ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yoko/Paul Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
October 11th, 2005 09:08 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Neocon wrote:

Any John songs classics on Let it Be? I don't think so. How about on the White album? None right? Don't even say Dear Pruence with that roses are red violettes are blue type lyric. Abbey Road, yea maybe come together. Sargent Pepper "A day in Life," Maybe, but again, very much of it's time with Paul contributions. When I'm 64 is timeless. Revolver, any classics from John? No huh?, Rubber Sould, Okay, Norweigen Wood is classic....

Huh?? Are you seriously saying that John has no classics on an album in which he wrote: Im Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, and Tomorrow Never Knows? Or on another album in which he wrote: Happiness is a Warm Gun, Julia, Yer Blues, Revolution 1, and yes, Dear Prudence? I mean, I might let you slide with Let It Be since Dont Let Me Down wasn't originally on it, but, c'mon now...
[Edited by HardKnoxDurtySox]
October 11th, 2005 09:13 PM
Prodigal Son Well Neocon, I disagree. What classics did Paul come up with on The White Album? You say "Dear Prudence" was not classic? I'll mention "Blackbird," "Back in the USSR," "I Will" and "Helter Skelter" for Paul's classics on that double-LP. John's classics in my book were "Dear Prudence" (yes I said it), "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Julia," "Yer Blues," "Sexy Sadie," and "Revolution 1." John holds the edge. Mind you, there's some crap (two of George's tunes, Ringo's) and I'd say Paul and John are equal with "Wild Honey Pie," "Honey Pie," being Macca's and John with the yeuccch factor of "Bungalow Bill" and "Good Night."

On Revolver, Paul did great songs with "Got to Get You into My Life," "Here, There and Everywhere." "Yellow Submarine," is his creation and "Good Day Sunshine" and "For No One" are a bit cheesy for my liking. John's acidic outlook is great on Revolver (this is the UK version) with "And Your Bird Can Sing," "She Said She Said," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Dr. Robert" and "Tomorrow Never Knows."

As for Let it Be, you're probably right cause "Dig a Pony" is John's best on that. But he and Paul collaborated fairly equally on "Two of us," "I've Got a Feeling," "One After 909." As for their first 3 solo albums, it's not contest with the great Plastic Ono Band, the very good Imagine and the awful Some Time in NYC besting the okay McCartney, the good Ram and the awful Wings Wild Life. It's really apples and oranges anyway. It's not exactly wrong to hold the opinion that Paul wrote better songs than John. I just see it differently.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
October 11th, 2005 09:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Huh?? Are you seriously saying that John has no classics on an album in which he wrote: Im Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, and Tomorrow Never Knows? Or on another album in which he wrote: Happiness is a Warm Gun, Julia, Yer Blues, Revolution 1, and yes, Dear Prudence? I mean, I might let you slide with Let It Be since Dont Let Me Down wasn't originally on it, but, c'mon now...
[Edited by HardKnoxDurtySox]

No arguments there. Add in a few from that 1966-1969 that werent mentioned in either your post or ProdigalSon's that followed it ; I Am The Walrus, Ballad of John & Yoko and the single version of Revolution. (Call me weird, but I've always loved both Revolution 9 AND Good Night. Two Lennon compositions back to back which couldnt be more different)
[Edited by Gazza]
October 11th, 2005 09:29 PM
Neocon Look I like She said she said, doctor robert. I think I'm only sleeping bores people to sleep. Tomorrow Never knows, very experimentla, nice work by Paul with the sounds. But Ray Charles Never covered any of these. I don't hear them much on radio. On the White album you'll still here Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Black Bird some times on the radio. I like the John Lennon songs you mention, but they don't strike me as classics. Maybe to Karl Wallinger.

The Two of Us, is a good song, but I don't think it's a classic. Luci in the Sky with Diamonds maybe, but again very much of it's time.

Imagine is a classic solo song, as is Paul stuff like Maybe I'm Amazed, and Live and Let Die.
October 11th, 2005 09:31 PM
Gazza Two Of Us was written by McCartney.
October 11th, 2005 09:32 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No arguments there. Add in a few from that 1966-1969 that werent mentioned in either your post or ProdigalSon's that followed it ; I Am The Walrus, Ballad of John & Yoko and the single version of Revolution. (Call me weird, but I've always loved both Revolution 9 AND Good Night. Two Lennon compositions back to back which couldnt be more different)
[Edited by Gazza]

I love Revolution 9 also. I agree with you that Paul was the main driving force in the "post-touring" era (with the White Album being a notable exception IMO), but I think John more than held up his end of the bargain with his contributions.

