ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN - 6th September 2005
© by and thanks to HurricaneJeanne @ Shidoobeeland!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's new single "Charmed Life" (video) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
4th September 2007 12:45 AM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
oldkr wrote:
with a decent remix the clubbers will dance to it , like the excellent remix of rain fall down. before you all spit feathers - it was a good day when pete tong played the stones on radio 1, and i bet they had to knock the dust off their bio file for him!

OLDKR

Not even a month old and already remixing. Must came out the box needing mixing.

sophomoric.
4th September 2007 06:17 AM
gotdablouse CL has nothing on RFD that is indeed an excellent song and deserved the raving intro on Radio One, not that it helped its career much though.

I dug up two remixes of RFD :
- Ashley Beedle´s 'HD' Dub reedit
- will.i.amremix)J015

The first one has some nice "Staying Alive" strings !
[Edited by gotdablouse]
4th September 2007 07:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:
with a decent remix the clubbers will dance to it , like the excellent remix of rain fall down. before you all spit feathers - it was a good day when pete tong played the stones on radio 1, and i bet they had to knock the dust off their bio file for him!

OLDKR

Being of a certain 'vintage', going to places where I'd be a 'clubber' isnt really my thing, so maybe you or someone else could answer something that's intrigued me.

For the last 20 years or more, the Stones have allowed various producers or mixers loose on many of their singles and in some cases theyve made them almost unrecognisable.

Does this kind of stuff REALLY get played in clubs? I dont necessarily mean the 'Rain fall down', 'I Go Wild' 'Dont stop' remixes which at least stay reasonable close to the originals (and which I agree are pretty good), but rather the sort of radical remixes of stuff like 'You got me rocking', etc where you'd barely know it had been a Stones song to begin with.

I'm just curious as to who buys this stuff as I've always got the impression most Stones fans seem to think they're terrible.
4th September 2007 09:33 AM
Torn and Frayed http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hU8k_c2YlG4
4th September 2007 09:43 AM
The jinn, my friend.
4th September 2007 10:01 AM
gotdablouse Well I guess that answers this good question, pretty scary though, is that the b-side to CL ? ;-)
4th September 2007 10:52 AM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Well I guess that answers this good question, pretty scary though, is that the b-side to CL ? ;-)

Scary... Hmmm.. I am not sure. I thought the video funny at 0.26 the co2 looks like a huge hand flipping the bird. I cannot club because co2 shuts down my lungs even walking through drops me for a bit.

I would not endorse working with Jag. Given his business style. Website, downloads, treatment of fans and associates.

If you would like to see the way the King of Pop rocks check out www.mjtunes.com

Sometimes I wonder if someone at Jag's label has it in for him. However, given his business behavior patterns I can comfortably say disingenuous would be the hallmark of his corps.

4th September 2007 11:19 AM
pdog Jagger solo flat out sucks balls...
4th September 2007 03:49 PM
glencar Said the man of no discernment!
4th September 2007 05:03 PM
gotdablouse Can this be the same man who played Party Doll on an acoustic guitar on French TV ?...

4th September 2007 06:30 PM
Saint Sway that "Charmed Life" SUCKS

that made me puke. PUTRID!

nothing rock and roll about it

not a drop of R&R to it

everything SUCKS about it

the song SUCKS

the video SUCKS

Mick SUCKS

the lyrics SUCK

the footage SUCKS

it SUCK SUCK SUCKS!!!!!!!

I feel nautious having watched 30 seconds of it.

I am left with bile in my mouth

fortunately, this right here is the antithesis of Mick's "Charmed Life"... the antidote to "Charmed Life"... the remedy...

L&G...
Words You Throwaway
4th September 2007 06:42 PM
fireontheplatter he is such a burnt out druggie

if you feel like a riot don't you deny it?
such smack
4th September 2007 07:01 PM
Throwaway
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Can this be the same man who played Party Doll on an acoustic guitar on French TV ?...

holy SHIT that is beyond a Joey mullet!!
4th September 2007 07:22 PM
oldkr
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm just curious as to who buys this stuff as I've always got the impression most Stones fans seem to think they're terrible.

well thats the the point here. Micks solo effort isnt aimed at stonesfans its aimed at clubbers. This song has already had massive play in the clubs and is doing really well in a few remixed forms. Sympathy also did really well, with the many club remixes getting heavy play.

Does it matter that its a mick song? in this context no. Does it matter that charmed life has mick on vocals? the star in clubland is the DJ not the vocalist.

If keith made an album where he conducted an orchestra, or charlie made some real jazz, I dont think either of them would expect the same people who attend a stones concert to buy the cd in large numbers.

I'm not one of those people who can listen to dance music on a sunday morning - thats why god gave us Mozart, but in the right setting and in the hands of the right DJ (as has already been proved) this song is a hit.

edit: why does mick keep shouting cham lay? LOL

OLDKR
[Edited by oldkr]
4th September 2007 07:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:

well thats the the point here. Micks solo effort isnt aimed at stonesfans its aimed at clubbers. This song has already had massive play in the clubs and is doing really well in a few remixed forms.

I realise that Mick's aiming at a different market, but what I was specifically referring to were the club mixes of Stones songs theyve released over the years ('Sympathy' aside, which was a hit in its own right).

