ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: my generation sucks Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
November 18th, 2004 12:56 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
the music these days are awful.

I don't agree. there are good music nowadays, turn off your radio, your MTV, and look for it!
November 18th, 2004 01:30 PM
Riffhard There IS good music out there for sure,but the record companies sure as hell are not trying to promote it. They are selling flavor of the month shit that sells to kids that do not know any better. I would also strongly dissagree that the music of today is as good as it was back in the 1960's and early 1970's. I mean shit just make a list and compare. Are there any guitar players in today's music sean that have had the impact or the skill as Jimi Hendrix,Eric Clapton,Jeff Beck,Pete Townsend,Keith Richards,Jimmy Page,Frank Zappa,or even Jerry Garcia? Will any of today's players be as iconic as any of these that I have listed? The short answer is no.

If I were to ask people on this board to name the guitar player of,oh I don't know,.....say,Disturbed? Anyone? Ofcourse not! You don't know. The reason is simple. Today's bands are nameless and faceless. However,if I were to ask,who was the bass player for the Who everyone would immediatly know the answer. Who is the drummer for the Beatles? The guitar player for Cream? Or for that matter the drummer and bassist for Cream?

Today's kids that actully like the music of the '60's and '70's should be commended. They actully had to reject the coporate shite that has been force fed to their peers and look for the real deal. Those of us old enough to grow up with the likes of the Stones,Beatles,The Who,etc. have always known they were a special breed,but we only had to reject shit like the Eagles,Poco,Firefall,Bread,and all the other shit corporate rock of the '70's. We did not have to put up with MTV or VH1 constantly pushing the current crop of crap down our throats. Hell,even Rolling Stone magazine was good back in the day!

I would say that there is some very good,even great, music out there today. The difference is that you really have to look for it these days. Not so back in the '60's. Back then it was everywhere. Today it's behind the stacks of the latest Jessica Simpson cds.

Riffhard

[Edited by Riffhard]
November 18th, 2004 01:58 PM
thejuf this is NOT MUSIC we're talking about, is it?

November 18th, 2004 08:36 PM
Soldatti This is the worst decade of the history for the music, the 90's and 80's were golden eras in comparison...
November 18th, 2004 08:42 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
the music these days are awful.

my advice to you would be to turn off that gawdamned Mtv, I don't even know if it plays music anymore, but it's worthless music-wise
November 18th, 2004 10:23 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
This is the worst decade of the history for the music, the 90's and 80's were golden eras in comparison...

don't you mean 'half-decade'? 2010 hasn't happened yet.
just an example of how quickly people always are to say this is the worst (or best) time for music ever. people have said that of every decade.
November 19th, 2004 06:26 AM
magicwoman agreed mjgirl.The music frome these days sucks.a couple of years ago the music sucks and it still do!I hate it.i wish i was young in the 60s !
November 19th, 2004 11:59 AM
headshrinker
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Do you really think that Linkin Park will be selling out arenas and stadiums after fourty years? Hell no! Those days are over. The only band around today that may very well be celebrating their 30th anniversary is U2,and there has not been one band since them that has a snowball's chance in hell of lasting even twenty years
[Edited by Riffhard]

Oasis will be around for another 10 years (taking them to 23 years from when they formed)selling out stadiums and arenas. and before i get abused, the proof is in the fact that they sold 300,000 tickets in 3 hours the other day for shows in the summer. After the beatles, stones and led zep, they are the biggest british band ever. u don't c U2 shifting that many tickets so quickly
November 19th, 2004 12:01 PM
Madafaka
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I agree, Angie. But these kids today--there's a reason why they are morbidly obese--they won't get off their asses and look for new music. They will just sit in front of the TV, and take whatever MTV gives them.

