ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mysterious 1978 Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-02-03 08:01 PM
LadyJane the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. LadyJane

Who knocked me off of the list?

LadyJ.
08-02-03 08:17 PM
Gazza just to clear up a couple of things about the FM/soundboard recordings from 1978

King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast two Rolling Stones "in concert" specials. One was announced as being from "Memphis" and the other from "Lexington". As is the norm with KBFH broadcasts for some reason (see the 1973 and 1981 shows!) the "concerts" are actually compiled from several shows. "Memphis" only actually features two songs recorded from that concert in over 75 minutes of music ("Shattered" and "Hound dog"). The rest comes from shows in Houston and Detroit. Similarly, "Lexington" features only a few songs from that show with the remainder again coming from Houston and Detroit (some songs are repeated, others werent). It was also a shorter broadcast - an hour or so. The only song from the Stones set not broadcast was "Starfucker" for obvious reasons. ("Satisfaction wasnt braodcast either, but it wasnt performed on any of the four shows which were used) "handsome girls" features all the tracks recorded for KBFH - some of which were not included on the broadcast - spread over discs 3 and 4. The recordings arent taken from the broadcast but from the original tapes and have been remixed and remastered - theyre also unedited,so all the swearing during and between the songs are left in.

Discs 1 & 2 of "handsome girls" feature a previously incomplete soundboard of the Fort Worth concert. Before this release, only the opening six songs from this concert had circulated - taken from a pro-shot video source (the concert was filmed for another "ladies and gentlemen" tour film but was never released). A few of the songs from fort worth are repeated again on the end of disc two as filler in supposedly "remixed" form although I've yet to find anyone who can tell any significant difference.

the 3rd show of the tour , from Passaic, NJ on 14.6.78 was also circulated as a soundboard. the final song (SF Man) is incomplete because the taper had to pull his tape out of the mixing desk feed quite fast as he was about to get caught!! Its commonly bootlegged, most notably on the clasic vinyl "Garden State 78" double LP but I also have an original low generation source tape of this show (ie NOT copied off the vinyl but the tape used FOR the bootleg release) in slightly better quality.

Whats a bit confusing to me though is that in the mid 80's I received a tape in a trade called "DIR Recordings 1978 tour" which featured 90 mins of the KBFH recordings. No sources where listed so I checked them against the recordings of the "lexington" and "memphis" broadcasts I had to deteremine where each track came from. Surprisingly, a few of them were from the Passaic show,so maybe it was recorded for radio as well but not used?

if you check the notes below each setlist on my setlists page on this site ( http://www.rocksoff.org/1978.htm ) you'll see what songs from each show were broadcast on the KBFH recordings.

On video, theres very little apart from a few TV interviews and clips. Actual concert footage available is:

1) Chicago - 4 songs. Raw news footage (1 camera from the side) filmed by NBC. Only snippets were actually broadcast

2) New Orleans - full show. Two-camera mix, but not as visually appealing as it sounds. Very hard to find in decent quality though.

3) Fort worth - first 6 songs - as mentioned above. pro-shot. great up close footage. The pick of the bunch if you can find it in good quality.

I personally like this tour very much. yes,theres some very rough and ready shows, and the concerts were very short (usually around 80 minutes which was surprising considering the 1975/76 and 1981/82 tours either side of it were significantly longer in length) but when they were on form on this tour, they were as great as anything from 1969 and 1973. "Handsome girls" is definitely the one to get. Pick that up plus Passaic (more for its sound quality than performance quality) and youve got all you need. But theres a few other good shows too. I personally like the one from Tucson even though its just a decent audience recording.
08-02-03 08:44 PM
throbby Nice post Gazza!
08-02-03 09:15 PM
nankerphelge Yes indeed!
08-02-03 09:16 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief

Who knocked me off of the list?

LadyJ.

I'll knock you off the list because I offered to make a seperate copy just for you, Lady Jane (so you don't need to sign up for the permavine)...
08-02-03 09:23 PM
Kjell luridchief
send me your email
[email protected]
cheers
08-03-03 07:34 AM
J.J.Flash Mac Daddy, this list of 5 names, what does it means? If I add my name in the list, so will you copy the Handsome Girls (4 disc) to me?!? And what should I do? What we must do? What's our part on this deal? I don't have a CD recorder at this time. Anyway, I'm very interested. Let me know what I should do, because I always dreamed about that Handsome Girls.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-03-03 07:41 AM
J.J.Flash 0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. J.J.Flash

Now?! Should I send this list for you?
08-03-03 08:09 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Mac Daddy, this list of 5 names, what does it means? If I add my name in the list, so will you copy the Handsome Girls (4 disc) to me?!? And what should I do? What we must do? What's our part on this deal? I don't have a CD recorder at this time. Anyway, I'm very interested. Let me know what I should do, because I always dreamed about that Handsome Girls.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]

the list of names is the list that the handsome girls set gets mailed to -> I send it to the first person, that person copies the discs for him/herself, and sends the discs I made to the next person on the list, who copies them, and sends the originals to the next person, etc. Anybody may participate (read "sign up"), and there is no time-limit. The only stipulation is that you have a way to record CDs, so in your case, the vine is not a viable option (which is why I removed your name from the list below)...

