ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Zilker Park, Austin, TX, 22nd, October 2006-Setlist, Pix and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
24th October 2006 03:40 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Oh I know. I'm just being facetious. I think its great that they did this, especially as I've always been a Buddy Holly fan

speaking of which, i never understood why bryan adams opened for the stones in the first place....
TWICE, my and my friend had to avoid him -
they usually pick very specific opening acts and bryan adams seems so random.
24th October 2006 03:54 PM
Gazza Consider yourself relatively lucky. I got stuck in the middle of a field of 90,000 people in a park in Paris in a fucking heatwave being 'treated' to B*n J**i for over an hour.

A thousand years in hell having red hot pokers inserted under my foreskin by Beelzebub and a hundred of his most malevolent demons would probably have been more palatable.

Fortunately, four angels were sent via Dartford to my rescue a couple of hours later and, despite a horrendous rainstorm trying to throw them off course, I was saved before too much damage was done
[Edited by Gazza]
24th October 2006 03:56 PM
Nellcote Red Hot Pokers.
Gazza, your colorful references are to the 10th power today....
24th October 2006 04:10 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Consider yourself relatively lucky. I got stuck in the middle of a field of 90,000 people in a park in Paris in a fucking heatwave being 'treated' to B*n J**i for over an hour.

A thousand years in hell having red hot pokers inserted under my foreskin by Beelzebub and a hundred of his most malevolent demons would probably have been more palatable.

why is bryan adams so popular in the uk....
i don't get it - or is he?
didn't he enjoy some resurgence over there in the 90s?

24th October 2006 04:12 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Consider yourself relatively lucky. I got stuck in the middle of a field of 90,000 people in a park in Paris in a fucking heatwave being 'treated' to B*n J**i for over an hour.

DAMN
24th October 2006 06:36 PM
kath the flying dachsund
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some of you know that i cancelled going to amsterdam, seattle and a portland show over the last few years because of my doggie being so sick. so we'd take him to the vet (emercgency, of course, so it was TWICE as much $$) and get him well. and then i'd plan anothr show, and he'd somehow know it and get deathly ill again.

he'd been doing sort of ok, just not happy since his friend minnie the moocher died about a month ago (one of our other old dogs), plus he had this horrible ongoing gastrointestinal something that would make him poop blood, and i'd stay home...

austin ws a MUST for me because i was gonna get to see my brothr, whom i hadn't seen since our mom died 11 yers ago or so, and some old friends from jr high and high school...and of course, the stones. so i went.

terry took me to the airport thursay afternoon and came back home that evening, let schnitzel out. he said schnitz seemed to strain some to try to poopie and then just stood still., so terry put him over on the grass where schitz just lay down. terry took him inside, put him in his chair with him and sat with him until schnitz jumped down. he lay down between terry's recliner and the woodburning stove, and just quietly, without whimpering or any sign of pain, just passed away.

i guess he didn't want me blubbering all over him and crying. terry actually tried CPR and screaming "don't do this to me, dammit!!", but it was too late. and it took terry 2 days to tell me about it.

but man, i loved this dog so much, and guess he loved me enough to not want to see me cry. so he waited...and waited...i finally left and he went to schnitzel heaven.

i know that i am not an insider here, and that there is a lot of history, but i also know there are some animal lovers who know hoe much i loved this little guy. plese light a candle for him, give him a big hug for me. i will never stop missing him.
24th October 2006 06:57 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Red Hot Pokers.
Gazza, your colorful references are to the 10th power today....

Yep, I was gonna let the "dirty bomb" comment slide, but the "red hot pokers" blew the lid offa that one.
24th October 2006 07:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
kath wrote:
i know that i am not an insider here,

a) theres no such thing as far as most sensible people are concerned. We all have equal lunatic status.

b) you know that if there was, you would be one. You're greatly appreciated

Very sorry to hear about your dog. What incredible timing he always seemed to have!
24th October 2006 07:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
texile wrote:

why is bryan adams so popular in the uk....
i don't get it - or is he?
didn't he enjoy some resurgence over there in the 90s?

