ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: my generation sucks Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
November 23rd, 2004 04:44 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
There are loads of great modern bands - The Libertines, Razorlight, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Jet, The Ordinary Boys, The White Stripes, The Killers, Babyshambles, Franz Ferdinand for a start.

Then there is also bands like The Zutons, The Futureheads, Adam Green who also have some really good stuff plus there is plenty of good up and coming bands in the UK:

Kain, Thee Unstrung, The Others, The Paddingtons etc

You just need to look for it in the UK there is thriving music scene in many cities although I must profess my ignorance for other countries.

Mark

yeah i like a couple of those bands but only like one song from each band.todays bands are just not as good as old bands. there ok. i really like that one song "i just dont know what to do with myself" by the white stripes bc he sounds like mick jagger in that song.
November 23rd, 2004 07:49 PM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
the music these days are awful.

So true. It's hard to live in this world when Britney Spears is on the charts.
I'm 23 years old now and I became a Stones fan at 16. Guess what: IN ALL MY YEARS OF BEING A FAN I HAVEN'T HAD A NEW STONES STUDIO ALBUM!!!!!!!! I fucking hate that. And to top it I have to listen to the crap music of today?!?!?!!!???! What's wrong with this world????!?!?!?!!
November 24th, 2004 02:13 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
And to top it I have to listen to the crap music of today?!?!?!!!???! What's wrong with this world????!?!?!?!!

What's wrong with you??? That's the fair question here it seems. Come on youngsters, get off your lazy asses and find that music. It's there, just like it always has been. Or just broaden your taste a little bit, listen to stuff you normally wouldn't pick coz it's unfamiliar, in other words: grow up a little (no nasty tone intended, just the literal meaning). Complaining is silly; better do something about it...
November 24th, 2004 02:38 AM
mac_daddy there is alot of good stuff happening now, but you won't hear it on clear channel radio...

go see live music. alot of bands with little to no airplay blow up night in and night out...

check jambase.com for dates near you. dont be put off - it is not just hippy (phish/dead) stuff listed there...

also - check the archive.org. lots of free, LEGAL downloads. much of it is available as mp3, so you can stream a few tunes in no time, at work, even...

while the traditional, record company, top 40 scene is stale, in truth, it has been for a very long time. for instance, have you read a billboard chart from the '70s to see what was popular at the same time as sticky fingers or exile? you will be surprised to see how much garbage was on top then, too...

there is a vibrant music scene today, centered around bands that play their instruments, perform regularly, and rock the house. many of them are no longer distributing stuff via tower records, but via other means like downloads and independent lables. as angiegirl has astutely pointed out, the onus is on the listener to seek the good stuff out...
November 24th, 2004 07:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think Angiegirl is talking so much sense in this thread!

Look, all you need to do is find out some dates for one of today’s bands and just go a long. Simple as that. Most of today’s "retro sounding" bands only play theatres, so you are not looking at hefty ticket prices!

I was stuck in the 1960's when I was 16, but I saw the light and realised that there’s so much more out there.

I stopped mooching in my bedroom listening to the Stones and started going to Indie and Rock clubs. You discover great music and make friends as well.
November 24th, 2004 02:52 PM
Scot Rocks Alex you talk a lot of sense as well mate. Your situation was the exact same with me, I used to think there was nothing else there today that I liked. I only listened to music of the past, then I went to a few gigs, found about a new scene and discovered and still discovering so many new bands and met so many cool people.

Like others have said, its out there, now go and find it!

Mark
November 24th, 2004 03:44 PM
JumpingKentFlash Well believe me. I've tried. Over and over again I have listened to new music. Every genre has been covered more than 5 times at least. And it's just not good. What more can I say??? It just sucks monkey balls for the most part. The only cool thing I found recently is the White Stripes.
November 24th, 2004 03:49 PM
jb
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Well believe me. I've tried. Over and over again I have listened to new music. Every genre has been covered more than 5 times at least. And it's just not good. What more can I say??? It just sucks monkey balls for the most part. The only cool thing I found recently is the White Stripes.

