ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mysterious 1978 Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-01-03 07:57 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy So much is said about either the '75 (Year Of The Bottom-Pincher) or '81 (The Last Great Wonder) tours that I never hear much about '78. The few pictures I've seen from it are pretty terrifying. Mick in *thick thick* makeup, Keith beginning the Aging Process by kicking smack (which results in him aging forty years over the space of ten), Ronnie looking absolutely trashed and loving it, Charlie and Bill being... umm... Charlie and Bill.

Musically, how was the '78 tour? It didn't last that long, did it, 'cuz Keith and Ronnie had to go on tour with the New Barbarians. Was it a postponed extension of the '75 tour due to The Bust?

What was it? How was it? It looks to me, in my totally uneducated opinion, that the Stones collapsed under their own image, in terms of putting on terribly sloppy shows in keeping with their terribly sloppy images. Then '81 was just... umm... weird with good music, then World War III happened and that was that.

-tSYX --- Hang fire, hang fire, put it onna wire, baby...
08-01-03 08:00 PM
Gimme Shelter What was a typical setlist for the '78 tour? Anybody know?
08-01-03 08:03 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
What was a typical setlist for the '78 tour? Anybody know?

Our man Gazza does.

http://www.rocksoff.org/1978.htm

-tSYX --- Unh! Shidoobee... Shattered...
08-01-03 08:04 PM
Boomy here is something, too:

http://www.frayed.org/1978.html
08-01-03 08:06 PM
nankerphelge I can't tell ya much about the '78 tour other than my parents refused to let me go. But Stoney gave me Handsome Girls and in my opinion, I think it is some of the most amazing Stones to ever grace this Earth. I think the combo of Keith playing semi-compos-mentis, Ronnie in his hey-day + coming off Some Girls (most of which made it into the setlist) -- well everyone has their own prefs but I think they were peaking.

That tour was only about a month long, and from others' eyewitness accounts was a "sloppy" on-again/off-again tour. It is not given much press on A Life on the Road or other books.

But I love it!
08-01-03 09:01 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I can't tell ya much about the '78 tour other than my parents refused to let me go. But Stoney gave me Handsome Girls and in my opinion, I think it is some of the most amazing Stones to ever grace this Earth. I think the combo of Keith playing semi-compos-mentis, Ronnie in his hey-day + coming off Some Girls (most of which made it into the setlist) -- well everyone has their own prefs but I think they were peaking.

That tour was only about a month long, and from others' eyewitness accounts was a "sloppy" on-again/off-again tour. It is not given much press on A Life on the Road or other books.

But I love it!

Surely you have Handsome Girls, don't you ZIGG?

If not, someone should grace you -- it's quite the glorious batch of chaos. I have to agree with Nankeroo's descrip 100%. Based solely on the shows represented by the Handsome Girls discs it's an all time champ -- the fact that they were willing to play their latest album pretty much in its entirety in the middle of the show night after night is genius, more songs from SG than from Exile '72, Let It Bleed '69, Tatt '81, like that. It is imprecise banging stuff -- Jagger is really punking out (you got to hear him do Johnny Rotten doing "Just My Imagination" -- SHE DOESN'T FUCK-ING KNOW ME! AAAH!), Keith is bashing and thrashing (lots of crazy maybe they will maybe they wont fake ends to JJF), he and Ronnie are constantly exchanging things that aren't quite rhythm and aren't quite lead (they calls it weeve) and the rhythm section is just at the top of their game. Charlie never played faster or wilder and Bill is one of the world's funkiest white men, although Bill probably peaks in '81. Stu & Mac (boogie woogie woogie woogie down!) are the only extra sounds from the stage except for a guest sax on one version of Miss You and a fiddle player (Doug Kershaw) who doesn't quite know what he's doing (You play here Doug) on one version of Far Away Eyes. Loose, wild, funny, arrogant as all git out, insanely rock and roll. No really long songs, no musicianly jamerating, no concessions to anything but rock rock rock and roll. Maybe the best opening number to a Stones show ever, too. The direct antithesis of the Mick Taylor years and just as good. Chuck Berry meets the Sex Pistols to have pigs in the farm yard. Yum! Yum! Better than 75, realer than '81, and funnier than '69. What more could you want? And those pics of Mick? That shit ain't grim -- that's hilarious! Love that hat! Love that tearaway t-shirt! Love that ass!

