ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The low point in Stones history Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
27th September 2006 02:49 PM
glencar Jack'll be there!
27th September 2006 03:42 PM
pdog Keith's set in Boston...
I've not yet reconciled what I saw in the video shot by a fan.
27th September 2006 04:37 PM
gustavobala 1-their satanic

2-european tour 76

3-bridges to babylon

4-undercover

5-dirty work
27th September 2006 05:50 PM
tumbling dice
live; Hide park 69 and the most parts of European tour 76.
studio;Satanic
27th September 2006 06:06 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Good God, DW might have been disappointing being that it was in the legendary Stones discography but it's no "Face Dances"!

Please try and behave ......................

Face Dances is a classic .
27th September 2006 06:13 PM
glencar Oy! No one can realistically claim that!
27th September 2006 08:09 PM
stonedinaustralia DW is fine by me - i've even come to like the cheesy 80's sounding stuff like WU and BTZero Had it With You and Fight have always rocked and both keith numbers are gems

but correct it is, imhmfgdo, that it represnts the band's lowest point as that is what they hit while making it - the death of stu the single most important event in the band's history -one that moved it to its foundations and the resulting cracks have been there ever since and always will be
28th September 2006 12:38 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

On this, we are allies.

Make that a Triple Entente. BTW, Olbermann played "One Hit to the Body" on his show last night.
28th September 2006 12:56 AM
glencar Olbermann allegedly got an antrax scare. He's a pussy; I'm sure the triple entente will agree on THAT!
28th September 2006 01:07 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
Olbermann allegedly got an antrax scare. He's a pussy; I'm sure the triple entente will agree on THAT!

Terroristic threats are a big laugh. But if your version of the incident comes from the New York Post, you may be misinformed.
[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
28th September 2006 01:13 AM
glencar Yes, that is where it came from. I have given up on KO's show. The same shit everyday. Even General Fucking Hospital is more interesting these days.
28th September 2006 01:15 AM
Brainbell Jangler You've got a point there. Though tonight, he refuted the Post version line by line.
28th September 2006 03:31 AM
White House Lawn I'll take DIRTY WORK over STEEL WHEELS any day of the week . . . !
28th September 2006 03:32 AM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
White House Lawn wrote:
I'll take DIRTY WORK over STEEL WHEELS any day of the week . . . !

Amen!
28th September 2006 03:47 AM
Altamont 3 songs off Steel Wheels: Almost Hear You Sigh, Continental Drift amd Slipping Away are better than the entire Dirty Work record.

Stu had the best song on Dirty Work.
28th September 2006 04:47 AM
F505
quote:
Altamont wrote:
3 songs off Steel Wheels: Almost Hear You Sigh, Continental Drift amd Slipping Away are better than the entire Dirty Work record.

Correction: ONE song of Steel Wheels beats the entire Dirty Work album: Continental Drift. A masterpiece.
[Edited by F505]
28th September 2006 10:27 AM
Joey
quote:
Altamont wrote:
3 songs off Steel Wheels: Almost Hear You Sigh, Continental Drift amd Slipping Away are better than the entire Dirty Work record.

Man you said it ........ Well Done .

I LOVE Steel Wheels .

OUTSTANDING Comeback Record ..... Word

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
28th September 2006 10:28 AM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:

Correction: ONE song of Steel Wheels will do to beat the entire Dirty Work album: Continental Drift. A masterpiece.

Good Morning F505 .....

What we drinkin' this morning ?

Kins
28th September 2006 11:11 AM
F505
quote:
Joey wrote:

Good Morning F505 .....

What we drinkin' this morning ?

Kins

28th September 2006 12:10 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28th September 2006 12:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Every time Mick releases a solo album is the low point in Stones history.
28th September 2006 01:05 PM
MrPleasant Satanic...