You made me laugh, but I think you're right.
November 19th, 2004 01:51 PM
jb One of the things that disturbs me about todays's young people is the complete lack of hygience they exhibit. I have seen on hundreds of occassions young people urinating and yet leaving the bathroon without washing their hands with soap and hot water. Simple hygience can ensure a germ free society where people can feel comfortable opening a door handle or shaking another's hand...this is a huge problem which must be brought to the attention of local health auhtorities.
[Edited by jb]
November 19th, 2004 01:59 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
One of the things that disturbs me about todays's young people is the complete lack of hygience they exhibit. I have seen on hundreds of occassions young people urinating and yet leaving the bathroon without washing their hands with soap and hot water. Simple hygience can ensure a germ free society where people can feel comfortable opening a door handle or shaking another's hand...this is a huge problem which must be brought to the attention of local health auhtorities.
[Edited by jb]

They just want to be rockstars.
November 19th, 2004 01:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
One of the things that disturbs me about todays's young people is the complete lack of hygience they exhibit. I have seen on hundreds of occassions young people urinating and yet leaving the bathroon without washing their hands with soap and hot water. Simple hygience can ensure a germ free society where people can feel comfortable opening a door handle or shaking another's hand...this is a huge problem which must be brought to the attention of local health auhtorities.
[Edited by jb]

Don't worry too much, in ten years time spy cams will be in all public restrooms. Then they can be fined or incarcerated. I mean I'm sure that most people would gladly give up some privacy for a germ free society.

November 19th, 2004 08:48 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
One of the things that disturbs me about todays's young people is the complete lack of hygience they exhibit. I have seen on hundreds of occassions young people urinating and yet leaving the bathroon without washing their hands with soap and hot water.

LOL
November 20th, 2004 05:12 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
There are just as many great bands and artists as there have always been.

name one. wait i like the yeah yeah yeahs and theyre new. name 2 good new bands.
November 20th, 2004 05:17 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I agree, Angie. But these kids today--there's a reason why they are morbidly obese--they won't get off their asses and look for new music. They will just sit in front of the TV, and take whatever MTV gives them.

thats true for most teens but i never watch mtv. but ill occasionally watch vh1.
November 20th, 2004 05:29 PM
iluvmickjagger07 mtv shouldnt be called mtv bc i dont think they ever play music. they always show gay reality shows
November 20th, 2004 07:19 PM
Scot Rocks There are loads of great modern bands - The Libertines, Razorlight, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Jet, The Ordinary Boys, The White Stripes, The Killers, Babyshambles, Franz Ferdinand for a start.

Then there is also bands like The Zutons, The Futureheads, Adam Green who also have some really good stuff plus there is plenty of good up and coming bands in the UK:

Kain, Thee Unstrung, The Others, The Paddingtons etc

You just need to look for it in the UK there is thriving music scene in many cities although I must profess my ignorance for other countries.

Mark
November 20th, 2004 11:49 PM
BILL PERKS JOSS STONE IS THE ONLY NEW ARTIST I CURRENTLY DIG
November 22nd, 2004 05:34 PM
gypsy I agree with josh. It is disgusting...those teenagers with zero hygiene (it's NOT hygience, josh)...not washing their grubby little hands after using the restrooms. I have to x-ray them at times. I make damn sure they don't touch me. And I ALWAYS wear gloves with each and every patient. Because you never know. I've x-rayed many people, and then two days later you get a memo that they have hepatitis, HIV, or full-blown AIDS.
Amen josh!
November 22nd, 2004 05:55 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I agree with josh. It is disgusting...those teenagers with

http://www.visualsolutions.de/amylocane/
November 22nd, 2004 05:58 PM
gypsy Thanks joey! She was on the first season of Melrose Place...but she got axed really fast. Not a very good actress...but very pretty. Remember her as Johnny Depp's love interest in "Cry Baby?"
November 22nd, 2004 05:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
There are loads of great modern bands - The Libertines, Razorlight, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Jet, The Ordinary Boys, The White Stripes, The Killers, Babyshambles, Franz Ferdinand for a start.

Then there is also bands like The Zutons, The Futureheads, Adam Green who also have some really good stuff plus there is plenty of good up and coming bands in the UK:

Kain, Thee Unstrung, The Others, The Paddingtons etc

You just need to look for it in the UK there is thriving music scene in many cities although I must profess my ignorance for other countries.