There are two types of people who are Bryan Adams fans

The ones who liked his early rock n roll stuff (a la 'Cuts Like a Knife' etc) and then the middle of the road audience who discovered him in the early 90's after that song from the Robin Hood soundtrack "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" topped the charts here for something like 16 weeks and annoyed the bejeezus out of everyone in the entire country who didnt buy it and who were put off him for life as a result.

I think he lived in England for a few years so he managed to keep his profile quite high and managed to maintain a sizeable fanbase.

He wouldnt be as popular as he once was, however. Its not like he could fill stadiums or anything like that
24th October 2006 07:38 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
kath wrote:
the flying dachsund
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some of you know that i cancelled going to amsterdam, seattle and a portland show over the last few years because of my doggie being so sick. so we'd take him to the vet (emercgency, of course, so it was TWICE as much $$) and get him well. and then i'd plan anothr show, and he'd somehow know it and get deathly ill again.

he'd been doing sort of ok, just not happy since his friend minnie the moocher died about a month ago (one of our other old dogs), plus he had this horrible ongoing gastrointestinal something that would make him poop blood, and i'd stay home...

austin ws a MUST for me because i was gonna get to see my brothr, whom i hadn't seen since our mom died 11 yers ago or so, and some old friends from jr high and high school...and of course, the stones. so i went.

terry took me to the airport thursay afternoon and came back home that evening, let schnitzel out. he said schnitz seemed to strain some to try to poopie and then just stood still., so terry put him over on the grass where schitz just lay down. terry took him inside, put him in his chair with him and sat with him until schnitz jumped down. he lay down between terry's recliner and the woodburning stove, and just quietly, without whimpering or any sign of pain, just passed away.

i guess he didn't want me blubbering all over him and crying. terry actually tried CPR and screaming "don't do this to me, dammit!!", but it was too late. and it took terry 2 days to tell me about it.

but man, i loved this dog so much, and guess he loved me enough to not want to see me cry. so he waited...and waited...i finally left and he went to schnitzel heaven.

i know that i am not an insider here, and that there is a lot of history, but i also know there are some animal lovers who know hoe much i loved this little guy. plese light a candle for him, give him a big hug for me. i will never stop missing him.

Aw, Kath, that's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. I remember when you posted his picture a few months ago - he was such a little cutie-pie. I know how it is to lose a little friend like that. You must be inconsolable. I'm sure his life was full of love though, as you're a very loving person. I'll think of him (and you) tonight when I kiss my little guys goodnight.

24th October 2006 08:57 PM
kath
quote:
a) theres no such thing as far as most sensible people are concerned. We all have equal lunatic status.

b) you know that if there was, you would be one. You're greatly appreciated

Very sorry to hear about your dog. What incredible timing he always seemed to have

thanks gazza. yeah, he just didn't want me to see it happen, i guess. we were always together.

thanks.
24th October 2006 08:58 PM
kath
quote:
Aw, Kath, that's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. I remember when you posted his picture a few months ago - he was such a little cutie-pie. I know how it is to lose a little friend like that. You must be inconsolable. I'm sure his life was full of love though, as you're a very loving person. I'll think of him (and you) tonight when I kiss my little guys goodnight.

thanks. he was VERRRY SPECIAL.

24th October 2006 09:16 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

There are two types of people who are Bryan Adams fans

The ones who liked his early rock n roll stuff (a la 'Cuts Like a Knife' etc) and then the middle of the road audience who discovered him in the early 90's after that song from the Robin Hood soundtrack "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" topped the charts here for something like 16 weeks and annoyed the bejeezus out of everyone in the entire country who didnt buy it and who were put off him for life as a result.

I think he lived in England for a few years so he managed to keep his profile quite high and managed to maintain a sizeable fanbase.

