ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
You rule Chief!!
KeyArena, Seattle, Washington - October 30, 2005
© 2005 Chief Moon
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SBC Park, San Francisco - November 13 - setlist, pix, review Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 14th, 2005 04:23 AM
Jeep 1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Live With me
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Oh No Not You Again
6. Rain Fall Down
7. Sweet Virginia
8. All Down The Line
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
----- Intros ------
10. Slipping Away (KR)
11. Infamy (KR)

12. Miss You (to B-stage)
13. Rough Justice (B-stage)
14. Get Off of My Cloud (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (from B-stage)

16. Sympathy for the Devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Brown Sugar
19. Satisfaction

20. You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
21. Jumpin Jack Flash (encore)

-----------------------------------------------------

San Francisco Chronicle page one :

November 14th, 2005 08:19 AM
montana wonderful pic
November 14th, 2005 08:40 AM
Jeep From the San Francisco Chronicle :

Stones Rock SBC Park
Joel Selvin, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, November 14, 2005

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/14/DDstones14.DTL&hw=rolling+stones&sn=001&sc=1000

What does Mick Jagger have left to prove?

The 62 year-old vocalist for the Rolling Stones has been world famous since he was a youth. His accomplishments have been indisputable. If there was anyone in the world who could coast on his reputation a little after all these years, Mick Jagger might be that guy.

OK, then what was he doing Sunday at SBC Park bellowing his brains out, digging into his inner self, driving himself to deliver the kind of galvanizing, electrifying performance that made him famous 40 years ago in the first place?

At the first of two sold out, high-priced San Francisco concerts, the biggest rock shows of the year, rock and roll’s most celebrated senior citizens took the stage with the offhand command that has been a trademark since before many in the capacity crowd were even born. Guitarist Keith Richard stroked the chord flourish that kicks off “Start Me Up” and Jagger charged onto stage in skin-tight black jeans and gold lame jacket.

But instead of his customary athleticism, racing around the stage as if he intended to literally exhaust the audience, slender as a knife Jagger focused his intensity on his singing. His vocal performance instantly lifted the band into realms the Rolling Stones haven’t more than briefly visited for many years.

But as the band heads toward a half-century of making music, the Stones continue to explore virgin territory for rock bands. To find any kind of parallels, you have to look outside the world of rock, perhaps, to the realm of jazz where orchestras led by Duke Ellington or Count Basie maintained remarkably stable membership over many years. It was said that it took 40 years to refine those horn blends. Perhaps guitarists Richards and Ronnie Wood, who only joined the band in 1976, already more than 15 years into its history, are only just now reaching similar levels of empathy and telepathy.

When the Rolling Stones started, a rock group was lucky to have a second hit. Three hits was a career. Richards likes to look to role models such as Chicago bluesman Muddy Waters (whose song gave the band its name in the first place), who played vigorous, powerful music well into his 70s. From the way the band played Sunday at SBC, there is no telling how long they can take this.

Beginning with the 1989 “Steel Wheels” tour, after Mick and Keith kissed and made up and put the band back on the road following a long layoff, the Stones laid out a blueprint for their stadium performances the band has continued to perfect over subsequent tours, each approximately three years apart. They have maintained a tidy ensemble with the various backing musicians and horn players that fill out the sound and the Stones have learned how to produce spectacular theatrical rock on a truly grand scale.

Performing on a stage set roughly the size of a five-story downtown office building, the Stones strut and stagger in front of a 60-foot video screens, music blasting with surprising clarity for the volume. At one point, as the band launched “Miss You,” the stage actually levitated and rolled out on rails deep into the audience. Even the band’s opening acts make the Stones appear all the more Olympian – Metallica, last seen in these parts headlining their own baseball stadium gig, willingly joined the bill as the local warm-up act.

The Stones shifted band configurations on virtually every song. Behind the stuttering, cascading orchestrations of “Tumblin’ Dice” was the full compliment of four horns, three extra vocalists and two other additional players. For “Live With Me,” saxophonist Bobby Keys joined the basic five-piece ensemble to recreate his solo from the “Let It Bleed” album. “Rain Fall Down” from the band’s new album, “A Bigger Bang,” found the core group comfortably in funk drive, strongly featuring bassist Darryl Jones, still the new man in the band after 12 years.

Jagger played harmonica and strummed acoustic guitar for “Sweet Virginia,” the countrified classic from “Exile On Main Street” that had Richards chiming in with his unique harmony vocals, wonderfully ragged on top of the three-voice background chorus. Richards laughed his way through his own solo spot, unable to make it straight-faced through his plaintive soul ballad, “Slipping Away.”

But it was Jagger’s fiercely focused performance that burned into the show its red-hot molten core. Charlie Watts, who gives dignity to the entire profession of drumming, may have provided the elemental wheelhouse of the big sound. Richards with his buccaneer antics and genuine swashbuckling exploits on guitar, never far from Chuck Berry, may have been the engine of the band. But it was Jagger who made the songs come to life.

