ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Amsterdam - 31st July 2006
© PPTB Press with thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: stones jumped the shark with previous tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
1st August 2006 12:00 PM
Lethargy I saw a few gigs of the current tour, and enjoyed them as always. However, in my opinion, this tour doesn't have as much to offer as the previous tour (other than a new album, which is a big deal).

For me, on the previous tour, they jumped the shark with the 3-tours-at-once tour (stadium, arena, clubs). That was incredibly ambitious and original. Most impressive. They made themselves a hard act to follow with that one. This time around they have nothing really innovative going on (inflatables and seats on stage don't count). Hardly any arena shows or club shows, no major set list surprises.

What does anyone else think? Was the previous tour really the top for them?

1st August 2006 12:10 PM
Gazza yep...this is the Victory Lap tour
1st August 2006 12:14 PM
luxury1 I must stop visiting the Stones message boards. This is all too sad...
(unless, of course, their egos do not prevent them from touring arena/clubs from here on out)
1st August 2006 12:16 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yep...this is the Victory Lap tour

I beleive thast with all my heart...and it appears to be a bit untimely.
1st August 2006 12:17 PM
Some Guy the bandwagon is experiencing a mass exodus.
1st August 2006 12:17 PM
jb
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I must stop visiting the Stones message boards. This is all too sad...
(unless, of course, their egos do not prevent them from touring arena/clubs from here on out)

YOu shall be missed...regards to Throabster.
1st August 2006 12:18 PM
Gazza I think thats the crux of it, Luxy

Will their egoes allow them to come down a peg or two and settle for less revenue (ie smaller audiences)? If they cant do that, the only alternative is not to tour at all, unfortunately.

Theyre facing a situation theyve never been in before. Theyre so used to selling places out fast, including stadiums - that this leaves them with a new dilemma.
1st August 2006 12:18 PM
pdog
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I must stop visiting the Stones message boards. This is all too sad...

All that's really left to enjoy is the true fans I was blessed to meet!
Like You and many others!
1st August 2006 12:27 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think thats the crux of it, Luxy

Will their egoes allow them to come down a peg or two and settle for less revenue (ie smaller audiences)? If they cant do that, the only alternative is not to tour at all, unfortunately.

Theyre facing a situation theyve never been in before. Theyre so used to selling places out fast, including stadiums - that this leaves them with a new dilemma.

The issue is still money....the Stones will make money as the stadiums are less costly, even 1/2 to 3/4 full..the real issues is ego..can they or will they want to play to so many empties...and you know the media will have a field day with it.
1st August 2006 12:29 PM
LadyJane This is perhaps the saddest thread I have ever read since joining RO.

LJ.
1st August 2006 12:30 PM
pdog There's no lying in this thread LJ... Let's hope they don't cancel the tour!
1st August 2006 12:38 PM
Nellcote Get A Grip!
All are too dismissive of the achievements.
Needless worry & conjecture about how they are perceived.
Follow my advice, you will thank me later
You will enjoy each other's company pre-show
You will attend the concert.
You will enjoy each other's company post-show.
You will leave satisfied.
As, you know there is no other band currently standing which has the legacy, is still playing.
Do they care about all of this poppycock?
No.
Neither should you.
Unless you have the ability to influence them.
Get on with your life, as your next eyeblink it could be over.
The Stones are to be enjoyed for what they are,
The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band ever known to man.

We now return you to regular programming, or the beach.
1st August 2006 12:39 PM
pdog If they can't sell tickets, will they cancel US shows? I say they will!
1st August 2006 12:40 PM
Scottfree
quote:
pdog wrote:
There's no lying in this thread LJ... Let's hope they don't cancel the tour!

What happened to the clitoral stimulation avatar...Certainly my fave....
1st August 2006 12:42 PM
pdog
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

What happened to the clitoral stimulation avatar...Certainly my fave....

I was concerned it would get too many complaints!
1st August 2006 04:03 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
IFor me, on the previous tour, they jumped the shark with the 3-tours-at-once tour (stadium, arena, clubs). That was incredibly ambitious and original. Most impressive. They made themselves a hard act to follow with that one. This time around they have nothing really innovative going on (inflatables and seats on stage don't count). Hardly any arena shows or club shows, no major set list surprises.

The Licks tour was a hard act to follow. It was ambitious, unique and cool and that tour was a highlight for me personally...But the Stones are the Stones--I love them no matter what they play, no matter where they play.

I finally got to hear Sway this tour...And Worried About You (which I missed last tour).

The guitars have been turned up this tour!
1st August 2006 04:09 PM
not bound to please
quote:
pdog wrote:

I was concerned it would get too many complaints!

