ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Daily Mirror with special thanks to Bootcover
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is this board milked out? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
September 22nd, 2004 04:23 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>You make Joey weep and shit liquid !!!!!!!!!<

Originally posted on Gasx3 as:

"You make Maxy weep and shit liquid."

Stolen and self-servingly reposted with love by Joey.

********* BLANK FRIGGIN STARE **************

{ J }
{ O }
{ E }
{ Y }

{ J } { O } { E } { Y }

September 22nd, 2004 04:24 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Do you think flooding this board with your nonsense is actually something worthy of respect?

I do.

would you liked to be uncaked?

September 22nd, 2004 04:26 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>You make Joey weep and shit liquid !!!!!!!!!<

Originally posted on Gasx3 as:

"You make Maxy weep and shit liquid."

Stolen and self-servingly reposted with love by Joey.

pomo dada
September 22nd, 2004 04:37 PM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

pomo dada

{{{{ WTF ?!?! }}}}
September 22nd, 2004 04:41 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

{{{{ WTF ?!?! }}}}

Americans Eating More Cheese Than Ever

Wed Sep 22, 2:04 AM ET Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press Writer

FRESNO, Calif. - Americans are eating more cheese than ever — more than 30 pounds a person per year — and their appetite for more variety is growing, a national survey says.

AP Photo

Related Quotes
DJIA
NASDAQ
S&P 500

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

In 2003, Americans ate a record 8.8 billion pounds of cheese. That's two and a half pounds a month for every man, woman and child, according to a survey released Tuesday by the California Milk Advisory Board.

Most of the demand is being fed by domestic suppliers, and California's mega-dairies are growing so fast that analysts expect the state to overtake Wisconsin in cheese production within two years.

California is already the nation's leading milk producer, and with the help of cheese makers like Hilmar Cheese Company — the largest in North America — the state has doubled its cheese production in the last decade.

In 1995, California made 70 varieties of cheese. Now there are 250 types of cheese coming out of the state — 815 million pounds of specialty flavored, rinsed, aged or fresh cheese per year.

The vast majority is commodity cheese, but Americans are also consuming much more specialty cheeses. Blues, sharps, aged varieties and fresh ones have grown five times as fast in the last decade as the cheddars and mozzarellas, the research showed.

One out of every 10 pounds of cheese eaten is a higher-quality, value-added cheese such as artisan or farmstead varieties. Ten years ago, only one in 15 pounds of cheese consumed was specialty.

"People are traveling more, experiencing some of the cheeses in Europe, then looking for those cheeses in the U.S.," said the board's spokeswoman, Nancy Fletcher. "They are more adventuresome."

It's good news for California dairies, said Chuck Ahlem, a third-generation dairyman who had a bright idea back in the 1980s, difficult years for dairy farmers.

Ahlem and 11 other farmers in the fertile Central Valley realized that the area had the world's largest Jersey cow population. By pooling their resources, they could turn some of the high-protein, high-fat milk coming from their brown cows into cheese, a value-added product that would bring in a little extra cash.

When they started the Hilmar Cheese Co. in 1984, the 12 families together brought in 250,000 pounds of milk a day — a drop in a bucket for a company that now processes 10 million pounds of milk a day from more than 270 producers — about 10 percent of all the milk produced in California.

All that milk goes into 450 tons of basic cheeses like Monterey Jack and Cheddar, every single day.

"We were just glad to be in business back then," said Ahlem, who says he was as surprised as anyone by the nation's immense and still-growing appetite for dairy products.

The state's increasing milk production has meant tons of cheese — and profit_ for the once small operation, which has grown an average of 21 percent more each year for the last 19 years, said John Jeter, president and CEO of Hilmar Cheese Co.

"Cows never take a vacation, they don't shut off, they don't take holidays," Jeter said.

Hilmar products also are used in frozen dinners, fast food and baked goods, and whey — the liquid byproduct of cheesemaking — which is used for infant formulas and protein drinks.

"People are eating more pizza, going out to eat more, and the demand for cheese has increased significantly," said Michael Marsh, CEO of Western United Dairymen, whose members produce 60 percent of California's milk.

America's hunger for cheese was dampened a bit when consumers traveled and ate out less following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. Now their appetite is back, which is good for the dairy business, but hard on already expanding waistlines.

Cheese has great nutritious value, and brings calcium back into diets that have substituted milk for sodas. But it also makes food taste better, making it easier to eat too much, said Judith S. Stern, vice president of the American Obesity Association.

