ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yoko/Paul Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
October 11th, 2005 12:14 PM
jb http://www.thisislondon.com/music/articles/20594519?source=Daily%20Mail&ct=5
October 11th, 2005 12:27 PM
telecaster For a "peace and love" type that Yoko sure can launch an attack eh?

What a bitch
October 11th, 2005 12:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well probably Macca deserves everything he gets...but that was just plain petty.
October 11th, 2005 12:51 PM
Martha As far as I'm concerned what Yoko said should not bring about so much fuss. John's songs are NOTHING like MACCA's and never were. Who the hell doesnt' know that? I don't see what she recanted about John tlaking to her in their private lives as putting MACCA down. She shared an intimate piece of her life with John with us and that is all there is to it. Yet, she is white and she is a woman so the bashing has to go on. What a crock of shite. This culture FEEDS off one-upmanship, which is asshole (hate-filled) behavior. Always was and always will be. This behavior starts somewhere in the 6th 7th grade, that is when I was a kid.

I need to recall John's amends song right now:

"Woman"

Woman I can hardly express,
My mixed emotion at my thoughtlessness,
After all I'm forever in your debt,
And woman I will try express,
My inner feelings and thankfullness,
For showing me the meaning of success,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman I know you understand
The little child inside the man,
Please remember my life is in your hands,
And woman hold me close to your heart,
However, distant don't keep us apart,
After all it is written in the stars,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman please let me explain,
I never mean(t) to cause you sorrow or pain,
So let me tell you again and again and again,
I love you (yeah, yeah) now and forever,
I love you (yeah, yeah)....
------------------------------------------------------

Peace to all,
Martha
October 11th, 2005 12:55 PM
Martha
quote:
telecaster wrote:
For a "peace and love" type that Yoko sure can launch an attack eh?

What a bitch

"bitch"
When used as a noun this word expresses misogyny. I know people say it all the time (not in my home though) and I really feel sick anytime I hear or read it anymore unless it is used as a verb.

She launched no attack......re-read the article. Come on. Think it through.

All we are saaaaaaying.....is give peace a chance.

MM

I may be a hick, but I'm no fool.
October 11th, 2005 01:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
As far as I'm concerned what Yoko said should not bring about so much fuss.

I agree...but she was still being petty. No big deal.
October 11th, 2005 01:05 PM
telecaster Yoko didn't launch an attack?

Then why is the article titled "Yoko's New Blast At Macca?"

I was using bitch as an adjective, verb, noun and pro-noun as they all apply to her

She is a 100% phony hypocrite

If she is so into "peace and love", the kind she tries to shove down everyone else's throat 24/7, she would practice it herself

She can''t because she is a phony

October 11th, 2005 01:14 PM
texile i have nothing against yoko as an intelligent women, independent artist etc.....i love women like this - and apparently so did john but...
her comments about macca ARE petty....of all the antedotes she could have shared - she intentionally uses the opportunity to downgrade her late husband's songwriting partner to elevate her own place in his life;
i think resents paul's role in john's life - because in spite of everything - they had a connection that excluded her.
October 11th, 2005 01:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Well I wouldn't put too much stock in how they headline articles. Alot of times they're intentionally misleading.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
October 11th, 2005 01:17 PM
Bloozehound Macca outta gag YOko with his wife's wooden leg
October 11th, 2005 01:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Macca outta gag YOko with his wife's wooden leg

I dunno it just seems that this Beatles family is fighting all the time. Why can't they just all get along, like the Stones family.
October 11th, 2005 01:23 PM
texile
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I dunno it just seems that this Beatles family is fighting all the time. Why can't they just all get along, like the Stones family.

lol....
October 11th, 2005 01:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
She launched no attack......re-read the article. Come on. Think it through.

Yes she did. She used an awards ceremony aimed at honouring her late husband's talent to insult another artist's ability in a completely unprovoked manner.

McCartney has more talent in his toenails than Yoko has in her entire body. The fact that Lennon lost sleep over the fact that more people covered McCartney's songs was his problem. Its not an excuse to publicly blast the guy just because of her own husband's insecurity.

The excuse that she gets this flak because she's not white and because she's a woman doesnt add up. You cant hide behind that excuse all the time and stereotype all of her critics like that. She's a petty, inconsiderate ass, pure and simple - regardless of what sex or race she is.