Can I get some shoes for my feet?
08-01-03 09:08 PM
nankerphelge Yeah - shoes!

That shot of Mick in Anaheim (I think) surrounded by all sort of shoes (including a Chuckie T All-Star, incidently) is great!

I also have the '78 rehearsals -- are there any other good '78 things to be aware of??

08-01-03 09:10 PM
throbby Ditto on what Nanker says. Savage Young One you must listen to "Handsome Girls" or "Garden State '78". The Stones were competing with the punks on that tour. In a Rolling Stone article during the tour Mick is quoted "Punk, punk, punk. We're a punk band, one of the few."

This tour was my introduction to the live Stones. Quite a day. A very heavy and ballsy sound hit my ears in June of '78. Interesting what Mick said that year at the NJ theatre show a few days before I saw them. "I take my hat off to you lot. I don't know how much you had to pay for the fuckin' tickets, but I didn't have to pay much"
08-01-03 09:35 PM
mac_daddy as far as boots go, I agree with what has been said HAndsome Girls is an excellent bootleg. Discs 3 and 4 of that set are among the best live Stones sets out there. all of the tunes that have been mentioned in this thread are awesome, but my personal favorite has to be Love in Vain!

Garden State and Memphis (some girls are bigger...) are two other boots from that tour that are good...

there is also a video out that is supposed to be pretty good from Ft Worth (I think)...

maybe I should do Handsome Girls as the next permavine (the FanClub Licks goes out in tomorrow's mail). I'll send it to the savage one first
08-01-03 10:34 PM
LadyJane Will one of you guys/gals PLEASE get me a copy (or tell me how) of Handsome Girls.

I saw them in '78, but it was so damn long ago that I can hardly remember. Old age and lots of chiba do that to you, TSYK. LOL

I just remember the show featured some kick ass versions of virtually all of the "Some Girls" tracks..Shattered, Respectable, When the Whip, Far Away Eyes......I gotta hear that album immediately.

Time to make a cocktail, fill a bowl, and put on the headphones.

LadyJ.
08-01-03 10:49 PM
Kjell
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
What was a typical setlist for the '78 tour? Anybody know?

Let It Rock
All Down The Line
Honky Tonk Women
Star Star
When The Whip Comes Down
Miss You
Lies
Beast Of Burden
Shattered
Just My Imagination
Respectable
Far Away Eyes
Love In Vain
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Hound Dog
Sweet Little Sixteen
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
08-01-03 11:02 PM
mac_daddy Lady Jane: it is yours - do you want FLAC(3) or audio(4) discs? do you have a trade list, or is this gonna be a freebie..?
_____

I guess I will start a permavine, too - the Savage one gets the top spot if he wants in...
08-02-03 01:43 AM
sammy davis jr. I saw the boys in '78- Municipal Stadium, Cleveland. It was a wierd scene for sure...drugs being sold in the open for blocks around the stadium. My best memory of the day was the guy who rode up a giant steel cable that went from the ground to all across the football field to the top of the stadium on a motorcycle. It was a freaking circus I tell ya! I can't even remember who opened for the Stones that day- it was either Peter Tosh or Prince- or both.
08-02-03 01:55 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy mac_daddy, it would be a pleasure. I'll send you four blanks ASAP.

I simply must hear this tour, apparently.

*Especially* because *every single fucking show* contains "All Down The Line".

-tSYX --- We gonna bust bust bust...
08-02-03 02:24 AM
marko haa ha guys,i gues you never heard Boulder-78 or even Philly
78?have you?You guys NEED to hear them,,,so fucking awful.
08-02-03 03:06 AM
mac_daddy no blanks needed...

