ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bands Of Today Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11th August 2006 04:17 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
I donīt think theres any you really miss,maybe outtakes?
Sir SS knows some good bands,(new ones even),but here in
Finland,i donīt have time,or possibilty to look for them.
Mostly mainstream pop-rock genre.SS played last i was there
few good records.Still a bit copycat.But lot better than
the shit they play on the radio.

I have not listened to FM radio in years,,it';s either "classic rock" with the Eagles or new shit that is completely alien to me....I am stuck listening to 72 boots ad nauseum...
11th August 2006 04:23 PM
duck http://www.myspace.com/lifehasteeth
11th August 2006 04:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Like Pdog...I can't even begin to list all the new stuff i listen to.

One that I'm big on right now that no one mentioned yet is The Len Price 3. And The Novaks...anyone who likes the Stones will dig The Novaks.

Are the new New York Dolls a new band? LOL!

I have never understood why people say stuff like...Rock n Roll is dead...there's nothing good out there nowadays.

Or they just listen to one band only. That is just weird.

If you think Rock n Roll is dead, or that there is no good music being made anymore...you are blind and deaf. Turn off your commercial FM radio, and stay out of megachain record stores. Tune in to The Underground Garage on Sirius, and stop by your local independent used record store. Shit...just ask for some recommendations here at RO. There are lotsa people here that can hip you to some stuff that you just may (GASP!) enjoy. Sure you may not dig everything that gets recommended, but the worst thing that happens is that you heard something different. How bad can that be?

But if your mind is so closed up that you shut everything else out...there's probably no help for you. Enjoy your private little world.
11th August 2006 04:28 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Like Pdog...I can't even begin to list all the new stuff i listen to.

One that I'm big on right now that no one mentioned yet is The Len Price 3. And The Novaks...anyone who likes the Stones will dig The Novaks.

Are the new New York Dolls a new band? LOL!

I have never understood why people say stuff like...Rock n Roll is dead...there's nothing good out there nowadays.

Or they just listen to one band only. That is just weird.

If you think Rock n Roll is dead, or that there is no good music being made anymore...you are blind and deaf. Turn off your commercial FM radio, and stay out of megachain record stores. Tune in to The Underground Garage on Sirius, and stop by your local independent used record store. Shit...just ask for some recommendations here at RO. There are lotsa people here that can hip you to some stuff that you just may (GASP!) enjoy. Sure you may not dig everything that gets recommended, but the worst thing that happens is that you heard something different. How bad can that be?

But if your mind is so closed up that you shut everything else out...there's probably no help for you. Enjoy your private little world.

My mind has become very rigid as I have gotten older...very cynical and unwilling to listen to any music other than a handful of groups...I am missing out on a lot, and I would like to start drinking again ...
11th August 2006 04:32 PM
marko We donīt have here any underground stations left,here in
Helsinki area we have wonderfull Radio Q,they EVERYTHING
from this planet,but you know what? YLE(finish radio company),is shutting it down,end of the year,and guess what
weīll get to replace that?
The same brainless shit,we get on every channel......
Thats,one of the reason,why modern people are so ignorant.
11th August 2006 04:33 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
We donīt have here any underground stations left,here in
Helsinki area we have wonderfull Radio Q,they EVERYTHING
from this planet,but you know what? YLE(finish radio company),is shutting it down,end of the year,and guess what
weīll get to replace that?
The same brainless shit,we get on every channel......
Thats,one of the reason,why modern people are so ignorant.

I saw something about Finlandia having parties as the summer nights never end....it looked amazingly beautiful!!!
11th August 2006 04:34 PM
marko Oh Marc,maybe we should start sending e-mail whats a good
cd,iīll send you those KENT(swedish band) cdīs,as soon as
i can.
next time i get there,take some time on BARS and great record stores!
11th August 2006 04:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot You ARE missing out on a lot.

But I have a feeling that you will always compare everything that you hear to Mick Taylor era Stones...and obviously everything will fall short. Nothing compares to that my man, nothing. But it shouldn't HAVE to compare because it isn't that...you know what I'm saying?

Drinking helps.

Just kick back with some hootch, and just let the music be music. Don't compare it to anything. Just let the beat catch you and go with it. Like anything else, some stuff you'll like...some stuff you won't. Just try to keep an open mind.

Then, once you have found a few things that you like...see who THEY like, and check them out. Repeat process.

Enjoy.
11th August 2006 04:44 PM
marko my friend,i donīt compare nothing to stones,no point to?
To me stones were more a live band.......
I want music,which does not sound stones,zep,beatles etc..
music can have HINTS from their own heroes,there are bands
who sounds like their own,own sound.Own groove,some hints
of their own heroes.
But i donīt like at all;Black groves or any of that era,style....its a copycat,to me.
U know what iīm talkin about.
Then again,i live in Finland...........so al the good thnigs doesnīt show up.
11th August 2006 04:44 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You ARE missing out on a lot.

But I have a feeling that you will always compare everything that you hear to Mick Taylor era Stones...and obviously everything will fall short. Nothing compares to that my man, nothing. But it shouldn't HAVE to compare because it isn't that...you know what I'm saying?

Drinking helps.

Just kick back with some hootch, and just let the music be music. Don't compare it to anything. Just let the beat catch you and go with it. Like anything else, some stuff you'll like...some stuff you won't. Just try to keep an open mind.

Then, once you have found a few things that you like...see who THEY like, and check them out. Repeat process.

Enjoy.

Maybe when you have some spare time you can send me a CD of music other than the Stones worth listening to....
11th August 2006 04:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot LOL Marko!!!

I was talking to JB!!

No my man, I know that you have an open mind.

