ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 25 albums that should never have been made... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12-02-03 03:15 PM
Factory Girl Thank you, Nasty! I will listen to New Values tonight in your honor!
12-02-03 03:31 PM
Prodigal Son I've got some of my own "major artist" follies, in no particular order,
-Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants-Stevie Wonder: To follow up a masterpiece like Songs in the Key of Life with this new-age crapola is a true sign Little Stevie's days as an artist making meaningful music were over. I mean, what was left after 1979? "Overjoyed"? "Part Time Lover"? "I Just Called to Say I Love You"? Ugh. With a few exceptions ("Master Blaster" for example) his 80s work all spiraled downhill from this starting point (C-)
-Dark Horse-George Harrison. Hey I love George, god bless his soul, but this is hare krishna, god is great junk. Thanks to our darling ronnie, "Far East Man" actually gives an extra point to this dud (D)
-Self Portrait-Yikes, Dylan doing covers he barely cares about is bad enough but in the style and voice he does them and over two discs, it's wretched. Then again, I haven't heard the outtake album from it, Dylan (covered later). (D+)
-Some Time in NYC-John Lennon. Some songs do hit home, others hit you in the gut making you wanna burn the whole disc altogether. Topical, protest, political and outrage songs are the norm here. Bad band too, Elephant's Memory. You don't know pain until you here Yoko screech "Sisters O Sisters." I heard a 10 second snippet and felt the urge to vomit. (D-)
-Red Rose Speedway-Lots of peoplehere hate the Beatles, especially Paul, and this does nothing but add fuel to that fire. What an atrocity. Sappy reekiness "My Love," "C Moon" and throwaways galore. (D)
-Byrds-The Byrds. Worst Reunion ever (D+)
-Wings Wild Life-Paul makes another dubious appearance with a thrown-together band and setlist on his first of a series of crappy albums he'd make. (C-)
-Under the Blood Red Sky-Bob Dylan. After the glory of Oh Mercy, he emerged a year later with this dud. I think Bob should've absorbed the critical praise a little longer before releasing this to squash it. (C-)
-Dylan, Bob Dylan. This is an emberassment to such a great artist. "The Boxer"? "Big Yellow Taxi"? Ouch (E)

[Edited by Prodigal Son]
12-02-03 04:08 PM
Joey " Joey -- in the words of the great Lowman Pauling, "I know it's hard, but it's fair." "

Wasn't he a friend of Robert Newton ?!?!?!?!

Jacko !

12-02-03 04:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Disc 2 of "Some Time in NYC" by John Lennon is so fucking great and makes the whole album great, it's the infamous Plastic Ono Mothers playing live at the Fillmore! I love it... Lennon-Zappa with some little free-spoiling by the drowning witch from Japan

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
12-02-03 05:08 PM
Gazza 8. Having Fun On Stage
Elvis Presely (1974)

>And, in it's infinite wisdom, the record company thought it best to release not one, but FIVE VOLUMES of this! FIVE FUCKING VOLUMES!!!

this is absolute nonsense. It was only available for a short time as a single vinyl album after it came out in 1974 and even despite the upsurge in interest in Elvis albums after he died, it soon became very hard to find. Its never even been released on CD to this day. Still, never let the facts get in the way of a story...five volumes my ass...
12-02-03 05:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Having just bought the music-only version of Psychoderelict, it doesn't belong on that list. Plenty of good tunes on there, and the synth instrumentals are actually very cool, especially "M5".

That being said...

quote:
On the Fifth Day of May, Jacky Said...

Say what you want about THE WHO , but they never put out a " Dirty Work " !

Two words...

"Face...

...Dances."

Make it stop. Please, Joey, make it stop. At least "It's Hard" had "One At A Time", "It's Hard", "I've Known No War", "Eminence Front" and "Cry If You Want". Face Dances had "You Better You Bet", "How Can You Do It Alone" (only the live version's really worth it) and "The Quiet One"... and that's it. And the rest... was utter pop-tripe.

