ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 22nd August - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
23rd August 2006 03:01 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Dont even think about it! Its bad enough being texted in the middle of a show I'm trying to enjoy saying you cant see a setlist on the board thats already there without having to get phone calls as well!!

Point taken. Will not bother you anymore.
23rd August 2006 03:03 PM
jb
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I can't imagine why any show in England would not sell out...regardless of the day of the week...this is odd to me..are ticket prices that high?

Atleast it wasn't as bad as reported...sales for NA show Boston and NJ at 70%, Chicago 50%, Witchita at only 20%, and others doing average.
23rd August 2006 03:03 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Atleast it wasn't as bad as reported...sales for NA show Boston and NJ at 70%, Chicago 50%, Witchita at only 20%, and others doing average.

Where in the fuck do you get these numbers?
23rd August 2006 03:07 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Where in the fuck do you get these numbers?

Hello Pam...a reliable a very accurate source has Chicago doing very poorly as of now.
23rd August 2006 03:08 PM
luxury1 Gazza is sounding crabby to me. Maybe he is in need of a nap...

Did you enjoy both shows equally?
23rd August 2006 03:09 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Gazza is sounding crabby to me. Maybe he is in need of a nap...

He does indeed.
23rd August 2006 03:10 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Hello Pam...a reliable a very accurate source has Chicago doing very poorly as of now.

Hello sweetheart...your source blows sand up their ass as well.
23rd August 2006 03:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:

Point taken. Will not bother you anymore.

Sorry. I couldnt resist it.
23rd August 2006 03:13 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Hello sweetheart...your source blows sand up their ass as well.

I am sorry my friend...Chicago is selling extremely weak . This should in no way diminish the "Summitt" you all have planned as the itinerary looked really great. Ihope the place fills up a bit more before showtime. Have they announced an opener? I imagine you will get a last minute surge and get around 35-42k.
23rd August 2006 03:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
19 songs is an insult to fans who have paid hundreds, even 1k's for tickets....

yet when they played 20, presumably it was OK because you never commented on it? LOL
23rd August 2006 03:16 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Sorry. I couldnt resist it.

LOL, no prob.
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

yet when they played 20, presumably it was OK because you never commented on it? LOL

I like this "no quarter" Gazza
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Hey Gazza...our buddy jb is a stitch, no?

23rd August 2006 03:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Gazza is sounding crabby to me. Maybe he is in need of a nap...

Thank you Luxy. I enjoyed Sunday slightly better because I thought the performance was slightly better (although Id no complaints with last nights) and the sound was superior - even though we were off to the side (A1, ROW 4) on 1st night and in the centre (A3, row 5) last night.

Interesting song choices last night and getting 7 different songs was welcome. One encore and only two ABB songs being played was a bit underwhelming however, but like I said, no complaints about the performance - they sounded in good form and I'm happy to report that the much-maligned Mr Wood played great both nights.
23rd August 2006 03:20 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
I am sorry my friend...Chicago is selling extremely weak . This should in no way diminish the "Summitt" you all have planned as the itinerary looked really great. Ihope the place fills up a bit more before showtime. Have they announced an opener? I imagine you will get a last minute surge and get around 35-42k.

No need to apologize. I will forward you a picture, as I did from the UC in January, whereas one needed a fricken crowbar to manuver through the place.

Can you say, "P-A-C-K-E-D H-O-U-S-E"?

And no, I have no idea who the opener might be.
23rd August 2006 03:21 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

20 is standard..19 is really unacceptable ...shorter set lists and higher prices are not fair for the good folks out there.
23rd August 2006 03:23 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:

No need to apologize. I will forward you a picture, as I did from the UC in January, whereas one needed a fricken crowbar to manuver through the place.

Can you say, "P-A-C-K-E-D H-O-U-S-E"?

And no, I have no idea who the opener might be.

