ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ . 17th November 2006
© Egeboy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: AZ Cardinals Stadium Phoenix 8th Nov. 2006, Setlist-Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
9th November 2006 12:09 AM
monkey_man Thanks to Shidoobee for the setlist!

1. JJF
2. IORR
3. LSTNT
4. She Was Hot
5. Far Away Eyes
6. Streets of Love
7. All Down the Line
8. Midnight Rambler
9. Tumbling Dice
Intros
10. YGTS
11. Connection
12. Under My Thumb
13. Oh No Not You Again
14. Start me Up
15. HTW
16. SFD
17. PIB
18. Satisfaction
19. Brown Sugar

[Edited by monkey_man]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinals_Stadium

[Edited by Gazza]
9th November 2006 12:22 AM
Poplar
Sup Monkey Man? Sorry I missed ya in oakland. Maybe Vegas, eh?
9th November 2006 12:37 AM
WattsAtScotts Awesome set so far
9th November 2006 12:38 AM
monkey_man
quote:
Poplar wrote:

got it. thanks man.

That being said I hope we get to connect on Sat!
9th November 2006 12:43 AM
Poplar vegas baby!!!

as for tonight's show - ADTL is always nice. a good rival for Bitch.

[Edited by Poplar]
9th November 2006 12:52 AM
monkey_man
quote:
Poplar wrote:

hey mm, pm'd ya some vegas planning suggestions.

Back at ya!
9th November 2006 01:16 AM
WattsAtScotts They only played 3 songs on the bstage?
9th November 2006 01:20 AM
monkey_man It does seem like they are shortening it a bit.
9th November 2006 01:25 AM
Poplar
I'm guessing someone just missed SMU.
9th November 2006 01:26 AM
Poplar
there ya go - the doobies just added it.
9th November 2006 02:37 AM
FotiniD I'm hoping for another duet on Faraway Eyes
9th November 2006 04:51 AM
The Wick Just got back from a truly amazing show. There was just something in the air tonight. The love between the band was the primary reason for an unbelievable show. Mick and Keith are on one of those phases where they look like friends of old and best friends. There was far more contact between those two than any of the others with each other. And when Keith took the stage, Mick said something to the effect of "rock it mate," after he got a genuine nod of appreciation from Keith. I wonder if there is something wrong with Keith though because there was something slightly odd about everything. I don't know if it's par for the course, but he left the stage for SOL.

One big difference I noticed though was that in the parts that Keith started flubbing, Ronnie stepped up and took over, and when Ronnie missed stuff, Keith really took over and sounded amazing. He was generally a more dominant character in terms of starting songs, etc, than I have ever seen him before. And as for Keith, last time, he sounded dodgy and missed a lot. This time, the parts he nailed were superb and the parts he flubbed, Ronnie Wood compensated for. The thing I wonder though is how much of it is Blondie. Nonetheless, Keith played some really outstanding stuff, especially towards the end of SFTD where his guitar playing was as good as ever. I remember something he said once that if he's running around it's either because things are going very well or very badly. He ran around the stage a few times tonight.

The biggest compliment I can give Ronnie Wood is that there were parts where I honestly thought in my head that it was Mick Taylor playing. It just shows how much talent the guy wasted- smoking much more than before by the way.

It was almost like they were kids again tonight. The sound was dodgy at the start, Keith and Ronnie didn't nail everything, and not every song worked, but the ones that did were outstanding and it was like the old days where everything may not have been perfect, but the feel and spirit was extraordinary. Highlights being Under My Thumb, Let's Spend the Night Together, SFTD, Paint It Black, Satisfaction (the best version I have heard in ages), Honky Tonk Women, Far Away Eyes, and above all Midnight Rambler.

The show started out shaky with Jumping Jack Flash not really coming through well because the sound people really didn't get it right. You could hardly hear Mick's voice. The sound improved substantially, but there were parts throughout the whole show, especially on Ronnie's solos, that the pitch was so high that it sounded like feedback. It's Only Rock and Roll was weak and they should can it. People would rather hear a different song and this was the only song of the night where it looked like they couldn't give a toss and none of them enjoyed it. Let's Spend the Night Together was, for the audience, a treat as last time it was a far less interesting set. I thought the old timers were all about to spontaneously start shagging when he said they were going to change the set around and announced the song. The playing wasn't remarkable, but it was all about the feel. Far Away Eyes was the perfectly placed song and it just made the whole crowd, who raised eyebrows with the country choice, mellow out and got them set for an amazing show. Ronnie Wood's pedal steel was just beautiful and combined with Jagger's unbelievable vocal it was just one of those magical performances of the song. She Was Hot was perhaps a weaker number, but again, the sound was horrible and the arrangement is not fast enough, although if they play it at the gigs you go to, ignore everyone and enjoy Charlie and Daryl Jones. It sounded like Bill and Charlie playing together again on that one track.