Let's hope Pete and Roger have had twenty long years to think about how to make some actual rock'n'roll, none of this "New Song" crap.

-tSYX --- When a man is running from his boss who holds a gun...
12-02-03 07:38 PM
mac_daddy I'm glad you all got a kick out of reading the article - I know I did...

a few thoughts (and responses):

PopMart DEFINITELY should have made the list for sure!!!

I'm with you (and the Dude) - the Eagles are fucking horrible...

Not all Genesis with Phil was bad - in fact Abacab is probably the only Genesis song I would be excited to hear right now...

SS - I like Emotional Rescue (and I still have nevewr listened to Dirty Work)...

It's Hard wasn't that bad - E Front and Another Tricky Day are good tunes (or was the latter on Face Dances)...

Vitology ain't that bad, either...

Whoever made the positive comment about Trans - that was the first positive thing I have EVER heard about Trans, although I hear his Poe project bites the big one, too..

I liked White City - he had that full band with horns, etc. Much less self indulgent than the Iron Tragedy...

Deja Vu - a terrible album? You are kidding, right - that is the band's apex.

Tonight sounds like a masterpiece when compared to Never Let Me Down - the sh*t album that spwaned the Glass Spider tour. Jesus - that is one of the worst things I have ever listened to...

Sgt Pepper's is a very over-rated album. The only essential title in the Beatles' catalog is Abbey Road (and maybe Revolver).
12-02-03 09:00 PM
Gazza I "LOVE" Trans. A lot of people didnt get the point he was making on that album and it went over their heads (read the "Shakey" biography and you'll see what its all about) Cant say I got it all at the time but its an album I really like. Neil Young has made a lot worse than that.

I also like "Its Hard". Especially "Eminence front" (I'm glad that they added that fantastic live version from the Toronto broadcast on the CD version). "face dances" is patchy but theres some ok stuff on it (ie "Daily records"). Dont start me on Townshend's "White City". The best thing hes done since "Empty Glass". "Give Blood" and "Brilliant Blues" are great songs.

"Dirty work" is weak by Stones standards..but its still better than "Satanic majesties" and a couple of others. Satanic Majesties is definitely a folly which belongs on that list. The Stones dont suit psychedelia and all that love and peace shite. There are a couple of terrific songs on DW , "One Hit" and "Sleep tonight". TSMR has about three very good songs IMO and the rest is unlistenable garbage. Excruciatingly embarrassing.

I also like "Self Portrait". Theres some dross on it but there are moments of sheer magic on it, such as "Copper Kettle" and even some of the cheesy stuff I really like. You cant consider the "Dylan" album (which was, contrary to popular opinion, mostly songs cut as "warm ups" during the 'New morning" sessions as opposed to "Self Portrait" outtakes) as a bonafide Dylan album as he never sanctioned its release. Columbia issued it in a fit of pique when he left them for Asylum in 1973. Its not even available on Cd now. "Budokan" is also a good album,I dont care what anyone says. Unfortunately its not the best representation of the 1978 world tour - the European shows that year were the best series of shows Dylan ever did. Dylan's put out a lot worse than those albums..check these 3 in a row from the late 80's - "knocked out loaded","down in the groove" (2 albums culled from numerous sessions without any direction) and "Dylan and the Dead". "Loaded" is at least partly redeemed by virtue of the fact that "brownsville girl" is on it. "Under the red sky" aint bad either...theres some very good songs on it (the title track, "born in time","handy dandy" etc)

bowies mid 80's albums arent that bad...side 1 of 'never let me down' is pretty decent. Its the unlistenable mid 90's drum and bass crap that I cant appreciate.

[Edited by Gazza]
12-02-03 09:07 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

Whoever made the positive comment about Trans - that was the first positive thing I have EVER heard about Trans, although I hear his Poe project bites the big one, too..