You will never be #1 fan as you love beatles ...you are not in the same class as the real, 100%, loyal Stones fans....
November 24th, 2004 03:55 PM
oldkr get down to london JKF!!! loads of fuckin great new bands around you need to look for some independant record stores and local bars to find the good music! thats the way all the best bands get famous

BECAUSE IM OLDKR
November 25th, 2004 05:39 AM
JumpingKentFlash OldKR: There's actually a couple of independant record stores here in Aarhus. But I never found anything I like in there. My guess is: London is 100 times better than Aarhus when it comes to those shops. I'd love to go there sometime.

JB: You're seriously crazed my man. You are a weirdo if I ever saw one. Don't speak about being the #1 fan if you have no idea what it means. Your rank on the fan chart is the lowest there ever was, because you are a moron. I think you're just being an ass because you enjoy ticking people off. I bet you don't even know who Mick Taylor is.
November 25th, 2004 05:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Well believe me. I've tried. Over and over again I have listened to new music. Every genre has been covered more than 5 times at least. And it's just not good. What more can I say??? It just sucks monkey balls for the most part. The only cool thing I found recently is the White Stripes.

JumpingKentFlash, of course every genre has been covered many times, but at the end of the day, Good Rock N Roll, is Good Rock N Roll. I take it that you mean there is nothing original about today’s bands? Well, there is nothing wrong with emulating your hero’s and trying to sound like them. The Stones did that and at the end of the day, Rock N Roll is always primarily going to be, guitar, bass and drums, so its never going to sound a million miles different anyway.

Have you listened to The Libertines? They have created they’re own friggin’ World! I’d actually have them down as the most original band at the moment.

At the end of the day, it’s up to you. I take it you’re a teenager? Ahh, there’s time to change. As I said, I was once like you.

Alex
November 25th, 2004 05:54 AM
Zeeta Too right HTM!

Push things forward and listen to new stuff as well - it doesn't mean you can't then go and listen to the Stones a hundred times over, but give yourself a break and hit the new stuff, you will feel refreshed by it man.

The new Libertines album BTW is absolute shite *compared* to their first one...agreed? It's still ok but tunes like Horrorshow on Up the Bracket I feel will never be surpassed.
November 25th, 2004 06:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
The new Libertines album BTW is absolute shite *compared* to their first one...agreed? It's still ok but tunes like Horrorshow on Up the Bracket I feel will never be surpassed.

The new Libertines album is not shite! It’s certainly isn’t as good as their debut. One moan I have about it is that the production sounds to polished and the songs sound far too worked out. The raw energy of their debut is lost on the new one.

They are never going to top classics like Time For Hero’s or The Boys In The Band. Those encapsulate what the band was/is all about. Those songs are so, well, arghhhh.. Bloody perfect. They sound like they were knocked out in one take and I’m just in love with that record, basically

November 25th, 2004 06:48 AM
Zeeta Yeah it's the blueprint for our generation LOL!

Seriously good album.

I never said that the album was shite, I said it was shite compared to their old one...which quite frankly it is!

You still dig Razorlight? I think they sound a bit too much like the Strokes, which for me is a problem! Although I can't deny the Jonny's raw energy and his playing...

November 25th, 2004 07:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
You still dig Razorlight? I think they sound a bit too much like the Strokes, which for me is a problem! Although I can't deny the Jonny's raw energy and his playing...

Yes I still dig Razorlight. I haven’t stuck their album in the player for about a month now, so I think it’s due a play. It was one of those cds, which I played non-stop when I purchased it and then it sits in the shelf for months on end gathering dust.

I’m actually hoping to catch them on December 9th at Wembley Arena. I have tickets to see The Manics and they’re the support, but if truth be told, I think the boozer in me may have its evil way and stay in the pub a bit too long.

Zeeta, do you not dig the Manic Street Preachers at all? You must like their Richey Edwards era output. Generation Terrorists, Gold Against The Soul and The Holy Bible are all great albums. To get the rest of their good songs, I just bought their Best Of.

I’m actually going through a bit of a Richey phase at the moment. Discovered that one of his sightings was at the Underground Bar in Futueraventura. I spent nearly every bloody night there on holiday!

PS: Do you not agree that Motorcyclr Emptiness is near musical perfection? What the fuck happend to 'em!
November 25th, 2004 07:13 AM
Jumacfly I ve recently discovered the Detroit Cobras, a good indie us band!
anyone here??
November 25th, 2004 07:14 AM
Jumacfly Zeeta great 78 banner man!!
November 25th, 2004 07:16 AM
F505 My avator is back!
November 25th, 2004 07:17 AM
F505
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
OldKR: There's actually a couple of independant record stores here in Aarhus. But I never found anything I like in there. My guess is: London is 100 times better than Aarhus when it comes to those shops. I'd love to go there sometime.