In a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone else think that George's Long Long Long from the White Album is one of the most unappreciated classics of all time?
October 11th, 2005 09:33 PM
Neocon Yes, I like I am the Walrus, but more a curiosity with obscure lyrics. Some of his refrences are becom more and more lost in time "semolina pilcher. Not a classic on the scale of Hey Jude, Let it Be or even Imagine.
October 11th, 2005 09:33 PM
jb Another interesting topic posted by JB!!!
October 11th, 2005 09:41 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
jb wrote:
Another interesting topic posted by JB!!!

So, how do you really feel about the Beatles?
October 11th, 2005 09:42 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Neocon wrote:

Any John songs classics on Let it Be? I don't think so. How about on the White album? None right? Don't even say Dear Pruence with that roses are red violettes are blue type lyric. Abbey Road, yea maybe come together. Sargent Pepper "A day in Life," Maybe, but again, very much of it's time with Paul contributions. When I'm 64 is timeless. Revolver, any classics from John? No huh?, Rubber Sould, Okay, Norweigen Wood is classic....

Yes, I, too, would have to say I totally disagree with this statement. Prodigal Son nailed it.

Also, on Abbey Road, aren't you forgetting Sun King, Polythene Pam??? What about I Want You (She's So Heavy)??? All great songs. On Let It Be, what about Across the Universe????

On Rubber, in addition to the ones mentioned by Prodigal Son, there's Nowhere Man, Girl, In My Life, among others. All great songs. All more or less John Lennon songs.

October 11th, 2005 09:45 PM
Neocon I've been a big Beatles fan my whole life and I really don't think "I Will" is a classic of Mccartneys. I actually like the Honey Pie thing at the end. A nice experiment. The ballad of John and Yoko, I don't really like, I prefer his solo Yoko songs like "Dear Yoko" and "Oh Yoko." "Don't Let Me Down" just doesn't do it for me. I like "Yer Blues," but on the popularity scale it's probably behind Back in the USSR and Helter Skelter.

I know this isn't socially acceptable, but I don't much like Platic Ohno band and I'm not impressed that he's dissapeared far up his ass with his lyrics influencing a whole series of uncomfortably introspective Canadain singers like Alanis, Joni Mitchell, Neil young. Yea, I'm Canadian, take it easy! Sure I live in the U.S. LOL
October 11th, 2005 09:48 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Neocon wrote:
I've been a big Beatles fan my whole life and I really don't think "I Will" is a classic of Mccartneys. I actually like the Honey Pie thing at the end. A nice experiment. The ballad of John and Yoko, I don't really like, I prefer his solo Yoko songs like "Dear Yoko" and "Oh Yoko." "Don't Let Me Down" just doesn't do it for me. I like "Yer Blues," but on the popularity scale it's probably behind Back in the USSR and Helter Skelter.

I know this isn't socially acceptable, but I don't much like Platic Ohno band and I'm not impressed that he's dissapeared far up his ass with his lyrics influencing a whole series of uncomfortably introspective Canadain singers like Alanis, Joni Mitchell, Neil young. Yea, I'm Canadian, take it easy! Sure I live in the U.S. LOL

If this is your take on the Beatles then I would say we simply have different taste in music. We agree to disagree in our musical asessments.
October 11th, 2005 09:59 PM
Neocon Rights, it's combo of personal taste, but also a reply to the idea that Paul songs are covered more often. They tend to be less specifically of their time in many cases.

As for Rubber Soul, I like all the songs, but if you're asking about classics, Norweigen Wood, Michelle, Drive My Car, No Where Man, In My Life. Personal opinion is Michelle and Norweigen wood are best.
October 12th, 2005 03:07 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

I love Revolution 9 also. I agree with you that Paul was the main driving force in the "post-touring" era (with the White Album being a notable exception IMO), but I think John more than held up his end of the bargain with his contributions.

In a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone else think that George's Long Long Long from the White Album is one of the most unappreciated classics of all time?

Hell yeah. "Long Long Long" is one of the most haunting, stirring tracks ever made by the Beatles. It's so damn quiet until you hear those big booming drums and there's that lonely-sounding organ. The end is really creepy and sounds all rattley (the story was that on the organ's Leslie cabinet speaker there was a bottle of Blue Nun Wine on top and the notes being held made the speaker shake, causing the bottle to rattle loud enough to be heard in the microphone). That one is perhaps my fave George song with the Beatles other than "Taxman" and "Here Comes the Sun."
October 12th, 2005 10:29 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
...I think the biggest shame when talking about Beatles' song writing, is that everyone talks about Paul vs. John. The biggest mistaken when observing greatness is the exclusion of George Harrison. Some of my favourite Beatle songs were written by George. I admire George not only for his accomplishments, but also his dedication to faith.