Deja Vu - a terrible album? You are kidding, right - that is the band's apex.

I'm confused. Neil Young did a Poe project? I thought LOU REED did a Poe project, and although it isn't as good as New York (or TRANSformer), it's not as bad as that terrible ECSTASY album, either. Or Growing Up in Public.

Trans is just weird, but obviously heartfelt. For truly bad Neil Young, Old Ways, Landing on Water, and that crappy Are You Passionate album are much worse . . .

Saying that Deja Vu is CSNY's apex is no compliment as far as I'm concerned -- Those guys basically created the formula for California EGO rock and are ultimately responsible for the Eagles and everything rotten about the 70s. But, granted, American Dream is MUCH worse. Deja Vu is a waste of a perfectly great Neil Young song, Helpless. . .

12-02-03 09:09 PM
Nasty Habits Gazza, you're right, there is a special circle in hell where people have to listen to Black Tie White Noise over and over again.
12-02-03 09:17 PM
mac_daddy eek - I misspoke(mis-wrote)... I was thinking Trans was the Lou Reed industrial deal, not Neil's album - I have never heard that one, but I know better than to judge Neil's work without a thorough listen. I have no intention of sitting through the Lou Reed debacle.
12-02-03 09:42 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Well, since he's putting bands and their solo efforts on there such as Genesis and Phil Collins, I would say that there should be a Jagger album in the place of Dirty Work. What'cha think, Primitive Cool?
12-02-03 10:06 PM
T&A Gazza - you and I are definitely on the same wavelength, Dylan-wise. Budokan is a personal fave of mine - but the shows from later in the tour are unbelievable - too bad no excellent soundboards exist. Some of the later US shows are pretty damned hot as well.
12-02-03 10:50 PM
glencar Funny but I agreed with everything on Nasty Habits' list until entry #2. Yes, a new Stones would have been vastly preferred but GITD was a modest success artistically.
12-02-03 11:15 PM
Martini Wow, this is a great thread. I actually like The Who's "It's Hard," but then again, I also once bought what, conceptually at least, may be the worst CD release ever: Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood."

I recall walking into a Tower Records, seeing a huge display of them, and thinking, "To whom is Pat Boone trying to market this freaking album? WTF?" It was a little too edgy for my grandma (who was a huge Pat Boone fan), and I didn't think his covers of AC/DC or Zeppelin tunes performed in a jazz swing style were going to cut into the core fan base of kids who dug Korn or Green Day, so it was a mystery to me.

Now I realize they must have been target marketing me, because I ended up buying one just to check it out. I still actually pull that damn thing out and play it really loud at around 4 AM when very inebriated nights cascade into early mornings. It is not a bad CD to listen to when you are pulling a "Glen Campbell" or a "Nolte."

The fun usually stops, though, when you run out of booze and can't buy more due to the local liquor laws that cut off sales between 2-7 AM. Then you are just left lying on the floor, trying not to have a "Bon Scott" episode, listening to Pat Boone sing "Smoke on the Water" while you gradually start succumbing to a massive hangover.

Oh, the pain, the pain.

-M

[Edited by Martini]
12-02-03 11:19 PM
glencar At least he did cover versions. That's got to be better than him making up new "metal" traesures.
12-03-03 12:21 AM
Sir Stonesalot Good LORD! How could I have forgotten Goddess In The Doorway!?! Oh yeah, that's right, I completely blocked it from my mind.

Here's this about Zooropa. I bought it, I listened to it, I scratched my head, I listened to it again, I scratched my ass, I traded it in...THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT IT!!! Pop was definately worse.

I got Tonite and Never Let Me Down mixed up...and I should have included Black Tie White Noise. Oddly enough, I like Outside and Earthling.

Now Gazza, you know why I dislike Budokan so much. Your own point illustrates it for me. Bob was doing stellar gigs in 78...so what happened when they rolled tape? It's like they forgot what that tour was all about! And fuckin' Columbia trotted it out anyhow. It never shoulda happened...isn't that what this list thingy was about...albums that never shoulda happened?

