ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Amsterdam - 31st July 2006
© PPTB Press with thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: stones jumped the shark with previous tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
2nd August 2006 07:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot It's very weird...I've been saying this same stuff for over a year, and I got all kinds of bashed for it.

But now it's "reality" and "sad truth" and "honesty".

I guess I just didn't know how to throw the light switch to "on"...

JB...that was maybe the best, most well thought out post that I've ever seen you put up. Helluva job. I believe in giving credit when it's due. And it's due on that one Bro...

Say Hi to your son for me. He's a great kid. I hope mine grows up as well as he has...
2nd August 2006 07:13 PM
glencar Joshy, I just read your post. It sucks. Totally. You think they weren't in it for the money in 1965? Is this some new attitude on their part? And no good material since 1981? Gimme a fucking break.
2nd August 2006 07:24 PM
Michael Cohl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its a scenario entirely of the band's own making. No one else's. People have lives and bills to pay and cant be expected to jump every few months because the band and Cohl have found another new, more cynical and costlier way of bleeding them dry. Saying the ticket prices are less and then doubling the onstage 'seats in the next breath, not to mention charging people $700 for a field ticket and $300 for a nosebleed - then justifying it by renaming it "hotseat" and throwing in a laminate and a tacky gift? I mean, come on! There are limits to people's gullibility and blind stupidity.

[Edited by Gazza]

You have to admit that the laminates are top notch and very useful though. We must keep things in perspective.

We're also considering including a free telescope with every purchase of a "Hotseat" so you can actually see the big screen. It's our little way of saying "Thanks" .
2nd August 2006 07:26 PM
Gazza sounds great Michael. How wide should I stretch? Will the telescope fit?
[Edited by Gazza]
2nd August 2006 07:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot In 1965..no I don't think it was about money then. It was about getting famous and pulling birds. They incorrectly assumed that if you were famous, you also were rich.

But they got fucked over a few times, and everyone else was making a fortune except them.

THAT is when the worm turned.

Once they dumped ABKCO, it was all about getting theirs.

But no, not in 1965. They were too wet behind the ears then.

I think we've all been willing to put up with some obvious pocket lining because the music was just so damn good. But now it's different. Rolling Stones Inc. is all about scratching every last penny out of us. Before they were just willing to take some of our money...now they want it all. And they want us to give it to them for inferior product.

Well, I hit the wall when ABB came out. It was a dagger in my heart. I'm done with it. I'll not participate in anymore of these blatant cash grabs. I've given plenty over the years, and for the most part, got my money's worth. And while I had a good time at the shows that I saw on this tour, that was more because of who I was with, not the show itself.

If anyone wants to think that they are a "truer fan" than I for that...whatever. Go for it, I hope it makes you feel better or superior or something.
2nd August 2006 07:55 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Gazza wrote:
sounds great Michael. How wide should I stretch? Will the telescope fit?
[Edited by Gazza]

He's charging more so you will have the added bonus of a dab of generic K Y jelly. Be thankful.
2nd August 2006 09:48 PM
pdog I'm just glad my light switch is able to go on. I still feel like I could be suckered by them, but I'm also seriously considering staying in retirement as well... Which i'm pretty sure I said i was doing in march or early April.
The more I think about it, one show in Oakland on the fly is good enough for me!
The only thing in NYC is the people on the boards. I got a feeling we can find some great excuses to hang out in the coming years. And see cool bands, do way more with our money ect...
2nd August 2006 09:59 PM
Soldatti Fair points here, the Stones attitude this days is hard to understand for many fans.
2nd August 2006 10:11 PM
pdog
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Fair points here, the Stones attitude this days is hard to understand for many fans.

At least if this was a smaller venue, new and improved specialized tour coming back... This is last weeks dryed up, reheated meatloaf that was dry to begin with!
3rd August 2006 02:01 AM
east_river_trucker Good honest thread. I love this band as much as anyone that posts on this board. Back in the day only my lack of financial freedom limited my enthusiasm for the Stones. And it hurts to say this, but looking back over the past 2 decades a true fan has to admit that it probably would have been better if they had broken up permanently after the back-catalog-mined smash hit Tatto You and the wildly successful touring party that followed.