"It's terrific that we're eating more cheese, but bottom line, all calories count," said Stern, who also teaches nutrition at the University of California, Davis. She suggests people should "try to eat cheese in slightly different ways, with pears or apple slices — expanding your diet."

___

September 22nd, 2004 04:44 PM
Joey

Kerry: Draft Likely to Return Under Bush

1 hour, 17 minutes ago

By MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer

" WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites), citing the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and other trouble spots in the world, raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elect President Bush (news - web sites).

Kerry said he would not bring back the draft and questioned how fairly it was administered in the past.

Answering a question about the draft that had been posed at a forum with voters, Kerry said: "If George Bush (news - web sites) were to be re-elected, given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea (news - web sites) and Iran and other places, is it possible? I can't tell you."

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other Pentagon (news - web sites) officials have been asked numerous times whether they thought a draft would be necessary to maintain force levels in Iraq. They have said consistently that they think it is neither necessary nor desirable, since today's military is built on volunteer service and professionalism.

His voice scratchy and breaking from a cold, Kerry called the president's proposal to give workers partly private Social Security (news - web sites) accounts a windfall for financial companies and one that will cut benefits for senior citizens.

"He's driving seniors right out of the middle class," Kerry said in a battleground state rich with voters keenly watching the candidates talk about two pillars of retirement, Social Security and Medicare.

"I will never privatize Social Security, ever," Kerry said, repeating promises not to raise the retirement age or cut benefits. "

September 22nd, 2004 05:01 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

Kerry: Draft Likely to Return Under Bush

1 hour, 17 minutes ago

By MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer

" WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites), citing the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and other trouble spots in the world, raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elect President Bush (news - web sites).

Kerry said he would not bring back the draft and questioned how fairly it was administered in the past.

Answering a question about the draft that had been posed at a forum with voters, Kerry said: "If George Bush (news - web sites) were to be re-elected, given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea (news - web sites) and Iran and other places, is it possible? I can't tell you."

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other Pentagon (news - web sites) officials have been asked numerous times whether they thought a draft would be necessary to maintain force levels in Iraq. They have said consistently that they think it is neither necessary nor desirable, since today's military is built on volunteer service and professionalism.

His voice scratchy and breaking from a cold, Kerry called the president's proposal to give workers partly private Social Security (news - web sites) accounts a windfall for financial companies and one that will cut benefits for senior citizens.

"He's driving seniors right out of the middle class," Kerry said in a battleground state rich with voters keenly watching the candidates talk about two pillars of retirement, Social Security and Medicare.

"I will never privatize Social Security, ever," Kerry said, repeating promises not to raise the retirement age or cut benefits. "

what can we do to get Josh to post more?

September 22nd, 2004 06:26 PM
kath and you guys wanted SS to post more!!!!

LOL!!!! be careful what you wish for.

josh, i really cannot muster up any sympathy for your alledged illnesses since you went to the doctor (supposedly) and were told it was inner ear related. of course, you have (supposedly) not followed up with anything. if you feel that strongly that you are really ill, wouldn't it be prudent to go see somebody about it??
as we have discussed before, your kids need you.

as for the lameness of your posts, i really don't think there's a valid argument here. sheer numbers don't make you smart or fun or helpful.

we now return you to the josh 'n' joey show already in progress......
September 22nd, 2004 09:08 PM
not bound to please
quote:
kath wrote:
and you guys wanted SS to post more!!!!

LOL!!!! be careful what you wish for.

josh, i really cannot muster up any sympathy for your alledged illnesses since you went to the doctor (supposedly) and were told it was inner ear related. of course, you have (supposedly) not followed up with anything. if you feel that strongly that you are really ill, wouldn't it be prudent to go see somebody about it??
as we have discussed before, your kids need you.

as for the lameness of your posts, i really don't think there's a valid argument here. sheer numbers don't make you smart or fun or helpful.

we now return you to the josh 'n' joey show already in progress......

Phil Spector Lawyer Expects Murder Indictment

2 hours, 36 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A lawyer for Phil Spector said on Wednesday he has been asked to bring the rock producer to court next week and fears his client has been indicted by a secret grand jury for the 2003 murder of a B-movie actress.

Reuters Photo

"Nobody said to me, 'Your client has been indicted,' but as a former deputy district attorney and a lawyer for 34 years I can't imagine any other reason to be there Monday morning with Phil," attorney Roger Rosen told Reuters.