Savage - send me your mailing address in a PM.

the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
08-02-03 04:43 AM
marko Kjell,they did hound dog only in Membis&Lexinton.
08-02-03 05:34 AM
kahoosier Hey sammy davis, I was there in Cleveland in '78 also. As I remember there was a police man's strike on. And you are right, drugs were everywhere. My freind and I split up on the walk through the lot to score, LOL, and it was only after the concert that we realized each of us had scored planty of hash and acid, but neither of us has remembered to save gas money for the 200 mile trip home! Oh those were thedays...or maybe not LOL!
Peter Tosh opened, I had forgotten the motorcycle, I have a boot of the concert...oh my God we have all gotten so old!
08-02-03 09:00 AM
LadyJane the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. LadyJane

Thank you so much macdaddy.

You have PM.

LadyJ.
08-02-03 09:05 AM
MRD8 I saw three shows on the '78 tour, opening night in Lakeland, Florida, THE worst Stones show I ever saw!) Fox Theater in Atlanta and New Orleans on July 13th...you have to remember this was at the height of the punk rock explosion, I think the Stones wanted to "out punk" the punks! The best boots from this tour are Passaic and Memphis...they are both untouched soundboards...Handsome Girls was a King Biscuit Flower Hour that obviously was overdubbed by the Stones since they knew they weren't going to release an official luve album from that tour...it only played the States...no shows in Europe or anyplace else...they were great shows to see because they were rough and sloppy...not the Vegas act they have been since '89!
08-02-03 09:29 AM
steel driving hammer
08-02-03 12:15 PM
marko And once again.MEMBHIS is NOT a sbd recording,only 2songs
available,FM broadcast quality.
08-02-03 02:28 PM
J.J.Flash I have Memphis 78 which was broadcast (King Biscuit Flower Hour) and I noticed that there is the very same version of Hound Dog from that in Handsome Girls, but, BUT......... the sound quality of Memphis (King Biscuit) is worse and there are some cut words like "Rolling Fuckin' Stones" and shit...........So tell me good Lord, tell me Jesus, why, why censured?!?!?
One of my dreams one of the biggest is one day I could have the Handsome Girls.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-02-03 03:37 PM
marko Hmmm,as much as i know and remember,that king bisquit
broadcast is actually from several show,like membhis,i think
Hound Dog&shattered,then songs from
Lexinton
Houston
Detroit

i think Gazza remembers more.Membhis is completely available
only on aud recording.
08-02-03 03:44 PM
J.J.Flash Hi Marko! How are you?
Well, I have a question: Is that Memphis 78 the same bootleg of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"?
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-02-03 04:09 PM
tumblingdice Yes, the Memphis 78 boot is the same as the Some Girls are bigger than others. Only Some girls are bigger seems to be the full show, or at least most of it while the Memphis 78 boot is partial show, opening with Miss you on that disc and leaving out several other songs.
08-02-03 04:11 PM
marko Well,yes.mostly the same songs as on the flower hour and
Lacerated,and that some girls are bigger than others.Same
songs mostly,in same order,taken from same cities.
these all are FM recordings and compilations of the tour.
You all get these songs also on HANDSOME GIRLS,which contains COMPLETE Ft.worth show in brilliant sbd quality.
However,handsome girls box,still misses 2 tracks from Lexinton,which were also broadcasted,but are very HARD to get.songs were b.sugar&jjf from Lexinton.
Those 2 songs were,or are still,available on very old vinyl
bootleg called "live from england",,,stupid name,since it was actually from usa 78 tour radio recordings.
08-02-03 05:03 PM
J.J.Flash Damn, I can't understand.......I have "Let It Rock" and "Hound Dog" in mp3 files from Handsome Girls and in the Memphis 78 (King Biscuit) there are the very same song but the quality is worse and some cut parts like when Mick says "shit" or "fuckin'"
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-02-03 06:34 PM
Kjell the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell

[email protected]
08-02-03 07:26 PM
luridchief the rest of you - just copy the list and sign up at the bottom...

0. macdaddy
1. TheSavageYoungXyzzy
2. Kjell
3. luridchief
Page: 1 2 3