I believe with all my heart that if they had quit after '81 they would now have the same halo ed status that Led Zepplin has among rock fans young and old. With each passing tour they diminish their legacy.
3rd August 2006 02:18 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Well said jb.

I must concur.
3rd August 2006 02:29 AM
Poplar
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yeah an entire hour of him & Stewart is too much.

Maybe when i was about 18 years old i could handle that much sarcasm. I can manage about 5 now.
back on topic - great posts here. sad but true.
[Edited by Poplar]
3rd August 2006 03:41 AM
2000monkey What a bunch of whiny bitches. This fall the Stones are going to play the second side of Metamorphosis on the B-stage, charge 30 dollars a ticket and then break up to atone for not being as cool to your grandchildren as Led Zep.
3rd August 2006 04:28 AM
pdog
quote:
2000monkey wrote:
What a bunch of whiny bitches. This fall the Stones are going to play the second side of Metamorphosis on the B-stage, charge 30 dollars a ticket and then break up to atone for not being as cool to your grandchildren as Led Zep.

2000 monkeys will fly outmy bunghole when that happens!
3rd August 2006 10:45 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Post of the month

Yeah. And if you believe that I'll tell you another good one...
3rd August 2006 12:02 PM
Gazza ok then..counter it with a better one thats more constructively well argued
3rd August 2006 12:14 PM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ok then..counter it with a better one thats more constructively well argued

Easy. The Earth is round. You can not contradict it.
GOTCHA!
[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]
3rd August 2006 12:28 PM
Saint Sway this thread is a great read. One of the few honest and heartfelt threads we've had IMO.

to borrow an excellent phrase that was used by SS, I think its taken awhile for a lot of us to "turn the light on" with whats been going on over the years because we are all such devote fans. I know I've been hung out to dry with some of my rants in the past year (and often deservedly). But I think now a lot of us are to the point of enough already with the greed and them trying to bleed us dry. We're fans not suckers. We have minds and even bigger hearts. Treat us with respect and we'll gladly give back - TENFOLD! But stop fucking us over because we care enough to open our wallets for you.

thats my .02

I'd like to thank Lethargy for starting such a great honest and thought provoking thread and everyone else who has contributed to it.

peace
4th August 2006 12:13 AM
zipmouth Hate to say it, but I've gotta agree with most all the posts in this thread. The greed is the biggest disappointment for me. That's not to say I'm not a bit greedy too, but the Stones,IMO, went off the deep end after the beginning with the BTB Tour.. I've been a devoted fan since '72 and first saw them on tour in '75 ($8.00 ticket). I never missed going to multiple shows after that, until the Forty Licks Tour, which I boycotted entirely. With the BTB/No Security Tour they started slipping in the multi-hundred dollar ticket prices (United Center, Chicago for example). Not that I'm not willing to pay good money, but I expect a good seat in return (i.e. $300.00 for the VL Tour, yes to scalper, but front row center. Every ticket I tried purchase from the box office for Forty Licks was a rear of the venue seat for the same price. And for many lick me, it's compounded. My kids are all fans as well (how could they help it?!) and since Steel Wheels, I always chose at least one show to take the whole family to see, so multiply those $300.00 box office tickets times 6! Not to mention that the ticket limits for Forty Licks restricted me from buying six all together. I did make it to one show for ABB, onstage seats, $250.00, and the worst "seats" I've ever had for ANY concert (IMO). Not to mention the $100.00 Fan Club Membership I purchased for a CHANCE to get "early" tickets. Needless to say, I never used the pass code.

I haven't stopped being a fan, far from it, but like others who have posted hear, I have come to a crossroads, do I continue to help fund the Stones retirement, or start focusing on mine, which I neglected the past 34 years spent getting tickets, paying for travel, snapping up memorabilia and hoping to re-live the excitement of that first show.
4th August 2006 12:41 PM
Steel Wheels So much misery on this board. Who gives a fuck who opens, how much tickets are, and how poorly tickets are selling?

Does anyone care about sound of the music, what kind of stereo system you listen to their music on, what speakers you have, and what joy the music brings?

