ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang vs Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
26th September 2006 03:42 PM
Egbert ABB would make a solid 10 song CD.
26th September 2006 03:44 PM
glencar I agee with that but I still prefer it over ER.
26th September 2006 03:51 PM
GotToRollMe ER, without a doubt.
26th September 2006 05:31 PM
Some Guy
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Absolutley love it! I first got laid to this album!

dude, you get laid a lot.
26th September 2006 05:57 PM
Soldatti ER: #1 in US during 7 weeks, multi-platinum seller, the title track was a massive top 3 hit followed by SSC, another really big hit. It still sounds fucking cool, 26+ years and counting.
ABB: #3 in US with low sales, no hits, no decent airplay for any song and their worst selling studio album ever.
I can't see comparisons.
26th September 2006 05:59 PM
pdog
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Absolutley love it! I first got laid to this album!

What was his name?

Tee Hee!
26th September 2006 06:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot ER vs ABB?

My hope would be that they both beat each other into an unrecognizable bloody mess. Each would then be humanely euthanized, and buried...never to be heard again.

But if I REALLY have to pick one...I'll pick 12X5.
26th September 2006 06:14 PM
Saint Sway Summer Romance is some damn fine Keith riff'in. Crank it.
26th September 2006 06:48 PM
texile hush sir, you were not invited to this party...
we KNOW your thoughts on the matter.
and soldatti is right -
people forget how big a hit the title track was...
friends who were not fans loved this song.
i love the groove on er better than tattoo -
while tattoo had that slicker sound, er was a carry over from some girls - same vibe and ranch.
i believe er was the LAST of the true raunch.
26th September 2006 06:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
texile wrote:
i believe er was the LAST of the true raunch.

they were still on a non-stop coke bender from the 70s when they cranked out the ER album.

The beauty of the record is that it sounds like it was cranked out during a non-stop 3 day jag
26th September 2006 07:05 PM
texile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

they were still on a non-stop coke bender from the 70s when they cranked out the ER album.

The beauty of the record is that it sounds like it was cranked out during a non-stop 3 day jag

yeah - it's got that frantic energy you can only have from too many sleepless nights and other mood enhancers.
26th September 2006 07:11 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
ER vs ABB?

My hope would be that they both beat each other into an unrecognizable bloody mess. Each would then be humanely euthanized, and buried...never to be heard again.

But if I REALLY have to pick one...I'll pick 12X5.

You do realize that you are an honorary member of the honorary He-Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society.
26th September 2006 07:14 PM
Saint Sway secret handshake?
26th September 2006 07:15 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
secret handshake?

archaic reference lost on younger posters.
26th September 2006 07:16 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
pdog wrote:

What was his name?

Tee Hee!

Pdog, bitch!

lol
26th September 2006 07:23 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue was originally released June 24, 1980, it went to #1 in both the UK & US. The album includes the single hits Emotional Rescue and She's So Cold. Most people know the music, so in my reviews I try to give you data on the sessions and interesting facts connected with the songs and the album. Here we go:

Interesting notes include:
.....the vinyl album was released with a large color poster of images taken of the Band with a thermographic camera that imaged the body heat instead of light.....a video was also done with thermographic cameras
.....the tracks on the album were recorded while Keith started his band The New Barbarians to fulfill his drug conviction sentence in Toronto by playing a benefit for the blind, which he did with Ron Wood and the rest of the Stones, and then did a tour (which made no money because the drug expenses were so high)....John Belushi was with the Band for most of the tour
.....Band members Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, and Ian McLagan all released albums (with accusations that their best work had gone into their solo efforts)

The sessions for Emotional Rescue were very productive with many unreleased songs. They started in Nassau and continued in Paris with overdub and final mixing at Electric Lady Studios in NYC during Nov & Dec of 1979 and in April 1980.
Jan 18 - Feb 12, 1979 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau
.....She's So Cold
.....All About You
Jun 10 - Aug 25 & Sep 12 - Oct 19, 1979 at Pathe Marconi/EMI Studios in Paris
.....Dance
.....Summer Romance
.....Send It To Me
.....Let Me Go
.....Indian Girl
.....Where The Boys Go
.....Down In The Hole
.....Emotional Rescue

