ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 22nd August - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
23rd August 2006 08:13 PM
six mayers Nice set list!

Rain Fall Down is back!!

cheers
23rd August 2006 08:27 PM
Mitch We were as far away from the stage as you could get, in the cheap (£40) seats in the top tier of the north end of the stadium, but from where we were sitting it sounded pretty good. Good bass from stage centre and a clear left-right sound image throughout. We obviously didn't get the close up view that the big spenders got, but it was a much better view than we expected and the big screen and a pair of binoculars worked wonders.

There was a slight fuzzy edge to the sound when the support/opening act, the Charlatans, were playing, but that disappeared as the stadium filled up and bodies soaked up the sound. Even then it was better sound than I've heard with other openers.

The stadium was late filling, probably because it was a week-day, and still looked fairly empty at 7:30, half-way through the Charlatans (who played for about 30 mins from 7:15 to 7:45), but it filled steadily from then on. I would guess it was eventually over 90%, maybe 95% full, maybe more. Some of the back two rows, next to the corporate hospitality boxes looked to have been held back and remained empty. People were still flooding in at 8:15, and I assume the show was delayed slightly as a result because it didn't start until just before 8:30.

I don't know what the difficulties were that Darryl mentioned, but maybe that was another reason for the delay. Mick seemed unsure about the set order early on - maybe theatrically so. Didn't he ask 'Where's the hymn sheet?" at one point. Soon afterwards a roadie stuffed a sheet of paper that looked like the setlist under his mike stand, although that might have been for something else. (It disappeared later.)

The comments about Mick's voice still being suspect probably have some truth in them. There was a much sharper edge to his singing than I've heard before, less mellow when he wanted it to be, and I guess his throat was still suffering.

Ronnie was reliable throughout, as was Charlie. Keith was the magnificent Keith, and the 'glorious shambles' comment about his numbers was just about right from where I was sitting. No change there then, everything back to normal. Darryl was good but for some reason didn't register with me as much as I'd hoped. At times I think he'd have hit me more if he'd played less - like less is more.

The first half of the concert was the best. When Keith did his interlude it wavered right on the edge as it always does but succeeded in the face of disaster, as it usually does. The concert picked up energy immediately afterwards with the moving stage. Performing on the small stage really whipped up excitement in everyone around it, on their feet, arms outstretched and pushing forward. Towards the end of that part I thought Mick's voice was getting noticeably croaky, and it was a relief when they got back to stage-central and kicked back into Sympathy and Paint it Black. Triumphal stuff, and I wish it had finished there.

That was because... the biggest disappointment for me was Brown Sugar and the encore, Satisfaction. They were both great for a while, but they just became extended riffs lasting ten minutes each while Mick strutted across all points of the stage to kind-of bid farewell to all parts of the audience. It just went on too long and became a big yawn. Maybe it's usual for this tour but I've seen them do it far better and I like to see them go out on a blast, a real high. Having said that I think everyone was hoping for a further encore, but it never came. They took their bows and were off at 10:25, the only time we couldn't see them, or the screen, properly from the back because of the pyrotechnic smoke hanging heavy in the air.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world though.

PS: I'm not a diehard, as you can probably tell, but I hope that fills in a few gaps.
[Edited by Mitch]
23rd August 2006 08:53 PM
Gazza thanks Mitch and welcome

Mick actually introduced the 4th song as "Live with me" and then the band launched into "lets spend the night together" which caused everyone around us to scratch their heads - of course they played "live with me" right afterwards

I liked his line where he mentioned about starting out around twickenham and Richmond, asked if there was anyone who saw them back then, got a muted response and then quipped "well, dont worry - its the same setlist!"
23rd August 2006 09:27 PM
Mitch
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Mick actually introduced the 4th song as "Live with me" and then the band launched into "lets spend the night together" which caused everyone around us to scratch their heads - of course they played "live with me" right afterwards

Yes, I saw that. He was was walking to the back of the stage just as he said it, and Chuck Leavell smirked back at him and threw a quick glance across at Charlie and the others before they all launched into 'let's spend', regardless.