Blah Blah Blah sucks like a Hoover. That was back in the Iggy with a proper haircut days. The only decent cleancut Iggy album IMO was New Values. I just lurrrrrrrve 5 foot 1. Wait, was Iggy clean cut for Lust For Life? I don't remember. The new album is very very mediocre. Some of it is downright crappy. The lyrics are...well...stupid. In fact, the words to Little Electric Chair are so awful that they are good. "They'll be fryin' up some hair/In that little electric chair". I just crack up laughing whenever I hear it. Ron plays his extremely large ass off though....saves Igs hide IMO. I hate that song with Sum 41. Mostly because of Sum 41 though.

Ig...buddy...hint...get rid of everyone who isn't named Watt or Asheton.

That fuckin' Cat In The Hat movie never shoulda been made either. Very not good.
12-03-03 03:00 AM
Prodigal Son For the list, I'd also like to redeem Cut the Crap. It is not bad enough to be in that list and certainly not at #7. As for Neil, which Gazza brought up, he's had several clunkers but when you weigh that against his good ones, he only releases a dud 1 out of every 10 times on average. Others are spotty, but have their redeem9ing moments.

Trans is not terrible, just not my bag. Hearing Neil sing through vocoders was hard to listen to. But if you got that outta the way I would like it (then again, the communication gap was a take on his son's cerebral palsy-several rock fans now know him better than he knows himself after Shakey). He did worse with Old Ways. The original Old Ways was to be much better until Geffen sued him. Journey Through the Past is pretty wretched too. Landing on Water had its moments though, like "Pressure," "Touch the Night," "Violent Side" and "Hippie Dream" just too much drums-so loud, and a gross 80s digital sound.

Life had a lot of duds, but I like "Too Lonely," "Long Walk Home" (outside of the gun sound effects), "When Your Lonely Heart Breaks" (could've been better but still a lovely tune) and "Around the World" is okay. This Note's for You is mediocre, but saved by the title track and his inspired blues guitar work. Are You Passionate? I never heard, but I hear it's kinda mediocre, even more so than Broken Arrow while I find Silver and Gold to be average, not outstanding but a solid collection of acoustic ditties.

Hawks & Doves side 2 I find to be a little tedious. If you just edit it down to "Stayin Power," "Union Man" and "Hawks and Doves," it's decent. Side 1 of that is brilliant, "Little Wing," "The Old Homestead," "Lost in Space" and "Captain Kennedy" are low-key gems. Reactor is a decent hard rock boogie album but I can't take "Opera Star" and "T-Bone" because they're just too over-the-top/repetitve. "Shots" is haunting enough to escape crappy certification.

Everybody's Rockin' was too one-dimensional and could've used much better performances. Plus the production is cruddy to the max. "Rainin' in My Heart," "Payola Blues," "Wonderin," "Cry Cry Cry" are the only worthwhile tracks. Lucky Thirteen includes much better rockabilly-era live recordings by him, "Get Gone" and the awesome "Don't Take Your Love Away from Me." When, or if, the Neil Young Archives come out, we'll see there's even more legendary music to discover, plus turds that he churned out (hey, Neil wants people to hear the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to unreleased stuff and I want to as well).

