ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest Stones mistake Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 16th, 2004 06:29 PM
Riffhard Their biggest mistake?

Shit that's an easy one.

They should have kept the houndstooth matching suits with the black velveteen lapels!

Nothing screams rock and roll louder than houndstooth baby!

Riffhard
November 16th, 2004 06:49 PM
Soldatti Biggest mistake: no new album in 7+ years, unforgivable.
November 16th, 2004 07:27 PM
Gimme Shelter Not touring behind Undercover and Dirty Work.
November 16th, 2004 08:14 PM
corgi37 Oh, so many mistakes. I'm drooling over this post! hahaha. Mean prick that i am.

Not in order, just numbered.

1. Satanic Majesties - We can all try and play it up, and say we love it. But most of it is utter crap.
2. Not touring U.S. for 3 vital years in mide-late 60's - Ok, law and Brian didnt help, but it was a missed opportunity to counter-act the emerging Doors, Dead, Joplin, Airplane, Creedance, Hendrix.
3. Getting a bit TOO arrogant, particularly 70's - Trying to be aloof like Led Zep, instead of being the band of the people.
4. No record for 7 1/2 years - that one was easy!
5. No tour of Oz for 22 years - You bastards talk about their greed! They didnt tour here from 73 to 95. They should have been banned from coming here! Pricks! 81-82 tour was soooooooo close, but at last minute, fell through. I am very, very bitter at their treatment of one of their biggest per capita markets. But, its all $$$$ aint it!
6. Getting too big for their britches to have a Oldham or a Rudge to tell them what to do.
7. Getting old.
8. Getting unintersted - Particularly Keith! Who could ever imagine him losing it? Well, some one point out to me 1 fully fledged fucking good song he's created since 97? I mean, not even anything with the Wino's!
9. Not releasing dvds of past tours.
10. NO MORE FUCKING LIVE ALBUMS! Still Life should have been the last.
11. Not releasing R&R Circus in 68.
12. Allowing the ABCKO hassles to go on so long.
13. Jaggers hairstyle in 89-90.
14. Keith dying his hair lately.
15. Ronnie not being able to handle the grog.
16. Too high ticket prices.
17. Poor compilation albums
18. Failing to release anything like Hard days night, Help, or even, Head in the 60's.
19. Allowing Keith to sing only dirges.
20. No official and widely available clips for HTW, BS, or even Tumblin Dice.
21. Not closing Live Aid - couldnt even put their sooky antics behind them for one of the biggest events EVER in rock history.
22. Not meeting Elvis.
23. Dirty Work

I dont consider Altamont fully their fault.
I blame MT for leaving, no one else. The baby!
I dont blame them for Bill leaving.
I dont blame them for ditching Brian.
I dont blame them for being ignored for Woodstock, but geez, i wish they were!
Monterey too!

Generally, there really isnt alot that to complain about. Its all pretty minor shit.

Apart from recent years.
November 16th, 2004 08:22 PM
telecaster Not hooking up with good, really good producer for the last
20 plus years
November 16th, 2004 08:26 PM
Lazy Bones Booking the Palais Royale club gig the same night that Dylan played down the street when I couldn't back out (16-Aug-02).

Fuckers!
November 16th, 2004 08:44 PM
J.J.Flash 1 - Chuck Leavell;
2 - Chuck Leavell;
3 - Chuck Leavell;

and last but not least...

Chuck Leavell.
November 16th, 2004 08:58 PM
kath
quote:
"Chuck is our direct link to Stu. Without that continuity, the Stones would not be the Stones."

so, let me get this straight...

chuck is now channeling stu???

saints preserve us!!!

November 16th, 2004 10:20 PM
Steel Wheels The biggest mistake they ever made was refusing my request to play at my 2003 Christmas party. My basement would have fit them perfectly.
November 16th, 2004 10:28 PM
kath ditto honaaayyy.

i live in the fanciest trailer park in all of salem, oregon. why we have a hot tub and everything!! nice little meeting room with a fireplace. we could have made it work.....
November 16th, 2004 10:33 PM
gypsy OMG! Jair, you're so wrong. But you are entitled to your opintion, of course.
YGTS is sooo good with Keith's vocals...he wrote that for Anita...there is so much fucking EMOTION in that song. Also, Keith's voice is great on that song. I rank that up there with "The Worst" as the best Keith vocals.
November 16th, 2004 10:41 PM
kath yeah...you've got the silver is keef's song. anybody else doing it would have been a sin.

he's GREAT on that song. and yeah, i like "the worst" a lot too, gyps. and "thru and thru"....

November 16th, 2004 11:13 PM
BILL PERKS KEITHS LAST 2 ROLLING STONE COVERS
NO RARITIES BOX SET
November 17th, 2004 12:52 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jair wrote:
IMO, Keith lead vocals in You Gotta The Silver. I rather the Mick Jagger lead vocal take

the Stones have made plenty of mistakes in their 40+ years. But Keef singing "You Got The Silver" is far far far from being one of them.

one of the greatest Stones songs IMO. Thanks largely to Keith's singing. Keiths got soul.

