ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN - 6th September 2005
© by and thanks to HurricaneJeanne @ Shidoobeeland!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's new single "Charmed Life" (video) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
1st September 2007 11:21 PM
texile i just clicked on this thread -
haven't clicked on play yet.........
i wanted to read all the comments first-
i am anticipating hilarity on my part.

1st September 2007 11:28 PM
texile lol..........
i was a jolt back to running out of luck.
i remembere when that came out and i prayed - (i really prayed - i cared that much then)that it would never see the light of day.
now, i just laugh.
it isn't so much that it sucks,
its the utter lameness.
1st September 2007 11:35 PM
iluvmickjagger07 he should of ended his solo stuff with old habits die hard. thats my favorite one of his.
1st September 2007 11:38 PM
iluvmickjagger07 its ok everyone.. mick always redeems himself with a new stones album or tour
2nd September 2007 12:22 AM
sammy davis jr. He points all the fucking time-even in the studio.
2nd September 2007 12:44 AM
The Wick This is the type of thing that typifies Mick's solo stuff. A great riff destroyed by an attempt to sound cutting edge and ending up sounding like a wanker. And with all of his solo stuff and even the Stones stuff after Undercover, the production is embarrassing. The sort of rap type thing he does is Primitive Cool all over again. This song could have been a fantastic Emotional Rescue or She's So Cold type of thing if he had bothered to put some heart into it. Sweet Thing is how a dance type track should be done. This is in the words of Keith another wimpy production effort. I think there is something to say about this just being Mick but at the same time, when you think this is the guy who came up with songs like Party Doll (if produced properly would have been as good as any Stones classic), you just have to hang your head.
[Edited by The Wick]
2nd September 2007 12:44 AM
the good Its amazing how Mick thinks nothing of using other famous people as props.
2nd September 2007 12:48 AM
The Wick One thing about using his fame. As far as that goes, Mick is not the whore that people make out. He's had his moments, but compared to others like that granny Sting and McCartney, he's not the commercial sell out people make out. He's a slave to trends sometimes, to his detriment, but if he really wanted to be a commercial sell out, he could have been like Stink. Keith is far worse sometimes in terms of selling out. He loves the attention as much as Mick, if not more sometimes.
2nd September 2007 06:18 AM
gotdablouse Good point, he doesn't even do it properly, just some afterthought, oh let's have Bono sing on Joy...

I'll have to listen to it again but I'm surprised that some are finding it to be a "great riff", it's just a couple of standard chords. "Honest Man" has a much better riff/pattern I'd say, that would have been a much better choice...maybe he didn't want to use a Jagger/Richards song (probably was copyrighted at the time like "Lonely at the Top" was for STB) on his "Best of"...
2nd September 2007 06:45 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Two years

wich one did go # 1?
2nd September 2007 06:55 AM
gotdablouse See above, SOL in Italy.

As much as SOL was trashed it at least had a memorable hook and some "yapping", that someone compared to Franky Valli's ? (sp?)
2nd September 2007 07:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh man, this is bad

Is there anything else to add?
2nd September 2007 08:44 AM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
The Wick wrote:
This is the type of thing that typifies Mick's solo stuff. A great riff destroyed by an attempt to sound cutting edge and ending up sounding like a wanker. And with all of his solo stuff and even the Stones stuff after Undercover, the production is embarrassing. The sort of rap type thing he does is Primitive Cool all over again. This song could have been a fantastic Emotional Rescue or She's So Cold type of thing if he had bothered to put some heart into it. Sweet Thing is how a dance type track should be done. This is in the words of Keith another wimpy production effort. I think there is something to say about this just being Mick but at the same time, when you think this is the guy who came up with songs like Party Doll (if produced properly would have been as good as any Stones classic), you just have to hang your head.
[Edited by The Wick]

In all fairness to Mick, he's searching for something new. You can be second rate by repeating yourself or you can be second rate by striving for a new form. Mick wants to do something new. It's like the novelist who writes basicaly the same novel over and over again except that the names of the characters are changed. Mick doesn't want to do that. But he hasn't found that new form that works yet.

2nd September 2007 09:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

In all fairness to Mick, he's searching for something new. You can be second rate by repeating yourself or you can be second rate by striving for a new form. Mick wants to do something new. It's like the novelist who writes basicaly the same novel over and over again except that the names of the characters are changed. Mick doesn't want to do that. But he hasn't found that new form that works yet.

I both agree and disagree with you. Yes, I am fully in support of Jagger striving to achieve and enter new territories, yet, the track I have just heard on Youtube is an absolute shocker. There is nothing artistic, groundbreaking or even remotely different about it. It’s just a regular dance beat going over and over again, with shit lyrics added on.

The creative and interesting Jagger is the one who got the Stones to record such interesting things as Anybody Seen My Baby? and even more recently, Rain Fall Down.