Ain't nothing gonna stop me from cruisin' the mean streets of Philly this weekend with the windows down blasting A Bigger Bang at full tilt.
4th August 2006 01:24 PM
glencar NOW THAT'S POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4th August 2006 02:57 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
So much misery on this board. Who gives a fuck who opens, how much tickets are, and how poorly tickets are selling?

Does anyone care about sound of the music, what kind of stereo system you listen to their music on, what speakers you have, and what joy the music brings?

Ain't nothing gonna stop me from cruisin' the mean streets of Philly this weekend with the windows down blasting A Bigger Bang at full tilt.

Right on, my brotha.
4th August 2006 03:28 PM
Poplar
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Does anyone care about sound of the music

The hills are alive!!!!!

quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:

i can dig it, baby.
4th August 2006 03:33 PM
Some Guy what is jumped the shark?
4th August 2006 03:48 PM
Steel Wheels Let's piss and moan that they are on the road in support of their first new album since 1997, and album that features just the core of THE ROLLING STONES. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are coming to your town, but tickets are expensive. Let's piss and moan about ticket sales, and wonder if THE ROLLING STONES can sell the house out. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are a big business who put their symbol and likeness on everything from cool tee-shirts to leather jackets. Let's piss and moan that nearly 50 years into their career, you can download THE ROLLING STONES in concert onto cell phones.

And really, let's piss and moan that you are getting older and you feel everything since 1972 has sucked while I'm still getting my rocks off to the sweet, sweet music only THE ROLLING STONES can play.

THE ROLLING STONES ARE COMING...and the line starts here!
4th August 2006 03:51 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Let's piss and moan that they are on the road in support of their first new album since 1997, and album that features just the core of THE ROLLING STONES. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are coming to your town, but tickets are expensive. Let's piss and moan about ticket sales, and wonder if THE ROLLING STONES can sell the house out. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are a big business who put their symbol and likeness on everything from cool tee-shirts to leather jackets. Let's piss and moan that nearly 50 years into their career, you can download THE ROLLING STONES in concert onto cell phones.

And really, let's piss and moan that you are getting older and you feel everything since 1972 has sucked while I'm still getting my rocks off to the sweet, sweet music only THE ROLLING STONES can play.

ballsey!
4th August 2006 03:59 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Let's piss and moan that they are on the road in support of their first new album since 1997, and album that features just the core of THE ROLLING STONES. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are coming to your town, but tickets are expensive. Let's piss and moan about ticket sales, and wonder if THE ROLLING STONES can sell the house out. Let's piss and moan that THE ROLLING STONES are a big business who put their symbol and likeness on everything from cool tee-shirts to leather jackets. Let's piss and moan that nearly 50 years into their career, you can download THE ROLLING STONES in concert onto cell phones.

I dunno SW.

I really don't know.

European fans screwed.
Euro setlists lame.
Outrageous ticket prices in over-saturated markets.
Then today's lovely news
Kanye West as an opening act.
Charging your opening Band for a seat to the show
Cancelling the Beacon Theatre...the MOST anticipated show by diehard fans.

I never thought I'd feel the way I do right now. But I do.

Chicago will be it for me.

I feel used by a group of millionaires I have supported for 30 years. That makes me mad and it makes me very very sad.

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
4th August 2006 04:02 PM
Some Guy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

I dunno SW.

I really don't know.

European fans screwed.
Euro setlists lame.
Outrageous ticket prices in over-saturated markets.
Then today's lovely news
Kanye West as an opening act.
Charging your opening Band for a seat to the show
Cancelling the Beacon Theatre...the MOST anticipated show by diehard fans.

I never thought I'd feel the way I do right now. But I do.

Chicago will be it for me.

I feel used by a group of millionaires I have supported for 30 years. That makes me mad and it makes me very very sad.

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]

ballsey.
4th August 2006 04:05 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
what is jumped the shark?

Happy Days episode. When a tv show pulls out all the stops to keep going. Typically adding a cute kid to the cast is a jump the shark move.
4th August 2006 04:07 PM
Some Guy
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Happy Days episode. When a tv show pulls out all the stops to keep going. Typically adding a cute kid to the cast is a jump the shark move.

AH HA! I get it! I see! Thanks Dawg.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)