ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena Atlanta, GA - October 15th 2005
© Kim Smith with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: And the WORST song(s) in Stones history goes to... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th October 2007 06:25 AM
aladdinstory those four "new" songs they put on 40 Licks were pretty awful. i've never cared for "can you the music" either. that song off SW, "Hearts for Sale" just might be the most generic thing the band's ever done. and then of course there is the aforementioned "Back to Zero." "Indian Girl" however is an overlooked classic, and should not be included on this thread IMHO. "Sing This Song All Together" sucks too (both versions)!
8th October 2007 07:50 AM
Zack I'll vote for Hold Back. Awfulest thing on the awfulest album.
8th October 2007 07:57 AM
egon sweethearts

and also;

brand new car
all the "new" songs on 40 licks
under the radar
we don't wanna go home
infamy
blinded by love

8th October 2007 08:12 AM
Gazza Hold Back - a tedious thrash that overstays its welcome from about two seconds in and which flounders around unsuccessfully for about five minutes in a desperate search for something resembling a tune.

Half of 'Satanic Majesties' - especially all that pretentious "Sing this all together" type bollocks.

Anyway you look At It - for a period of about four years I actually lived with the fear that THIS dirge could well be the last song the Stones ever released. Until they put out "Losing My Touch"......

My Girl - one of three Temptations covers the band has released. The other two werent quite as brilliant as the originals, but were excellent in their own way. This one, however, is absolute pants.

Under The Boardwalk - another candidate for worst cover version. Enough to make you jump INTO the sea.

Has to be said though that in a 45 year career of some 350 songs, the amount I find unlistenable and with no redeeming qualities whatsoever would barely be in double figures.

[Edited by Gazza]
8th October 2007 08:14 AM
PartyDoll MEG "Anyway You Look At It" don't "Hold Back" cause the "Indian Girls" are "Winning Ugly"
8th October 2007 08:46 AM
Ade i have a particular dislike for Rough Justice.

but there again, i dislike most of ABB.
8th October 2007 11:07 AM
Play With Fire
Emotional Rescue tied w/ Streets Of Love

8th October 2007 11:07 AM
ExileInLA This is a great subject:

Sweet Neocon
Might As Well Get Juiced
The Entire Undercover Record
Most of Emotional Rescue

8th October 2007 12:01 PM
Mel Belli This is a tough call. I agree with a lot of the choices here, though I'll champion to the death "Blinded by Love," "Anyway You Look At It," and "Sweethearts Together." And I think Satanic Majesties should occupy as a whole its own little corner of Stones history.

"Back to Zero" and "Sweet Neo Con" I can't argue with; I like Gazza's choice of bad Motown covers.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned, I'll go with an early, really poorly executed original ballad: "Congratulations."

8th October 2007 12:10 PM
Dr Iff Aw no! In another land is one of those 'so bad it's good' songs. I listen for the comedic value. Bill Wyman is hilarious as a vocalist.
8th October 2007 12:16 PM
Jumacfly suck on the jugular
infamy
back to zero
winning ugly
fight
8th October 2007 01:06 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
suck on the jugular
infamy
back to zero
winning ugly
fight

Infamy's golden, and suck on the jugular ain't too bad either.
8th October 2007 02:25 PM
bilsim I don't dislike many songs, but I've never been able to enjoy 2000 light years from home. For what it's worth, I do like Anyway you look at it for a song to sing along to. I'm not the biggest fan of Undercover of the night, although I love She Was Hot and Too Much Blood from the same album. I like the more recent stuff aswell, it does appeal to a younder audience, the under 25's are big into Voodoo Lounge/Bridges/Bang.
8th October 2007 02:27 PM
MrPleasant The one tune I don't like from them is their version of "Like A Rolling Stone". But they were always catchy (or "soulful", when Keith sings his corny ballads).
8th October 2007 02:38 PM
texile
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
This issue has been settled. There are, it appears, two types of Stones fans:

1. Those who know that "Anyway You Look At It" is the worst song the Rolling Stones have ever released; and

2. Those who have not heard "Anyway You Look At It."

yes!
wasn't it a b-side?
that may be why not everyone is aware of it.....
and if you're one of those fortunate enought to NOT have heard it, its as bad as we say.
8th October 2007 02:41 PM
texile
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
"Indian Girl" however is an overlooked classic, and should not be included on this thread IMHO.

agree -
it's a disgrace to even be mentioned on a thread where anyway you look at it is a presence.
8th October 2007 02:46 PM
twicks1 Gazza's right. At least "Hold Back" and "Anyway You Look At It" are recognizable as being performed by the Rolling Stones.

