ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: IMAGINE....DEC.8...... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-07-03 11:08 AM
SHINE A LIGHT December 8th is rapidly approaching and my thoughts are with John Lennon. May the good Lord shine a light on him and may John's light shine upon this world in which we all find ourselves.
"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" (John Lennon's "Imagine").
God bless John Lennon and thanks for the music, John.
12-07-03 11:09 AM
glencar 23 years already. Time flies. I saw a video for "I'm Losing You" this morning & I have to wonder how honest the lyrics were. It sounds like he wanted to dump the screech amchine.
12-07-03 11:41 AM
Stones Fan, Gar Remember that night, watching Monday Night Football, Howard Cosell saying Lennon had been shot. I felt , oh no, maybe it isn't true, then he came on and said he was gone, shock. Time does go by fast. Somethings just stick in your mind. Gar
12-07-03 12:22 PM
LadyJane It WAS so strange to hear such tragic news while watching Monday Night Football!! I'll never forget it.

Rest in Peace, John!!

LJ.
12-07-03 01:36 PM
Steel Wheels Gold rings on you, John. You and your band blazed the trail

Great singer, great writer, god damned great guitar player.
12-07-03 02:02 PM
Martha I heard the news at 6:30 a.m. the next morning...and immediately thought it had to be a terrible mistake. I waited.......... it wasn't. I have never been so deeply affected by the death of anyone except for my beloved Grandmother, Esther Melody, who passed in the spring of 1990.

My life changed dramatically as a result of the impact of John's death/murder on me. I will never be the same and I will never get over it. My life changed as a result, I left my unhappy marriage and my hometown and started my life again/over in February of 1981. It has been a long interesting journey ever since.

I always wear black on December 8th. I listen only to John's music on this day out of respect and because I never want to forget how much he committed his later life to speaking out about the human condition, unconditional love and how ferverently he and Yoko worked for and wished for peace on earth. Their examples have helped me become a bit more brave about living my life more honestly and authentically.

I thank you for posting a thread in John's, memory and I have a request of everyone. Can all of you please refrain, out of politeness and in honor and out of respect for John's memory, from saying anything negative and ugly about John's soul mate, collaborator, partner and wife, Yoko Ono? If you truly respect John as an artist and as a person and husband/Father you must know that these ugly barbs towards Yoko (was) would be the most hurtful and ugly thing you could ever say to him. He spoke about that often, it hurt him terribly. Besides, it is also misogynistic and racist to say such ugly and hurtful things. Which certainly detracts from honoring John's life and memory.

I thank you in advance for respecting this request.

Rest in peace John. I cannot thank you enough for your fine example and for what you gave to the world through your music and your actions. You were a very courageous, brave, vulnerable/open and honest person.

With love and respect,
Martha

"A little loving kindness in everything you do."
Neil Young (a devoted and loving husband)

"God is a concept...by which we measure...our.....pain."
John Lennon
12-07-03 02:24 PM
glencar Well, Martha, I always was a bit partial to Walking On Thin Ice so I'll drop the Yoko insults!
12-07-03 02:46 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, Martha, I always was a bit partial to Walking On Thin Ice so I'll drop the Yoko insults!

That is very kind of you to say and to do glencar. Thank you.

I cannot begin to imagine how horrific it had to be for Yoko to have witnessed the murder of her beloved husband right in front of her eyes that night. The thought of that is incomprehensible and impossible for me to imagine. Not to mention unbearably sad. How she ever found the strength to go on and to eventually survive that tragic horrendous event is way beyond the realm of my experience and thought processes. I send her many loving prayers especially, during this time of year. I know John would want me to do that.

I always thought that John would have never been able to withstand it had that insane fuck shot Yoko by mistake or instead. I don't think he could have (emotionally) made it through and survived that kind of devastating loss in his life. I just always felt that way. I remember having that come into my mind not long after he was murdered....it was a gut feeling type of thing. I think it would have destroyed him to see her murdered right before his eyes. He loved her deeply and dearly. I greatly admire that about John's character. And I can relate to that type of loyalty and vulnerability.
12-07-03 03:31 PM
Pattie
I've always admired Yoko, even since I was a kid.

for Lennon:

John, John, let's hope for peace!
12-07-03 03:38 PM
Stones Fan, Gar The thing that has always bothered me was ,why. It hit me hard that someone,insane or not,could kill someone in that fashion, right in front of their home. Famous or not.It was an awakening to me,at that point in my life, just out of high school,that life could be short. That there ARE monsters. That pain is temporary, no matter how long it lasts. Somethings just hit you harder than others, the sencelessness of murder, an untimely death,(as opposed to a timely death?)and the 'what could have been'. Well, I guess we can all remember and we have his music. Gar
12-07-03 03:56 PM
glencar I first heard it on NYC TV WCBS Channel 2. The newscaster was Roland Smith, a real nerd. The way he first described it, I thought it was a cap gun or something. A half hour later, I heard he was dead. I had the old WNEW-FM on & listened for most of the following week.
12-07-03 05:44 PM
kahoosier I was in medical school in Fort Wayne Indiana and will never ever forget the impact that it had on me. I remember calling friends all over the United States and trying to comprehend the horrible ridiculousness of it all.

Martha, I am so glad that you stand up for Yoko. Either on this site or another I have posted much of the same thoughts about her, though not so eloquently. What a horrifying thing to witness. I have always thought that without Yoko, we would have lost John much earlier to his excesses.