He let the always impressive Lisa Fischer steal the show momentarily on “Night Time Is the Right Time,” an unusual Stones tribute to Ray Charles (“a blues pianist we very much followed,” Jagger said), but stepped back up to reclaim the song with a searing soul man scream the very next verse.

In plum-colored velvet hat and three-quarter length coat, he climbed inside “Sympathy for the Devil” and made its menace fresh, its leer hanging deliciously understated in the highly charged air, as Richards squeezed a pair of high-voltage solos into the mix.

He found the anthematic heart of “Paint It Black,” in many ways, the most Stonesian song of them all. And, miracle of all miracles, he sang “Satisfaction” like he still meant it, no matter how many bad wedding band versions, inept parodies or other musical atrocities have been committed over the years in its name.

But that goes for Jagger himself. No matter many of those other guys come and go – Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, whoever – Jagger remains the one. Rather than rest on his laurels, he is going for the throat. Most sane men his age would be thinking about early retirement. The autumnal Jagger, it would appear, has given up caricature for detail, abandoned the broad stroke for the fine point. He has discovered nuance and found somewhere in his own third act a new source of meaning and inspiration.

He can do this as long as he wants.
November 14th, 2005 08:58 AM
tumbled what a well written article. FINALLY a great writer and an enlightened review of the magnitude of talent and soul put out by all. thanks for posting.

"Perhaps guitarists Richards and Ronnie Wood, who only joined the band in 1976, already more than 15 years into its history, are only just now reaching similar levels of empathy and telepathy."

empathy and telepathy. very good.

[Edited by tumbled]
November 14th, 2005 09:32 AM
Gimme Shelter The show was incredible.
November 14th, 2005 11:04 AM
speedfreakjive Isn't this a debut for Sweet Virginia?
November 14th, 2005 11:09 AM
erikjjf
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Isn't this a debut for Sweet Virginia?

They played Sweet Virginia in Charlottesville.
November 14th, 2005 11:48 AM
Jumping Jack The video is on RS.com
November 14th, 2005 12:28 PM
MarkP The Stones put on another great show at SBC Park in San Francisco last night. It was my 11th Stones show since 1981, and my wife's 7th. I prefer the indoor shows, but we were lucky and had a relatively warm and very clear November evening in San Francisco.

The new songs add variety, and I think helps keep the band on their toes...they can't go on autopilot with the new songs.

Last night we had a nice version of Sweet Virginia, a fierce All Down the Line, terrific crowd pleasing Get Off My Cloud from the b stage, and sandwiched in the "hot rock's" section, Paint it Black. When they started playing PIB, my wife remarked that she had heard that one for a long time.

Keith, and more unusually, Ronnie, were freely moving all over the stage. Ronnie was playing great, looked confident, and it makes a big difference for the band (IMO).

Looking forward to Tuesday night!

Mark
November 14th, 2005 12:46 PM
monkey_man This was the first time in a long time that I have seen the Stones in SF at Nov. stadium gig when it hasn't been raining. It was perfectly clear and warm for a SF night. The highlights of the show were Sweet Virginia, Get Off My Cloud and PIB. I got to see Sweet Virginia twice as they did it during soundcheck. . . awesome! I can't wait for Tues night!!
November 14th, 2005 01:18 PM
glencar You were inside for the soundcheck? Or did you mean you heard it from outside?
November 14th, 2005 01:21 PM
monkey_man I was inside. . .I work for the local promoter. I was being paid to watch the Stones. . .it doesn't get better than that!
November 14th, 2005 01:38 PM
lotsajizz sweet
November 14th, 2005 02:18 PM
Jumping Jack So what else did they play in the sound check?
November 14th, 2005 02:21 PM
monkey_man All Down The Line and Rough Justice
November 14th, 2005 02:22 PM
T&A fun up in the On Stage boxes - totally different perspective. best part really is watching the front of the stage crowd digging it. Sound wasn't great - loud, but boomy up there - we were about 8 feet from the back of the KR side PA stack. You felt it more than you heard it.

Looking forward to a more normal experience Tue on the field.
November 14th, 2005 02:43 PM
jgrl I have been following the Stones since the mid 60's but last night...and I was 9 rows from stage and I all ways have been lucky by lottery or just waiting in the rain all night and end up by the stage but the price of our tickets $1600 left me cold! It took away from the magic. I just looked around and said how do these people do it..I feeling down...and that has never ever happened after a Stones concert. I even collect Ron Wood's art! I need a better perspective. Thinking of driving to Fresno and sitting in any seats and just re-wind.
November 14th, 2005 03:22 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jgrl wrote:
I have been following the Stones since the mid 60's but last night...and I was 9 rows from stage and I all ways have been lucky by lottery or just waiting in the rain all night and end up by the stage but the price of our tickets $1600 left me cold! It took away from the magic. I just looked around and said how do these people do it..I feeling down...and that has never ever happened after a Stones concert. .

in interviews, Jagger will always claim that their exhorbant ticket prices are to cover the cost of putting on the best show possible so that the fans fully enjoy themselves.

what he doesnt get is that no fan can truly enjoy themselves while having to fork over such a ridiculous amount of money to see the band.

