ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who 9.12 Setlist (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
13th September 2006 12:36 AM
Left Shoe Shuffle Opening night in Philly - lots of Wire & Glass:
I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Baba O'Riley
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Unholy Trinity
Endless Wire
We Got A Hit
Dream Come True
Mirror Door
Relay
You Better You Bet
Who Are You
Man In A Purple Dress
Black Widows Eyes
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
Substitute
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening To You
Tea And Theatre
(From The Squeezebox @ whotour.com)

And a review.
13th September 2006 12:40 AM
Poplar 27 songs, and a NEW mini-opera. as a Stones fan, let me be the first to say "ouch."
[Edited by Poplar]
13th September 2006 01:05 AM
GimmeExile Nothing from Quadrophenia?!?
13th September 2006 01:29 AM
mojoman
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Nothing from Quadrophenia?!?

nope. they played for a solid two hours. the new mini-opera was good.
13th September 2006 01:33 AM
Dan
quote:
Poplar wrote:
27 songs, and

This

See Me Feel Me
Listening To You

is only a third of a song. Elvis did better medleys.
13th September 2006 01:55 AM
JOHNNYSTONED boy i just got back from the who show and certain parts were just unbelievable. when townshend gets in a groove
he is almost untouchable in intensity. amazing guitar work.
jagger still has daltrey beat though.
13th September 2006 04:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:
27 songs, and a NEW mini-opera. as a Stones fan, let me be the first to say "ouch."

"Paging Mr Townshend. A Mr Jagger is on the line. He's asking if you would kindly return his balls. Thank you."
13th September 2006 06:15 AM
glencar Well, thanks for posting that list. Now I know when to take a piss!
13th September 2006 09:27 AM
justinkurian Teenage Wasteland?

The Who launch tour with classic-laden show

By Jon Hurdle
Wed Sep 13, 4:05 AM ET

The Who kicked off the U.S. leg of their first world tour for more than 20 years on Tuesday with a two-hour set that included a full complement of classic hits, a smattering of new material, and some rough edges.

The legendary British rock band which came to prominence in the early 1960s with songs about youthful rebellion and alienation has only two of its original members -- singer Roger Daltrey and guitarist and songwriter Pete Townshend.

Two other members of the original band -- drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle -- died in drug-related incidents.

The gray-bearded Townshend, 61, periodically pumped up the capacity crowd at South Philadelphia's Wachovia Center with his classic arm-twirling power-chord style while Daltrey, 62, looking younger in jeans and a plain blue T-shirt, belted out the lyrics of The Who's extensive back catalog.

The band, also consisting of Townshend's brother Simon on guitar, Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey on drums, Pino Palladino on bass and John Bundrick on keyboards -- fluently delivered many crowd-pleasing anthems including "Won't Get Fooled Again," "My Generation," "Teenage Wasteland" and "Behind Blue Eyes."

But they were less confident playing material from the forthcoming "Endless Wire" album, their first since 1982. They were clearly unhappy with a seven-song "mini-opera" from the album, and apologized several times for what they saw as less-than-perfect renditions of that and other new songs.

"Thank you for putting up with it. I know it's tough to hear new music," Townshend told the crowd.

The new material, such as the Dylanesque "Man in a Purple Dress" suggested a departure from the classic Who style and the concert featured two duets with just Townshend and Daltrey, providing a contrast to the high-volume rock that some critics see as a precursor to the punk rock of the late 1970s.

Despite forays into the 21st century, The Who seemed firmly rooted in the 1960s, an impression strengthened by nostalgic black-and-white videos of 1960s memorabilia and rock icons including Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley.

The band's focus on their classic songs seemed to please the crowd, some of whom came to relive their college days. Bob Paul, 51, a lawyer, said he had first seen The Who in 1973 when he was a freshman in college, and stayed up all night to get tickets.

Steve Toole, a 37-year-old marketing executive who had driven from Washington, D.C., for the evening, said his mother had listened to The Who's rock opera "Tommy" when he was in utero in 1969. He had brought her, now aged 70, to hear her first-ever rock concert.

"Their music just speaks to me," he said. "It's music about 'Who am I?', and I was asking myself the same question," he said.
13th September 2006 09:30 AM
Joey
quote:
JOHNNYSTONED wrote:
boy i just got back from the who show and certain parts were just unbelievable. when townshend gets in a groove
he is almost untouchable in intensity. amazing guitar work.
jagger still has daltrey beat though.