Prosecutors declined to comment on the Spector case, which stems from the Feb. 3, 2003 shooting death of 40-year-old Lana Clarkson, star of such films as "The Barbarian Queen" and "Amazon Women on the Moon," at his mansion near Los Angeles.

Spector, best-known for his pioneering "Wall of Sound" recording technique and his work with the Beatles, was charged in November of 2003 with Clarkson's murder.

Defense attorneys had been preparing for a preliminary hearing in which prosecutors would have had to show enough evidence against Spector to bind him over for trial.

By taking the unusual step of obtaining an indictment, Rosen said, prosecutors were able to skip that step. He said that was evidence that their case was weak.

"Phil is very disappointed," Rosen said. "He believed that at the time of the preliminary hearing we would have the opportunity to challenge the evidence. He felt strongly that there was a very significant possibility that this case would be thrown out at the prelim, so he's very disappointed that he's lost that chance."

Clarkson, who met Spector while working at the "House of Blues" nightclub on the Sunset Strip, was found dead in the foyer of his 33-room faux castle. An autopsy report found that she had been killed by a single gunshot after the weapon had been placed in her mouth.

Prosecutors say police found blood and gunshot residue on Spector, as well as evidence that he had cleaned and moved the gun after the shooting. They say the reclusive music producer has a history of pointing guns at women.

Spector claimed in an interview with Esquire magazine that the tall, blond actress killed herself in a bizarre suicide that involved kissing the gun. His attorneys say the autopsy report shows that the gunshot was self-inflicted.

September 22nd, 2004 09:13 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx for the spector update nbtp

what's up with lambchop being banned??
September 22nd, 2004 09:26 PM
not bound to please
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
thanx for the spector update nbtp

what's up with lambchop being banned??

Oh - you, if anyone shall get it, and will appreciate this, SIA, - thanks for asking.

Lamby posted a pic of Gustave Courbet's The Origin of the World, circa 1867 or so I think...

He would be proud it's still creating a stir more than 100 years later..

then - the axe fell..

September 22nd, 2004 09:40 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:

Lamby posted a pic of Gustave Courbet's The Origin of the World, circa 1867 or so I think...

well far be it from me to question the wisdom of the adminstrators but (imho)banning's a little extreme given that the painting (which to some may seem a little extreme) is a bona fide work of art- but no more than lambies pic. of the nude gay biker speed freak or whatever the hell that guy was(i'm sure you know what i mean) - even i found that offensive and i'm fairly hard to offend

anyway, glad you've stepped in to fill the breach...
September 22nd, 2004 09:54 PM
not bound to please
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

well far be it from me to question the wisdom of the adminstrators but (imho)banning's a little extreme given that the painting (which to some may seem a little extreme) is a bona fide work of art- but no more than lambies pic. of the nude gay biker speed freak or whatever the hell that guy was(i'm sure you know what i mean) - even i found that offensive and i'm fairly hard to offend

anyway, glad you've stepped in to fill the breach...

if this one ain't okay - then I give up.....

do you like Kenneth Anger's films?

Scorpio Rising is the best film ever made, imho, yes it is..

September 22nd, 2004 10:05 PM
stonedinaustralia unfortunately,scorpio rising is the only one i've seen but i thought it was excellent

i would like to see Invocation of my Demon Brother and Lucifer Rising and now that you've mentioned it I will see if ican track them down - do you know if they are released on VCR?DVD??

I also think "Hollywood Babylon" was great - i'm sort of in love with Jayne Mansfield - having said that I'm always a little leery (leary?) of people who go on about Alistair Crowley too much, - on the other hand "Diary of a Drug Fiend" is a good read -

nice to chat nbtp - biut i probably can't respond anymore for a while - i am at work and the boss gave me heat yestaerday for falling behind budget - so i'd better get on with the daily grind

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
September 22nd, 2004 10:12 PM
BILL PERKS JOSH,IF YOU WERENT JEWISH,YOU'D HAVE NO REDEEMING QUALITIES AT ALL.YOU'RE JUST A NEGATIVE HACK,A POSER,AT LEAST YOUR BUTTMATE IS ORIGINAL.
September 22nd, 2004 10:20 PM
Soldatti Funny thread, is going to hell!!
September 22nd, 2004 11:24 PM
not bound to please
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
unfortunately,scorpio rising is the only one i've seen but i thought it was excellent

i would like to see Invocation of my Demon Brother and Lucifer Rising and now that you've mentioned it I will see if ican track them down - do you know if they are released on VCR?DVD??

I also think "Hollywood Babylon" was great - i'm sort of in love with Jayne Mansfield - having said that I'm always a little leery (leary?) of people who go on about Alistair Crowley too much, - on the other hand "Diary of a Drug Fiend" is a good read -

nice to chat nbtp - biut i probably can't respond anymore for a while - i am at work and the boss gave me heat yestaerday for falling behind budget - so i'd better get on with the daily grind

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

All of Kenneth's work at the point he wished to be released by the end of the century - are available on Mystic Fire VHS, but I think he's blowing them off, and will be releasing a dvd - which seems to be a wait and see sort of thing. Meaning - if you know Kenneth - don't hold your breath, least you die a slow painful death. Invocation is present and worthy, amazing. The current version of Lucifer Rising is not, as are several other versions I've seen. I saw a much better cut earlier, with a far better soundtrack. The soundtrack to Rabbit's Moon is an atrocity compared to the original. The only soundtrack that Kenneth changed for the better is Puce Moment - which is fucking brilliant. Next to Scorpio Rising and Fireworks - his best work.

Kenneth is one of the best filmmakers ever - despite himself.

Oh yeah - Kennteh's latest work as of last year was basically a series of short shots of Crowely paintings. It was sort of interesting to me, but judging by the rest of the crowd - it did not go over well.

here:

Injury May Have Led to Red Baron's Death

Wed Sep 22, 8:04 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By SCOTT CHARTON, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, Mo. - History books say that The Red Baron, the legendary World War I German flying ace, was shot out of the sky and died in April 1918. But new research suggests that his death spiral may have begun nine months earlier.

AP Photo

A University of Missouri at Columbia researcher and his Ohio collaborator argue a severe injury to Manfred von Richthofen's brain during an earlier aerial confrontation figured in his death.

"He was a very reserved character all his life, but he is described as much more immature after the injury, and we have found that is common with this type of brain injury," Missouri's Daniel Orme said Tuesday.

During his final, fatal dogfight, von Richthofen was seen pursuing a fleeing plane across enemy fire in an uncharacteristic display of "target fixation." The pursuit broke Richthofen's own rule to "never obstinately stay with an opponent," said Orme.

Orme collaborated with fellow neuropsychologist Tom Hyatt of Cincinnati for a fresh take on what led to the Red Baron's death on April 21, 1918, when he was shot through the chest and crashed.

They focused on a July 6, 1917, incident in which von Richthofen was flying head-on toward an enemy plane's machine gunner at a distance where he was sure he couldn't be hit. "Suddenly something struck me in the head," he recalled. A bullet creased Richthofen's scalp, leaving a four-inch scar that never completely healed.

After that, von Richthofen, the son of Prussian nobility who would have glowered at a soldier's unbuttoned tunic, began exhibiting odd behavior, such as laying his head on a Berlin restaurant table to publicly display the open head wound to a friend's mother.

His mother, Baroness von Richthofen, wrote that after the injury, "something painful lay 'round the eyes and temples" of her son.

"I found Manfred changed ... the high spirits, the playfulness, were lacking in his character — he was taciturn, almost unapproachable — even his words seemed to come from an unknown distance," she wrote.

After subsequent flights, Richthofen had to lie down to fight off nausea and severe headaches. Richthofen wrote: "I am in wretched spirits after every aerial combat but that is surely one of the consequences of my head wound."

Hyatt was watching a documentary about the Red Baron, and became fascinated with the head injury. "The film clearly showed him in hospital with a large head bandage, and to me, it began explaining his later behavior that led to his death," he said.

Orme and Hyatt began sifting journals, medical records and books about the Red Baron's symptoms in the months before his death. Their findings are to be published this fall in the international journal Human Factors and Aerospace Safety.

For Orme and Hyatt, research on the Red Baron's case fit a shared professional specialty. Both are retired from the Air Force, where their duties included studying whether brain-injured pilots should be allowed back into the air.

"We have evaluated many head-injured patients, and the description of the Red Baron's actions and behavior are just classic for what is called post-concussive syndrome," Orme said.

"In combat, the environment is very austere and the individual has to act quickly and make critical decisions, and he just lost the capacity to incorporate all that data quickly and make solid judgments. He didn't have the mental flexibility to realize he shouldn't pursue that plane."

