ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Feyenoord Stadium aka De Kuip August 11, 2003
Sven Hoogerhuis / CyberImage
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: De Kuip, Rotterdam 11/8 SETLIST,PICS AND REVIEWS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-12-03 04:35 PM
jb I agree with your analysis TSXY ....I think Keith definitely carried Ronnie from 94 forward. On this tour, however, the early theme was Ronnie was "back" and Keith was not quite there. As the tour progressed, it seems Ronnie has again pulled his disappearing act and Keith, while as good as 94,97, or 99 on some nights, has more off nights than on. Thus, you are left with a tremendous void at times re: guitars....this is so apparent to most of us stones fans yet to others the wall of sound probably sounds good.
08-12-03 04:35 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
...but I don't think they'll tour again with him.

I don't think they will tour again, period.
08-12-03 04:38 PM
jb I agree angiegirl...I think it's time to call it a day...no question they are the greatest rock-n-roll band, but they are damaging whatever legacy they should have had.
08-12-03 04:40 PM
Angiegirl For once I agree with you Josh!
Damaging is a big word tho.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-12-03 04:45 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I don't think they will tour again, period.

At least I hope so.
08-12-03 05:16 PM
egon
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Well, shit. Sounds like Ronnie's off the wagon...

The translation's abysmal, but I got that he had to be carried back into the hotel...

Fuck. You sure this isn't a story from '99?

your right, i misread. the fan IS telling a story about 99.
08-12-03 06:03 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
egon wrote:

your right, i misread. the fan IS telling a story about 99.

Well, *that's* good news.

So Ronnie's still on the wagon, he's just puffin' the Marahoochie. Understandable for Toots. But again, Ronnie's proven that his tolerance for said herb is nowhere near Keith's. Maybe he should give that up, too...

Man, nuthin's gonna be fun for Ronnie anymore!

-tSYX --- Everybody got to go...
08-12-03 07:00 PM
kahoosier Well we all have different opinions I guess. I saw someone raving about the Comisky Park show, I was there, thought the sound was bad at the first, and near the end thought that the music had a slowed metronome quality, the guys were just going throuh the motions and lacked the fire of the past. I bought a boot of the performance and felt the same way.

But then I saw them twice in Sydney. I was hypnotized by the experience at the Enmore, but felt that the shows at the Sydney Arena were on fire. Again I bought the boots, and they gave me enough hope that I am on my way to the UK in a little over a week.

I have seen the shows since 1978. I agree that people who do not follow the band regularly are probably over whelmed by the spectacle and the wall of sound, and cannot be diapppointed. These people are the majority. But there are a handful of us, posting regularly here, or on IORR, or on Shidobee, that are a bit more hard core and painfully aware that at best, it is a toss of the infamous Tumblin Dice on what the quality of the show will be. Mick is carrying more weight than ever, but Ronnie...well...if you have nothing good to say...

Keith has stated in an interview that he, Mick, and Charlie would carry on without Ronnie if need be. Mick has made it very clear that he is not stopping, and already is planning the next tour. I think there will be some serious soul searching after the Licks tour. I cannot imagine how they will tour without Ronnie, but nor will I be surprised if they attempt it. I mean Blondie plays more and more guitar on stage, and who would have ever have thought to see that happen. If Sir Mick had his way, I think he would un-encumber himself of spotty guitarists all together, but he knows his legacy and his bread and butter is tied into being one of the Glimmer Twins. I do not say that with any malignancy though. With the money I spend on these tours, I think I deserve the best shows possible, and if the guys are falling apart, then I am not getting my money's worth no matter the cause. So if Mick is now the driving force, I thank him.
08-12-03 08:50 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
I mean Blondie plays more and more guitar on stage, and who would have ever have thought to see that happen..?

me.

but hoosier, you are spot on...
08-12-03 10:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Shiiiiiit, that'd be a catastrophe. Blondie replacing Ronnie.

"The 'ie' at the end does not a good guitarist make... erm... Blondie..."