Jagger lives in a world that is very, very removed from reality
November 14th, 2005 04:03 PM
Dan Metallica setlist (too short - the gig was over by 10:45pm - WTF?)

1.Orion
2.Master Of Puppets
3.No Leaf Clover
4.King Nothing
5.Fade To Black
6.I Disappear
7.Turn The Page
8.Sad But True
9.One
10.Nothing Else Matters
11.Enter Sandman

first Orion?
November 14th, 2005 04:06 PM
gimmekeef I'm not defending high prices but the market seems willing to pay.Apparently 40000+ did.And the person here who paid $1600 likely paid a broker or scalper so they made the choice....If your boss let you set wages and you said you wanted double and he/she said ok...would you refuse?
November 14th, 2005 04:54 PM
Poplar Solid show. Mick gave it 100%, no doubt about that. Like charlotte, it was very clean and profesional... they really have it down to a science.

My only gripe would be some of the crowd, which could have beem more enthusiastic, considering the beautiful weather and all. The upper deck (for the most part) was pretty much on its collective ass for the first half of the show. The b stage seemed to get people fired up a bit... maybe this is just why i prefer the arena shows, it bottles up the energy... get ready Fresno.

Highlights (in oder): GOMC, SV, ADTL, RFD (awesome), PIB. Infamy was nice too.

to everyone going tomorrow night - have fun. I highly recomend the right field view level for a few songs: great sound, and a great view of the stage and the Bay... good beer tent out back, too.

ps - Mick's line about giving Gavin his gun was funny.

[Edited by Poplar]
November 14th, 2005 05:13 PM
GimmeExile What was Everclear's setlist?
November 14th, 2005 05:19 PM
monkey_man
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
What was Everclear's setlist?

I was working in the area behind the stage (not backstage) for Everclear and Metallica and the only Everclear tune I heard that recognized was "father of mine."
November 14th, 2005 05:37 PM
pdog
quote:
Poplar wrote:
My only gripe would be some of the crowd, which could have beem more enthusiastic, considering the beautiful weather and all. The upper deck (for the most part) was pretty much on its collective ass for the first half of the show. The b stage seemed to get people fired up a bit... maybe this is just why i prefer the arena shows, it bottles up the energy... get ready Fresno.

Same gripe here.... She Rat was pissed, people had sticks up their asses...
We bailed from our seats and went over by the right field wall. You could smoke and She Rat was dancing and singing up a storm. We were so cramped in the field section and the people looked like fucking manicans. Fresnooooo... God I want to go... I don't think I can work it out!
Arena shows are far better this tour!
November 14th, 2005 06:33 PM
Poplar
quote:
pdog wrote:
Same gripe here.... She Rat was pissed, people had sticks up their asses...
We bailed from our seats and went over by the right field wall. You could smoke and She Rat was dancing and singing up a storm. Fresnooooo... God I want to go... I don't think I can work it out! Arena shows are far better this tour!

it was my girlfriend's first Stones show. she was blown away by the band, was even mad at me for "underselling" them before the concert .. ha! maybe i did
but like me, she was down on the crowd. we too moved right at the start of teh show, and got in that little nook of seats right on the cusp of the upper level. everyone there had made their way down so they could dance and sing, etc... cause that just wasn't happening in the seats. once we got situated, we had a blast... but looking around the stadium, i was thinking "come on folks, the boys are rocking." amazing but true: the charlotte crowd was WAY more into it. had the crowd responded last night, it could have been a five star evening. crowd knocked the show back to a 3.74 or 4 star show. Fresnooo, pdog, you wanna go.

ps - we had some beers at Utah Hotel (cool place) but left at about 7:15 to catch some Metalica.

show was spectacular, stage was beautiful, but still: arenas or bust folks.
November 14th, 2005 06:49 PM
T&A pdog's been offered it - but if he passes - i'll open the offer to anyone else who wants a face-value ($180) Fresno seat right on the center rail between B-stage and main stage. tix were bought with pre-May9 access. only down side is that you gotta sit (stand) next to moi.
November 14th, 2005 07:05 PM
Dan And I still havent lit my Fresno ticket on fire. Any decent offer (doesnt have to be anywhere near face) will save it from a fiery inferno.
November 14th, 2005 07:24 PM
mac_daddy glad you folks up north had a good time...

how far of a drive is it from los angeles to fresno..?

aand what night is the concert there..?
November 14th, 2005 07:27 PM
Poplar
Fresno is Sunday night. not sure of the time from LA.
Me and the little lady will be in sec. 123, row A.
also, we'll be juiced up and sloppy.

hope to see some of y'all.
November 15th, 2005 12:03 AM
GimmeExile Too bad about the lame crowd. At the two stadium shows I attended this tour (Giants Stadium, Pittsburgh) the crowds were very fun and loose..drinking, dancing and singing along. I find the arenas are more likely to attract a more subdued and too-afraid-to-get-dirty bunch.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)