ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang vs Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
26th September 2006 12:50 PM
Green Tea I think there are quite a few similarities between these two records. Both, in overall quality and style.

"Streets of Love" and "Emotional Rescue" are both the flavor of the moment attempts to get airplay at pop radio stations.

"Dance: part 1" and "Rain Fall Down" are both attempts to get into the dance craze of the moment.

"This Place is Empty" and "All About You" are nice underrated Keith Ballads.

"She's So Cold" + "Let Me Go" and "Oh No, Not you Again" and "Rough Justice" are very good but not truly great
rockers with attitude.

"Biggest Mistake" + "Indian Girl" are weak ballads.

"Back of My Hand" and "Down in the Hole" are very solid if not spectacular attempts at the blues.

"She Saw me Coming" and "Send it to Me" are both fun but lightweight songs.

"Driving Too Fast" and "Look what the Cat Dragged In" as well as "Where the Boys Go" and "Summer Romance" are harmless filler.

Which of of these two albums do you prefer? And do you see the similarities. Or,is it just me?
26th September 2006 01:02 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue was bigger than disco. It is the #1 selling Stones album of all time. It is way too cool to be mentioned with ABB. The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society will frown upon this thread.
26th September 2006 01:04 PM
jb No comparison...ER a great albu, ABB a artistic and commercial failure....
26th September 2006 01:04 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue does more before 9AM that most albums do all day long.
26th September 2006 01:06 PM
Green Tea JB:

Do you really think ER is a "great record"?
26th September 2006 01:09 PM
jb
quote:
Green Tea wrote:
JB:

Do you really think ER is a "great record"?

Emtional Rescue, She's so Cold, All About You, Send it to me, Little Indian Girl, Down in the Hole, Let me go=yes, I think it is great.
26th September 2006 01:10 PM
Egbert Good points GT. I prefer ER over ABB but that may have more to do with it being out when I first really starting getting into the Stones than anything else. I do think ER has better lyrics overall and I like the more subtle production.
26th September 2006 01:19 PM
texile
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Emotional Rescue was bigger than disco. It is the #1 selling Stones album of all time. It is way too cool to be mentioned with ABB. The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society will frown upon this thread.

here, here...
and to mention indian girl is the same sentence as ABM is a travesty.
26th September 2006 01:27 PM
winter All About You
Down in the Hole
Dance
Let Me Go
She's So Cold
Emotional Rescue

Even, Summer Romance and Where the Boys All Go -

ER is an underrated gem. Much better than ABB.

Wintah
26th September 2006 01:27 PM
pdog Where is SS.... must hear his thoughts on this!
26th September 2006 01:30 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:
All About You
Down in the Hole
Dance
Let Me Go
She's So Cold
Emotional Rescue

Even, Summer Romance and Where the Boys All Go -

ER is an underrated gem. Much better than ABB.

Wintah

Boston was somewhat open(3k empties w/only 45k offered). UM has hit rock bottom!!!
26th September 2006 01:37 PM
Egbert
quote:
pdog wrote:
Where is SS.... must hear his thoughts on this!

New Adult Contemptorary vs old Adult Contemptorary?

[Edited by Egbert]
26th September 2006 01:37 PM
winter
quote:
jb wrote:

Boston was somewhat open(3k empties w/only 45k offered). UM has hit rock bottom!!!

UM has definitely hit rock bottom. Coker must go. I fear the road to return to glory is going to be long and hard. The rest of the country has finally caught up to the speed of the Florida schools.

You missed a great time at Gilette. The attendance numbers were not the embarrassment that we feared - they did a good job making the stadium look full. Great tailgate before hand hosted by Nellcote et al.

The first 8 or so songs of the set list (plus Under My Thumb and You Got the Silver) where a treat, and worth the price of admission. Ronnie was on fire, Keith, unfortunately, on cruise control. After years of anticipation, Little T&A as a disappointment (need to cut the horns and back up singers). But all and all, it was a great time.

Go Gators . . . .

wintah
26th September 2006 01:41 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:

UM has definitely hit rock bottom. Coker must go. I fear the road to return to glory is going to be long and hard. The rest of the country has finally caught up to the speed of the Florida schools.

You missed a great time at Gilette. The attendance numbers were not the embarrassment that we feared - they did a good job making the stadium look full. Great tailgate before hand hosted by Nellcote et al.

The first 8 or so songs of the set list (plus Under My Thumb and You Got the Silver) where a treat, and worth the price of admission. Ronnie was on fire, Keith, unfortunately, on cruise control. After years of anticipation, Little T&A as a disappointment (need to cut the horns and back up singers). But all and all, it was a great time.

Go Gators . . . .

wintah

Agreed...Shalala also has made it very difficult to recruit kids who are academically challenged. We are looking at 4 yrs after we fire Coker at seasons end. And yes, I regret not going to Boston-nice setlist, despite the embarrassment that has becomne KR. Regards!!!
26th September 2006 01:42 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:

despite the embarrassment that has becomne KR. Regards!!!

Has it occurred to you that perhaps residual effects of a head injury and lack of proper recovery play SOME role in this?

I have.

LJ.
26th September 2006 01:45 PM
Gimme Shelter Emotional Rescue
26th September 2006 01:51 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Has it occurred to you that perhaps residual effects of a head injury and lack of proper recovery play SOME role in this?

I have.

LJ.

I believe there was a substantial decline long before the "incident". I also agree that we will never be 100% sure exactly waht happened to Keith in Fiji(hi Fiji!!!). However, while ordinarily one woould sympathize Keith, he lost a lot of good will with me for his chronic put down of Mick, Mick Taylor, and virtually anyone who might have had, shall we say, more talent than KR on guitar. Moreover, he had the unmitigated gaul to put down Mick's "knighthood", yet, this tosser is to appear in a fucking Disney wank-off called POC3!!! The height of hypocrisy LJ!!!!
26th September 2006 02:20 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:

Emtional Rescue, She's so Cold, All About You, Send it to me, Little Indian Girl, Down in the Hole, Let me go=yes, I think it is great.

You have elevated your status.
26th September 2006 02:28 PM
glencar I have a certain fondness for ER because it was released when I first became a huge fan of the Stones. I still have the news clippings about it in my house somewhere. I love the opening of ER the song itself. Send It To Me has worn out its welcome but Let Me Go & especially Summer Romance have grown nicely over the ensuing decades. HOWEVER, ABB wins this contest hands down. Better songs, better singing, better production, better playing. It's a shame that the Stones have outgrown the market...
26th September 2006 02:30 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have a certain fondness for ER because it was released when I first became a huge fan of the Stones. I still have the news clippings about it in my house somewhere. I love the opening of ER the song itself. Send It To Me has worn out its welcome but Let Me Go & especially Summer Romance have grown nicely over the ensuing decades. HOWEVER, ABB wins this contest hands down. Better songs, better singing, better production, better playing. It's a shame that the Stones have outgrown the market...

Tell me about Keith's current set?
26th September 2006 02:30 PM
Some Guy
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's a shame that the Stones have outgrown the market...

outlived?
26th September 2006 02:42 PM
F505 ER is very mediocre except for 2 or 3 songs (Dance, Down In The Hole, Where The Boys Go)

ABB is much much better. Best Stones album since Tattoo.
26th September 2006 03:01 PM
texile
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Good points GT. I prefer ER over ABB but that may have more to do with it being out when I first really starting getting into the Stones than anything else.

that's a big part of it for me too.....
that summer is a great memory.....
i remember the radio station playing cuts throughout the day a few days before it was released.
hearing stuff like all about you and indian girl was so cool becasue they were different.

26th September 2006 03:06 PM
Saint Sway ER makes me want to drink and party.

ABB makes me want to drink in misery.

ER is a blast. Fun Friday night record. Its a rush listening to it from start to finish. Fun all the way thru - from "hey Keith watcha doin..." all the way to Keith's gorgeous closing ballad

ABB I can only get thru 4 or 5 songs in their entirity. The rest make me cringe. I cant hit the skip button fast enough of that shit.
26th September 2006 03:12 PM
RollingstonesUSA Absolutley love it! I first got laid to this album!
26th September 2006 03:12 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

Tell me about Keith's current set?

A definite time to take a piss, pee or #2. If he doesn't lose the horns, I ain't staying.
26th September 2006 03:13 PM
glencar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

outlived?

Simply outrageous yet BRILLIANT!
glencar
quote:
F505 wrote:
ER is very mediocre except for 2 or 3 songs (Dance, Down In The Hole, Where The Boys Go)

ABB is much much better. Best Stones album since Tattoo.

Yes, I might even like it more than TY. My jury is "still in discussion."
glencar
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Absolutley love it! I first got laid to this album!

NICE!
26th September 2006 03:16 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
glencar wrote:
NICE!

Have you seen this 29yr old virgin girl on tv....
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)