What Texile said above is 100% correct
October 11th, 2005 02:24 PM
texile there is no question that john respected paul as a songwriter and that they had a very complicated relationship -
yoko's claims just denegrates, simplifies that relationship ....it was paul singing back-up on all those great lennon songs...and it was paul and john laughing and singing together on the roof in let it be...
in spite of thier petty fighting, jealousies and bitching -and god knows macca can be petty -
they were musical soul mates.....yoko can't compete with that...
October 11th, 2005 02:48 PM
Prodigal Son Maybe it's time for Julian to speak up against Ono's bitching. I hate how she hated the Nike ad using "Revolution" but as long as it makes HER money, she'll sell his lyrics and likeness on everything from mugs to postcards. Are ladies panties that far away? John did fret sometimes about how Paul's more trite work was covered and loved better (but in the long run this will become less apparent), but it was no grudge. They made up and were friendly again by the late 70s. Yet stupid Yoko still holds some kind of resentment toward Paul.

The usually quiet Ringo ought to get off his drum stool and smash her over the head with his tom-toms. Macca will be seen as a guy who did his best work alongside John then was exposed as the sentimental fool he really was in his solo career. Meanwhile, John (whose work is preferred by critics and most rock fans) will be seen vice-versa with his solo career exposing him as the bitter, irritable slave to Yoko he really was. John's solo career (minus Ono) still stacks up better.

As much as people like jb slam anything and everything Beatle-related, the fact is Plastic Ono Band is a fantastic hard rocking bare-bones album that almost rivals the Stones in terms of its furious sound. John could be poppy too but he always knew how to do rock music. I mean, let's look at Paul's best "rock" songs ("Jet," "Band on the Run," "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Hey Jude," "Helter Skelter," etc.), they don't stack up to John's at all. 75% of John's songs were rock. Paul couldn't rock unless he was aping 50s music.

If George were still alive, he'd tell Yoko to kiss Hare Krishna's ass. Although his solo career lags behind the other two a bit, I always admired George's level-headedness and his ability to see the world in a manner devoid of bullshit (even though he had his strict religious beliefs, he never tried to foist them upon the public in ways Yoko and John did politically). It's too bad he's not around to put things into perspective because this fighting is amazingly stupid. Macca is living to outlive Yoko and he's got a good chance (she's 72!).
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
October 11th, 2005 02:59 PM
Martha
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Yoko didn't launch an attack?

Perhaps because that headline gets everyone's attention. Whadda you think? She has always demonized by the media from day one. We've been brainwashed to hate her. That is what racism and sexism are all about. Look how well it works.
----------------------------------------------------------

I was using bitch as an adjective, verb, noun and pro-noun as they all apply to her

She is a 100% phony hypocrite

If she is so into "peace and love", the kind she tries to shove down everyone else's throat 24/7, she would practice it herself
--------------------------------------------------------
LOL She does practice peace....but I quess you must know her personally to have so much to say about her intentions.
-----------------------------------------------------------

She can''t because she is a phony
-----------------------------------------------------
???????????????????????????

Oh, I forgot, you know her personally.

October 11th, 2005 03:08 PM
texile when someone speaks so publically - we don't have to know them persoanlly....its all out there.
as for prodigal's point .....
but paul is what he is - and what he WAS with john was a talented songwriter who was challenged by his talented musical partner - john's early political anthems (angela davis anyone?)were simplistic...as trite as anything silly love song macca dished out..
i loved them both for what they were - two creative souls who crossed paths and gave me great music.
October 11th, 2005 03:13 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yes she did. She used an awards ceremony aimed at honouring her late husband's talent to insult another artist's ability in a completely unprovoked manner.

McCartney has more talent in his toenails than Yoko has in her entire body. The fact that Lennon lost sleep over the fact that more people covered McCartney's songs was his problem. Its not an excuse to publicly blast the guy just because of her own husband's insecurity.

The excuse that she gets this flak because she's not white and because she's a woman doesnt add up. You cant hide behind that excuse all the time and stereotype all of her critics like that. She's a petty, inconsiderate ass, pure and simple - regardless of what sex or race she is.

What Texile said above is 100% correct

I've never met her. I don't know what she's like personally. I have a great respect for her as an artist and activist. I wasn't at the ceremony and haven't seen any footage of her speaking ( is there a way to see it?) so I don't know what it was like being there and how it sounded to everyone.

I just don't take her words as bashing or blasting Paul. I took it more along the lines of how things were then (on the radio) and the obvious differences in Paul's writing and lyrical style and John's, which are like night and day. From that perspective, in my opinion what she said is not a put-down.