Also recorded during the Emotional Rescue sessions were:
.....Little T & A (released on Tattoo You)
.....Hang Fire (released on Tattoo You)
.....Worried About You (released on Tattoo You)
.....If I Was A Dancer (Dance, Pt. 2) (released as a 12" single)
.....Black Limousine (released on Tattoo You)
.....No Use In Crying (released on Tattoo You)

Tracks from these sessions that were never released included Gangster's Moll, I'll Let You Know, Linda Lu, Lonely At the Top, It Won't Be Long, Still In Love, Sweet Home Chicago, What's The Matter, You're So Beautiful (But You Gotta Die Someday), Break Away, and Sands Of Time.
26th September 2006 07:23 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

dude, you get laid a lot.

26th September 2006 07:40 PM
glencar Wasn't Worried About You recorded several yrs earlier?
26th September 2006 07:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wasn't Worried About You recorded several yrs earlier?

yes. Rotterdam 1975. They re-did the vocals in Paris in 1979.

Bizarre that it was finished in plenty of time for Emotional Rescue but they still left it off, but chose to release drivel such as "Indian Girl" instead

There was enough good material recorded for ER for it to have been a superb album, but only about half of it is up to standard. One of the few Stones albums when their selection process was found wanting.

Sound and production-wise though, the 1978-81 era Stones records were their greatest
26th September 2006 07:50 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Sound and production-wise though, the 1978-81 era Stones records were their greatest

Chris Kinney
26th September 2006 07:52 PM
Gazza Kimsey. But yep, thats the guy.
26th September 2006 07:53 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Chris Kinney

is he still available?
26th September 2006 07:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

is he still available?

who cares?

you cant shine shit
26th September 2006 08:01 PM
Your Cousin Lou I gotta go with Emotional Rescue on this. Not that I think ABB is bad, but I think ER is vastly underrated. Sometimes I prefer it to Some Girls.
26th September 2006 08:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just thought I heard emotional rescue playing...turns out it was just the guy sitting across from me farting.
26th September 2006 08:27 PM
texile watch it about indian girl gazza - i love that song...
and actually, i think the worried about you vocals are the originals from 74, munich....
26th September 2006 08:31 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
ER: #1 in US during 7 weeks, multi-platinum seller, the title track was a massive top 3 hit followed by SSC, another really big hit. It still sounds fucking cool, 26+ years and counting.
ABB: #3 in US with low sales, no hits, no decent airplay for any song and their worst selling studio album ever.
I can't see comparisons.

All true -- and all irrelevant as to essential quality. ER was a highly likeable batch of leftovers from one of the band's most inspired recording sessions ("Some Girls"). I think ABB tracks 1-12 notch just behind Tattoo You...
26th September 2006 08:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Bizarre that it was finished in plenty of time for Emotional Rescue but they still left it off, but chose to release drivel such as "Indian Girl" instead

Along with Texile, I dig "Indian Girl" too -- a catchy little cold war gem.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
26th September 2006 08:59 PM
texile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Along with Texile, I dig "Indian Girl" too -- a catchy little cold war gem.
[Edited by Mel Belli]

well said belli -
an still undiscovered gem at that, the lines are so cryptic but so dead on...
26th September 2006 09:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
texile wrote:
watch it about indian girl gazza - i love that song...
and actually, i think the worried about you vocals are the originals from 74, munich....

Rotterdam '75. Wayne Perkins plays guitar on that session, when they were trying out the new guitarists. They kept the original backing track when they reworked the song in 1979. The vocal is from 1979.

The version from 1975 thats on bootlegs, such as "Tattoo Too" contains some minor lyrical differences to the released version and the 1979 vocal has the falsetto
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)