You make Joey giddy .......

..... and EXCITED !!!!
13th September 2006 10:03 AM
nankerphelge Joey?

13th September 2006 10:30 AM
Riffhard Joey?

Riffy
13th September 2006 10:31 AM
nankerphelge That is just too fucking funny!!
13th September 2006 11:09 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Paging Mr Townshend. A Mr Jagger is on the line. He's asking if you would kindly return his balls. Thank you."

what was Mick's pretentious quote in Rolling Stone about how he cant wait to drop new songs on an unsuspecting crowd? Someting along the lines of "you want Brown Sugar? Well check out this new fucking song" or something like that
13th September 2006 11:18 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Oustanding Postin'

Shannon will fix you a very special pour this Friday Evening at the Brazen Head -- see ya about 9:30ish.

www.BrazenHeadPub.com

Kins .
13th September 2006 11:21 AM
Saint Sway you certainly live an exciting life Joey
13th September 2006 11:24 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Unholy Trinity

<---------- Glad they did it, and dedicated to us
13th September 2006 11:24 AM
Some Guy Wasn't there talk of the Who and the Stones playing together, Mick better bust out his A game.
13th September 2006 11:29 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Poplar wrote:
27 songs, and a NEW mini-opera. as a Stones fan, let me be the first to say "ouch."
[Edited by Poplar]

No kidding. I'm not the hugest WHO fan, but with that set list, and the reasonable prices, I think they've out done the stones on this one, at least in terms of fan appreciation.
13th September 2006 11:44 AM
Saint Sway They are doing what the Stones SHOULD be doing. Good for them!!!
Long Live The Who!!! (or whatevers left of them)

I have procrastinated long enough and am now finally seein my 1st Who show on monday at MSG

cue up: "Lethargy, Lethargy, it was a second name..."
13th September 2006 11:45 AM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
you certainly live an exciting life Joey

That's right .

[kins]

[Edited by Joey]
13th September 2006 11:49 AM
sirmoonie Seen a lot of shows, nothing has ever come close to the Who - even in their reduced numbers. Pete Thownshend plays amazing crushing guitar for hours.
13th September 2006 12:54 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Seen a lot of shows, nothing has ever come close to the Who - even in their reduced numbers. Pete Thownshend plays amazing crushing guitar for hours.

I would like to nibble your elbows
13th September 2006 01:40 PM
Bitch I decided at the last minute to jump in the car and go to the opening NA leg of the tour, and THE WHO in Philly last night was UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!!!!!! The Townsend/Daltry duo are every bit as powerful as the Jagger/Richards pair IMO. Even better, because 2 times they did a duet with just the 2 of them, and it was awesome. Imagine just MICK & KEEF doing 2 numbers just with each other, it would be so outrageous. WHAT I WANT TO SAY HERE IS EVERYONE WHO READS THIS SHOULD DEF GO TO SEE THE WHO! Tickets were available outside, I paid $50 for a $100 ticket, and I could have paid $20 for a nosebleed but it was easy to get a decent seat.

I'll post a full review later.....but it was every bit as good as any Stones show I've seen on ABB, The Who put on the same calliber of show, it's top notch A+.

13th September 2006 02:08 PM
justinkurian 13.09.06 First fanfare from Philly

Bill Campbell was there and delivered the very first report of the tour

After the first five songs, I turned to my friend and said "they're playing it safe", which disappointed me. However, things took a VERY dramatic change, when Wire & Glass was performed. I feared it wouldn't be in the setlist yet, but was quite pleased it was featured. It sounded excellent, and though both Pete and Roger missed some vocal cues, the overall piece has enormous strength and potential live. A solid Relay was next, followed by a unique You Better You Bet; unique in that the band had to stop after about thirty seconds and restart the backing track to begin the song again (seems someone missed the cues for when to come in over the backing track.)

Three big surprises in a row were next, beginning with Man In A Purple Dress. This was performed as a duo, with Pete on acoustic guitar. Roger gave this one of his most impressive vocal performances of the night, delivering the words, and overall sentiment, with power and strength. Though rather sparse musically, this was a really great piece, which the crowd seemed to likewise enjoy. I absolutely loved it. Up next was Black Widow Eyes, which the whole band played on. Again Pete was on acoustic, and interestingly enough, Rabbit sang backup on this song.