And even that old phrase won't have the same ring to it anymore.

You are right, though. Keith made it clear in Toronto at the beginning of this tour that if Ronnie was ever a liability they'd drop him. Mick, as you say, ignores the fact that Keith is part of the problem as well (As well he should - Keith was right when he said Stones without himself, Mick or Charlie is no Stones... though I kinda extend that to Ronnie, what with him being a 28-year veteran... but then again, they didn't extend it to Bill...), and, as someone brilliantly said earlier in the year, "If all else fails... blame Ronnie."

Let's not kid ourselves. Neither Keith nor Ronnie are playing at what might be called the "acceptable" level. The difference is that this is a relatively new phenomenon to Keith (the last three tours) while Ronnie's been having this problem for the past four tours (three-and-a-half, really - the American leg of Licks was astounding), all the while leaning on Keith, who would sometimes pull out the energy to make up for it.

So what *can* you do? Keith is not going to clean up his act this late in the game. You can either quit this year (ain't gonna happen), release a final studio album and go on a real farewell tour and call it quits (probably ain't gonna happen), wait for one of them to die (I can't believe I just said that - having said it, Ronnie's next, though he's probably got five years if he stays dry, and having him die probably won't solve anything), or fire Ronnie now and have Blondie or someone else join up in a "Darrylesque" position, dropping the number of Official Stones to three.

I don't think they'll call a certain Mick Taylor. There's too much pride involved there on Mick Jagger's part. While Keith's buried the hatchet with Taylor, Mick clearly has not. And Mick is wearing the pants in this relationship. Keith can't find his pants some nights, let alone put 'em on.

*sigh*... such morbid talk... hopefully on Wednesday we'll snap out of it.

-tSYX --- Way down in Lus'iana down in New Owleans...
08-13-03 02:39 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
jb wrote:
Unfortunately, even the dutch are no longer supporting the stones as in the past.....>:

I will now quote a review from IORR.org...

"One thing is for sure, Holland is a Stones-country and the people in De Kuip (Feyenoord Stadium) gattered for a Stones celebration, nothing less. It was party-time from the first note of Brown Sugar until Jumpin' Jack Flash. During Don't Stop the audience made it clear that the Stones had a serious point there: DON' STOP was shouted by some 45.000 enthusiastic fans."

It seems an awful lot like most places aren't supporting the Stones, Josh, according to you. Holland, the Northwest US, England, etc., etc. Why is that, exactly? And exactly which places DO support the Stones, Josh? You seem educated, I'd like to know...

Sometimes I worry about you, my friend.
08-13-03 05:32 AM
dealer squealing I totally dissagree with you who think they should call it quit. I´ve been a Stones fan since 1987 (yeas funny year to become a fan) and seen them live since 1990.
My best concert so far was in Stockholm last month! I was worried about the band, you know all the worries about Ronnie and Keith. But they still can kick it hard, you should not always just read the negative thoughts but also the positives because you can always find negative points about each and every Stones concert even the Fuxxing Brussel show which most of you are licking to much. Also i would like to mention that the guitar sound on the VL tour was the worst i have heard weak and low. Thats the tour i like least in recent years although the setlist were good.
08-13-03 06:02 AM
justforyou Somepeople forget to enjoy the music that comes out at the shows, and some have the same opinion both before and after a show they didn't even attend.....

So stop worrying about Keith and Ronnie, appreciate the sounds that they make instead. And hell, Stones without Ronnie, I'd boycott them on the spot for lacking comraderie...
08-13-03 06:55 AM
albert I'm a big stones fans since the 60's and saw them perform a lot of times through the 70's on till last monday and let me reply:

this was a great Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Show that made a lot of people happy, including me!

So please stop complaining about mistakes........
Ronnie did some great solo's and still got it and on the spot I stood from Brown Sugar till the end there was a real good guitar sound.

Best show for me since Malieveld and de Kuip - 1982

Hope they will be as good or even better tonight!!
08-13-03 07:23 AM
marko they will ever be better than in 1982!
08-13-03 08:09 AM
egon more useless shit:

http://www2.telegraaf.nl/prive/article3431521.ece
08-13-03 01:40 PM
McQueen Roll on Boys...