Thanks again and have a really fun time with all the great people you have met from the various boards. It sounds like an event not to miss. I really was hping Chicago would sell better so I could attend, but I am not ruining my 44thbirthday in the bowels of a wide open Soldiers field. This was an ill advised move to play a stadium when some of the arena venues had a tough time selling out last year.
23rd August 2006 03:31 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks again and have a really fun time with all the great people you have met from the various boards. It sounds like an event not to miss. I really was hping Chicago would sell better so I could attend, but I am not ruining my 44thbirthday in the bowels of a wide open Soldiers field. This was an ill advised move to play a stadium when some of the arena venues had a tough time selling out last year.

Thank you, Josh.

...just remember what I told you about your birthday
23rd August 2006 03:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

20 is standard..19 is really unacceptable ...shorter set lists and higher prices are not fair for the good folks out there.

There are lots of things that are more unacceptable than going below 20 songs (and incidentally, 19 was the norm on the last European tour). If the ticket prices were a third of what they were, I wouldnt care if they only played 15 songs or so.
23rd August 2006 03:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Hey Gazza...our buddy jb is a stitch, no?

Pam. I just realised something on Sunday night. I have been at 6 Stones shows this year, and going by the photos Ive seen of the fan gatherings at each one, I have worn that "Checkerboard Lounge" t-shirt you sent me at three of them - and they have played "Sway" each time I've worn it....
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd August 2006 04:35 PM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Pam. I just realised something on Sunday night. I have been at 6 Stones shows this year, and going by the photos Ive seen of the fan gatherings at each one, I have worn that "Checkerboard Lounge" t-shirt you sent me at three of them - and they have played "Sway" each time I've worn it....
[Edited by Gazza]

***raised eyebrow***

Gazza...that's scary.

And that's a good thing!
23rd August 2006 04:47 PM
Saint Sway I need to borrow that t-shirt for the AC show!!
23rd August 2006 04:48 PM
Woodywouldiffycould
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I can't imagine why any show in England would not sell out...regardless of the day of the week...this is odd to me..are ticket prices that high?

Yes - ticket prices were extortionate. Mine was £150 and was to the right of the stage (right to the right!) Pretty shitty view really and the sound was bad.I could barely hear guitars with any clarity.

Ticket prices are at rip-off level and I could see quite a few empty groups of seats - never seen that before on a Stones tour. Anywhere.

I've seen the band on every tour since the 70's, home and away, and this was the most expensive - and soundwise, disappointing.

I also think that the ticket prices keep many fans and youngsters away and the whole atmosphere suffers, much less of a buzz than I've experienced before in London.

Sorry to be a misery, but at those prices I've probably been to my last Stones gig. Probably.

Jagger was chanting as much as singing - but still moves like a deranged teenager. Charlie was Charlie, and Darryl was great. Superb solo. His blog said it was a special night and that they had some problems to overcome. Any clues?

Tell me - was Ronnie as good as I think I might have heard him? Keith sounded bloody awful at times. Am I right or it it just where I was sitting?

23rd August 2006 05:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Ticket prices in the UK are twice as expensive as the rest of Europe, which is pretty ridiculous when you consider that we're no better off here financially than many other European countries and have a higher cost of living. The prices were from £40 - £150 which were a similar price range to 2003, but (as was the case in the major US markets) there were a FAR higher % of tickets in the top price range than last time, so the average ticket price is therefore much higher. Asking £150 for a front block seat is something you can get away with - asking the same price for a tiered seat at the side or halfway back on the pitch is scandalous. Even worse, asking $600 for onstage tickets when they were $250 and $75 in the US is simply taking the piss.