I can't remember if it was just before then or later that Mick looked lost and mumbled, I think, about 'where's the hymn sheet'. The sheet of paper I mentioned was put under the mike stand when Mick strapped on a guitar for the first time, whichever number that was.

quote:
Gazza wrote:
I liked his line where he mentioned about starting out around Twickenham and Richmond, asked if there was anyone who saw them back then, got a muted response and then quipped "well, dont worry - its the same setlist!"

Yeah, I misheard that at first because he said it as a throwaway. I thought for a moment he was asking who'd been there on the Sunday because it was the same set-list as then. Fortunately not. And yes, it was a good line.
~
[Edited by Mitch]
23rd August 2006 09:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mitch wrote:
I can't remember if it was just before then or later that Mick looked lost and mumbled, I think, about 'where's the hymn sheet'. The sheet of paper I mentioned was put under the mike stand when Mick strapped on a guitar for the first time, whichever number that was.

Rain Fall Down, that would have been...
24th August 2006 12:40 AM
PartyDoll MEG I should be in bed as my body is saying it is 5AM London time ...I'll make this quick

Enjoyed Sunday's show more than Tuesday's, but both shows were excellent in IMHO! Enjoyed Sunday's song choices much more, but really was happy to see the big change in setlist on Tuesday. Probably was due to Jagger's voice, but still a nice surprise. Let's hope Chuck and Mick continue on this course. It would be really nice if they would also change up the back end of the show, but I guess that is asking too much.

Closest I have ever been at a Stones concert, and it was pure bliss to see the sweat rolling down Jagger's face and Keith's cute little smiles to the audience. Ronnie seems on the top of his game and played excellent both nights.

Maybe some of my cheap camera photos will turn out "good" this time. Otherwise, I am going to make a "work of art" out of the hundreds of pictures I have from concerts with unidentifiable "people" on a stage(I think), all shapes and styles of bald heads, waving arms, and blurred masses of color.

Photos of our RO'ers to follow when I get my disposable cameras developed....

Nite nite
24th August 2006 09:47 AM
Gazza Glad you got home - eventually!

here are some photos from CindyC over on IORR from Tuesday night - the four of us (Cindy, T&A, Meg and myself) in the VIP area and then just in front of the stage before the gig, and a few of the concert taken from 5th row.

She's en route to Glasgow so hopefully when she gets time, she'll send me some more..

24th August 2006 10:01 AM
glencar Gazza, nice pics. One of my Irish friends took what proimises to be spectacular photos & he'll email them to me later. He was in A3 right by the center. I won't even bother with my nosebleeds.
24th August 2006 10:15 AM
Gazza thats where we were at this show (night 2). A3, row 5
24th August 2006 10:21 AM
glencar Holy Cow! They were in Row 3, I think. 2 Irish guys wearing glasses. Obvious lawyer types.
24th August 2006 10:40 AM
Honky Tonk Man WOW! What a show and what a seat!

I just wish to state how much of a pleasure it was to meet everyone at The Cabbage Patch on both the Sunday and the Tuesday. Here’s hoping that there will be more London meeting in the years to come.

My seat for Tuesdays show was absolutely phenomenal (Whether the kind soul who helped me out would agree, I don’t know!) but it really was fantastic. I was situated just to the right of the b-stage next too Man Of Wealth And Taste and the wonderful Bitch from New Jersey.

The show itself was great and unlike on the Sunday when I was having difficulty separating the various different sounds, everything from my standing point tonight was crystal clear. The boys were fantastic and as I’m sure everyone has seen, the set list was PERFECT! Okay, a song down perhaps, but we got Bitch and Live With Me. Both were expertly performed and I didn’t expect either. Now, this is the big point for me, THE B-STAGE! The two and myself mentioned above in a previous paragraph managed to get to the barrier and it was the most amazing concert experience of my life! It’s one thing to be seated in the front row and while I’m sure that is undoubtedly an experience and a half, I fail to see how it could possibly match up to being within feet of the boys themselves. Rant and rave about the joys of it all I may (I could see every drop of swear trickle down Mick’s forehead), it was also however, a strange experience. I couldn’t get over how tiny they seemed close up and Mick Jagger, to me anyway, resembled a Thunderbirds puppet and my god, they’re all TOO skinny!

