ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Zilker Park, Austin, TX, 22nd, October 2006-Setlist, Pix and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
23rd October 2006 06:49 AM
corgi37 So they are doing a dvd of THIS show? So far, gonna be about 880 dvd's from this tour.

But, apart from Rio and the g-strings & bouncy girls bums, Austin could be ok. I'd imagine pink singlets and ultra tight "Daisy Dukes" would be the female uniform.

So, yeah, i vote Austin as the dvd.

Beats the Beacon thing, with stiff, crusty rich folk.

Tell me. Will Hillary Clinton wear a pink singlet & ultra tight "Daisy Dukes"?

P.S. Would you believe a g-string?
23rd October 2006 07:08 AM
Bitch Setlist posted on RS.com includes Satisfaction, and according to first hand account on another board, Satisfaction was played at 19, and there were 21 songs total. Can someone who was there confirm this?

You Got Me Rocking
Let's Spend The Night Together
She's So Cold
Oh No Not You Again
Sway
Bob Wills Is Still The King
Streets Of Love
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Bitch
Tumblin' Dice
Learning The Game
Little T&A
Under My Thumb
Get Off My Cloud
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Woman
Sympathy
JJ Flash
Satisfaction
Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
23rd October 2006 07:54 AM
mrhipfl I hope they go back to 20-21 songs per night.
23rd October 2006 08:11 AM
lotsajizz nice setlist...
23rd October 2006 08:13 AM
Gazza 21-song setlist (including 'Satisfaction')is confirmed on IORR (although they list the title of the Waylon cover as "Bob Willis Is Still The King" which should cause some mirth to anyone who followed cricket in the 70's and 80's...

thanks to WattsatScotts for picking up the slack and taking care of things

Cant see 21 songs being the norm. Its not unprecedented for them to add a couple of extra songs into the set for a show thats being filmed (see Paris Olympia 2003)

bloody hell. They go from the worst setlist on the tour in El Paso to the weirdest and most head scratching one in Austin....very intriguing so say the least

What the hell are they going to do next? 'San Francisco (Flowers in Your Hair)' for Oakland? 'LA Woman' for Dodger Stadium? 'Blue Hawaii' for Honolulu? A Bryan Adams song for Vancouver?

[Edited by Gazza]
23rd October 2006 08:29 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Gazza wrote:
'LA Woman' for Dodger Stadium?

I nominated it yesterday, but I'm really holding out for their cover of the Stooges' "L.A. Blues"!!!!

23rd October 2006 09:58 AM
shaleia Ok, here's what I remember from last night:

1. You Got Me Rockin’: I am one of those that has said they play this song too much – but they aren’t playing it much on this tour and it works well live. Keith likes to play it and it was very good tonight – very spirited, and a very good opener.
2. Let’s Spend the Night Together: This song sounded fuller and punchier, and it was more driving than on any of the boots I’ve heard from this tour. An excellent version.
3. She’s So Cold- A good, gritty, propulsive version. There was a rough spot: not everyone went to the bridge at the same time, but it was just a blip and most people didn’t notice. The band recovered and seemed to work even harder for the duration.
4. Oh No, Not You Again: On the record, I prefer Rough Justice, but this song seems to work better live and it was good tonight—nice and tight. Keith played it safe on the solo, but it was intense enough to move the song.
5. Sway: I was, of course, hoping to hear Sway and I did. It was a good version, generally. This song has gotten much more dynamic since they started playing it. Woody was good, but there was another rough spot. I’m not sure, but it seemed to me he ended the first solo early and not everyone was together on going to the change. But, they worked through it and the song was strong to the end, with a nice second solo.
6. Bob Wills Is Still the King: I’d say this was an actual cover of the song and not a snippet. There were several verses and Woody had a steel solo. Darryl played an exaggeratedly simple and forceful country bass part, possibly because no one knew the song that well. Mick, Darryl and Charlie carried this one as Ronnie and Keith played mainly fills.
7. Streets of Love: Ok, I’ll out myself: I like this song on the record and I liked it tonight. Maybe Mick was not quite as engaged during the vamp at the end as I heard he was in other shows. It was still pretty sweet.
8. Ain’t Too Proud to Beg: I can always hear this song, but this version smoked. I think it was the best version I’ve heard. One of the three highlights of the night for me.
9. Bitch: The set list I saw prior to the show had Rambler in this spot, which I would have preferred (having seen Bitch in Houston last December), but this was a good version. The sound got muddy for a short while during the song but the band was intense and enjoying it.
10. Tumbling Dice: a typical modern-era version of this song, which is not to say it was flat – it was pretty inspired and tight.
11. Learning the Game: Second highlight of the night for me. When I saw the set list and noted the absence of You Got the Silver, I was disappointed. But, they killed this song. It was simple, short and driving with lots of personality from Keith.
12. Little T & A: Keith seemed so focused on the teleprompter that sometimes the lyrics didn’t totally flow, but the singing was spirited and good for the most part and the band was tight. This was better than the versions I’ve heard on some boots. The song really moved along.
13. Under My Thumb: The third highlight of the evening for me. Not only was I glad they played it instead of Miss You, this was a great version with a great groove. The best version I’ve heard since ’81.
14. Get Off of My Cloud: I couldn’t see the b-stage too well, as it was behind me, but the band and the crowd had a good time with this one. It was well played and energetic, just like it should be.
15. Start Me Up: A serviceable version…got tighter as it went along for a fine finish.
16. Honky Tonk Women: This wasn’t as tight as I’ve seen it in other shows but was spirited and well-received. Mick might have had some mic problems at the end of the song.
17. Sympathy: I’ve advocated moving this one from an “every-nighter” to a rotation, but it was good tonight. Ronnie played some lead – not enough but some. I’ve always thought this song works best with two prominent guitars rather than Keith taking everything. Mick was fantastic.
18. Jumpin’ Jack Flash: They really generated some momentum during this song. The band was working together to create that special power that this song has sometimes. Since it wasn’t the closer, they didn’t drag it out too long.
19. Satisfaction: A good version, people loved it. It was a bit long.
20. You Can’t Always Get What You Want: This was very nice – it didn’t seem stale as it sometimes does and Austin sang pretty well. I liked Woody’s bit.
21. Brown Sugar: Great song. Nice version but, as with Jumpin’ Jack Flash, I prefer this song at around 4 minutes. The “victory lap” at the end is nice, though, while you’re there.

Overall, a splendid effort – no apparent coasting tonight. The weather was near perfect. Both Mac and Los Lonely Boys were very good. I actually could’ve heard a couple more from Los Lonely Boys. The only serious complaint I have is the General Admission situation. I’m too old to get there early, stake out a spot and defend it. For some reason, though, it worked out and I did maintain a good spot. I was just off center on Keith’s side and about half way between the stage and the B-Stage. The sound was generally good tonight. It got muddy a few times for short periods, but was clear and the instruments were distinct most of the time. I’m sure glad I made it.
23rd October 2006 10:10 AM
shaleia For those who may be wondering, Keith seemed ok last night. I thought he was pretty focused and engaged. He did stop playing a couple of times, but he was posing, not confused.
23rd October 2006 10:29 AM
Gazza Nice reviews. Many thanks
23rd October 2006 11:02 AM
shaleia Gazza, thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy reading about the other shows, so...
23rd October 2006 11:07 AM
GotToRollMe Thanks WattsAtScotts for the setlist, and Jeep for those incredible photos. Here's another review from MySanAntonio.com:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA102306.pm.stones.6566a437.html

Stones make history in Austin
Web Posted: 10/22/2006 10:24 PM CDT
Hector Saldana
Express-News Staff

AUSTIN – It was as historic a music night as has ever happened here.

The Rolling Stones played their first-ever concert in Austin at a crowded outdoor show at Zilker Park on Sunday. More than 42,000 people in attendance turned the venue into a small city.