This article has produced much interesting discussion it seems. I know Bowie released maybe the worst album by a credible, major artist in the 80s with Never Let Me Down. I know a friend of my brother's who is the biggest Bowie fanatic I know, like he'll scold me for not getting Bowie's newest stuff or having only 5 of his CDs (just not that interested and it's priced too high anyways). Even HE admits Never Let Me Down is dreadful. So it must be.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
12-03-03 06:47 AM
corgi37 My long held belief on the 4 worst albums by a major act is:
1. Face Dances - An absolute travesty. Not 1 "WHO" song on it. The nerve of them even releasing Dont let go the coat. I bet when they recorded "Cache" the glass in the control room was one way so the band couldnt see the people laughing. ANd how robotic is kenny jones? 4 on the snare, 4 on the 2nd tom, 4 on the 3rd, 4 on the floor tom, cymbal!! Keith Moon, cold and stiff, could play with more life than him.
2. In through the out door - No wonder it took Zep 4 years to make this. All the devil stuff and making groupies fuck fish sapped them of ideas. In the evening is ok. But, how many overdubbed guitars does Page need to make him sound good? Carouselambra is 1/2 ok. Just 1/2. The rest is just crap. The punks were right about them after all! Irrelevant. All of my love is a good indication of how lame Plant became.
3. Dirty Work - Hey, it really is bad. Dedicated to Stu, its one record where they really needed him. Imagine his thoughts on Back to zero. i agree with all the comments from the article that started this thread.
4. Soft Parade - The 60's man. Old Jimbo's school book of poetry had just about been used and he and the band had to come up with new shit. Shit indeed. The title track is pretty funky, and wild child is neat, but the rest it too much filler, too much drugs, too much booze. He wasnt the Lizard King on this, he was Perry Como in leather.
5. All Beatles albums - Fuck them, i hate them. Sgt Pepper is a joke on society, surely. They only got mildy interesting when they realised the Stones, Hendrix and probably the general swing to West Coast U.S. sound made them look pretty stupid in 67-68. So, they dropped the faggy silk suits, grew their hair even longer (how naughty) and tried to write some rude songs. Paul McCartney singing "WHy dont we do it in the road" is SOOOOOOOO naughty. Like Phil Collins singing Anarchy in the U.K. The most telling thing about the Beatles is that a cartoon series was made on them.
And yellow submarine!! For fucks sake! I have always hated them, and always will. Any band with Ringo in it, just cannot be taken seriously. Thank God Yoko came along. I just wish she came around in 64 though.

In closing, i would like to add that though i hate Bowie, i have the Tin Machine's 1st album and i really liked it.
12-03-03 07:32 AM
Factory Girl Well, I still like Blah Blah Blah, Party & Zooropa.

Ig should keep Whitey, lose Sum 41.

SS, check PM.
12-03-03 10:12 AM
F505 All albums of Phil Collins
12-03-03 10:48 AM
Trey Krimsin I don't understand. All of you have failed to recognize the cancer in music called Michael Bolton. Every album sold of his should be taken and placed in a big pile. Then you drop an A-Bomb on the pile.
12-03-03 10:57 AM
Factory Girl I guess we just don't consider Bolton a musician. As, such, he's not worthy of debate.

Ditto for C. Dion, Mariah, and tons of other refuse.
12-03-03 10:58 AM
glencar Michael Bolton? That'd be like mentioning Celine Dion. Superfluous. Unnecessary. Redundant. BTW At one point Michael Bolotin(real name!) released a song called "Fool's Gold" which was a hair metal type of thing. Bombed nationally & he moved on to ripping off dead soul guys - badly.
12-03-03 10:58 AM
glencar File under great minds think alike!
12-03-03 11:27 AM
Nasty Habits Budokan was recorded early in that tour, before the band really got its shit together. How I wish the Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte CD, from '78 in my own NC, sounded good! Great performance with a version of one of my favorite Dylan obscuros, "Where Are You Tonight (Journey Through Dark Heat)"! Now THERE'S a song that would floor me to see played again!

I suppose the Lou Reed/Poe thing depends on your fondness for one or the other and/or both. As a Poe geek from way back, I like it, particularly the double disc, where Poe is much more present. Give me someone reading those crazy words and I'm generally entranced.

This discussion actually made me pull out Zooropa and listen to it last night (do you guys realize what it takes to get me to listen to U2?! Congratulations!) and it was not a bad record at all. I'd forgotten how hilarious "Lemon" was. And the Wanderer remains one of the best songs Bono ever wrote, and to think that freaking Clapton was involved with it, too! What really makes it work, though, is Cash and Eno, who could have made an absolutely phenomenal album together (dream dream dream).