All, in all, two wonderful Stones days. Thank you everyone and I look forward to hopefully seeing everyone else again soon!
24th August 2006 10:51 AM
Gazza Glad those tickets were OK for all of you.

I was pleased for Bitch that they played "her song" !
[Edited by Gazza]
24th August 2006 04:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Glad those tickets were OK for all of you.

[Edited by Gazza]

The tickets were more than bloody OK!

Yep, Bitch was very excited!
24th August 2006 05:31 PM
headshrinker wot can i say. 5 rows from the front of the b stage. SSOOOOO close! honky tonk women - one of the greatest moments ever. i cudnt belive it. my fave song being performed 15ft away from me - unbelievable

just wish they had of dun rambler
24th August 2006 06:25 PM
Stray Cat UK Great show and a great crowd where I was A6/ROW15. We even got away with standing on the seats to watch the b stage !

Bloody battery failed on my camera,but got a few shots that I'll try to post.

Glad your seat was great Honky tonk Man as you were kind of unsure when I left you (I think).

Looked like fun in the vip area Gazza.

Highlights for me;

Live with me
Bitch - Keith played his Les Paul Jnr.
Paint it Black
YCAGWYW

scuk
24th August 2006 08:44 PM
Gazza some more of the "VIP crew" from Tuesday night.

Meg, Gazza, T&A, CindyC

same four, just before showtime :

24th August 2006 11:11 PM
PartyDoll MEG Just like I figured...Disposable cameras take horrible photos!!

The only "acceptable" ones in the lot. So Sad!!!..... Rest going in the pile for my future work of art.

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
25th August 2006 03:33 PM
oldkr Gazza, Tod, Cindy and MEG!! what a pleasure it was to eat free food and drink in a crowded side room with you all-- Gazza and Tod neglected to mention that on SUnday they were with 2 of the most esteemed stones fans around, that would be my folks dubbed OlderKR and OldkrsMum!!!!

great shows didnt even notice that there were only 19 songs had a blast although thought tuesday was much better -- as keith actually woke up for that one!!!

OLDKR
25th August 2006 03:35 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
oldkr wrote:
Gazza, Tod, Cindy and MEG!! what a pleasure it was to eat free food and drink in a crowded side room with you all-- Gazza and Tod neglected to mention that on SUnday they were with 2 of the most esteemed stones fans around, that would be my folks dubbed OlderKR and OldkrsMum!!!!

great shows didnt even notice that there were only 19 songs had a blast although thought tuesday was much better -- as keith actually woke up for that one!!!

OLDKR

Such a pleasure to meet you, Keith. Don't miss your photo in the Cabbage Patch thread
28th August 2006 10:20 AM
Bitch
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Glad those tickets were OK for all of you.

Thank you Gazza! When BITCH started up, my heart really was beating louder than Charlies drums, I was jumping up and down. I was so happy and thrilled with the way BITCH was played; it was loud and hard and fast and wild, the Stones had me in the grips, a feeling that was almost erotic, I was very excited and well pleased!

So very happy that you and your friends recieved the VIP treatment Gazza, you certainly deserve it, with all of your hard work and efforts here at ROCKS OFF! So I hope you got your Rocks Off with that! You are a King of the Stones Underground, IMO!

It was a pleasure meeting the Rocks Off people at the Cabbage Patch, you're a really fun crowd, and if the RS ever play London again, I will definately go. London was truly fantastic! Both shows were great, but I preferred Tuesday's setlist, and the seats were sweet, thanks to Gazza, and hope we can meet again. My pics are being developed so if theres any good shots I'll post them here.

31st August 2006 09:05 AM
Bitch

31st August 2006 12:02 PM
PartyDoll MEG Good photos, Bitch!! Was a pleasure to meet you at the Cabbage Patch!
31st August 2006 07:02 PM
Gazza Excellent photos. Thanks!
5th September 2006 03:30 PM
jb Does RW really play the guitar still? Honestly?
5th September 2006 06:24 PM
Saint Sway all these pics look the same as every other show

can anyone actually PROVE that these pics are actually from this show and werent just borrowed from another show from last year??

my theory is that they havent played any shows since the palm tree incident and the entire tour is merely an internet hoax

the pictures dont lie... or do they??
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)