MACCA is still rocking and bringing in the buckos and enjoying his life doing what he does. John was not in the mainstream in the way Paul was and is. That is what Yoko was pointing out to him. So that is the way I took her comment.

I don't think Yoko is ever treated normally so it is easy to go overboard about her. I usually refrain from talking to anyone about her because she is so disliked (hated) by almost everyone I talk with. I don't want to hear it so I keep my thoughts to myself. Except today I fell off the wagon. Ooooooopsy!
October 11th, 2005 03:14 PM
Joey " For a "peace and love" type that Yoko sure can launch an attack eh?"
|
|
|
|
|
V

YESSIR !!!!

October 11th, 2005 03:30 PM
telecaster joey lunch tomorrow at "Cattlemans?"
October 11th, 2005 03:34 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
joey lunch tomorrow at "Cattlemans?"

Tele ....................................

Have your gal call mine and we will round up the usual suspects : Pat Powers , Punk Anderson , Jeremy Wendall , Jo Bob Priddy !!!!!

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/

October 11th, 2005 03:44 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Joey wrote:

Tele ....................................

Have your gal call mine and we will round up the usual suspects : Pat Powers , Punk Anderson , Jeremy Wendall , Jo Bob Priddy !!!!!

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/

Hi Joey, If I was your captain would you salute me?
October 11th, 2005 04:05 PM
Joey " Hi Joey, If I was your captain would you salute me? "

October 11th, 2005 04:39 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Hi Joey, If I was your captain would you salute me? "

Thanks.
October 11th, 2005 07:45 PM
Mr.Riffhard That's odd, to me Paul was always the better singer. He has much more of a range and better pitch than Lennon. (Please take note that's not a bash on John, I love John, I'm just making an observation)
October 11th, 2005 07:57 PM
Neocon I think one reason Paul's Songs are covered more than John's is Paul wrote better songs. Paul wrote lots of shitty songs, but he also did a lot great ones:

Let it Be
Hey Jude
When I'm 64
Yesterday
Michelle
Blackbird
side 2 of Abbey Road
I've Got a feeling
Elanor Rigby
Back in the USSR
Helter Skelter
I've Just Seen a Face

They all sounds different also. I do think his 1st 3 solo albums were pretty good. I like songs Like Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, Everynight, Too Many People, Heart of The Country, 3 leggs.......... I hated Venus and Mars, most since then. Didn't love Johns' solo work. The popular media seems to want up to love it, but it's just not too good by and large.
October 11th, 2005 08:09 PM
texile riff and neocon said it:
paul has been underrated because john casts such a long and tragic shadow over everything...
i love them both but paul gets diminished far too often -
half of my favorite beatles songs are paul's......
October 11th, 2005 08:16 PM
Neocon Lots lots of John's best song are more or less of their time and that's good and bad. Strawberyy Fields and come together are good example. Plus Paul bass riff is what makes Come Together a good song anyway. Paul's idea of slowing it down and revolving it around his swampy bass riff.

Any John songs classics on Let it Be? I don't think so. How about on the White album? None right? Don't even say Dear Pruence with that roses are red violettes are blue type lyric. Abbey Road, yea maybe come together. Sargent Pepper "A day in Life," Maybe, but again, very much of it's time with Paul contributions. When I'm 64 is timeless. Revolver, any classics from John? No huh?, Rubber Sould, Okay, Norweigen Wood is classic....
October 11th, 2005 09:00 PM
Lazy Bones ...I think the biggest shame when talking about Beatles' song writing, is that everyone talks about Paul vs. John. The biggest mistaken when observing greatness is the exclusion of George Harrison. Some of my favourite Beatle songs were written by George. I admire George not only for his accomplishments, but also his dedication to faith.

ALL THINGS MUST PASS has always been my favourite Beatle solo album.

October 11th, 2005 09:07 PM
Gazza well..the best two songs on what is the Beatles' best album (Abbey Road) are Harrison songs (unless you count the long medley as one song)

He certainly developed as a writer by the time that record came out. Taxman and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are none too shabby either. And yeah, "All Things Must Pass" is indeed a fine record. I've always had a lot of time for George as a human being.

Like it or not, McCartney was the main creative and driving force in the latter post-touring half of the Beatles career. His biggest crime legacy-wise seems to be that he was too pretty, wasnt as 'cool' as Lennon and didnt die tragically young.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)