I liked that one. I complimented it. At least I have the balls to ream your arse on the board....
1st August 2006 09:49 PM
Soldatti They can't top the Licks tour, except a whole theater tour, let's say 20-25 dates.
1st August 2006 11:35 PM
deuce Reality is creeping in...
1st August 2006 11:38 PM
Tumblindice56 It is rather sad to see them go out this way...
2nd August 2006 01:00 AM
Bitch MICK specifically said at the Press Conference on May 10, 2005 that this was NOT the last tour. KEEF said he will play until he drops dead on the stage. I don't think they are concerned about making this the best tour, the last tour, the most varied setlist tour, or the most expensive ticket tour. I think they are just happy to still tour and play in whatever capacity because they still can and they love playing. They don't quit, they don't care if it isn't the same as it used to be, they just love to tour and I love them for the inspiration. That's why are they the greatest R&R band, because they continue to rock and roll in spite of the bumps in the road. So if they aren't selling out stadiums anymore, then they will downsize but I believe they will go on until they die.
2nd August 2006 07:15 AM
corgi37 They wont drop prices. Ever. They HAVE to do the massive shows because they feel the have to. Jagger wants to always be 1 step ahead of U2, but i cant see them matching them forever.

They cant do without the massive entourage for a start. But, i dont think they are alone. Stadium gigs will probably be a novelty in 5 years. There simply will be no major acts capable of filling a 50,000+ venue, or have the stage craft to do it.

Well, 1 band. Who knows if u2 will be around in 5 years?

Lets see. Probably no more Bon Jovi. Robbie Williams is a Euro act only. Coldplay? Nah. Green day? Nah. Chilli Peppers? Doubt it. Kiss? Christ, i they cant make girdles any bigger, surely! Madonna? Nah. Not enough gay people. And, there is no hip-hop-rap-crap act that can fill a stadium. Some cant even fill arena's, and if they do, they may manage 1 tour before being replaced. Britney's finished. Xtina & Janet Jackson. The Who?

There is no other bands coming through. So, in the future, sit ya kids on ya knee, pop in "LIVE LICKS VOL: 6" into the hologram, and tell the little tackers all about the time when there were stadiums gigs.
2nd August 2006 07:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
This is perhaps the saddest thread I have ever read since joining RO.

LJ.

Its a scenario entirely of the band's own making. No one else's. People have lives and bills to pay and cant be expected to jump every few months because the band and Cohl have found another new, more cynical and costlier way of bleeding them dry. Saying the ticket prices are less and then doubling the onstage 'seats in the next breath, not to mention charging people $700 for a field ticket and $300 for a nosebleed - then justifying it by renaming it "hotseat" and throwing in a laminate and a tacky gift? I mean, come on! There are limits to people's gullibility and blind stupidity.

Market saturation, over-familiarity or spiralling costs will all eventually make it an easier decision for most people. When it's all three combined, its very easy

I still enjoy the music, but if I were to keep this shit up, I'd honestly go bankrupt sooner rather than later.

Personally, reading threads where people have died or have had horrible things happen to them has been much sadder than the declining drawing power of a band caused solely by their own greed, but thats just me.
[Edited by Gazza]
2nd August 2006 07:51 AM
glencar It's been 44 years. It was never meant to go that long. This is all just whipped cream & I'm enjoying the hell out of it although the zing isn't anything like when I first saw them in 1981 when I was about half a mile away from the stage.
2nd August 2006 07:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
MICK specifically said at the Press Conference on May 10, 2005 that this was NOT the last tour. KEEF said he will play until he drops dead on the stage.

they and Cohl said quite a few things at that press conference which turned out to be utter bullshit, so I wouldnt put too much faith in that.

The thing is, I dont think when they launched the tour that they expected to struggle to sell tickets as much as they have. Its been a rude awakening for them.

Whether their egoes can allow themselves to admit theyve milked things one time too many and lower prices and play smaller places from now on is the thing. I'm personally not so sure that it will.
2nd August 2006 07:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's been 44 years. It was never meant to go that long. This is all just whipped cream & I'm enjoying the hell out of it although the zing isn't anything like when I first saw them in 1981 when I was about half a mile away from the stage.

yeah thats a pretty good analysis. We've got luckier than everyone else by the fact that the band we chose to follow outlasted everyone. Not many people can say that. Unless maybe theres a Four Tops message board that I'm unaware of...
2nd August 2006 07:58 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

yeah thats a pretty good analysis. We've got luckier than everyone else by the fact that the band we chose to follow outlasted everyone. Not many people can say that. Unless maybe theres a Four Tops message board that I'm unaware of...

Thanks. I just get so tired of that Puggy nonsense that I decided to get serious. If they realize that the "market" has changed & it's time to give it up or change things, they'll have gained wisdom. I can't see it personally.
2nd August 2006 08:41 AM
Jumping Jack Free market forces at work - that's a good thing!
2nd August 2006 08:49 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yep...this is the Victory Lap tour

Which is, if this is in fact the last tour, way overdue you must admit...
2nd August 2006 10:51 AM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
Bitch wrote:
MICK specifically said at the Press Conference on May 10, 2005 that this was NOT the last tour. KEEF said he will play until he drops dead on the stage.

That isn't out of the realm of possibility, unfortunately. I will see every show in my neck of the woods from now on.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)