“This is definitely the most historic event in Austin music history,” said Jeff Carroll, KLBJ-FM operations manager. “They still have the ability and the charisma to draw people. It's fantastic, so many hits. I have no idea how they decide what they're going to play.”

The spectacle was, indeed, hard to believe. “A Bigger Bang” was promised – and delivered. The Stones tour is the highest grossing U.S. tour this year so far. It was the same story in 2005.

“It's like surreal, the Stones at Zilker Park,” said Greg Long, attending with his pregnant wife, Dacey. “Is the pope gonna show up, too?”

The moment didn't go lost on Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and company: “It's the first time for us in your fair city,” Jagger said. “We're probably the only virgins of Austin.”

This was another day at the office for the Stones, an over-the-top spectacular with a 9-story stage backdrop that looked like a modern, high-rise parking garage, but instead housed $500-a-ticket skyboxes for the privileged few to sit onstage, behind and above the stage.

A 2,450 square-foot video screen behind the band and additional screens guaranteed at least a peek at these rock legends – thousands stood further than football field-length from the stage.

Two giant cranes equipped with video cameras swooped over the crowd like vultures on the kill. A third, suspended camera captured the onstage energy with NFL precision. Footage will be used in an upcoming DVD.

The park filled early. Some, like Kathy Gersch, 45, of Giddings found refuge on a grassy grade far from the stage. She made camp with her daughter Summer Mansfield , 21, on a pink quilt.

“I don't want to be down in the melee,” Gersch said. It was her first Stones concert. “Between their age and my age, one of us may not survive.”

It's doubtful that it will be the Stones that give out first. They even managed some firsts in its 19-song set. A surprise rendition of Waylon Jennings' “Bob Wills Is Still the King,” was a twangy delight with Wood on pedal steel guitar. Later, Richards singing Buddy Holly's “Learning the Game,” taught this crowd not to ever call the Stones predictable.

Cool highlights: The piano rumble of “Let's Spend the Night Together,” the amphetamine Motown tug of “Bitch” and the off-kilter guitar landslide of “Sway.”

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
23rd October 2006 11:20 AM
jb So amazing, yet 8k empties!!!!!
23rd October 2006 11:27 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
shaleia wrote:
Ok, here's what I remember from last night:

1. You Got Me Rockin’: I am one of those that has said they play this song too much – but they aren’t playing it much on this tour and it works well live. Keith likes to play it and it was very good tonight – very spirited, and a very good opener.
2. Let’s Spend the Night Together: This song sounded fuller and punchier, and it was more driving than on any of the boots I’ve heard from this tour. An excellent version.
3. She’s So Cold- A good, gritty, propulsive version. There was a rough spot: not everyone went to the bridge at the same time, but it was just a blip and most people didn’t notice. The band recovered and seemed to work even harder for the duration.
4. Oh No, Not You Again: On the record, I prefer Rough Justice, but this song seems to work better live and it was good tonight—nice and tight. Keith played it safe on the solo, but it was intense enough to move the song.
5. Sway: I was, of course, hoping to hear Sway and I did. It was a good version, generally. This song has gotten much more dynamic since they started playing it. Woody was good, but there was another rough spot. I’m not sure, but it seemed to me he ended the first solo early and not everyone was together on going to the change. But, they worked through it and the song was strong to the end, with a nice second solo.
6. Bob Wills Is Still the King: I’d say this was an actual cover of the song and not a snippet. There were several verses and Woody had a steel solo. Darryl played an exaggeratedly simple and forceful country bass part, possibly because no one knew the song that well. Mick, Darryl and Charlie carried this one as Ronnie and Keith played mainly fills.
7. Streets of Love: Ok, I’ll out myself: I like this song on the record and I liked it tonight. Maybe Mick was not quite as engaged during the vamp at the end as I heard he was in other shows. It was still pretty sweet.
8. Ain’t Too Proud to Beg: I can always hear this song, but this version smoked. I think it was the best version I’ve heard. One of the three highlights of the night for me.
9. Bitch: The set list I saw prior to the show had Rambler in this spot, which I would have preferred (having seen Bitch in Houston last December), but this was a good version. The sound got muddy for a short while during the song but the band was intense and enjoying it.
10. Tumbling Dice: a typical modern-era version of this song, which is not to say it was flat – it was pretty inspired and tight.
11. Learning the Game: Second highlight of the night for me. When I saw the set list and noted the absence of You Got the Silver, I was disappointed. But, they killed this song. It was simple, short and driving with lots of personality from Keith.
12. Little T & A: Keith seemed so focused on the teleprompter that sometimes the lyrics didn’t totally flow, but the singing was spirited and good for the most part and the band was tight. This was better than the versions I’ve heard on some boots. The song really moved along.
13. Under My Thumb: The third highlight of the evening for me. Not only was I glad they played it instead of Miss You, this was a great version with a great groove. The best version I’ve heard since ’81.
14. Get Off of My Cloud: I couldn’t see the b-stage too well, as it was behind me, but the band and the crowd had a good time with this one. It was well played and energetic, just like it should be.
15. Start Me Up: A serviceable version…got tighter as it went along for a fine finish.
16. Honky Tonk Women: This wasn’t as tight as I’ve seen it in other shows but was spirited and well-received. Mick might have had some mic problems at the end of the song.
17. Sympathy: I’ve advocated moving this one from an “every-nighter” to a rotation, but it was good tonight. Ronnie played some lead – not enough but some. I’ve always thought this song works best with two prominent guitars rather than Keith taking everything. Mick was fantastic.
18. Jumpin’ Jack Flash: They really generated some momentum during this song. The band was working together to create that special power that this song has sometimes. Since it wasn’t the closer, they didn’t drag it out too long.
19. Satisfaction: A good version, people loved it. It was a bit long.
20. You Can’t Always Get What You Want: This was very nice – it didn’t seem stale as it sometimes does and Austin sang pretty well. I liked Woody’s bit.
21. Brown Sugar: Great song. Nice version but, as with Jumpin’ Jack Flash, I prefer this song at around 4 minutes. The “victory lap” at the end is nice, though, while you’re there.

Overall, a splendid effort – no apparent coasting tonight. The weather was near perfect. Both Mac and Los Lonely Boys were very good. I actually could’ve heard a couple more from Los Lonely Boys. The only serious complaint I have is the General Admission situation. I’m too old to get there early, stake out a spot and defend it. For some reason, though, it worked out and I did maintain a good spot. I was just off center on Keith’s side and about half way between the stage and the B-Stage. The sound was generally good tonight. It got muddy a few times for short periods, but was clear and the instruments were distinct most of the time. I’m sure glad I made it.

Thanks for the review, shaleia! Going by this, plus the photos that have been posted, Keith is looking much better. "Learning The Game"...wow! You guys got a hell of a setlist! Can't wait to hear the boot of this one!

23rd October 2006 11:34 AM
Jeep Another TV news report (KVUE) :

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/102206cckrTopStones.655740d4.html
23rd October 2006 11:36 AM
jb Between El Paso and Austin only 82k.....they use to get close to that at the Cotton Bowl alone!!!!
23rd October 2006 11:58 AM
charlotte well jb, don't know where you would have put them but I can tell you 41,990 were behind me...great 3 day weekend in one of my favorite places in the States, been to Austin many times, the ACLMF is a must, the city is a must for those who have never been there, sorry NY, but this is where it's happening...actually started last weeks music tour with Clapton Tuesday,

Of course the Warehouse District, The Iron Cactus, The Backyard, The Blind Pig...a few others

knew from the very moment of the fall tour announcement that Austin would be the place...

Both Mac and Los Lonely Boys were very good. Mac played a very tight organ dominated set, very different than I have seen him and his band in the club in Austin...

