ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Amsterdam - 31st July 2006
© PPTB Press with thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: stones jumped the shark with previous tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
2nd August 2006 11:13 AM
jb

This is it my friends..and off course they will never drop prices..it's been a very successful run.Since 89 they have made over 1.5 billion dollars in gross receipts, and through skilled accounting practices, have been able to shelter much of their personal income.
The music has long since become secondary. Honestly friends, has anything really moved you the way you felt when you first opened LIB, BB, SF, Exile, GHS and even up to and including Tattoo You? As much as I live for this band, and decry anyone outside our stones family who dares slag them, for me it's been disappointment after disappointement with the lack of really great, or quite frankly, even good, material .
. The core problem has been the lack of a cohesive working r/s b/t Mick and Keith for over 25 yrs, as well as the fact they haven't had to really produce anything great to keep the $$$"rolling" in....The tours have more than made up for average to slow album sales and they have achieved wealth beyond most of their contemporaries.
Keith often has said "we'll take this thing as long as people show up" and by in large, till now, it has worked. However, as they once penned "Time waits for no one" and in this case, timeshall not wait even for the greatest group we shall ever know.
I love this band and still spent a brinks truck worth of money to see them this tour, but it's been a while since I had that heart racing/pounding feeling I use to get as the lights went off and the band was about to hit the stage.Maybe it's b/c I have seen them so many times, maybe b/c it's the total lack of any significant changes to the sets, the lack of a killer single or album, but most of all, I think it's simply like they old saying "familiarity breeds contempt".
We have been blessed to see a band, that in all candor, had it's most productive period over 30 yrs ago..that is a testament to how fucking great they have been in concert and the fact that for many of us die hards it goes well beyond the music....they have toured virtually non-stop since 89, and with the exception of a unique club show (the # of which we could count on one hand), not much has changed, and in fact, some things have become painful to watch.
As I always say "they owe us nothing" and conversely, at this point in time, we also "owe them nothing". I hope they really do go out with ABB and the shows fill up and afford us one last opportunity to view what has been an incredible and unequaled run...

2nd August 2006 11:17 AM
Jumacfly Well said jb.
2nd August 2006 11:23 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Well said jb.

Thank youi Sir Fly. I am very pleased France had a trmendous tuen out. It was a nice way for them to go out Paris.
2nd August 2006 11:26 AM
throbby Well said JB.

Unfortunately, for me, the Stones were once an incredible live act who later made the decision that excess personal wealth mattered far more than their integrity.
2nd August 2006 11:26 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

Thank youi Sir Fly. I am very pleased France had a trmendous tuen out. It was a nice way for them to go out Paris.

I was very pleased to...reviews were good here, unlike most of dutchie ones (from what I ve read of course)
2nd August 2006 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Well said JB.

Unfortunately, for me, the Stones were once an incredible live act who later made the decision that excess personal wealth mattered far more than their integrity.

Hello Throbby...I trust I will still "greet you" in the lobby of the 4 Seasons. What a "bitch" getting a room this time.
[Edited by jb]
2nd August 2006 11:36 AM
pdog Great post Josh. I really like they owe us nothing we owe them nothing part... The thruth is, they owe it to themselves at this point to see what they got. They make their legacy that way. We owe it to ourselves to decide how much to spend and if it's worth it! I'm on the fence with everything, and I won't book a flight or a room until I know I'm in good seats...
2nd August 2006 11:42 AM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
Great post Josh. I really like they owe us nothing we owe them nothing part... The thruth is, they owe it to themselves at this point to see what they got. They make their legacy that way. We owe it to ourselves to decide how much to spend and if it's worth it! I'm on the fence with everything, and I won't book a flight or a room until I know I'm in good seats...

You shall be greeted ...hopefully a MSG date will materialize, but not until Giants sells better. ZOakland will be a nice show for you.
2nd August 2006 11:51 AM
Lethargy
quote:
jb wrote:

This is it my friends..and off course they will never drop prices..it's been a very successful run.Since 89 they have made over 1.5 billion dollars in gross receipts, and through skilled accounting practices, have been able to shelter much of their personal income.
The music has long since become secondary. Honestly friends, has anything really moved you the way you felt when you first opened LIB, BB, SF, Exile, GHS and even up to and including Tattoo You? As much as I live for this band, and decry anyone outside our stones family who dares slag them, for me it's been disappointment after disappointement with the lack of really great, or quite frankly, even good, material .
. The core problem has been the lack of a cohesive working r/s b/t Mick and Keith for over 25 yrs, as well as the fact they haven't had to really produce anything great to keep the $$$"rolling" in....The tours have more than made up for average to slow album sales and they have achieved wealth beyond most of their contemporaries.
Keith often has said "we'll take this thing as long as people show up" and by in large, till now, it has worked. However, as they once penned "Time waits for no one" and in this case, timeshall not wait even for the greatest group we shall ever know.
I love this band and still spent a brinks truck worth of money to see them this tour, but it's been a while since I had that heart racing/pounding feeling I use to get as the lights went off and the band was about to hit the stage.Maybe it's b/c I have seen them so many times, maybe b/c it's the total lack of any significant changes to the sets, the lack of a killer single or album, but most of all, I think it's simply like they old saying "familiarity breeds contempt".
We have been blessed to see a band, that in all candor, had it's most productive period over 30 yrs ago..that is a testament to how fucking great they have been in concert and the fact that for many of us die hards it goes well beyond the music....they have toured virtually non-stop since 89, and with the exception of a unique club show (the # of which we could count on one hand), not much has changed, and in fact, some things have become painful to watch.
As I always say "they owe us nothing" and conversely, at this point in time, we also "owe them nothing". I hope they really do go out with ABB and the shows fill up and afford us one last opportunity to view what has been an incredible and unequaled run...

They could have been filling EVERY stadium and gathering millions of new young fans, if only their ticket prices were lower. This is, in my opinion, their biggest mistake in judgement of the last 10 years.
2nd August 2006 11:54 AM
pdog
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

They could have been filling EVERY stadium and gathering millions of new young fans, if only their ticket prices were lower. This is, in my opinion, their biggest mistake in judgement of the last 10 years.

Take the avg. of the cost of tickets for a venue, sell all tickets at that price and sell them from front to back. Sales would be hot as hell! You could still keep some for fan club pre-sales and special packages.
With today's concert market this would actually be unique and truly retro approach to build the fans excitement when tix went on sale!
2nd August 2006 11:57 AM
throbby Hey JB! No Boston Four Seasons this time around. Didn't make any sense to drive 45 minutes from the hotel to the show. I'll bump into you on the floor of Gillette I'm sure.

Hey Pdog! Speaking of good seats. Why is it that TM (or is it the venue) still can't provide potential buyers with accurate seating charts? Number of rows in a section, direction of seat numbering in a row.

Funny, but at Giants the floor section numbering is reversed from last Sept. They are also making available side sections in the top two tiers that they did not think worth selling last year.
2nd August 2006 12:00 PM
pdog
quote:
throbby wrote:
Hey JB! No Boston Four Seasons this time around. Didn't make any sense to drive 45 minutes from the hotel to the show. I'll bump into you on the floor of Gillette I'm sure.

Hey Pdog! Speaking of good seats. Why is it that TM (or is it the venue) still can't provide potential buyers with accurate seating charts? Number of rows in a section, direction of seat numbering in a row.

Funny, but at Giants the floor section numbering is reversed from last Sept. They are also making available side sections in the top two tiers that they did not think worth selling last year.

I have no idea, but it does keep us excited stressed and on our toes!
2nd August 2006 12:03 PM
Some Guy jb is packing his A-game.
2nd August 2006 12:06 PM
pdog
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
jb is packing his A-game.

He is the most stimulating poster love or hate him, he raises the bar!

2nd August 2006 12:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
throbby wrote:

Post of the month
2nd August 2006 12:13 PM
Some Guy "There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it."

-Marsha Norman
2nd August 2006 12:15 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
jb is packing his A-game.

Better than packing fudge.

The Falcons ain't goin' nowhere! You's here's me?
2nd August 2006 12:20 PM
Some Guy
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Better than packing fudge.

The Falcons ain't goin' nowhere! You's here's me?

We did lose Finneran for the year, but made some smooth moves in the off season, if Vick is healthy we shall soon see.
2nd August 2006 12:25 PM
_Boomy_ Correct.

I am a Niners fan, so I know how it feels to "go nowhere".

It's a sad state of affairs in the Bay Area.
2nd August 2006 12:37 PM
Some Guy
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Correct.

It's a sad state of affairs in the Bay Area.

It will be a great season, we are damn close. I think a game is on this Sunday night!!
2nd August 2006 01:14 PM
pdog
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

2nd August 2006 05:05 PM
Paranoid_Android I feel everything said on this thread is pretty much true (or at least honestly stated). The only way to top 40 Licks and forget about this tour, a sub-par tour to say the least, would be a club tour...or as I have stated before in other threads...a B-stage tour...nice theatres...the better clubs in the US...Roseland/Beacon (NYC)...9:30/Warner(DC), Fillmore (SFO), Knight Center, (MIA), etc etc.

Playing like the band that they truley are...and not the spectacular they have become.

They can do it...the previuos club dates, Stripped, and secret shows all prove it!!!
2nd August 2006 05:11 PM
pdog
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
I feel everything said on this thread is pretty much true (or at least honestly stated). The only way to top 40 Licks and forget about this tour, a sub-par tour to say the least, would be a club tour...or as I have stated before in other threads...a B-stage tour...nice theatres...the better clubs in the US...Roseland/Beacon (NYC)...9:30/Warner(DC), Fillmore (SFO), Knight Center, (MIA), etc etc.

Playing like the band that they truley are...and not the spectacular they have become.

They can do it...the previuos club dates, Stripped, and secret shows all prove it!!!

Quoted for respect and damn right on truthiness!

2nd August 2006 05:46 PM
glencar The Take The Money & Run Tour is a huge bust! I'm just glad we ahve the freedom of speech to announce it on this board unlike say, SFJ...
2nd August 2006 06:23 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
pdog wrote:

Quoted for respect and damn right on truthiness!

Thank You...I am honored...
2nd August 2006 06:31 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
pdog wrote:

...and damn right on truthiness!

for those not in the know..

2nd August 2006 06:33 PM
glencar Colbert is funny but half an hour a night is stretching his talent.
2nd August 2006 06:35 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
glencar wrote:
Colbert is funny but half an hour a night is stretching his talent.

I must say I prefered his shorter segments while he was on the daily as well...
2nd August 2006 06:37 PM
glencar Yeah an entire hour of him & Stewart is too much.
2nd August 2006 06:39 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yeah an entire hour of him & Stewart is too much.

I don't really even watch either anymore, if there are any good segments they'll be posted on youtube.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)