JB: You're seriously crazed my man. You are a weirdo if I ever saw one. Don't speak about being the #1 fan if you have no idea what it means. Your rank on the fan chart is the lowest there ever was, because you are a moron. I think you're just being an ass because you enjoy ticking people off. I bet you don't even know who Mick Taylor is.

JB did it again.
November 25th, 2004 07:18 AM
Zeeta No I pretty much dislike them...Motorcycle Emptness is Excellent but most of their early stuff is overshadowed for me in how shit they are now. I really can't be arsed to get into them...maybe my loss but there's better stuff to do!
I think that richie was fuckin nuts but I think he kept them on their toes - without him they just lapse into "for the love of Richard Nixon" et al. Their music of late depresses me and I'd rather not listen - see "if you tolerate this" - I just wanna get the noose out at that point!
I prefer uplifting rockin shit traditionally.

OK how do you rate the Zutons? I cn't really decide about 4 tracks on their album are amazin the rest I could just bin...
November 25th, 2004 07:19 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Zeeta great 78 banner man!!

Thanks!
November 25th, 2004 07:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man The Zutons? Hmmm... I think I've only heard one song. I think they're a band I need to check out.

In all honesty, I've lost touch a little. When I was 18, I was obsessed with todays latest bands and I always had a copy of the NME with me.

Alex
November 25th, 2004 08:45 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Zutons? Hmmm... I think I've only heard one song. I think they're a band I need to check out.

In all honesty, I've lost touch a little. When I was 18, I was obsessed with todays latest bands and I always had a copy of the NME with me.

Alex

I love them...great album, but i ve found a track called "devil" or something like that who s not on the record...
their ballads are fine but they can rock too in a folk way with a sax, which is very very fresh!!
check pressure point and groove havana gang browl, the higlights of the record IMHO!!
see ya

JU
November 25th, 2004 10:09 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

JumpingKentFlash, of course every genre has been covered many times, but at the end of the day, Good Rock N Roll, is Good Rock N Roll. I take it that you mean there is nothing original about today’s bands? Well, there is nothing wrong with emulating your hero’s and trying to sound like them. The Stones did that and at the end of the day, Rock N Roll is always primarily going to be, guitar, bass and drums, so its never going to sound a million miles different anyway.

Have you listened to The Libertines? They have created they’re own friggin’ World! I’d actually have them down as the most original band at the moment.

At the end of the day, it’s up to you. I take it you’re a teenager? Ahh, there’s time to change. As I said, I was once like you.

Alex

I really see your point. I don't think there's anything wrong with emulating the heroes. But I still think it's shite what comes out today. I have also heard the Libertines..........Don't like it very much. Normally I love 2 or 3 tracks with a new band (if it's good of course), but the rest is always utter crap. And I listen to it very much, because I want to give it a chance. But it helps nothing. It's still not my taste and I still don't think it's good. And I always say: Why listen to the stuff that's just good when you can listen to all the stuff that's awesome??? BTW: I'm 23.
November 25th, 2004 10:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man Your 23? Oh Dear God, it's too late for you then!

No, no, I'm only kidding. Like and enjoy whatever music you choose. I just say theres two kinds of music. GOOD music and BAD music. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what decade it was recorded.

Alex
November 25th, 2004 11:56 AM
Jumacfly Kent, check out:
the Creedence Clearwater Revival anthology
Grand Funk Railroad
the Faces box set...

great RNR man!!
see ya
Ju
November 25th, 2004 03:04 PM
JumpingKentFlash HTM: I don't care when it's recorded either.
Jumac: I love all of those already. Except the Faces. The Faces were good but not great. I like Ronnie's solo albums better.
November 25th, 2004 08:46 PM
Soldatti I really like the Faces' box set.
November 25th, 2004 10:04 PM
Madafaka JumpingKentFlash, why your sign says "Shidoobee Rules"? As a Rocks Off member, I feel a bit jealous...
November 26th, 2004 05:28 AM
JumpingKentFlash Shidoobee doesn't really rock my boat at the moment. But the sig changes by itself every now and then.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood