ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Feyenoord Stadium aka De Kuip August 11, 2003
Sven Hoogerhuis / CyberImage
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: De Kuip, Rotterdam 11/8 SETLIST,PICS AND REVIEWS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-11-03 03:32 PM
Gazza ..And who said the stadium setlists were predictable...

the setlist so far - thanks to Strange Stray Cat

Brown sugar
You Got me rocking
IORR
Dont Stop
Wild Horses
You Cant Always Get What You Want
PAINT IT BLACK!!
Tumbling Dice
Thru & Thru
Happy
Sympathy For The Devil
STARFUCKER !!!! (b stage)
Little red rooster (b stage)
Street fighting man (b stage)
[Edited by Gazza]
08-11-03 04:07 PM
Fred how you know the setlist unitl song 14
and keith stil have to start his numbers?
(i am waching live via webcam
http://www.feyenoord.nl/webtv/ned/cams.html)

kind of a magic, what is coming upnext

08-11-03 04:09 PM
Stonesdoug the webcam is on a 20 minute delay
08-11-03 04:20 PM
Gazza Precisely

Fred - welcome to the board, first of all..

I know because I've been receiving text messages. We've been using this system throughout the entire European tour. But sometimes on this tour , we've posted the full setlist BEFORE most of the show took place as our "spies" were able to READ the printed setlist at the edge of the stage!
08-11-03 04:44 PM
Boomy Now that is awesome. I commend them for changing it up a bit.
08-11-03 04:59 PM
steel driving hammer You a Star Fucka stah fucka stah fucka stah fucka stah yes yu ah ye ah WHEW!

I bet the version tonight was tight.
08-11-03 05:02 PM
Gazza first performance of "Starfucker" since Gothenburg 31.7.98

first performance of "Paint it black" since the final BTB show in cologne 20.6.99

"Paint it black" was actually a no. 1 single in the Netherlands as recently as 1990 when it was re-issued to coincide with the "Urban jungle" tour at the same time as it was being used as the opening theme for the TV series "Tour of Duty". This would probably explain why they've dusted it down for this show.
08-11-03 05:04 PM
Monkey Woman Those guys are sharp!
08-11-03 05:05 PM
Gazza final confirmed setlist;

Brown sugar
You Got me rocking
IORR
Dont Stop
Wild Horses
You Cant Always Get What You Want
PAINT IT BLACK!!
Tumbling Dice
Thru & Thru
Happy
Sympathy For The Devil
STARFUCKER !!!! (b stage)
Little red rooster (b stage)
Street fighting man (b stage)
Gimme Shelter
Honky tonk Women
Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash (encore)
[Edited by Gazza]
08-11-03 05:10 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Paint it black" was actually a no. 1 single in the Netherlands as recently as 1990

Maybe then the Beatles will fade away and have to face the facts.

It's not easy facing up when the whole Beatle world is black.

Oh yeah babe.
08-11-03 05:28 PM
steel driving hammer Only found 3 so far.

08-11-03 05:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy And now, this:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Helllllllllllllllllllll yesssss!

You crazy Dutch. The Stones must love you. I mean realllllly love you. I hope you realize just how strong their love is.

Unless these "new tunes" were like "Heartbreaker" in Munich. Then I'd say they're interested in having you all kill yourselves so they can take your stashes.

-tSYX --- I see a line of cars and they're all painted blah-ahhhck...
08-11-03 05:55 PM
Boomy Which show from the Netherlands is supposed to be included in the 4 dvd set they plan on releasing?
08-11-03 06:46 PM
beer Paint It Black and Starfucker. Excellent. They are obviously trying be forgiven for committing recent Sins. This is a step in the right direction.

"Behold, bring back the blessed guitarist named Taylor and ALL will be forgiven, my Sons. Yes, all will be forgiven, even appearances by false Idols. In Toronto." -God
08-11-03 07:04 PM
albert Just came back from the Kuip....
great, great show!!
Very nice audience: clapping, cheering, singing, dancing from the begin to the end; from the field to the highest and most far seats. Even after the last bows!!!

The band was in a real good mood; Ronnie and Keith were hot on the guitars and very good in the sound mix. Some real good solo's from Ronnie, for example in Happy, YCAGWYW and in Start Me Up. Many cheers for Charlie and Keith in the introductions. Ronnie really started his own little party after his introduction and put Charlie a straw hat (out of the audience?)on his head

First part of the concert no voice problems for a very energetic Mick; later his voice seems to 'weaken'a little bit.(?!) and yes: Paint It black and Starfucker were real surprises. I thought the b-stage songs were really a treat tonight!!

I'm going to bed now and take a rest for wednesday and saturday (Vreedenburg!!)

goodnight,
Albert
Holland
08-11-03 07:07 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Just got home.
Wasn't the best show I've seen. Sound was terrible; especially at the start. But Starfucker was great! I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the setlist in the b-stage guitar stand.
[Edited by Strange_Stray_Cat]
08-11-03 07:18 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Ow and Angiegirl is like really famous; she was at Dutch tv last night being interviewed about the Stones at the stadium.
08-11-03 07:35 PM
rolling___bunny i don't know where u have been tonight but i have seen the best stadium show in years from the Stones. Way better than the shows in paris a month ago, this was trully rock 'n roll tonight. Gonna go to bed...
08-11-03 08:10 PM
steel driving hammer Fucking Holland, heaven on Earth.

Stones, Red Light Women and drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It scares me it's too good.

08-11-03 08:27 PM
steel driving hammer From Marko Pepper,

08-11-03 08:43 PM
Angiegirl Nope, mediocre show! Not too bad either, just mediocre.
We (Mark and me) were front row B-stage (our amazement at reading Starfucker on the list was great; Paint it Black we already heard during soundcheck, like 3 times ) the weather was humid and hot, sweating like crazy.

So, they let everyone inside the FOS-area, also people with regular field-tix, so that the sections were way over-crowded and people with a FOS ticket who came later, couldn't get in anymore...
It's always something in Holland. My God, MOJO and good organization are 2 non-matching words.

Toots and the Maytalls were a great opener in the hot and sweaty weather!! People danced and cheered, not very wild, but for an opener... Keith, Ronnie, Jo Wood, Ronnie's son were all standing/hiding/dancing/smoking weed behind the amps on stage and Bobby Keys just sat openly on the stairs of his platform, with a (few) beers! Great!

Stones opened, and I was shocked by the sound! It was the most terrible sound I've ever heard, no guitars, just a muffled bass-sound, and horns and vocals were way too loud and high-pitched. It was like I was listening to a very bad sound-quality bootleg. Mind you: our friends were standing like 10th row front section, and they thought it was ok-good, so it must have been the place we were at I guess. We all noticed.

Stones were all smiling and great, very glad to be in Holland again, Mick excused himself to the Rotterdam audience for omitting them last tour (they only played Amsterdam and The Hague in 98 and Groningen and Landgraaf in 99). Crowd was great, hands in the air all over the place, till far behind us and all seats too! They loved it.

IORR was a mess, it had kind of a double start/prolonged start because they were all off. Worst version I've heard. Wild horses and You can't always get were wonderful!! I must admit, very very cool. The crowd sang enormously loud, and they kept on singing 'You can't always get...' while Mick was already doing his couplet verses, that was funny. Cool audience.
Paint it Black was nice, I've heard them do much tighter versions, but the audience loved it. Ronnie put in some very nice 70s-like licks in his solos, that was very nice, very different from the let's say Paris 98 version.

TD: Mick sang way too fast!!! Every time again, whick created kind of an echoe-like effect because the sounds were lacking in synchronism .
Keef: Good to be here, 3 times!!! No Good to be anywhere, though, lol. 'We made it' he said after band intros (Mick put his hat on Charlie's head when people kept on yelling Chharlie, and Charlie wasn't too pleased with that, he looked at Mick really annoyed, lol!) and 'It was a shot to get here, but we made it'. Good version of Thru and Thru, but I thought the Oberhausen version was way better. Drums were great and loud (Charlie was very good tonight), backing vocals buried in the mix completely...
Happy was just happy, regular.

Sympathy: o my god, those flames were sooo hot and the weather already was so warm... Nice version though, although Keith messed up his solos some, and he could barely be heard where we were standing anyway.

B-stage: ahhh, our spot! It's still great to see them from that close! Intro of Starfucker wasn't too good, but the rest of the song was nice. But that's difficult to judge as the sound is so bad at the B-stage in a stadium (you get the sound from 2 or 3 different sources with delays and echoes, lol). Most people around us were kind of unfamiliar with the song I thought, not too many fists in the air with the yells: 'You're a starfucker, starfucker, starfucker, star...', except for ours of course .

Little Red Rooster was nice, can't really remember if it was better than the Paris Stade de France 2003 version (which was a good version). Then 3rd one SFM. Ronnie was gesturing for the sound of his guitar about 2 or 3 times, so they must not have been too satisfied with the sound either I guess. One bra was tossed on stage, nobody noticed, and a roadie grabbed it and put it on some of the flight-cases beside the stage...
Great bows and again a very very very very LONG intro to Gimme Shelter as Mick took his time changing clothes and saying goodbye to the B-stage audience again. I hate that tape intro!! Together with the too prominent presence of Chuck's piano it ruins this tour's version for me. And tonight was a completely uninspired, very badly played version, they all messed up, except for Chuck, Charlie and Lisa. Even Mick was off.

Last songs, HTW, Start me up, Satisfaction and JJF were very good actually! They had turned up the volume, guitars could be heard some and Keith did a great version of JJF tonight, like he did in Prague too!
During satisfaction Mick had a red confetti thing sticking to his neck and we all cracked up laughing!! It was such a funny sight on the screens, Mick being totally unaware of course. The rest of the band saw it and laughed, but did nothing!! After 3 minutes or so, Darryl stopped Mick and took it off his neck, and Mick had a very disturbed look on his face realizing he had walked around like that for the whole song .

During HTW Chuck was filmed as usual and what did that man do!!! He put his foot on the piano at the end!!! O no, we thought, not again!!

So, a nice show, but nothing special except for Paint and Star in the setlist and some good and great moments. Loads of mistakes, also by Jagger. Keith was ok tonight, Ronnie had his moments, but looked dazed I thought (too many joints with Toots I reckon, lol) and didn't play too much guitar either.

Now, I'm tired, have to get ready for 1 day of rest and Wednesday, I'm sure will be a better show for me! At least we're going to be inside the FOS area, so that will make things better and the Stones are often better on a second show in a country, when the first one was a regular one. Hope to see more surprises in setlist in Ahoy and Vredenburg.

When I got home I rewinded my video tape as I had programmed/taped the news broadcasts and I saw myself back on tv, saying 2 lines (that the stones make me poor). That's very funny, my mother, brother and friend all saw the piece and sent me a text message, lol.

THIS WILL BE A GREAT WEEK!!!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-11-03 08:49 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
From Marko Pepper

Hey SDH, do you know Marco Peper???
08-11-03 08:54 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Hey SDH, do you know Marco Peper???

LOL, must be!

I can already smell the Amsterdam WEED!

And it smells GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-11-03 08:55 PM
Angiegirl I smelled a lot of that tonight! I wonder if anyone was even smoking regular cigarettes, ! It's getting me high, high, higher...
08-11-03 08:56 PM
steel driving hammer Great review Angiegirl, just read it.

Glad you were there!

I will be at the Black and White party!

I hope to see you w/out your man, cause I know he done gone!!!

Just kidding, I'm so friggen scared actually!
08-11-03 09:04 PM
Angiegirl FYI: I don't have a man, or did you mean my male cat Happy?

What's the black & white party? Is that the thing on August 18 in Amsterdam fom Shidoobee at the Stones cafe on Leidseplein??? I will be there too if that's the one you're referring to...

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-11-03 09:14 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
FYI: I don't have a man, or did you mean my male cat Happy?

Oh thats me honey,,,

08-11-03 10:02 PM
Madafaka Excellent setlist! I wanna hear this boot.
Thank you for the info guys!
08-11-03 11:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
08-12-03 12:19 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Fucking Holland, heaven on Earth.

Stones, Red Light Women and drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It scares me it's too good.

Who's that on Mick's shirt?

Nice little treat having Toots opening. Very cool! Nice change from Nazis and white boys pretending to be white boys.
Page: 1 2 3