I don't post that often, but maybe one or two might be familiar with my hatred for Streets of Love. With that hatred still firmly in place, I have to admit, the song worked. This is where the sound got fixed, and Mick played some lovely guitar, as did Ronnie. It sounds unbelievably better live.

Midnight Rambler- Oh my fucking God this was brilliant. The best part was Jagger's harp. He is a true master when it comes to rock and he was so good. It's odd how he tries to pull moves like Aguilera and nonsense like that, but even the little kids who were there loved the bluesier stuff the most, especially this song- good thing they had no idea what he's singing about though. Not only the musicianship, but his bloody dancing and moves on this one. He was nonstop, truly out of this world. Under My Thumb was another small surprise and this was one where Ronnie Wood played some great stuff. Again, they didn't nail everything, but the feel was great. Same with Tumbling Dice, although I've heard much better versions.

Keith's set was pretty good. Ronnie Wood doing some lovely stuff on You Got the Silver (although how much of it is Blondie?) and Keith's voice sounded surprisingly strong. Connection was slightly different than the Winos version, slightly slower and less energy, but a much richer sound than with the Winos so I enjoyed that side of it.

The B stage was solid and although the majority of the crowd didn't really get into Oh No Not You Again, it was a a really solid job there. With Honky Tonk Women, the crowd were in their palms. Jagger didn't even have to sing the chorus because the crowd was so loud.

The end was just a great climax to the evening. They were superb on all 4 songs. Like I said, there was just something very loving and a real special air about them tonight. I got there intentionally late to miss Alice Cooper, but he came on late so I saw some of his set- very average and what the fuck were those balloons? I know some of you are his fans, but not my favorite. Better than that pile of crap Jason Mraz from last time though.

We all say different things: Keith is the heart, Charlie keeps things running, but when it comes down to it, Mick Jagger is just remarkable. He is a true original. No one in the world is even close to him in what he does. The guy is not human he's so good live. I hated the Aguilera slot and am still somewhat bitter, but I knew I would say this and can happily say that no one can ever come close to them. They're in their sixties and no band can come close to performances like that and songs like that. Now I'll just wait for the wanker to say that the show was crap.

[Edited by The Wick]
[Edited by The Wick]
9th November 2006 05:40 AM
Gazza Nice review, thanks. Keith leaving the stage during SOL is a first,as far as I know.

Maybe he needed a piss break and decided to do so on a song where his presence isnt THAT necessary and because half the audience seems to do so on that one anyway. Revenge for all the piss breaks the crowd takes during HIS set I supose
9th November 2006 05:44 AM
Daethgod great review dude
wish i was there

9th November 2006 07:02 AM
Jeep Photos Michael Schennum / The Arizona Republic

9th November 2006 07:05 AM
Jeep Stones inaugurate new stadium in style
Larry Rodgers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 9, 2006 02:12 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/1109rollingstonesrev.html

Fans at the University of Phoenix Stadium had something to cheer about for a change on Wednesday night, as the Rolling Stones inaugurated the $455 million venue with its first concert.

This was the superstar act that the operators of University of Phoenix Stadium had sought, and the 44-year-old group didn’t disappoint about 35,000 fans who paid up to $500 for tickets.

Singer Mick Jagger and co-leader and guitarist Keith Richards, both in their early 60s, seemed to feed off the occasion to deliver an energetic set that lasted nearly two hours.

Classic rocker Alice Cooper of Phoenix also got into the act, with a well-received opening set in Glendale.

“It’s great to be playing in this brand new stadium,” Jagger told the crowd early on. “It’s a beautiful place.”