"My Girl" and "Under the Boardwalk" are the worst, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
8th October 2007 03:52 PM
aladdinstory

just how bad is it? well, just take a listen for yourself.

[Edited by aladdinstory]
8th October 2007 04:58 PM
andrews27 Aw, c'mon - don't you just love those ultra-butch, low-register "Hey-hey-heys" on My Girl? Worth the price of admission: they're a tacit (and historic) acknowledgment of how, at that time, the singer wasn't willing to go to falsetto to try and cut the Temps version. It's always important to note exactly where the greats are afraid of their predecessors and suffer the anxieties of influence.

NB, there is, I think, more than one mix of My Girl. From memory, I think the one on Flowers LP and the one on the English comp LP Milestones are different. If not these two, then one of the CD comps has a diff mix from Flowers.

Under the Boardwalk is a small milestone in Stones negrophilia: listen to the pronunciation of "Under the bo-adwalk, bo-adwalk!" As a lad, I used to give the singer props for even dreaming about taking on Rudy Lewis of the Drifters, and I always found Jagger's vocal relaxed and unstrained.

I agree that Winning Ugly is a shit song, originally written for a Jagger solo album. Indian Girl bugged me for years, but I suspect that if somebody put that song on the soundtrack of a film about Central America,we'd all be bawling our eyes out and running home to play the record. It's all in the context: it sounds worse next to Summer Romance and Send it to Me, on an album that was a serious let-down after "Some Girls." Some of Emotional Rescue bummed me out so much that I turned down the opportunity a friend gave me to review it for a newspaper that he worked at - I was too conflicted at the time to say *anything* about it. Jann Wenner reviewed it himself for the Rolling Stone when the original critic trashed it, right?

You know what the problem with Sweet Neocon is? Twenty years ago it would be a Brown Sugar-style thrashing aimed directly at Condi (Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart); today, you need ex-drunk Steve Earle to reach those shores. PC and need for touring cash have dulled our boy's edge.

[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
8th October 2007 05:35 PM
glencar There are only 4 bad Stones songs & 3 are from VL: Sparks Will Fly, YGMR & Suck On My Jugular. The other is that aforementioned Keith stinker from 40 Licks. And yes, I guess I'll add Anyway You Look At It to my list.
8th October 2007 06:33 PM
mrhipfl I still can't see how so many people can dislike YGMR.
8th October 2007 07:33 PM
Bloozehound Anyone who'd rank Sweethearts Together as one of their worst songs ever has got to have slimy, bat guano for brains
8th October 2007 07:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I still can't see how so many people can dislike YGMR.

5-10 people ain't all that many dude.

i fucking love it...its a cranker. especially when he goes eeeoooooow before that guitar break....how can one not dig it? beats me.

carry on
8th October 2007 07:52 PM
Riffhard It seems that all of you have forgotten about Sweet Neocon!! Not that I blame ya, but it must be said. The song sucks. Hard. Real hard.

It has nothing to do with my political leanings either mind you. It is just a pandering piece of shite regardless of the message that it trys(unsuccessfully,btw)to convey.

Riffy
8th October 2007 07:54 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
It seems that all of you have forgotten about Sweet Neocon!! Not that I blame ya, but it must be said. The song sucks. Hard. Real hard.

It has nothing to do with my political leanings either mind you. It is just a pandering piece of shite regardless of the message that it trys(unsuccessfully,btw)to convey.

Riffy

I still like the harmonica intro. you gotta admit, that part is cool... the rest is retarded lyrics and like the rest of ABB, sucky...
8th October 2007 07:57 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

I still like the harmonica intro. you gotta admit, that part is cool... the rest is retarded lyrics and like the rest of ABB, sucky...

The harmonica is the only redeeming quality true, but what follows kills any admiration that I may have for Mick's harp chops. You can plate a turd with 24 karat gold, but it's still a turd.

Riffy
8th October 2007 08:19 PM
Glimmer Twin Winning Ugly
Melody
8th October 2007 08:30 PM
StephenNYC In Another Land?
8th October 2007 08:37 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Anyone who'd rank Sweethearts Together as one of their worst songs ever has got to have slimy, bat guano for brains

Indeed. Sweethearts is great as a sappy singalong or to play at a wedding. It's not typical Stones, but it works as a song.
8th October 2007 08:42 PM
doo doo doo Dude Stealing My Heart
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)