ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena Atlanta, GA - October 15th 2005
© Kim Smith with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: And the WORST song(s) in Stones history goes to... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th October 2007 08:44 PM
sirmoonie My Girl
Hold Back
Back To Zero
Hold On To Your Hat
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
9th October 2007 04:34 AM
Rizollin 'Melody' ruins the otherwise flawless Black and Blue...question, if I were to burn a copy of B&B without Melody, what would be a good outtake from that era to fill the space?
9th October 2007 05:10 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
Rizollin wrote:
'Melody' ruins the otherwise flawless Black and Blue...question, if I were to burn a copy of B&B without Melody, what would be a good outtake from that era to fill the space?

Well there are some decent choices, you could choose early versions of later released songs Worried About You or Slave, the ballad instrumental Act Together (which is fine tune). I've always liked I Love Ladies and I Got A Letter (a Keith sung reggae tune, a cover i believe) too. Never cared much for Melody, though check out Mickboy's remaster of B&B plus outtakes and unreleased live tracks, From Rags To Excess, which is excellent.
9th October 2007 08:46 AM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
2000 Light Years from Home.

You gotta be kidding me that song is damn good..
9th October 2007 08:48 AM
Mr Jurkka I quess steling my heart ain't the best..

9th October 2007 10:00 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I always thought Brand New Car would be a good song for a stripper to dance to.

Believe me it is...............
9th October 2007 10:10 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Rizollin wrote:
'Melody' ruins the otherwise flawless Black and Blue...question, if I were to burn a copy of B&B without Melody, what would be a good outtake from that era to fill the space?

That's a good call..I've always thought the same thing...There are not much for outtakes from that era...but you could replace it with Memo from Turner...even though it's a bit anachronistic...Criss Cross Mind (Save Me) would probably be your best bet from a slightly earlier era...
9th October 2007 12:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
It seems that all of you have forgotten about Sweet Neocon!! Not that I blame ya, but it must be said. The song sucks. Hard. Real hard.

It has nothing to do with my political leanings either mind you. It is just a pandering piece of shite regardless of the message that it trys(unsuccessfully,btw)to convey.

Riffy

The more I read the lyrics to that turd of a song the more convinced I am that Mick lost a bet with Keith and the forfeit was that one of the songs on the new album had to be written by his sons Gabriel and Lucas instead. Its the only reason I can think of as to why the lyrics read like they're the work of an 8 year old let loose with a Profanisaurus.
9th October 2007 07:59 PM
GhostofBrianJones A Profanisaurus? Would that be anything like a Fuckupinasaurus?
9th October 2007 08:09 PM
andrews27
quote:
Rizollin wrote:

You'll find that nothing else will work - nothing you try will have the same production quality or studio sound. Learn to love it - it's easier if you can get into the love of black music that spawned this cocktail jazz/jump blues hybrid (like a cross between Bobby Short and Louis Jordan). And who doesn't love a song in which the singer searches for his bee-yatch "like a mustard for a ham"?
[Edited by andrews27]
9th October 2007 08:43 PM
nanatod I know that I'm alone on an island with respect to this, but, in my opinion, the worst Stones song, the one that to me is nails on a blackboard, is Heartbreaker.
9th October 2007 09:13 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
nanatod wrote:
I know that I'm alone on an island with respect to this, but, in my opinion, the worst Stones song, the one that to me is nails on a blackboard, is Heartbreaker.

Alas! A reason for someone to actually listen to Anyway You Look At It immediately!

interesting...
10th October 2007 07:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
A Profanisaurus? Would that be anything like a Fuckupinasaurus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanisaurus

http://www.viz.co.uk/?%2Fprofanisaurus%2Fprofan_index.php%3Ffb%3D1

random example of an entry :

squirts n.

In arsemology, a series of eruptions resulting in a pyroclastic flow from the farting fissure. A condition also known as the skitters.

[Edited by Gazza]
10th October 2007 02:19 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
andrews27 wrote:

And who doesn't love a song in which the singer searches for his bee-yatch "like a mustard for a ham"?
[Edited by andrews27]

I've never believed that "a mustard for a ham" is what Mick is singing. What I hear is "I went looking for her high and low/Like a rooster for a hen/She's crashed out in the bathroom/In the arms of my best friend." "Hen" is a much closer rhyme to "friend" than "ham" is, and "rooster for a hen" actually makes sense, while "a mustard for a ham" is absurd for at least three reasons: 1) "mustard" is what is referred to as a "mass noun" (as distinguished from a "count noun"), meaning you can have "some mustard" but not "a mustard"; 2) mustard, unlike roosters, does not possess the faculty of volition and is thus not going to be out looking for anything; and 3) looking for someone "like a mustard for a ham" is not an expression known in the English language (Google it and the only reference you will find is the "Melody" lyrics), while "like a rooster for a hen" is an ancient English formulation and no doubt appears in many (most?) other languages, as well.

This is not the only problem with the "official" lyrics. The "Gomper" lyrics are written as "By the lake with lily flowers/Wallow away the evening hours." Clearly, the correct lyric is "Wile away the evening hours." To "wile away the hours" is a common English expression meaning "to pass the time idly." "Wallow away the evening hours" is not only meaningless, but like "mustard for a ham" its only Google hit is the bogus "Gomper" lyric.

There are plenty of other examples. In Wyman's "Downtown Suzie," the line "It's Lucy with the clientele" (pronounced in the French manner as "CLEE-un-TEL")--she's a hooker, right?--is rendered as "Lucy with the cleaning towel." Huh?

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
10th October 2007 02:33 PM
steel driving hammer Worst song? Not too many atou, 1 or 2 % of their work.

Worst cover? I Wanna Be Your Man.
10th October 2007 02:48 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Rizollin wrote:

LETS DO IT RIGHT
10th October 2007 02:50 PM
BILL PERKS I HATE UNDER MY THUMB AND MOST OF BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)