Do/did they actually play those mixes of 'You Got Me Rocking' or 'Saint of Me' in clubs for example? Do the sort of people who go to these places actually like that stuff?
4th September 2007 07:38 PM
oldkr probably, if the right dj is spinning them. I was 10 and 14 when they were released so I wasn't in the clubs quite then, I didnt hear them in 99 when I started going tho- if that helps!

OLDKR
4th September 2007 07:45 PM
gotdablouse "This song has already had massive play in the clubs and is doing really well in a few remixed forms"

What song, CL ? Looks like I've missed something here, is there more than the YouTube video at this point ?
4th September 2007 07:53 PM
texile i just bought a sade compilation saturday and i remember jagger being very fond of her music.
i think that was always the problem:
jagger tends to mimic popular artists he admires - and in the 80s, it was prince, sade etc...as if it were a formula to being current and 'hip', but it always failed -
because he's NOT those artists, it worked for them because they were original even in their polished way - and jagger ends up coming off as phony and forced and embarassing.

4th September 2007 08:05 PM
glencar I remember hearing the club version of "You Got Me Snoring" one morning whilst driving to work. It was recognizable but I was not a fan of any version.
4th September 2007 08:13 PM
The jinn, my friend. www.youtube.com
[/quote]

[/quote]

4th September 2007 09:28 PM
Poplar
the most masturbatory thing i've ever seen.
4th September 2007 09:59 PM
Lavendar Lenny Kravitz
4th September 2007 10:40 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I realise that Mick's aiming at a different market, but what I was specifically referring to were the club mixes of Stones songs theyve released over the years ('Sympathy' aside, which was a hit in its own right).

Do/did they actually play those mixes of 'You Got Me Rocking' or 'Saint of Me' in clubs for example? Do the sort of people who go to these places actually like that stuff?

The answer is fucking NO and NO. Hey, Im almost 40 -kinda past the hevay clubbing days (unless, of course, I was Mick Jagger), but I work in the tv business here and my worplace includes Canada's MTV and it's own Muchmusic. Needless to say, my workplace is populated with hip twentysomethings who do nothing but go clubbing and know their shit. Most of them sideline as DJ's as well at some of the more happening scenes. I've gone once or twice to see what the kids are up to. The Miss You 12" is still a big floorfiller on old school/disco nights as is Dance Pt.s 1 & 2 and Emotional Rescue. But that's the extent of it. The KIds actually thought the beat and guitar of Rain Fall Down was kind of cool but only for a second. (I'm always trying to lay Stones on them), You know what I've seen go over well at clubs that play disco/house/old school/etc.? Monkey Man. IF they did a Sympathy style remix of that it would be huge.

Back to Charmed life, while the loop was kinda cool for about ten seconds the song sucks Halen balls.

If Mick wants to do bling and steal from the black artists like the old days, then christ do it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S1fUyW6riE&mode=related&search=
[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
5th September 2007 08:21 PM
gorda Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Micky! Micky! Micky!

You know I love you, but baby, you have got to stop surrounding yourself with "yes people"!

This song . . . how should I say this?

I don't want to be rude, so I won't say anything at all.

P.S. As for the video, I liked that he included his family and all the special events in his life. Especially, the day he was knighted and his father was in attendance, as was his daughters Karis and Elizabeth. And, dancing in the Caribbean with Jade, that was nice too.

But, the clip of him dressed as a woman, disturbed me! (Was that from Running Out Of Luck?)

Also, another clip that disturbed me was when he hugs Ronnie Wood from behind! WTF?

P.S.S. And, why isn't L'Wren in the video? If I was L'Wren, I would be pissed! Why if she is his faithful girlfriend of 5 years? Why doesn't he show her off? Why wasn't she included in the video?

Furthermore, only super fans will be able to follow the video, the video is TOO BUSY and CONFUSING for the average viewer.
5th September 2007 08:30 PM
gorda
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Can this be the same man who played Party Doll on an acoustic guitar on French TV ?...

How sad. I used to be able to understand French, but that guy talking at the end, is talking so fast, I do not understand! Damn! I think I can still read though.

P.S. Micky's solo performances are special and romantic sometimes.
5th September 2007 09:09 PM
Poison Dart Luckily, nobody will hear this song.
5th September 2007 09:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
that "Charmed Life" SUCKS

that made me puke. PUTRID!

nothing rock and roll about it

not a drop of R&R to it

everything SUCKS about it

the song SUCKS

the video SUCKS

Mick SUCKS

the lyrics SUCK

the footage SUCKS

it SUCK SUCK SUCKS!!!!!!!

I feel nautious having watched 30 seconds of it.

I am left with bile in my mouth

fortunately, this right here is the antithesis of Mick's "Charmed Life"... the antidote to "Charmed Life"... the remedy...

L&G...
Words You Throwaway

Check out this 17-year, Letterman-to-Letterman arc.

1990 (and evidently under Paul Schaefer's supervision:

to

2007:

5th September 2007 11:35 PM
andrews27 Who the fuck ever bought a Lenny Kravitz record? What was his fanbase? Nicole Richie?
6th September 2007 12:26 AM
glencar IU know people who thought Kravitz was great. A real rocker. They also dig Bon Jovi. Still!
6th September 2007 04:07 PM
glencar The Charmed Life video has been pulled from youtube!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)