There is still debate about who fired the shot that fatally pierced Richthofen's chest — an Australian artillery crew on the ground, or a Canadian flier, Roy Brown.

But Orme and Hyatt say the shot fired nine months earlier, by British flier A.E. Wooldridge, set the Red Baron on a fatal course because of the brain injury.

"It was a pretty serious hit," Hyatt said. "As a neuropsychologist, I always get irritated when Hollywood movies depict someone being hit in the head, falling down, then shaking their head and all is fine. That isn't how it works, and the Red Baron's case shows those long-lasting effects."

September 23rd, 2004 01:19 AM
gypsy I'm sorry, SS. I hope things start to look up for you. If I won the lottery, I would hook you up in a minute with your Corvette. I swear. I think you are so nice and generous, and take a lot of time with your CD's, which are always great. Plus, we Leos are known for generosity.
September 23rd, 2004 02:24 AM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
We are down 2 full time people at work. That translates to manditory overtime...to the tune of 64 hour work weeks. Not to mention Hurricane Ivan, which caused massive flooding in my county...hundreds of people were displaced, millions of dollars in damage, and even death. Oh, I'm sorry JB....did you think the hurricanes only affected you???

I have also been to 3 funerals in the past 12 days...one, a dear friend(who also ran the best chinese restaurant in town), another, my aunt's dad, and the 3rd....my grandmother...who had fallen down some steps and broke her neck.

SS...I'm sending hugs.
Catch them when you come up for some air.
September 23rd, 2004 08:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot That's very nice of you ladies. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the gesture.

However, let it be known that I am not really searching for sympathy. It's nice to have it, but that wasn't my point.

My point was...I have a real life. I have priorities. As with most normal people, posting on an internet message board is not very high on my list of prioroties. It is fun, and I like to stop in here whenever I can...but when life happens, life comes first.

I can also tell you this, if I was billing at $100+ per hour, I wouldn't be posting from work! LOL!
September 23rd, 2004 08:28 AM
egon
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
However, let it be known that I am not really searching for sympathy.

No sympathy from my side SS.

However I'll buy you a Heinkeken or 2 anytime!

Hang loose.
[Edited by egon]
September 23rd, 2004 09:32 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Plus, we Leos are known for generosity.

See Paris Hilton
September 23rd, 2004 10:17 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

See Paris Hilton

Whatever happened to Steelie?

September 23rd, 2004 11:09 AM
Joey
quote:

Whatever happened to Steelie?

What they did to my Baby Steelie must NEVER be forgotten !

In fact , it makes young Joey tear up something fierce just thinking about it .

Lamby , remember , you heard it here first : One day school will be closed on My Baby Steel Magnolia's Birthday ! Word !

" No Steelie , No Peace Ronnie ! "

Sturscee Joe !

[Edited by Joey]
September 23rd, 2004 11:22 AM
F505 Who is Baby Steelie and what did they do to him?
September 23rd, 2004 11:31 AM
not bound to please
quote:
F505 wrote:
Who is Baby Steelie and what did they do to him?

it's unspeakable.

What ever happened to Dave Matthews Band's "DNA samples"??????????????
September 23rd, 2004 11:36 AM
littleredrooster What ever happened to Dave Matthews Chicago stool samples????
September 23rd, 2004 11:36 AM
littleredrooster What ever happened to Dave Matthews Chicago stool samples????
September 23rd, 2004 11:37 AM
not bound to please
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
What ever happened to Dave Matthews Chicago stool samples????

yeah!!!!!!!!

September 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM
not bound to please Elton John Calls Taiwan Media 'Rude, Vile Pigs'

Thu Sep 23, 8:10 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

TAIPEI (Reuters) - British rock star Elton John (news), in Taipei for a concert, swore at reporters who swarmed around him at the airport Thursday and called them "rude, vile pigs."

Reuters Photo

Wearing a bright blue tracksuit and dark sunglasses, the star shouted expletives as he was mobbed by photographers and TV crew.

"Rude, vile pigs!" he shouted at the reporters at the Chiang Kai Shek airport after he arrived shortly after midnight.

"Do you know what that means? Rude, vile pigs. That's what all of you are."

One of the photographers shouted back: "Why don't you get out of Taiwan?"

John replied: "We'd love to get out of Taiwan if it's full of people like you. Pig! Pig!"

The star, who recently performed in Shanghai and Hong Kong, is scheduled to leave after his first performance in Taiwan on Thursday.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6