He wouldnt be as popular as he once was, however. Its not like he could fill stadiums or anything like that

i liked cuts like a knife.....
but that was what? 1982?
after that, it was bland, generic rock all the way...
i remember seeing pictures of adams in the mid-90s with a 'new look'.
i still don't understand what he was doing at a stones show....
24th October 2006 11:08 PM
Maxmeister
The weekend was beyond my expectations. Saturday evening was spent at Antones. The bill included Pinetop Perkins, the 93 year old blues piano player who's played with all the greats. It was truly a treat and a privilege.
Sunday, it was over the top anticipation from the moment my feet hit the floor. The feeling was a bit different because of the higher probability this may be my last time. The weather was super clear and cool, the vibe was perfect.
Not having a pre-party seemed a bit strange after all these years but with GA, a necessity. I arrived at one of the 2 entrances to the park about 2:15 and joined well over a thousand fans already waiting and chomping at the bit. Unfortunately instead of opening the gate at 3:00 it was after 4:00 before we were allowed in. Upon entering I could see the stage at the other end of the park in a majestic setting with the Austin skyline as the perfect backdrop. I didn't have a plan for staking out my personal real estate but I moved along just short of a running pace. As I got closer there were people laying blankets down well before the stage area but I kept going and found myself up against a railing, barely right of center, equivalent to about row 12-15. A guy I had been talking to while waiting for the gates to open was already at this spot. We looked at each other and couldn't believe that it was so easy to snag this primo real estate. Not too bad for my first and only GA Stones gig.
I immediately went on a drink and food run but only the drink area was accessible without at least a half hour wait. Worrying about holding our ground was too important so it was 2 drinks and no food. I hadn't eaten since 11:00 and wouldn't until almost midnight as it turned out.
Ian and his Bump Band came on just after 5:00 and were terrific. Los Lonely Boys were just plain awesome.
By the time their set ended it was close to sunset, the wind had subsided and the temp was probably in the low 60s and very slowly dropping. Turning around I could see a mass of humanity as far as the eye could see. The bleachers were mostly full but seemed further away than stadium seats would be.
Well before the boys came on, Mick[from backstage] announced this gig was being taped for part of a DVD release and to be prepared when the cameras are on us.
Finally, a bit after 8:00 they hit the stage with YGMR. While I agree with what so many say about this song being in the setlist, I have to admit it did work as an opener.
There's no need to discuss each song but it truly was an excellent concert and a truly unique evening. I have to give special props to the Jenning's cover.[although I had never heard of it]Mick seemed to do a nice job and I found myself singing the chorus. Mick was superb on SOL, although he didn't convert me. [lol]
Keith doing the Holly song was a nice gesture and the fact we got another cover didn't bother me at all.
IF I had to go with a one song highlight, it would be SFTD. The lead in was much longer and Mick was as good as I've seen. Ronnie and Keith were fine on solo. The fact that this song has been my fave since the day it was released and it may have been the last time I get to savor it live may have something to do with my choice.
The guy I was with was a 50 year old virgin. I'm always nonstop over the top animated and he was just the opposite. He was wide eyed and said several times, "I can't believe what I'm seeing, oh my, and wow!" He was a great partner and seemed to genuinely enjoy the internet mb meet and greet stories I forced on him.[lol]
As I watched the boys take their final bow, I refused to think about the fact it may be my last time. There was only positive vibes. It seemed like memories of all the Stones gigs I've attended flashed through my mind as they slowly walked off stage. The smile on my face surely said it all. I'm one lucky son of a bitch.

Rick

25th October 2006 12:41 AM
Taptrick
Kath - very nice tribute. Might I suggest you consider having a portrait done of him? Perhaps the pic you used here. My parents did that with several of their dogs and it's cool to see the paintings of our family dogs hanging in my dads office. You can often find art students to do them fairly reasonably.

25th October 2006 03:26 AM
FotiniD Hey Kath, very sorry to hear about your dog I know how that feels and I don't think it's any different than losing a person. He's not in pain anymore and I'm sure he had a great life with you.
25th October 2006 08:03 AM
LadyJane Great review Maxmeister!

Seems we are all preparing for that final bow!!!

Wish you were joining us in AC!

LJ.

Kath...so sorry about your loss! Hang tough.

25th October 2006 11:42 AM
*ginda Kath - I am so sorry for the loss of your little Schnitzer.
It sounds like his passing was gentle though, and Terry was with him. No matter how many animals we lose it never gets any easier, does it?

Maxmeister - I could feel the joy through your post! I always think of you when I hear SFTD.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)