1. You Got Me Rockin’: never heard as a opener, it worked, both Keith and Ronnie exploded out of the canon,crowd loved it
2. Let’s Spend the Night Together:a powerful rendition
3. She’s So Cold-excellent,very bold edition
4. Oh No, Not You Again:always a pleasure, a kick ass version,Mick all over the stage
5. Sway:very fast tempo, maybe alittle rusty, a pleasure,
Ronnie has really taken off from my last stop(Atlanta)
6. Bob Wills Is Still the King: full version,good job Mick
7. Streets of Love:my first, now I know what some of you have been talking about...very good live
8. Ain’t Too Proud to Beg:smoking, sound was suburb
9. Bitch:typical fashion
10. Tumbling Dice:actually a damn good version
11. Learning the Game:WTF?? must be in Austin
12. Little T & A: the best version I have heard so far
13. Under My Thumb:worked like a charm on the moving stage
14. Get Off of My Cloud:sounded pretty damn good from up front
15. Start Me Up: typical
16. Honky Tonk Women:not the best version I have heard by any means, but I doubt many noticed
17. Sympathy For The Devil:Ronnie really belted out his solos, Keith played as well as I have seen him in a while
no signs of a let down
18. Jumpin’ Jack Flash:in your face
19. Satisfaction:basically the same as I had seen and heard elsewhere but no doubt energy was there
20. You Can’t Always Get What You Want:very good, crowd was into it
21. Brown Sugar:one of the better versions of the tour

thanks guys for an exciting set-good setlist, fresh playing,Keith-excellent job, decent sound and great crowd, you had me worried there for a while...maybe next summer

edited for spelling

[Edited by charlotte]
23rd October 2006 12:04 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks for the review, Charlotte!! Glad you had a great time in Austin
23rd October 2006 12:05 PM
jb If we get YGMR at AC I may have to vomit.
23rd October 2006 12:06 PM
Saint Sway I predicted Austin would be the best show of the tour and was correct. Seeing them in a GA setting must of been awesome

nice set. The 1st 14 songs seem pretty random and generally sparcely played with SOL being the only every night set staple.

Nice nods to Texas born legends Waylon & Buddy!

happy to see ONNYA back in the set!

23rd October 2006 12:11 PM
charlotte PartyDoll MEG, if people are wondering where am I today, just tell them you saw me working hard in the LBJ Library...
23rd October 2006 12:13 PM
GotToRollMe Charlotte! So glad you got such a good show!
23rd October 2006 12:20 PM
jb set-list was not for me.
23rd October 2006 12:24 PM
GotToRollMe Ya didn't enjoy this one, JB?
AC will more than make up for it, I'm sure.
BTW, check your email.
23rd October 2006 12:28 PM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
set-list was not for me.

no, it wasn't. It was for the folks that were there - lucky for them.
23rd October 2006 12:39 PM
jb
quote:
Poplar wrote:

no, it wasn't. It was for the folks that were there - lucky for them.

42k is O.K.-not a sell out as 8k empties. I cannot embraqce any show that opens with the truly overrated YGMR-it is a real bad tune imo.
23rd October 2006 12:45 PM
charlotte oh yeah, a few tapers in the crowd...but I do know many locals do not go public with their boots from being burned by sellers on ebay

jb, I have never seen you rock any harder when yelling "hey, hey, hey, you got me rockin"...
23rd October 2006 12:46 PM
jb
quote:
charlotte wrote:
oh yeah, a few tapers in the crowd...but I do know many locals do not go public with their boots from being burned by sellers on ebay

jb, I have never seen you rock any harder when yelling "hey, hey, hey, you got me rockin"...

lol!!! iT WAS NOT THE OPENER!!! gLAD YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW!!!
23rd October 2006 12:47 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Yeah ok, here I am again. I'm a bit busy with new girlfriend and all.

Ok, so we are back to 21 songs??!!??
23rd October 2006 12:48 PM
jb
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Yeah ok, here I am again. I'm a bit busy with new girlfriend and all.

Holland had 50k out of 52k...not even 1 sell out my friend!!! The Dutch knew before most of the decline.
23rd October 2006 01:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Yeah ok, here I am again. I'm a bit busy with new girlfriend and all.

Only because it was being filmed I would bet
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)