It appears a few suffer from the "oh for the good ol' days" syndrome. The Stones have always been a sloppy bunch of lads. Each and every tour is noted for its combinations of on and off nights. Such are the joys of excess, the kind mere mortals can only dream of. This tour, hands down, their most consistent outing in a decade. Remarkable, in fact, given the combined toll of years, relationships, and a collective myriad of spiritual and physical abuses. Fear the Reaper? Nah, fuck him!

So speak ill of them if you will, such is your opportunity.

I say again, roll on boys...
08-13-03 02:27 PM
jb Please stop for the sake of your real fans like me...we are being embarrassed and humiliated on a daily basis b/c of events like the "timberlake affair"..........
08-13-03 03:20 PM
sandrew The only scenario in which I'd like to see them again is if they put out another studio album. I was never that comfortable with the idea of a greatest-hits tour, even if I was intrigued by the mixed-venue concept.

I think it's highly possible they have another great album in them. The four track on "40 Licks" were middling, but that was more a case of them being rushed out the door than anything else.

Three studio albums in 14 years. And we wonder why audiences are smaller these days? It's because they're seeing the same show over and over again and being charged more every time.
08-13-03 03:59 PM
jb yes sandrew.........i agree....same shows,no new material, Keith and Ronnie really on the decline.... AC/DC blowing them away, terrible sound or lack thereof...the JT incident...
08-13-03 04:12 PM
McQueen Ask, and you shall receive!

It's coming-and it's gonna be goooooooooooddddddddddd....
08-13-03 04:19 PM
jb McQueen, I gather from your accent your from London...
08-13-03 08:18 PM
McQueen All 'round...

"On no work of words now for three lean months in the bloody Belly of the rich year and the big purse of my body

I bitterly take to task my poverty and craft:

...If I take to burn or return this world which is each man's work."

Ah, the Welsh always have it to the heart, no?

Be there soon...
08-13-03 09:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
McQueen wrote:
Ask, and you shall receive!

It's coming-and it's gonna be goooooooooooddddddddddd....

McQueen, I can't tell whether I want to hug you or throttle you every time you say that.

Better than Bridges? No dumbass pop songs? Balls-out R'n'R? *Keith doing a rocker for the first time in fifteen years?*

(Please?)

-tSYX --- We decided that we would have a soda...
08-13-03 11:02 PM
Boomy TSYX, in no way is this album NOT going to have some kind of pop songs.

For some reason, and I don't know why, because they are getting older in age they have to write some sort of "family friendly" songs. Take a chance, I tell ya. Sing about sex, drugs, whatever. Go against the friggin' grain. Why do they feel like they have to stay current? I mean, the general rock fan won't buy their new records anyway. They are not a big album band. And Keith said "It's the best Stones yet." Geez, he's a marketing genius now, too.

Unfortunately,It's what they do now. I just can't listen to "Stealing My Heart" and "Keys To Your Love" anymore. They are boring and have no feeling to them. Let's hope they care about what they are doing in the studio for an upcoming album, whenever it comes out.
08-13-03 11:49 PM
McQueen C'mon now, it's gonna rock ya, it's gonna go down slow on ya, maybe a little nibble here and there just to keep ya on yer toes boy.

The most recent albums all had their moments did they not? Just not enough of them Thru and Thru to satisfy all of the people all of the time. Well, this gem is gonna be a bit different.

Give it a break, give it a listen, then make up your mind, your sweet ass, and all the in betweens...

Not too much longer now...
08-14-03 08:33 AM
Boomy Ok, you seem to know something. Is an album really gonna come out in the next 5 years?

Maybe a 7 year gap between albums means that they have a gem in their hands the next time. right?
08-14-03 09:34 AM
hotlicks Dream on guys it's not going to happen, maybe a box set of outtakes,live tracks etc...
Page: 1 2 3