Charmed Life is just 3rd rate bollocks by someone intelligent enough, creative enough and with enough mileage on the clock to know a hell of a lot better.

2nd September 2007 09:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
My god,

As I said before A Bigger Bang was not a Mick Jagger solo record as many thought it was in the end.

This is proof. This song is stupid and I actually have to say it is a peice of crap.

Classic. Mick's decision to use a 15 year old 'Wandering Spirit' reject as a filler on his 'best of' album is 'proof' that Keith isnt washed up as a songwriter and that he co wrote much of 'A Bigger Bang'.
2nd September 2007 09:26 AM
charlotte strange that Mick likes to be reflective of his past solo efforts. clearly fantasizing over his stellar solo career! but when it comes to the band he takes offense, denies past greatness, doesn't even want to listen to Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, etc.

Mick, do you take us for fucking fools???
2nd September 2007 09:29 AM
charlotte
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Classic. Mick's decision to use a 15 year old 'Wandering Spirit' reject as a filler on his 'best of' album is 'proof' that Keith isnt washed up as a songwriter and that he co wrote much of 'A Bigger Bang'.

Spot on my friend..spot on...
2nd September 2007 10:26 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
The Wick wrote:
As far as that goes, Mick is not the whore that people make out.

This is not true! Next thing, you're going to tell me that Santa Claus never really existed!!
2nd September 2007 10:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
charlotte wrote:
strange that Mick likes to be reflective of his past solo efforts. clearly fantasizing over his stellar solo career! but when it comes to the band he takes offense, denies past greatness, doesn't even want to listen to Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, etc.

Also spot on....!
2nd September 2007 10:43 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
Gazza wrote:

This is to Mick Jagger what 'Clambake' was to Elvis. A shocking waste of talent that makes you scream 'why are you doing this?' in frustration.

Seriously, this is instantly forgettable shite and you can't just admit it.

If it was by anyone else, they would have struggled to have found a record label to indulge them enough to release it. I like Mick's solo stuff more than some people do, but this harks back to that slop he was dishing out in the mid 80s, and it even has that horrid barking vocal style from that era as well.

Interesting video in that almost all the clips are from 'Being Mick' (which was 6 years ago) or earlier, but no Stones references in sight that I can see. It's as if he's trying to convince that his Stones career is in some kind of separate universe.

Yeah it did sound very much like mid 80s Mick, what with the production and Mick's annoying barking he did during that period, this song is a disaster of epic proportions. The riff sounds like he lifted another from INXS, I'd consider it a cousin to the LWTCDI off ABB.

This not a new song it sounds like something they grabbed from way in the back of the vaults, polished it up with some 21st century production flourishes to make it sound new. Mick is so desperate for a hit, to be what he thinks is current, yet time and again he fails miserably. It's sad really and completely unnecessary.

This piece of crap has to pre-date WS too. After watching the video, it looks the trailer to some future announcement of Being Mick coming out on DVD, complete with never before seen footage!

"Brenda" Jagger even makes an appearance about 3 min in.
[Edited by aladdinstory]
[Edited by aladdinstory]
2nd September 2007 10:49 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

That's true. And it had atmosphere, but it could have been recorded by any decent Disco band (which was my point). But you're right.

On second thought, listening to the vid again: it isn't catchy. It's hookless and supported by beats and falsettos. Well...
[Edited by MrPleasant]

the instrumental version of Dance is quite good. Very guitar driven, a gritty piece of disco-funk, without all those extra sounds they added to the ER version.
2nd September 2007 11:06 AM
Col It's ok, no need to panic. Someones been confused. This is the new Mika video!
2nd September 2007 11:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

the instrumental version of Dance is quite good. Very guitar driven, a gritty piece of disco-funk, without all those extra sounds they added to the ER version.

'Dance' is a fine song. However, 'If I Was a Dancer' (Dance Pt.2) is superb. Ronnie had a big hand in writing it, too, didnt he?
2nd September 2007 11:20 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'Dance' is a fine song. However, 'If I Was a Dancer' (Dance Pt.2) is superb. Ronnie had a big hand in writing it, too, didnt he?

yes I think it was first Stones song Ronnie received a writing credit for, so he must've had a huge role in the song to be the first to share credits with the firm of Jagger/Richards.
[Edited by aladdinstory]
2nd September 2007 11:55 AM
Gazza 'Everything is Turning to gold' would have been the first (US B-side to 'Shattered' in late 1978 - also a friggin brilliant song IMO) but 'Dance' would have been the first to have got an album release

2nd September 2007 12:01 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

and completely unnecessary.

2nd September 2007 12:20 PM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
generally speaking i get the idea of the song, but does anybody out there have the lyrics?

the lyrics as far as I can tell:

livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
2nd September 2007 12:24 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:

livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life
livin the charmed life

I just came!
2nd September 2007 12:27 PM
Bloozehound GGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
2nd September 2007 12:29 PM
BONOISLOVE My 48 letter favorite word
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)