Next time you are here, we'll hit a club show or two, and some used record stores. That'll be #1 on the list.

JB...go to CDBaby and buy the Novaks album. Just trust me. It's only $10.00...
11th August 2006 04:52 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
LOL Marko!!!

I was talking to JB!!

No my man, I know that you have an open mind.

Next time you are here, we'll hit a club show or two, and some used record stores. That'll be #1 on the list.

JB...go to CDBaby and buy the Novaks album. Just trust me. It's only $10.00...

No r/s to Bob Novak?(very hostile to Israel).
11th August 2006 04:54 PM
marko LOL mate,looks like we all wrote at the same time....
Still,finding GOOD music here is difficult,,,,and now the
fucking bastards are closing the ONLY radio channel which
plays everything,only place where i could get hints.......
but no.
11th August 2006 05:13 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Like Pdog...I can't even begin to list all the new stuff i listen to.

i knew you would like The Novaks. When I first heard them you and 2000 Man popped into my head, and I thought, these guys would love this!
Len Price 3 is powerpop at it's finest!
11th August 2006 05:16 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

No r/s to Bob Novak?(very hostile to Israel).

Jb trust me, The Novaks are really great, best band I've heard in sometime, that no one knows about.
Very Stonesy w/o imitating or ripping them off. There is one line in a song that kinda steals from BTMMR, lookin' like shit feelin' well, I think is how it goes. I consider it a tribute line.
11th August 2006 05:38 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

Jb trust me, The Novaks are really great, best band I've heard in sometime, that no one knows about.
Very Stonesy w/o imitating or ripping them off. There is one line in a song that kinda steals from BTMMR, lookin' like shit feelin' well, I think is how it goes. I consider it a tribute line.

that sounds like a solid recomendation if I ever heard one.

I am now going to buy the Novaks album on iTunes and start drinking heavily. I will post a review on monday.
11th August 2006 05:44 PM
SheRat
quote:
jb wrote:
I am missing out on a lot, and I would like to start drinking again ...

This is very promising. I say you should fly me and LJ down to Boca Raton and we'll all go for lap dances.

I'f you're off the wagon, it's best to learn how to walk with the pros...
11th August 2006 05:46 PM
SheRat
quote:
pdog wrote:

i knew you would like The Novaks. When I first heard them you and 2000 Man popped into my head, and I thought, these guys would love this!
Len Price 3 is powerpop at it's finest!

I am insulted that neither of you are seconding my recommendations.
11th August 2006 05:48 PM
Saint Sway on a somewhat related note, I went to 5 bars last night and cranked Stones on every single jukebox.

I spoke to my accountant today to see if I could write off the evening if I filed it under Community Service.
11th August 2006 05:48 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
on a somewhat related note, I went to 5 bars last night and cranked Stones on every single jukebox.

I spoke to my accountant today to see if I could write off the evening if I filed it under Community Service.

We need to drink together!
11th August 2006 05:59 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

We need to drink together!

no doubt. I want to party at the Loving Cup!
11th August 2006 06:06 PM
marko we alll need to drink together,but how we manage that?
11th August 2006 06:09 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
marko wrote:
we alll need to drink together,but how we manage that?

I drink everyday. So its never a problem scheduling any drinking type activities into my calendar.
11th August 2006 06:25 PM
Joey
quote:
marko wrote:
we alll need to drink together,but how we manage that?

Nanky ?!

11th August 2006 06:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Marko...can you get Sirius satellite radio in Finland? If you can, you should get it. It's really great.

I think you & I should have a program on Channel 98, Rolling Stones Radio. The Stonesy Twins Bootleg Bonanza Show!!
11th August 2006 06:37 PM
mrhipfl does anyone here listen to American Minor? You guys should really check them out. Rock N' roll in its finest form. http://www.americanminormusic.com/index_main.html (wait till the song starts playing)

Silvertide is another really great band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKJQJ80gJVE you gotta love the screaming before the solo. Saint Sway, I think you would like them a lot. Their vocalist sounds like the one from the crowes.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
11th August 2006 06:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry SheRat, I didn't mean to slight you...you know I'm a fan of Piss & The Devil's Own. And SOB are the bomb...but for JB? I dunno. It's a little too country for him doncha think?

We gotta ease him slowly back into things, IMO...I don't wanna overload and overwhelm right away. I think eventually he'll get there though, if we all coach him along slowly.
11th August 2006 07:07 PM
SheRat
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Sorry SheRat, I didn't mean to slight you...you know I'm a fan of Piss & The Devil's Own. And SOB are the bomb...but for JB? I dunno. It's a little too country for him doncha think?

We gotta ease him slowly back into things, IMO...I don't wanna overload and overwhelm right away. I think eventually he'll get there though, if we all coach him along slowly.

yes, but there are other people reading this thread...
11th August 2006 11:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah that's true. I got to talking to JB and I kinda forgot about that.

Sorry.

SheRat is dead right though people. If you are looking for some cool new sounds to fill yer brain...you can't go wrong with The Devil's Own, or I Can Lick Any Son Of A Bitch In The House. I listen to both bands often. Especially when I'm drinkin' whiskey. And when I'm not drinkin' whiskey, and I spin those discs, I wanna start drinkin' whiskey immediately.

It's that kind of music. The best kind IMO...it's rock n roll.
11th August 2006 11:52 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
SheRat wrote:
The Devil's Own

http://www.myspace.com/thedevilsown

I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch in the House

http://www.myspace.com/icanlickanysonofabitchint

The Drive by Truckers

http://www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers

Jeffrey Luck Lucas

http://www.myspace.com/jeffreylucklucas

What She Rat said
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)