ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mysterious 1978 Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-04-03 07:08 AM
Jumacfly Good choice guys!!
definitely my fav bootlegs!!
such a high energy,the greatest rythm section , and sharped guitars..and a Drunk mick: explosive cocktail!!

Enjoy guys!! (disc 4: tumbling dice: great stage moment!!)
08-04-03 09:11 AM
marko oh i forgot to mention that chicago boot is called:tight
dresses&tampax
08-04-03 09:54 AM
jb I had the opportunity to see the Stones in 75 at the Gator Bowl(my first Stones concert) and in 78 on Mick's birthday at I believe was the old Oakland Raider stadium. I remember the Stadium was packed with about 78,000 and the set was mostly "Some Girls" which was the huge album that summer. As I was only 16, I did not really appreciate what I was seeing ....what was interesting, was it was a day time concert and I believe the Doobie Brothers opened....
08-04-03 10:31 AM
Boomy Ya know, it must have been great to see the Stones in '78. I mean, the Stones just played back then. Didn't care about technical matters and didn't care if it was perfect.

They just played the music loud and hard. Now, they are so afraid for the audience to hear those mistakes, they have the guitars turned down, and have a keyboard player turned up and he directs the show. Partly because the audience pays so much, I guess they want it to be perfect, but it never is.
08-04-03 10:33 AM
jb I think yout right....the fact that they always missed keys, etc made it all the more enjoyable..however, today, since they really can't play anymore, they cover the guitar sounds with horns,chuck, LIsa and Bernard, and whatever else to cover up the lack of playing ability..
08-04-03 10:35 AM
Boomy But why in '89 did they decide to abandon the old Rolling Stones?

Why did they want back up singers, many horn players??
08-04-03 10:39 AM
jb Lack of playing cohesively for 7-8 years...Keith and Ronnie really declined from 81-89, Mick's need to compete with the new commercial acts, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...play it safe, make it family friendly, etc...
08-04-03 11:21 AM
mac_daddy marko - thanks for all the information. we should compare notes one day about "remastering" the bootlegs. I do it, too, and we could probably fill pages and threads talking about the stuff. If you are interested in trading, please send me a PM...

jb - I thought you were a Floridian, not a fellow Californian. Anyway, thanks for the memories - it is great to read about these shows. I was in grade school when I snuck out to go and catch the band at the LA Coliseum for the Tattoo You show, but that was like 3 years after the 78 jaunt, of which I was aware, but was not allowed to attend.
08-04-03 11:32 AM
jb I am a Floridian...however, that summer we vacationed in San Francisco and my older cousin who lives in Marin County took me to the show....it was my 2nd Stones concert and I was in awe.
08-04-03 11:55 AM
Nasty Habits The Greensboro show was released on vinyl as Southern Quotations.
08-04-03 12:02 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The Greensboro show was released on vinyl as Southern Quotations.

thanks for the info - has anyone done a digital transfer of this?
08-04-03 01:30 PM
marko No,mine is only copied from the vinyl.But,the way i remaster
shows,i use 20 channel graphiq equalizer(harman&kardon),it
is analog,and i actually prefer analog,its never phony,and
it sounds allways real.
It took some time to to use equalizer right,now i´m very good at it.Most of the boots are mastered the same way
actually,theres no much difference.Mac-daddy,how much you
remember La-81 shows,,i have both on cd.
08-04-03 01:53 PM
steel driving hammer Anything by Harmon Kardon is top of the line equipment.

Never use it as a drink coaster, not even for a moment.

Btw, Mick says to the audience on LA 81 between songs, "I wanna come down there and fuck you all, boys and girls"

Think I'll listen to that one tonight, it's been a while.

08-04-03 02:08 PM
marko shit mate,,i try to send your cd´s soon!
08-04-03 02:30 PM
steel driving hammer My Chicago Hotel brother, the last thing I want you to do is worry. Take care of your buisness first IE moving. Actually, I'm having a little trouble sorting and filing my bootlegs, I put them all in diff cases last week but their still all over the fucking place.

Stones boots are my pride and joy you know...Yes you do!

Hey too bad we both missed Toronto, here's pic that didn't make it on news...

Tits, beer, chips, salsa, sauna and Stones!

Also guess Charlie took a small vacation after Toronto...

Look at his face,

08-04-03 02:57 PM
marko yeah,storing cd´s IS a problem,we´re now looking for new
way to store them,,,,i just found from a catalog(ikea)very
nice cd storage shelf,there fits about 890 cd´s,but i need
2 of those,just for boots only.
08-04-03 03:58 PM
doo doo doo Dude I only have the first two discs of HG. Guess I gotta climb on this vine to have 'em all.

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. HardKnoxDurtySox
5. Zeeta
6. Zack
7. Partner in crime
8. doo doo doo dude

macdaddy, where in L.A. are you? Although I certainly don't mind waiting, let me know if special arangements can be made for a fellow Angeleno.

doo doo doo dude
08-05-03 08:16 AM
steel driving hammer You know some songs on this fan club disc have that "Internet wavy" feel to them.

Some songs are really good but others vary in sound quality.

But you gotta get it anyway...
08-05-03 01:07 PM
doo doo doo Dude Has this gone out yet? I'll just wait my turn like a good little boy...
08-05-03 06:27 PM
doo doo doo Dude mac daddy.

got your pm. thanks brutha
08-05-03 07:58 PM
jfk78 let me tell you about in philly 1978 at jfk it was hot and then it started raining mist and then the temp went to 102 at the show the stones sounded awful mick did not talk to the crowd at all they played a short set and then the crowd trashed the stage beer bottles and whiskey bottles too 2 feet high on the stage but you know what i fucking love it rock on...
08-07-03 10:15 AM
jb Philly got what it deserved...the most vile and disgusting "fans" a/k/a human feces anywhere in the country...They even cheered when Michael Irving was nearly paralyzed and lay sprawled out on that godforsaken concrete turf....

[Edited by jb]
08-07-03 12:59 PM
Factory Girl testing
08-07-03 01:43 PM
jb I'm sorry SS....
Page: 1 2 3