Mark

some of those bands are pretty good, but (with the probable exception of The White Stripes who have been around for a while) I think its being a bit premature to call anyone great when, in many cases, theyve only made about one album...
[Edited by Gazza]
November 22nd, 2004 06:00 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks joey! She was on the first season of Melrose Place...but she got axed really fast. Not a very good actress...but very pretty. Remember her as Johnny Depp's love interest in "Cry Baby?"

No.

One Word ! :

Airheads
November 22nd, 2004 09:35 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
There are loads of great modern bands - The Libertines, Razorlight, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Jet, The Ordinary Boys, The White Stripes, The Killers, Babyshambles, Franz Ferdinand for a start.

Right on Mark! Many, many great bands, howe can one miss them??? And they really aren't in any underground scene. Most have been playing club tours and the larger festivals all summer...
November 22nd, 2004 09:44 PM
Scot Rocks
quote:
Gazza wrote:

some of those bands are pretty good, but (with the probable exception of The White Stripes who have been around for a while) I think its being a bit premature to call anyone great when, in many cases, theyve only made about one album...
[Edited by Gazza]

Fair enough, maybe not great, but just illustrating that there is plenty of good stuff going about and a lot of potential.

quote:
Right on Mark! Many, many great bands, howe can one miss them??? And they really aren't in any underground scene. Most have been playing club tours and the larger festivals all summer...

Definately Angie, I dont know if it is the differing exposure that they may get from country to country. In the UK anyway there is definately a large indie crowd (maybe cos im a student) that follow all those bands at that type of music.

Mark

November 22nd, 2004 10:46 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:

Only two or three of this bands are good.
November 23rd, 2004 05:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:

Mark

The Libertines = Amazing band. Full of energy, they look great, play great and have 2 top-notch albums under their belt. Sadly, unless something DRASTIC happens, that's all we’re likely to get.

Razorlight = Stunning debut album. Johnny Borrel is a great front man and was once considered joining the Libertines. I'm seeing them open for the Manics next month and I can't wait!

Kings Of Leon = YAWN! I just bought their second album and it puts me to sleep. They look kind of cool, but to me, this band proves that looks are not everything. The Bucket is a cool song though.

Kasbian = Never heard them

Jet = Very good Aussie band. Its just plain and simple good Rock N Roll. Clichéd lyrics, but they sound great. They are the kind of band you can switch off too. Forget what they are singing and how dumb the music is, just get pissed and nod your head!

Babyshambles = Pete Doherty's side-project, NOW his main interest along with crack and heroin. Never heard them, but they are recording an album, so will be buying it

White Stripes = everyone knows about Jack and Meg. Fell in Love With A Girl! Does anything else really need to be added?

The Killers = Are they that band from Vegas? Heard one song I think. Really like it, but anyone the NME champions, I tend to be a bit sniffy with. They are often right, but I need to hear more of this band.

Franz Ferdinand = every students favourite band. I'm no student, but I actually quite like them. I remember slagging off Take Me Out a while back on this board, but.. pssst... I quite like it!

There, Soldatti. More then a couple of those bands are good.

Alex
November 23rd, 2004 05:19 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Killers = Are they that band from Vegas? Heard one song I think. Really like it, but anyone the NME champions, I tend to be a bit sniffy with. They are often right, but I need to hear more of this band.

Saw and heard them on the BBC last week, I was shocked at how bad they sounded live, especially the vocals!!! They only did 1 song, but, wow, let's just say I understood what modern studio equipment is capable of...
November 23rd, 2004 11:06 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
This is the worst decade of the history for the music, the 90's and 80's were golden eras in comparison...

You obviously need to start listening to Tom Russell, Dave Alvin, Wayne "The Train" Hancock, Dale Watson and Hank Williams III.
November 23rd, 2004 12:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

You obviously need to start listening to Tom Russell, Dave Alvin, Wayne "The Train" Hancock, Dale Watson and Hank Williams III.

Yeah really, it's not the music OR the "generation" that suck, it's the RADIO & TV that suck!!!!

FUCK THE RADIO & TV.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood