ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pacific Bell Park, San Francisco, Friday November 8, 2002
George Nikitin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Callous?...Who really cares? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-03-02 07:49 AM
beer Geez! talk about alot of words. I didn't read most of em. Just concentrate on what Brian gave to The Stones IN HIS LIFE. The Beautiful slide guitar in "No Expectations","Just Can't be Satisfied", Sitar on "paint it black", "Street Fighting Man", the Marimbas on "Under My Thumb", "Out of Time", The Dulcimer on "I am Waiting", "Lady Jane". Mellotron on "2000 light years"
Not to mention the Great guitar lines on "Get off my cloud", and "The Last Time". Plus much, much more. That's how Brian should be remembered. In My Opinion......
11-03-02 07:58 AM
Nellcote SS, thank you for the word correction.

I was thinking of what was coming out of my mouth, probably due to my age.

11-03-02 08:11 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
beer wrote:
Geez! talk about alot of words. I didn't read most of em. Just concentrate on what Brian gave to The Stones IN HIS LIFE. The Beautiful slide guitar in "No Expectations","Just Can't be Satisfied", Sitar on "paint it black", "Street Fighting Man", the Marimbas on "Under My Thumb", "Out of Time", The Dulcimer on "I am Waiting", "Lady Jane". Mellotron on "2000 light years"
Not to mention the Great guitar lines on "Get off my cloud", and "The Last Time". Plus much, much more. That's how Brian should be remembered. In My Opinion......

Relative point Beer! No-one denies his attributes, I've said so since this thread began, but I'd take you down another road; consider what a fuck up he became; constantly busted on narcotics infractions, couldn't get it together to rehearse, or play, in fact The Stones couldn't tour because of Brian's self destructive lifestyle. Consider just how many great songs, and great, but unexpected instrumental voyages we missed out on, because Brian couldn't get a grip on reality. Just my opinion!
11-03-02 08:22 AM
beer
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Relative point Beer! No-one denies his attributes, I've said so since this thread began, but I'd take you down another road; consider what a fuck up he became; constantly busted on narcotics infractions, couldn't get it together to rehearse, or play, in fact The Stones couldn't tour because of Brian's self destructive lifestyle. Consider just how many great songs, and great, but unexpected instrumental voyages we missed out on, because Brian couldn't get a grip on reality. Just my opinion!

Absolutely TRUE Gypsymofo60. for sure. I was just tryin to concentrate on the positive things Brian did. This is what makes Rocks Off the best site though, opinions and people. Cheers bro.
11-03-02 08:47 AM
gypsymofo60 Personaly, I think Brian would've been the first to admit that he dropped the ball. And an indication of what a grip the drugs had on him was when he couldn't find the strength to resurrect his position in the band, he'd lost his war long before Mick & Keith sacked him. Lennon once told him to stop being such a cry baby! And take back control of the group. I've always felt it was a sad situation from start to finish with Brian, not just his death, but nearly every aspect of his life was jinxed! I just never went along with "the group were responsible for his welfare". The irony here is that Brian was very aware of the pitfalls of fortune & fame, very aware of the whole phoney landscape long before the less worldly Jagger, and Richards, and yet it was Brian that got gobbled up. If there is ANYTHING after, we slip this mortal coil, then I'm sure Brian would agree that we shouldn't waste our lives in the ridiculous pursuit of trying to cannonise someone who ultimately brought about their own sad, slow, and pitiful demise. But we can still acknowlege what a truly gifted, versatile musician he was.
11-03-02 03:19 PM
sasca This is bullshit. You're arguing for the sake of arguing. You're not even trying to understand me.
- the 150 messages. I was replying to your complaint 'how many more times must...'. Your reply to my reply makes
no sense.
- 'voices of reason'. Are you trying to misunderstand me?
- 'attacks'. Oh, you pompous prat. I did not say physical attacks. As I said, I expect replies. But when they're idiotic, expect me to treat them as such.
- smug, smug, smug.

And gm60 - you're not helping your argument by your ludicrous diagnoses. Read a book on psychology. You have no idea what you're talking about. Much as with the Stones.
11-03-02 03:21 PM
sasca Oh, and who said anything about canonising Brian?
11-03-02 04:35 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
sasca wrote:
"The band would not have existed without him" - Bill Wyman.

AMEN!
11-03-02 04:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot >You're not even trying to understand me.<

I understand you completely. I just don't agree with you. You are a freak, with a bizarre notion and a crazy obsession. You and Brenda should get married...you are a perfect match.

>I was replying to your complaint 'how many more times must...'. Your reply to my reply makes
no sense.<

Whaaaaa? I'm supposed to read your mind? Sorry, I can only read your words. This is why I reprint passages from your posts...so you know what I'm responding to. But then again, I'm just being reasonable, sorry for that. I'll have to remember that when replying to you to not make any sense...that way you'll be sure to understand.

>'voices of reason'. Are you trying to misunderstand me? <

No. Your statement was pretty clear. Anyone who is a voice of reason should not be trusted because they are not being reasonable. That is the way your sentence reads. If that isn't what you meant then you'll have to do a better job of expressing yourself.

>- 'attacks'. Oh, you pompous prat. I did not say physical attacks. <

Well if you are not talking about a physical attack, then what is the attack with? Words? And just exactly why would words on an internet message board harm anyone? It is impossible to "harrass" anyone on an internet message board. Now, if people start flooding your email, or hacking Brenda's Brian Jones site, or calling you at home....that would be different. But as this is a public place, and as no one forces you to come here, it is impossible for you to be harrassed. You keep placing yourself in that position...not any of us. You are the one who comes here and posts nonsense. You reap what you sow.

The other thing is that if you stated an opinion that wasn't obviously nuts, no one would be slamming you. Again, you reap what you sow.

I suggested some time ago to drop the subject. I'm only continuing to debate this because YOU and Brenda keep tossing more nonsense out there for everyone to see. It looks to me like it's you two who won't let this thing go. If you want to turn this into a "last word" contest, I guarantee you'll lose.

Take my advice. Cut your losses, and let this thing die. Everyone knows where you and Brenda stand. You can't make yourself look any more insane. There is nothing left to be accomplished. Let it go.
11-03-02 05:36 PM
sasca - What I object to is your self-satisfaction. You are too pleased with your own opinion. You are convinced by your own reasonableness and therefore are not reasonable. To be so you would have to consider others opinions and you have not been doing that.

- yes, attacks with words. here's a definition of 'harass' from the Collins Paperback English Dictionary - 'to trouble, torment, or confuse by continual, persistent attacks, questions, etc.' Of course no-one forced us to be here. That doesn't mean we have to accept abuse and like it. Don't you get a little embaressed when you look back on your definitions? You've been a big fish in a little pond too long, Sir Sal.
[Edited by sasca]
[Edited by sasca]
11-03-02 05:48 PM
gypsy *blank stare*

God, that felt great! Haven't done the ol' blank stare in a while.
11-03-02 06:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot >- What I object to is your self-satisfaction. You are too pleased with your own opinion.<

Well what the hell am I supposed to be? Displeased with my own opinion? If I wasn't pleased with my opinion, I would have a different opinion, one that I was pleased with...right? Are you retarded?

>you would have to consider others opinions and you have not been doing that.<

Of course I have been considering your opinion....I consider it to be ridiculous. Look dude, your opinion is ridiculous, and I have given many well thought out reasons why I think so in previous posts. I HAVE CONSIDERED YOUR OPINION. After consideration, and with reasoning that I have stated numerous times in other posts, I disagree in the strongest terms with your petition. Now, why is this being unreasonable?

Using your logic, YOU are being unreasonable for not considering MY opinion.

Did you get dropped on your head as a baby? Are your parents cousins or something?

>yes, attacks with words.<

Oh boo hoo. Does widdle baby not like those mean words. Do they hurt your feelings? Bad, bad old words.

Puh-LEEZ.

>That doesn't mean we have to accept abuse and like it.<

Sure it does. What else are you gonna do? Beat me up and make me stop? Yeah right.

You can make it stop anytime you want. All you have to do is drop the subject. Just drop it, and it will stop. It's easy. Just don't continue.

>Don't you get a little embaressed when you look back on your definitions?<

No. Why would I be "embaressed" for making sense? On the other hand, if I spelled as poorly as you, I would certainly be embarrassed.

>You've been a big fish in a little pond too long, Sir Sal.<

Now you just sound jealous.

You are out of your league dude. In over your head. I suggest that you stop now before you wreck any credibility that you have left.

Who is Sir Sal guy? If you think he's me, then he must be really cool.

I do agree that I'm a big fish in a little pond....but I'm not the only big fish. And the pond is plenty big for all of us to swim in. I can't help that you are a little minnow.

Gypsy....no one gives *blank stare* like you, babe. Keep up the fine work.
11-03-02 07:27 PM
sasca - I didn�t ask you to stop being pleased with your opinion. I said you were TOO pleased. There�s a difference.
- when I mentioned not trying to understand me, I was referring to your previous post. I was not referring to whatever arguments you might have against the petition. Though let me ask again - how is it both useless and a danger to Brian�s family?
- �bad words...etc.� I was simply pointing out that you had completely misunderstood the meaning of harass.
- well, no we don�t have to accept abuse and like it. Why should we like it? You�re not making much sense.
- I apologise for one spelling error. Of course, yours has not been flawless. (Harass has one �r�, not two.)
- 'if you think he�s me, he must be really cool.' And now I'm getting an image of a six year old. Jesus. Even the neighbours' dogs are laughing.

I have no wish to get the last word for its own sake. But I object to my words being distorted.
[Edited by sasca]
11-03-02 08:12 PM
Fiji Joe Yes, very nice blank stare Gypsy...like a cow in a passing train
11-03-02 09:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I said you were TOO pleased. There�s a difference.<

Poppycock. You are either pleased or not pleased. There is no gray area.

>- when I mentioned not trying to understand me, I was referring to your previous post. I was not referring to whatever arguments you might have against the petition.<

OK whatever man. Just as long as YOU know what you're talking about, I guess it doesn't matter if the rest of us have no idea what you mean.

>how is it both useless and a danger to Brian�s family?<

If you haven't figured that one out by now, no amount of explaining on anyone's part is gonna get it through your thick skull.

>you had completely misunderstood the meaning of harass.<

No, YOU misunderstand the meaning of harass or harrass(according to the 1973 office edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, "harrass" is an accepted spelling, I just looked it up). I work for four different police departments, I know EXACTLY what constitutes harrassment. This IS NOT harrassment. No one here has done anything that would get a citation. If it isn't cited, it isn't harrassment.

>well, no we don�t have to accept abuse and like it. Why should we like it? <

One, because it isn't abuse. I haven't even come close to flaming you yet, other than questioning your sanity. Even that is a fair question given the circumstances. You and Brenda seem to have this idea that if people don't agree with you that it is harrassment or abuse. That is simply not the case. Some of us may use colorful language, but there is no law against that.

>You�re not making much sense.<

Hello pot? This is kettle. You are black.

>Even the neighbours' dogs are laughing.<

Glad to see your neighbors dogs can recognize a joke when they see one. Too bad you can't.

>I have no wish to get the last word for its own sake.<

Sure you do. But trust me, it isn't going to happen. I can be way more childish and immature than you can. I have to give you credit, you are doing a remarkable job to this point though.

>I object to my words being distorted.<

I have distorted nothing....in fact, I have copy and pasted your words into my posts so that everyone can see exactly what your words were. I'm being very fair to you. Like I said before, it's not my fault if you don't do a very good job of getting your meaning across.

You can stop any time now. There's no shame in it. But if you want to keep playing, I'll be here.

Please give the neighbors dogs a treat for me....they seem like such nice doggies.

11-03-02 09:54 PM
Riffhard This thread is really starting to shape up nicely. I beleive it has the makings of a real barn burner. On one hand we have sasca,who for the life of me I cannot understand,and on the other the galant Sir Stonesalot,or is that Sir Sal?

I beleive it's time to cut your losses sasca. Although,I hope you don't it's always a treat to watch SS jost.

Riffhard
11-03-02 10:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Heh heh heh.....
11-03-02 11:30 PM
parmeda Riff...

I've made the popcorn...please, pull up a chair.
11-04-02 01:41 AM
Child of the Moon Y'know, despite it being said several times now, I must add my two cents:

LET'S JUST DROP IT.

Brian's dead. He made great music. He fucked up. He's dead. No Stones without him, at least, not in the same way. Petitions are rather useless. HE'S DEAD.

Whew. That felt good. Gimme some of that popcorn!

"Brian's dead, Ronnie!"

"For the 100th time, I know."
11-04-02 10:10 AM
dkmonroe The number of abolutely certain things in the universe can be expanded to four:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. There would have been no Stones without Brian.
4. We're never, ever, ever going to known absolutely what happend to Brian and why.
11-04-02 01:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot "Dead" on DK, "dead" on.
11-04-02 01:52 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:

4. We're never, ever, ever going to known absolutely what happend to Brian and why.

While #2 and #3 are debatable - #4 is not certain. You see - someone could invent a time machine and they could go back to that time and space and observe the events surrounding Brian's watery demise. But who would pay for it? I mean - if someone invented a time machine I would think finding out if Brian Jones was offed would be pretty low on the list of things to do. That is of course unless Brenda or Sasca invented it. If Brenda started working on inventing a time machine she would have no time to post here and that would be a great loss since she is so damn amusing. Plus - she ain't the brightest bulb around if you know what I mean. Don't think she could pull it off. Sasca is clearly smarter and a tad bit more sane - but then again just about anyone is. The other option is for it to be like the space thingy. If the Russians make the time machine they can sell rides on it. Brenda just needs to win the lotto. But - if someone does go back and witness that time and space searching for evil doers, it may not be the actual event viewed - just an illusion of it - or it could be a version of it. Plus - what if you were in the time machine and witnessed nothing but Brian slowly drifting down to the bottom of the pool while no one was around...does that mean it was still not murder? Perhaps he had multiple personalities and one of them killed another one. A murder suicide pact. You would have to make a time machine that could go inside Brian's brain.

Now for Sasca - I kinda like you but you are wearing two pretty big red flags around like they are the newest fashion trend. Flags so big the could cover up Mount Olympus. Is this the latest look from Milan? I thought the Doris Day look was back? I am so confused...
11-04-02 02:00 PM
dkmonroe Yeah, y'know, I never did actually consider the "time machine" strategy for finding out the terrible truth.

Maybe instead of organizing a petition, those so inclined should be raising money for a time machine. Sounds like a good idea for an episode of "John Doe."
11-04-02 02:06 PM
Fiji Joe OK OK...I'm starting a collection...send your time machine contributions to me...I've got a B.A. in History and a J.D. so, I know all about physics...
11-04-02 02:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot John Doe. Man that guy can fucking sing his ass off.

I've been listening to a lot of X lately. What a great band.

I recently got the X Anthology, wooooodoggies! That stuff will pin yer ears back.

If I had a time machine, I would use it to go see bands that I never got a chance to see. The Beatles, The Clash, X, XTC, The Pogues, Husker Du, Nirvana, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson...a different show every night!

You know, I'm starting to think maybe Miss U & sasca are on to something...reality sucks, fantasy is far more fun.
11-04-02 02:15 PM
jb Yeah, it's really cool!!!
11-04-02 02:25 PM
sasca - Since you are an expert on language, I assume you are aware of the words 'much too pleased with himself'. That is what I meant and you know it.
- 'family and friends' - again unpleasantness, not explanation.
- 'the deer harassed by hounds' etc. 'Harassment' is not only a crime. Outside the US, we do consider the world apart from citations.
- 'you're not making much sense' was concerned with that point alone.
- I recognize a joke and I recognized a very poor one.
- of course, this board is filled with your cronies but to any outside observer your distortions would be obvious. Please don't quote me on my account. I know what I wrote.
- if you say 'harrass' is an acceptable version of the word, I'll accept it and apologise. I've never seen it but then I've never seen the Eiffel Tower either.
- of course it's abusive. 'Scorn and ridicule' as you described the replies is abusive considering what I had done. Which was, let me repeat, post a polite message.
- what has been childish about my posts? Someone has been saying 'nanananana' but it's not me.

p.s. Fiji - what are you doing using 'gay' as an insult?
11-04-02 02:26 PM
dkmonroe No, no, no, you silly kinnnigit. I didn't mean John Doe, the singer from X, I meant "John Doe", the stunning new Fox series about the guy who knows the molecular structure of ketchup but doesn't know whether he likes it on his hot dogs or not.

The plot would go like this: John Doe picks up a copy of Between the Buttons, he only sees Brian in color. This makes him certain that Brian is either his dad, or his not-exactly-identical twin brother, or the evil mastermind behind the strangely shaped hive on his chest. Using his complete and utter knowledge of physics, he builds a time machine and travels back to Cotchford Farm, where he starts beating the crap out of Frank Thorogood, because Frank smirked at Brian behind his back in a hostile way. During the struggle, an inebriated Brian slips into the pool and drowns anyway. John Doe comes back to the 21st century with even less answers than he had before. In the last scene, he's staring at a hot dog and a bottle of ketchup, trying to figure out whether he wants to combine the two or not.
11-04-02 02:29 PM
jb He is simply a very angry person and not very nice.
11-04-02 02:30 PM
sasca One more thing - some people seem to think I am convinced Brian was murdered. I am not. Look back at my posts.
Page: 1 2 3