The band made the evening even nicer with a surprise decision to keep the stadium’s retractable roof open, after announcing earlier that it would be closed. Perhaps the mild temperatures persuaded Jagger, who recently had been ordered to rest his voice, that it would be no threat to his throat to play under the stars.

The Stones are on the home stretch of their 116-show Bigger Bang Tour, and that seemed to energize Jagger, Richards, guitarist Ron Wood, drummer Charlie Watts and their touring band.

Six weeks ago at Giants Stadium in New Jersey, that wasn’the case, as Richards seemed downright sluggish and Jagger did less of the dancing he’s famous for.

But both were firing on all cylinders on Wednesday, keeping the enthusiastic crowd on its feet much of the night.

Still defying his age (63), the slender Jagger unleashed his full catalog of dance moves as he worked the 200-foot-wide stage during such classics as the show-opening “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “It’s Only Rock ’N Roll (But I Like It),” “Under My Thumb” and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

A dedicated fitness freak, Jagger still only shows his age above his neck, where a few more lines creep into his face with each tour.

Richards, meanwhile, looks fully ready to play Johnny Depp’s father in the next “Pirates of the Caribbean” film at age 62. Wearing his trademark headband over his dark, scruffy hair and smoking cigarettes for much of the show, Richards is no longer concerned with vanity.

But he still can throw down old-school rock riffs better than most any player his age on such favorites as “Tumbling Dice,” from 1972’s “Exile on Main Street” album.

Wood showed his picking skills on one of the evening’s lesser-known (to those mainly familiar with just the hits) treats, a rollicking version of “All Down the Line,” also from the “Exile” album.

Wednesday’s set was a bit more eclectic than some shows on this tour, which has focused mainly on the radio hits that earned the band a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.

Crisp versions of “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and “Paint It Black,” the latter with deft accompaniment from Wood, helped pace the set.

“She Was Hot,” one of the few standout tracks from 1983’s “Undercover” album, and a star turn by Richards on the ancient “Connection” also spiced things up. Richards and Wood gave 1969’s “You Got the Silver” a bluesy acoustic remake that was well-received.

As they launched into 1966’s “Under My Thumb,” part of the Stones’ massive stage detached and motored down a long runway toward the end of the stadium.

This provided a treat for those in the far reaches, some of whom complained about echoing and distorted sound after the show.

The band played four songs in that location, including the strong new rocker “Oh No, Not You Again.”

The Stones unveiled some impressive pyrotechnics, shooting from the top of their 92-foot-tall stage, during “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Satisfaction,” and their massive video screen (49 by 50 feet) remains the clearest in the concert world.

Backed by longtime collaborators Chuck Lavelle (piano), Bobby keys (sax) and Darryl Jones (bass), as well as two singers, a singer-guitarist and three other horns, the Stones still crank it up with the best on rockers like the show-ending “Brown Sugar.”

Given the strength of this show, it’s easy to imagine this bunch launching yet another lengthy tour in a few years if they get the itch to hit the road again to earn another few hundred million dollars and give Bill Gates a run for his money.

Local hero Cooper proved a good choice to start things off Wednesday. He and his young, four-piece band got more attention than many acts doomed to open for the Stones. Outfitted in full leather regalia and mascara, Cooper blew through many of his hits, including “I’m Eighteen,” “School’s Out” and “Under My Wheels.”

At age 58, Cooper can still get a crowd dancing with infectious tunes like the show-opening “No More Mr. Nice Guy” and “Be My Lover.”

Cooper also dug beyond the obvious hits a few times, with the frenetic “You Drive Me Nervous” and “Is It My Body,” from his classic 1971 album, “Love It To Death.”

Guitarists Damon Johnson and Ryan Roxie traded flashy leads on one of Cooper’s newer songs, 2005’s “Woman of Mass Distraction,” and 1976’s “Go to Hell.”
9th November 2006 07:10 AM
PartyDoll MEG Good review, Wick! Thanks... and as alway, thanks for the photos,Jeep!
9th November 2006 07:16 AM
Gazza Meg - can you check your pm. Thanks.
9th November 2006 07:40 AM
Moonisup 40.000
9th November 2006 08:06 AM
LadyJane Nice setlist!!

No Miss You!!

A little concerned about Keith leaving the stage, though.

LJ.
9th November 2006 08:10 AM
Gazza he probably just got 'caught short' and it was a Joey-style "abrupt end of transmission"...

can happen to the best of them.