Black Widow Eyes was another solid number, and should be a treat to hear on the record. Fragments was next, and was the only new piece (apart from W&G) to get an introduction before it was played. This is a great electric song, with yet another exquisite Townshend backing track providing the pulse for continued electronic wizardry in 2006. The visuals provided were mostly ocean scenes taken from the 1996-97 Quadrophenia tour. My Generation was next, and was a very unique version. After the 'proper' song ended, and the usual jam began, Roger started singing the verses of Cry If You Want. This seemed to be completely impromptu, based mostly upon the reaction of Pete, who seemed very surprised (and impressed!) that Roger was taking the jam off in such a unique direction. Cry was one song I really wanted to hear, and in a way, I suppose I did! (The music never changed from the usual MG jam while Roger sang Cry If You Want.)

As usual, terrific performances of WGFA and Sparks were executed (with windmills and birdmen galore!), before See Me Feel Me seemed to signal the end of the show. However, much to my surprise, Pete grabbed an acoustic guitar, and everyone left the stage except for Roger. Together, they ended the show with the closing track of the new album, Tea & Theatre. This was absolutely gorgeous, and nearly had me in tears. It was so beautiful, and so inspiring to see them play this unknown song with such conviction, and furthermore, to end the show in this fashion. It was absolutely unexpected, yet PERFECT!

The stage production was quite unique for a Who show. Five movable screens were utilized throughout, with the ability to join together to create one large image/video. Additionally, a sixth screen (large rectangular) was above the stage, and often featured visuals different to what the other five offered. Such production enhanced both the old and new songs, and really seemed to signify that this is indeed NOT a 'typical' Who tour.

We were treated to no less than FIVE world premiere performances this evening. I would've never guessed the band would be so adventurous with its setlist. AND...this is without Mike Post Theme being one of the new songs performed. I am so proud of the band for having the courage to play so much new material, and for being visibly proud of the new music they have to offer. I hope they keep their courageous musical visions for this tour intact. I feel privileged to have witnessed the live birthing of so many new, and more importantly, GREAT songs!

Review courtesy of Bill Campbell, and thanks to LongLiveRock.org
13th September 2006 02:19 PM
jb
quote:
Bitch wrote:
I decided at the last minute to jump in the car and go to the opening NA leg of the tour, and THE WHO in Philly last night was UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!!!!!! The Townsend/Daltry duo are every bit as powerful as the Jagger/Richards pair IMO. Even better, because 2 times they did a duet with just the 2 of them, and it was awesome. Imagine just MICK & KEEF doing 2 numbers just with each other, it would be so outrageous. WHAT I WANT TO SAY HERE IS EVERYONE WHO READS THIS SHOULD DEF GO TO SEE THE WHO! Tickets were available outside, I paid $50 for a $100 ticket, and I could have paid $20 for a nosebleed but it was easy to get a decent seat.

I'll post a full review later.....but it was every bit as good as any Stones show I've seen on ABB, The Who put on the same calliber of show, it's top notch A+.

Who will never be better than the Stones
13th September 2006 02:22 PM
glencar I'm seeing them in 6 or 7 hours. I hope this Wire In The Blood stuff is kept to a minimum!
13th September 2006 02:32 PM
Bitch
quote:
jb wrote:

Who will never be better than the Stones

I didn't mean The Who is better, but every bit as good. The part that was better was the duet, because MICK & KEEF don't do a duet together.
[Edited by Bitch]
13th September 2006 02:34 PM
glencar I'll ahve a report from tonight's concert tomorrow. I am an ultimate Stones fan & not really a Who-lover. I am, however, susceptible to crowd feelings.
13th September 2006 02:35 PM
jb
quote:
Bitch wrote:

I never said better, but every bit as good.

I like the Who, but I love the Stones. I do not believe any band, including the Who, are as good as the Stones. While I enjoy their concerts, nothing compares to seeing Mick, Keith and Charlie hitting the stage. They have a aura, a legacy, a feeling uncommon than any other performers...but I am happy you enjoyed the Who so much.
[Edited by jb]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)