Maybe (read "Hopefully") there is someone on the list who, in addition to making copies for him/herself, would make a copy for you. If nobody on the list steps up to do this for you, shoot me a PM and I will hook you up.

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief

CD artwork:
d1+d2 front d1+d2 back d3+d4 front d3+d4 back
08-03-03 08:50 AM
Stonesprofessor I believe that discs 3&4 [memphis] the band is a touch sharper,than on 1&2--Ft Worth was after Wyman had fallen and sprained a couple of fingers pretty bad in Minneapolis,and think his playing is touch more tentative at Ft Worth,not quite plucking as hard..whereas in Memphis he seems much more sure of himself....just a thought..but listen for it..
08-03-03 09:14 AM
J.J.Flash Thanks Mac Daddy. You are kind-hearted. But don't worry with me. And sorry for my full ignorance on this theme.
When I can do my copies with my own recorder, I'll trade with you.
Thanks again! You are very kind.
Regards!
Have a good sunday
08-03-03 09:15 AM
nankerphelge There is definitely more get up and go in 3 & 4 -- and Keith & Ronnie just tap into it and run!! It's magic hearing that band firing on all of 'em.

Fort Worth has its own personality -- sloppy yet holding it together. Both Keith and Ronnie seem out of step -- maybe that was Mick's reference to "all night fuckin'"???

But it has been awhile since I listened to it.
I had better get my facts straight and listen to it again!
Play some pool.
Get hooched up!

I dug out all my Stones tickets from all my concerts today.
And all the concert stuff -- paper rose petals (Had the real thing from '81 until it molded!), sniny glitter and tissue paper from B2B and the stringy stuff from No Security!

I have been called by a higher force to build a Wall of Stonesia in the pool room!!

08-03-03 09:42 AM
mac_daddy I always liked 3 and 4 better than 1 and 3, but that is the point of those uber-concerts? At least they are (in this case, more than) complete, not condensed (which is all we get from the commercial releases, and for the life of me I will never understand why). Unfortunately, Isnt D Kershaw only on D1 and D2? I had no idea Bill had fallen and hurt his hand (picking or fretting?). I do know that I play 3 and 4 for people as an example of how good Bill was, so I know I liked the sound on those discs a little better...

Another example of this uberconcert thing is how Disc 3 and 4 of Ride like the wind are more fun (to me, anyway) than the Tempe show. There are a couple more - Dandelion and Rattlesnake seem to go that route with their box sets: focus on a concert and then do an uber-concert, along with rareties as filler...

I can't tell much difference between the remixes, either. Sometimes they stand out - like comparing Timeless to Brussels Definitive - but I don't hear (or see in the spectagraph(sic)) much with the filler tracks on d2...

JJFlash - these things (vines) SHOULD work this way; it is a group effort. When you have a CD burner, it is NO BIG DEAL to burn an extra copy for someone else, so it is not alot to expect or ask. There is NO way, after reading (twice) in this thread about how much you want this set, that it is going out to the group with you not getting a copy. It is just a question of who steps up and makes that copy for you, and like I said, I will do it if nobody else does

nankerphelge - have fun building you "Stones Wall" I would love to see some pics when you are finished.
08-03-03 09:49 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
JJFlash - these things (vines) SHOULD work this way; it is a group effort. When you have a CD burner, it is NO BIG DEAL to burn an extra copy for someone else, so it is not alot to expect or ask. There is NO way, after reading (twice) in this thread about how much you want this set, that it is going out to the group with you not getting a copy. It is just a question of who steps up and makes that copy for you, and like I said, I will do it if nobody else does

Man, you are very kind. I'm shy now! But thank you very much Mac, but I don't wanna bother you fella.
Cheers!
08-03-03 10:09 AM
steel driving hammer Nice read Gazza, thanks.

I have Tucson 7.21.78.

I'll will give it another listen...

I like it when people tell what certain shows they like because I go back and listen for that special something I may have missed the first time.