Goddess in the Doorway has some minor artistic successes on it, but as usual, if you would have put half those songs on an album with the Rolling Stones playing them, plus another four or five Keith songs and maybe a song the boyos knocked out together there would have been some serious rocking going on. Too Far Gone as a Stones song would have knocked some critical dicks in the dirt.

Iggy is pretty clean cut on the Idiot but gets some hair back for Lust for Life. Me, I also like Brick by Brick: the blue collar New York.

I think the general gist of this discussion is that the 80s were pretty fucking bad on everyone.

12-03-03 11:29 AM
glencar How mad am I that I don't ahve Zoorpoa but yet I did buy Pop? Oy vey!
12-03-03 11:30 AM
wkoetke
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
5. All Beatles albums - Fuck them, i hate them. Sgt Pepper is a joke on society, surely. They only got mildy interesting when they realised the Stones, Hendrix and probably the general swing to West Coast U.S. sound made them look pretty stupid in 67-68. So, they dropped the faggy silk suits, grew their hair even longer (how naughty) and tried to write some rude songs. Paul McCartney singing "WHy dont we do it in the road" is SOOOOOOOO naughty. Like Phil Collins singing Anarchy in the U.K. The most telling thing about the Beatles is that a cartoon series was made on them.
And yellow submarine!! For fucks sake! I have always hated them, and always will. Any band with Ringo in it, just cannot be taken seriously. Thank God Yoko came along. I just wish she came around in 64 though.

In closing, i would like to add that though i hate Bowie, i have the Tin Machine's 1st album and i really liked it.

FINALLY, someone agrees with me about Sgt Pepper. Even taken on its own merits, I'd rank it in the bottom of the Beatles catalog, beating out only perhaps some (though not all) of the syrupy pre-Rubber Soul stuff. But considering it's supposed to be the absolute greatest piece ever conceived, considering it's ranked in many lists as the #1 rock album ever (above, for example, even Beggars/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile), I'm with you that the universal adoration for this album has to be some big cosmic joke. Lots of filler crap (Lovely Rita? Good Morning Good Morning?), the "concept" (sorry, this ain't no concept album). Even the "hits" from this album suck. Day In The Life is at least creative and interesting. I think the people that love this album must associate it with some wonderful times in their youth, which is fine (that's probably why I think Dirty Work is decent), not the music.

I do like the White Album, Abbey Road, and Revolver, but most of the rest of it in the spectrum of mediocre (Let It Be) to crap (Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, etc.)
12-03-03 11:40 AM
glencar Several of us agree that Sgt. Pepper blows. Read the rest of the thread.
12-03-03 11:42 AM
Joey " I also like "Its Hard". Especially "Eminence front" (I'm glad that they added that fantastic live version from the Toronto broadcast on the CD version). "face dances" is patchy but theres some ok stuff on it (ie "Daily records"). Dont start me on Townshend's "White City". The best thing hes done since "Empty Glass". "Give Blood" and "Brilliant Blues" are great songs "

Gazza ....................I would like to nuzzle you .

Actually , you simply MUST hear my Soundboard WHO Disc from Denver 09/19/02 . It has the most scorching version of " Eminence Front " that I have EVER Heard !!!!!!! At this concert , and Jaxxy can vouch , Roger began to lose his voice midway through the gig so " The Chairman " REALLY picked it up a notch and delivered some of the most fiery fretwork of his career . I wish I had a burner so I could send you a copy of these two discs ( I bought them off of Pete's Web site ) .

Someday I will have the ability to burn these WHO Discs and I can send them to you ( Then again , if you do NOT want to wait , you can get them off of Pete's web site ) .

http://www.thewhostore.com/shop/basket.cfm

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacko !
Page: 1 2 3 4 5