"Bowels are old...."
9th November 2006 08:57 AM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

only 35k
9th November 2006 09:05 AM
Some Guy Dudes knocked the dust off that puppy.
9th November 2006 09:07 AM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Dudes knocked the dust off that puppy.

We expected a large walk up, but it didn't happen...seems 35-40k is most we can hope for in a stadium...not too bad, but not like 60-80 as in the past.
9th November 2006 11:22 AM
Gazza Ageless Rolling Stones enliven Glendale
By Chris Hansen Orf, Get Out
November 9, 2006
Since University of Phoenix Stadium opened last August, there hasn’t been much to cheer about in the multi-million-dollar structure. After all, this is where the atrocious Arizona Cardinals attempt to play NFL football.

Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger performs "Jumpin' Jack Flash" during the band's tour stop at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. Photo/Ralph Freso Tribune

So the Glendale stadium hasn’t heard many deafening roars like the one The Rolling Stones, the self-proclaimed “Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World,” kicked up during their concert (more photos) Wednesday night in front of an estimated 40,000 fans.

Opening up with “Jumping Jack Flash,” singer Mick Jagger — well into his 60s but still the greatest frontman in rock — preened about the stage while the rest of the band — guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood, drummer Charlie Watts and honorary Stone, bassist Steve Jordan — strutted in and around Jagger as the singer worked his majestic stage presence.

The Stones, who played nearby Glendale Arena (now jobing.com Arena) last November, mixed up the set list Wednesday playing obscure numbers like the country tune “Far Away Eyes” from the 1978 “Some Girls” album, “You Got the Silver” from 1969’s “Let it Bleed” and the rocking “She Was Hot” from 1983's lackluster 1983 “Undercover.”

But it was the Stones’ hits the crowd came to hear and reserved its greatest applause for, such as “Satisfaction,” “Under My Thumb,” “It’s Only Rock and Roll,” Start Me Up,” Honky Tonk Women“ and “Sympathy For the Devil.”

“This is my first time seeing The Stones,” said Linda Risseeuw, 59, of Tempe, who said she has been a Stones fan “since there was a Stones.” “I figure I couldn’t call myself a true part of the ‘60s never having seen The Rolling Stones.”

By the time the band played their only encore tune, “Brown Sugar,” the huge crowd, both youngsters and longtime fans, was on its feet, saluting The Stones as they took a bow at the front of the massive stage.

“I grew up listening to The Stones,” said Regina Braunstein, 24 of northeast Phoenix. “My mom saw them at Madison Square Garden in 1969. They are ageless!”

The biggest rock star the Valley has produced, shock rocker Alice Cooper (interview), opened the show, and while the set was surprisingly short on theatrics (no mock executions or boa constrictors), Cooper delivered a spirited 45 minutes of his classic punk-meets-metal hits, playing such classics as “I’m Eighteen,” “Billion Dollar Babies,” “Poison” and closing his show with the crowd sing-a-long “School’s Out.”

“I met Alice on ‘Wallace and Ladmo’ when I was 5,” said Erin O’Malley, of Phoenix, who was seeing Cooper and The Stones for the first time. “He was really nice – just a totally cool guy.”

www.eastvalleytribune.com
9th November 2006 11:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

We expected a large walk up, but it didn't happen...seems 35-40k is most we can hope for in a stadium...not too bad, but not like 60-80 as in the past.

theres a limit to how many people are going to be stupid enough to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a TV screen 50-100 yards away - and how often theyre going to do it
[Edited by Gazza]
9th November 2006 11:42 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

theres a limit to how many people are going to be stupid enough to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a TV screen 50-100 yards away - and how often theyre going to do it
[Edited by Gazza]

How are the Springsteen cd's coming along?
9th November 2006 11:57 AM
Saint Sway I'm so grateful they didnt sport those queer glitter jackets at the Scorcese/Beacon filming
9th November 2006 12:05 PM
The Wick That first newspaper review was pretty much dead on. Did anyone notice the reference to : Steve Jordan! in the second one. Real well informed writer there.
9th November 2006 12:16 PM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:
That first newspaper review was pretty much dead on. Did anyone notice the reference to : Steve Jordan! in the second one. Real well informed writer there.

How did they cover the empties or was this stadium a bit smaller?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)