ALL THINGS MUST PASS has always been my favourite Beatle solo album.

Good point! I LOVE George for all the same reasons (plus he was the one I wanted to marry) and thank you for bringing him into this conversation Lazy. I don't have "All Things Must Pass" (thanks for the reminder)....but it's on my long list of must get one of these daze. :-)
October 12th, 2005 10:34 AM
Joey
quote:

Neocon wrote:
I hated Venus and Mars, most since then.

' Back to the Egg ' is utterly abysmal !
October 12th, 2005 10:42 AM
Gazza but at least its cover inspired the sleeve of A Bigger Bang!
October 12th, 2005 10:52 AM
Mr.Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
but at least its cover inspired the sleeve of A Bigger Bang!

Ha, I thought perhaps I was the only one who noticed the similarities.
October 12th, 2005 11:08 AM
Neocon I think I liked Rockestra on that one and that's it. I haven't heard it in years. Was there a song about a salamander or something like that on that album?
October 12th, 2005 11:46 AM
Joey

< ------ Another interesting topic posted by JB!!!

October 12th, 2005 11:52 AM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

< ------ Another interesting topic posted by JB!!!

tHANKS JOEY
October 12th, 2005 02:51 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

tHANKS JOEY

You SHALL be greeted this winter at THE QWEST CENTER ( The eighth wonder of the world )

October 12th, 2005 02:56 PM
sammy davis jr. John was beginning to write smaltzy crap too before his death- Woman, Starting Over,Beautiful Boy, etc. The only reason he isn't now is because he is dead. I thought the guy was always an over-rated hypocrite. I mean, he was a wife beater, and kicked some guy nearly to death because it was pointed out he was a flamer w/Epstein...
October 12th, 2005 03:06 PM
jb
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
John was beginning to write smaltzy crap too before his death- Woman, Starting Over,Beautiful Boy, etc. The only reason he isn't now is because he is dead. I thought the guy was always an over-rated hypocrite. I mean, he was a wife beater, and kicked some guy nearly to death because it was pointed out he was a flamer w/Epstein...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 12th, 2005 03:11 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
but at least its cover inspired the sleeve of A Bigger Bang!

October 12th, 2005 03:12 PM
Joey " he was a flamer w/Epstein... "

I would like to baste you in milk for 48 hours, hog-tie you and let hungry baby lambs skeletonize your quivering, quaking carcass.

October 12th, 2005 09:59 PM
Poison Dart FUCK YOKO

What she is doing to Julian Lennon (who has far more talent that Sean Lennon) is a sin.

She doesn't have a millionth the talent of Paul McCartney.

She is famous for nothing else than getting married to someone who was famous. And wrecking his family. She is nothing but a wannabe celeb.

If she didn't meet Lennon when she did she would be working at a car wash today.

FUCK HER
October 12th, 2005 11:28 PM
Martha John was a wife beater? Never heard that one before.
October 13th, 2005 10:11 AM
sammy davis jr. Yeah, it was real sweet of John and Yoko to practically disown Julian after Sean was born. All the money goes to sweet little Sean, who by all accounts is a bitch. Chip off the old hag...
October 13th, 2005 12:40 PM
Stonesthrow Some random thoughts about topics raised here:

1. I despise Yoko for what she did to the Beatles by becoming a wedge between John and Paul. They probably would have split at some time. However, she at least hastened the split thus destroying one of the greatest songwriting teams ever. Her comment after John's question about Paul's music being more widely recorded is that of a classic enabler playing on his insecurity. The Stones had their own "Yokos", first with Keith's drug habit in the '70s and then Mick's desire for a solo career in the '80s. However, unlike the Beatles, they survived.

2. With a few exceptions, the solo songwriting of both John and Paul was inferior to that of their Beatles collaborations. Paul was too sing song sappy, and John was too out there (until his sappy period prior to his death). Each held the other in check so that the sum of their collaborations was greater than the parts.

3. Arguably, Paul rocked better than John. Look at I Want To Hold Your Hand (John) and the flip side, I Saw Her Standing There (Paul). Look at Paperback Writer, Day Tripper, Back In The USSR, Birthday, and Helter Skelter. John never rocked harder than that.

4. Paul was more accomplished on the bass than John was on guitar. Many times, Paul was feted for his bass playing. His lines were just what the song needed and were often very innovative. Think Paperback Writer and two of John's songs mentioned here (Dear Prudence and Come Together).

5. George was entirely underrated as a songwriter when with the Beatles. I liked most of his songs all the way from Don't Bother Me to Something. He even contributed social commentary with songs such as Taxman, Blue Jay Way, and Piggies. My two favorite Beatles songs were both by Harrison-- Within You, Without You and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)