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/stones.htm#satanic

This one is probably the most understated rock record in history. Issued right after the Stones' infamous drug bust and in the midst of the Summer of Love and all, it's psychedelic, and has been regularly thrashed for being a rip-off of Sergeant Pepper. This is true, but only partly. Actually, it's not more a rip-off of Sergeant Pepper than it is of any other trippy album of the epoch - like Disraeli Gears, for instance, or whatever Jefferson Airplane or The Doors were doing at the moment. It's just that nobody was expecting a psychedelic album from The Rolling Stones; but, on the other hand, what else was one expected to do in 1967? Everybody was tripping - if you weren't tripping, you were probably recovering from a motorcycle accident! Hell, even the Monkees were tripping (at least, they were pretending to!) And, come to think of it, this record's similarity to Sgt Pepper doesn't extend much beyond the cover art and the fact that there's a song with a reprise and a 'band-within-a-band' song ('On With The Show'). Actually, I'd say that musically Between The Buttons was much closer to Pepper, with its music hall atmosphere and an immaculate collection of pop ditties. Satanic is a truly tripped out album with layers of 'cosmic conscience' - more reminiscent of early Pink Floyd than of the Beatles.
So scram all that hokey-pokey talk and think about the actual musical value, instead. Actual musical value? Why, it's right here, goddamn! The opening 'Sing This All Together' is eventually the same pop stuff they've been doing earlier, only set to a bizarre instrumentation and punctuated with silly 'underwater' noises. Weird, silly 'underwater' noises that I just love hearing. And the main melody is wonderful, as catchy as ever. The rip-roaring 'Citadel' is eventually the same rocking stuff they'd be off a-doin' since Beggar's Banquet, only set to some bizarre lyrics and punctuated with an ear-bursting 'ting' sound from the Mellotron (was it Mellotron or something even weirder, I wonder?) A sci-fi tale, for sure, but why not pay attention to the fact that it is set to an absolutely distinctive, hard rocking and, believe it or not, classic Richards riff? Above all, it's just a strong hard rock tune, embellished by different gimmicks and gadgets. They could be missing for all I care - which does not mean I don't like 'em. There's substance!
Then again, we have something completely unusual in 'In Another Land', which is the only composition by Bill Wyman he's ever contributed to the Stones. It's romantic and gentle, and much better than all his disco albums. The vocals are let through some tremolo effect, since Wyman wasn't too sure about the idea of him singing, but one can get used to that. And you also get to hear him snoring in the end!
Besides all these ditties, you also can enjoy 'She's A Rainbow', a timeless Mozart-like piano classic, and the only true 'classic' from this album ('classic' in the meaning 'played on the radio'); with its strings arrangement, conducted by future Zepster J. P. Jones, it's the most pompous tune they'd done to that day - and it works, unlike all the bland Moody Blues orchestration. Another more or less known tune is '2000 Light Years From Home', a great astro-theme which I would prefer over the entire 60's Pink Floyd catalogue any time of the day (and hey, I don't have anything in particular against 60's Pink Floyd, but they sure lacked the Stones' songwriting talents). The song's scary! And all the astral noises, that are used moderately, but effectively, they really make you feel lost in space, 100, 600, 2000 light years from home... In my humble opinion, this song still stands as proof irresistible to the fact that the Stones were the only band in the world, besides the Beatles, that could try their hand at every genre and come out with a winner. '2000 Man' might not be that good, although I really like the acoustic sound in the beginning; I do admit, though, that it would be a far more interesting choice for the upcoming 'song of the millenium' than the stupidly chosen 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll' (have you heard that one yet? it's gonna be performed by a cast of thousands on New Year's Eve! and they'll do their best to sound like a bunch of talentless idiots, you bet your life). That line about 'having an affair with a random computer' is a good one... is Mick really planning on that any time soon?
The record's main stinker is usually considered an eight-minute reprise of 'Sing This All Together' reinterpreted as a psychedelic sound collage which you may like or may not like, but I sure say it's better than 'Revolution 9', anyway. It has rhythm - it's actually more a jam than a collage, and maybe it takes time to assimilate it, but I love almost every second. The nasty screaming in the middle, when the rhythm disappears, does bug me sometimes even now, though.
My choice for best song, however, might surprise some persons quite a bit - while '2000 Light Years' might be as good a choice as can be, I still place it second to 'The Lantern' with its mystical, Eastern flavour. I know it sounds strange, but I simply adore Mick's tone on that one. The way he intones the verses ('you'll LEAVE a light... to LET me know... TELL me so...') has always fascinated me, from the very start. The lyrics are rather banal, of course, but who cares? In comparison to, say, Led Zeppelin's flat-foot, gruff take on mysticism, this one is gentle, exotic and totally non-generic. And it sounds so sincere that you could really easily believe Jagger was sprung from an Aladdin lamp.
For me, the misfire is the closing bar-room joke 'On With The Show' which just does not belong here (now this is a real Pepper rip-off), and the overlong 'Gomper' makes me a little uncomfortable with the extended jam part, although I've got used to it already. But these are just occasional, slight misfires, like on any other record 'cept the very best. In fact, this record would deserve a 9, but I've lowered the rating just a small bit - anyway, psychedelia is not the Stones' blue plate special, isn't it? Also, you just may not enjoy that eight-minute thing that much.
28th September 2006 11:42 PM
Chuck Come to think of it, Dave Matthews singing Memory Motel was pretty freaking low.

And Mick's video 'Let's Work' may be the worst video I have ever seen.

29th September 2006 10:27 AM
Navin
quote:
Joey wrote:

Man looks in the abyss and sees the " Dirty Work " album staring back up at him .....

...it is at THAT point that Man finds his character and THAT is what keeps Man out of the abyss .

Kins .

You say "Abyss" like it's a bad word....

'The Abyss' - I live there - being living there all the time...almost since being thrown into this life...my dirty filthy invalid basement...my home from hell...and my private hell...

and that record is playing here most of the time...

....I Like it, love it, Like it, Love it...Yes I do !!

Meet me at the Bottom...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)