Especially w/ high volume Stones people like Gazza and Marko.

08-03-03 10:13 AM
mac_daddy my copy of Memphis (Some girls are bigger) has skips at the end, and I do not have Passaic (garden state), but if someone want to contribute clean copies of both, we can include them with the 4 Handsome girls discs, and make this a nice 78 tour package. I also would like to include the Tucson show (that Gazza mentions), as I have never heard that one. Does anybody here have these titles?
_____

sdh - did you get my PM (a while back) in regards to a trade?
08-03-03 10:46 AM
LadyJane
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I'll knock you off the list because I offered to make a seperate copy just for you, Lady Jane (so you don't need to sign up for the permavine)...

How sweet!! Thank you SO MUCH!!

Nice to know chivalry isn't dead after all!!

LadyJ.

08-03-03 11:23 AM
throbby Hey mac_daddy, I can send you a copy of Garden State '78. PM w/your mailing address.
08-03-03 02:01 PM
marko Tucson show is more likely for completists,,,,and JJF,the
final song is missing.Linda Ronstandt was special guest on
Tumbling dice.
Besides Ft.worth,killer 78 shows were,but this is just my
opinion.
Washington,,great club gig,even with power break on encore!
New York,a but sloppy,but i love it,with Peter tosh
Greensboro,killer when the whip comes down
Chicago,great show,i think the longest from 78
Detroit,,,ex show,Let it rock is on handsome girls,disc 3.

i also like Myrtle beach,but quality is quite bad.
if you need infos from 81-82,,,,iīm waiting.
08-03-03 03:19 PM
Stonesprofessor Mac- FYI about Bill...After the Minneapolis show, as the band was coming off stage,Bill kinda leaped [!] a little to slap some fans hands,and when he came down,fell thru a faux apron on the runway..injuring the pinkie and ring fingers on his right hand..after getting them taped up,he played the next night in St Louis [by ALL acccounts a dreadful show btw..],and managed to adapt enough to get thru the rest of the tour...Wyman claims that the fingers still hurt him as late as 81...
08-03-03 04:03 PM
mac_daddy stonesprofessor and marko - thanks for the information...

so in addition to Tuscon, I need to be seeking the 1978 shows in Washington, New York (I am a big Tosh fan), Greensboro, Chicago, and Detroit...

are there any particular titles (particular boots of the shows listed above) that you guys prefer?
08-03-03 08:35 PM
souldoggie Ok Kahoosier and Sammy Davis Jr, I was at that Cleveland 78 show also. And you guys pretty much summed it up for me. Wild party with lots of drugs. I remember pulling into Cleveland listening to WMMS who were hosting a "Stones Orgy" as they called it. Non-stop Stones songs with live reports like "the Stones have arrived at the airport" and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure I recorded some of that radio broadcast, I know I recorded that whole concert on my Sony cassette stereo mic boombox.

I also filmed 12 minutes of the show with my Brownie Super-8, which is why I remember that guy on the motocycle above the stage, I've a few seconds of film of it. The film also shows a few seconds of Kansas and then some footage of Tosh on stage getting pelted with debris.

Jagger and company were completely berserk that day, and that show remains one of my favorites. Loved that whole tour. I ended up seeing five shows. I think people forget how the Stones had become somewhat unfashionable after Black and Blue and Love You Live and that album really put them back on top. And the boys new they were back on top, they loved it, they were having a blast, and they kicked ass on that tour.
08-04-03 12:40 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox 0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. HardKnoxDurtySox

Thank you! I've been wanting to get a copy of this for awhile now.

08-04-03 01:55 AM
marko Mac-daddy....those boots are actually hard to find,but i
can help you,maybe,because iīm moving in next 2 weeks,probaply,well before 31st of august!
New York,not released on official boot
washington,welcome to washington,VGP records
Greensboro,only old vinyl boot exist,donīt remember the name
detroit,only cdr boot.

i have personally remastered mine(all my cdrīs are)...i
really like washington.
08-04-03 04:09 AM
Zeeta 0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. HardKnoxDurtySox
5. Zeeta

Let me know what I gotta do!?

My mail: [email protected]

Matt

[Edited by Zeeta]
08-04-03 04:27 AM
Moonisup good choice from you all, to get this one,

it's worth it!!
08-04-03 05:27 AM
Zack Can you please count me in? I've been jonesing for HG for years now stuck in deepest darkest Africa.

Thanks,

Zack

[email protected]
08-04-03 05:31 AM
Zack
Sorry, I fucked up my email address.

[email protected]

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
4. HardKnoxDurtySox