I have so much respect for her, and will always rememeber an interview that ran somewhat to this effect, though the exact words escape me now:
"Do you ever get tired of playing the grieving widow?"
"It is not an act, I AM THE GRIEVING WIDOW"

Yoko has always carried herself with a dignity since the assination that I am sure would have made John proud.
12-07-03 10:01 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oh, dear i seem to have touched a few of you with this post/thread. someone above has asked....why????.....yes, i ask that also.
i am afraid that i tend to partially blame that guy (i forget his name)on SNL who,just weeks before the murder, did a bit about john and gave the address and name of the dakota...john's home. oh i know there will always be the loonies out there, but i cannot help feeling that this bit on SNL drove the maniac directly to john's address.
from that day on, i have been extremely "protective" of people in the public eye and never divulge anything i come across which may cause harm to others.
maybe there's a lesson in this...i wish i could find it.
12-07-03 10:29 PM
Boomy
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
I was in medical school in Fort Wayne Indiana...

My hometown.
12-07-03 10:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I was born five years later, so I don't have any recollection of this, but my mother later told me she remembers vividly the deaths of only two famous people - John Lennon and Jim Henson - the former because he had such an effect on her growing up and the latter because he had such an effect on her children growing up. She and my father had gotten married two years before and were living in downtown New York when word got out.

They had seen John and Yoko walking the streets occasionally. They weren't celebreties, they were friends. Everybody said "Hi," or nodded. There were some obnoxious types, sure, but I think he loved New York because he felt he really fit in there. No one felt the need to scream and chase him down alleys because that just wasn't right. There was some sort of code of honor that said that he was to be treated like a guy you had a few with every day after work or who lived on your street growing up, a friend of everyone's. He was really the last friend everyone had. Then one day, some maniac just took it all away, and ruined the lives of countless others. My mother remembers Lennon dying, I guess, because he was her friend. Everyone's friend.

So today, siddown and listen to the music of everyone's friend, even if you didn't really like him, or couldn't really get him... because he was just fine with that. People like the Stones got used to him, got into him, found things in him they loved, and he found plenty of stuff he liked in them as well. I'm not his biggest fan, but damnit, he was something else, and above all, he really was everybody's friend.

-tSYX.
We all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun...
12-08-03 12:06 AM
Prodigal Son Yes, John deserves our respect and honour on Dec. 8. His music introduced me to the power of rock n' roll and music altogether. There will never be another and it is quite a shame he had to go like that. A murder is just an unfitting way for him to go down. If it was cancer or an illness he'd at least be going down fighting. Nonetheless, only the good die young.
12-08-03 05:40 AM
kahoosier Hey boomy...I made a mistake,I was actually in Indianapolis in Medical School, but I grew up in Fort Wayne and practiced there for about 8 years before heading out to the Pacific Islands. Good to know there are still Stones fans back there.
12-08-03 09:41 AM
jb Thank god it wasn't any member of the Stones.
12-08-03 10:09 AM
T&A Ah - leave it to JB to offer something really poignant on the topic...

I remember the MNF announcement, too, like it was only yesterday. A very, very, very sad time. I still get a bit emotional thinking about it. In some ways, that night, it seemed like the end of the 60's, if you know what I mean..
12-08-03 10:10 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Thank god it wasn't any member of the Stones.

Whether a Stone, a Beatle or a cold lawyer from Florida, a life is a life! I hope there are few like you in this world that share your perception.

A real shame that you can't see that, Josh.
12-08-03 10:19 AM
jb WTF? I just said thank god it wasn't a memeber of the Stones...there are a lot of crazy fans out there ...
12-08-03 10:20 AM
Lavendar Such feelings are stirred by this memoriam. I cried! How could you not, he gave us soooo much good music. IMAGINE
12-08-03 10:22 AM
jb Keno has a great John Lennon site!!!
12-08-03 10:31 AM
Joey
" John Lennon " is GOD to Keno .

Never criticize Lennon on Keno's site ( It would be bad ) . Then again , why WOULD anyone criticize Lennon , especially with the War in Iraq ( ie : Vietnam ) being lost ......................

How many more today ?!?!?!?!

How many more Billions ?!?!?!?!

Developing ...........................

Shiver .........................................

Joey Kissinger !

[Edited by Joey]
12-08-03 11:05 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
WTF? I just said thank god it wasn't a memeber of the Stones...there are a lot of crazy fans out there ...

You must be fooling yourself as others can easily see what you implied. You don't have to be marked "crazy" to identify sarcasm.
12-08-03 11:20 AM
jb Your right, I could give a ratt's ass about Lennon or any member of that other group...
[Edited by jb]
12-08-03 11:36 AM
Joey

That is very surprising Josh .

You are the first Jew I have EVER met who despises the Beatles .

P.S. " Macca has a real [ Ass Kicking ] side to him Ronnie "

Jacky Hayden !
12-08-03 11:42 AM
glencar Joey, don't get wobbly on us. Iraq will end in unerring victory by next November.
12-08-03 11:43 AM
jb Out of the lot, Lennon was certainly the most talented and thoughtful...I respect his stance on trying to make the world a better place and his anti-war stance on Vietnam....I also actually enjoyed some of his solo work...Indeed, I like the songs "Woman" and "Jealous Guy".
12-08-03 11:43 AM
glencar And to get this back on topic, Joshy I knew you would make a bad Beatles reference. But no man is an island.
Page: 1 2 3