I find it shocking that you would even suggest that.

you've seen the "Harlem Shuffle" video, right?
November 17th, 2004 01:41 AM
kath LOL!!! really........
November 17th, 2004 06:42 AM
Jair
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
(...)
the Stones have made plenty of mistakes in their 40+ years. But Keef singing "You Got The Silver" is far far far from being one of them.

one of the greatest Stones songs IMO. Thanks largely to Keith's singing. Keiths got soul. (...)

I didnt say i don't like the song. I don't like Keef vocal because i prefer the Mick's take...Did you ever listen that?
November 17th, 2004 01:36 PM
gypsy Keith just EMOTES on YGTS...he is so sincere...throwing it all away for Anita...knowing his heart will be broken...but he loves her so much, he doesn't care. He sounds like he's going to cry while singing that song. That is KEITH'S song.
November 17th, 2004 02:36 PM
Factory Girl YGTS was originally recoded with MJ on lead vocals. However, when MJ was in Australia filming Ned Kelly (???!!!), YGTS tape with MJ vocals was destroyrd. B/c MJ couldn't come back from Australia to re-record, Keith had to do the vocal honors.
November 17th, 2004 02:39 PM
Jair Thanx for the info on the song, Factory Girl.
How the MJ version came 'til us?
November 17th, 2004 02:48 PM
icydanger stones, an amazing story

i agree with many of you, too much time in between new commercial releases other then pre-digested, and expecting a new set of stone rocks.

Even before the tour i remember many impatients were waiting for a new rock stone mark.

Is it that difficult to get together and compose about emotions in life? Is reality that hard? Is it that expensive?

Biggest mistakes?

the communication difficulties between Keith and Mick, and maybe also between other members of the band during the 4 past decades. Circumstances, lead to search of the true identity.
it's not really a mistake, it's a malaise

but then, one can always dream for a surprise soon,
some may think the stones are affraid of building a new concept together.

take the scream out collectively,
a new album please

blue rolling ....

November 17th, 2004 03:04 PM
Factory Girl Jair, I never heard MJ version of YGTS.
November 17th, 2004 03:14 PM
Snappy McJack "Chuck is our direct link to Stu. Without that continuity, the Stones would not be the Stones." - Keith

Um, uh, eh....huh? What? Why? So are you saying that "Back to Zero" kept the Stones going?

November 17th, 2004 04:08 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jair wrote:

I didnt say i don't like the song. I don't like Keef vocal because i prefer the Mick's take...Did you ever listen that?

actually what you said was that it was "their biggest mistake". Which is a comment that I find to be absolutely ridiculous.

I've heard the MJ version. Its good. I prefer the Keith version. Either way its far from being their biggest mistake.

when you suggest that its their "biggest mistake" please keep in mind that we are talking about a band that:
� taunted authority to the point that it got them jailed
� hired Hells Angels as security at an enormous concert, which resulted in the death of a fan.
� made the crappiest pyshadelic album ever
� thought Billy Preston was talented
� dueted with Justin Timberlake in front of 490,000 fans
� dressed up in pastel Miami Vice jackets for the cover shoot of Dirty Work
� made a video with cartoon cats
� didnt tour for 7 years in the 80s
� drove ticket prices to astronomical and ridiculous amounts
� hired Babyface and the Dust Brothers to produce their last studio album
� paid Ron Wood a ton of money just to have him walk out onstage completely shit faced and pretend to play guitar
� have waited 7 yrs and counting since their last album

but yeah, Einstein, I guess that coin flip on the YGTS vocals was the true utter disaster of their career
November 17th, 2004 04:15 PM
Joey

Two Words :

Dirty Work !
November 17th, 2004 04:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

Two Words :

Hiring Klein.
November 17th, 2004 05:05 PM
kath
quote:
when you suggest that its their "biggest mistake" please keep in mind that we are talking about a band that:
� taunted authority to the point that it got them jailed
� hired Hells Angels as security at an enormous concert, which resulted in the death of a fan.
� made the crappiest pyshadelic album ever
� thought Billy Preston was talented
� dueted with Justin Timberlake in front of 490,000 fans
� dressed up in pastel Miami Vice jackets for the cover shoot of Dirty Work
� made a video with cartoon cats
� didnt tour for 7 years in the 80s
� drove ticket prices to astronomical and ridiculous amounts
� hired Babyface and the Dust Brothers to produce their last studio album
� paid Ron Wood a ton of money just to have him walk out onstage completely shit faced and pretend to play guitar
� have waited 7 yrs and counting since their last album

but yeah, Einstein, I guess that coin flip on the YGTS vocals was the true utter disaster of their career

FUNNIEST POST EVER!!!!!!

November 17th, 2004 05:11 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:

FUNNIEST POST EVER!!!!!!

Kath .............................

I just left a " floater " in the men's room toilet .

......you got a cookie for the Joey ?!?!

" Seeds of Joey , Ronnie ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJOEY ! �
November 17th, 2004 05:27 PM
Ronnie B. Wood dueted with Justin Timberlake in front of 490,000 fans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for non-realising LOVE IS STRONG with keith on vocals, its the best keith-on-vocals song...
November 17th, 2004 05:40 PM
icydanger yes a beautiful team
November 17th, 2004 06:34 PM
Some Guy aging gracefully
Page: 1 2 3