They also misjudged the different economic levels of the country very badly. You could just about get away with that pricing structure at a show in the south of the country (most notably London), although its a struggle to sell out TWO of them. However, Cardiff, Sheffield and Glasgow do not have a) the same amount of tourists and b) the same higher wages that you would get in London, so to have the same pricing structure at those shows as London is a HUGE misjudgement. You're familiar, no doubt, with the way they structure this in the US, in that you'll get a very high % of tickets selling for $450 when they play somewhere like New York, compared to, say, Detroit where there maybe isnt as much wealth and a smaller population. They dont appear to have done it that way here - with lots of very mediocre tickets for the provincial shows being on sale for £150. People can smell a rat easily enough.

Also, (as they did in 2003) the Stones made the shows all seated - although there was NO law at any of the venues requesting this - whereas the pitch seats were general admission everywhere else in Europe, and the tickets far cheaper.

I've met a lot of people this summer from the UK who thought nothing of flying to the continent to see the Stones, and boycotted some or all of the UK shows due to the way we were being discriminated against on the ticket prices. With budget airlines making it relatively cheap to travel to continental Europe, thats understandable.

Personally, I vowed I wouldnt spend more than £100 on any ticket, and if I did it was only if I was in the front ten rows.. Originally, I was going to boycott the UK tour completely, but I decided to go to London when the tickets went on sale because a) I wanted to see them at the new Wembley Stadium and b) I got good seats on the fan club presales etc. I decided to go to Nice and Berlin because theyre good places for a few days away, my wife liked the idea of a weekend in the south of France and Berlin is a city Ive always wanted to visit. And 3 days in either of those cities sounded more attractive than trips to Sheffield or Cardiff and in the end worked out cheaper. I eventually bought tickets for Glasgow simply because a post-public sale offer saw me get tickets in the 4th row for £60 (on the fan club sale I was offered garbage for £150!), and that was hard to turn down when its a cheap 30 minute flight away.
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd August 2006 05:34 PM
heymjm Hey guys - finally got back home, and got myself in a fit state to write a quick report.

Good news:-
We got the guitar playing Ronnie rather than the pointy wavy Ronnie
Keith seemed out to prove that brain surgery improves your playing
No sign of strain in Mick's voice
Charlie is still Charlie and long may he remain so
Despite only 19 songs we got a 2 hour show
Stadium looked pretty damn full to me

Less good news:-
There was quite an echo in the stadium where I was sitting

Breaking news:-
My mini-disk recording seems to have been a success - but don't hold out too much hope for sound quality due to stadium echo and very enthusiastic crowd. I'm just about to go on holiday, but I'll post the show when I return provided a better source hasn't turned up by then.

Cheers all
23rd August 2006 05:38 PM
SweetVirginia Gazza...

Can you elaborate on the rumour that you and Meg ended up with backstage passes?

SV

23rd August 2006 05:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Gazza...

Can you elaborate on the rumour that you and Meg ended up with backstage passes?

SV

Gazza is Satan.

that's my theory and I'm stickin with it.
23rd August 2006 05:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Gazza...

SV

mentioned it in another thread. We got passes for the VIP area, not backstage per se. A very nice chap from IORR (who shall remain nameless) was chatting to me and he had a guy with him who happens to be a close relative to a leading crew member. The guy was told I was a big fan and a sound bloke (or words to that affect) and offered me a VIP pass. I thanked him for the offer but told him I was sitting with 3 friends, all of whom had come from the US, and didnt want to leave them in the lurch. So, I was pretty amazed when he told me "dont worry, I can get the four of you in..". Stonesdoug and Oldkr were with us as well. Maybe theyre more used to this sort of thing (LOL), but it was a nice surprise for me and the rest of us to get such an offer (I only had one thing like that before, in Paris in 1995, when the VIP access I was given actually DID get me what was as good as backstage access as I got to meet Jerry Hall and Darryl Jones).

It meant I had to leave the Cabbage Patch suddenly at 5 pm and missed seeing a few people and had to abort 'greeting' a few others but its not an opportunity that happens very often.
23rd August 2006 06:08 PM
Saint Sway I rest my case.
23rd August 2006 06:41 PM
pdog Gazza is officially my new hero for the rest of this year!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)