ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I've heard the new songs.... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 25th, 2005 03:00 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
texile wrote:
the lion speaks.........
would that be van morrison's lion?

It is although Van nowadays faces the same problems as the Stones do... They all get older and milder.
July 25th, 2005 03:06 PM
jb
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Yep, this is the conclusion I made years ago. Of course one is still hoping a miracle will happen. But we have to be honest. The Stones are a memory. Once they ruled the world and made records that couldn't be touched. Now it is just mediocracy that rules. They haven't got IT anymore. The 3 new songs make it painfully clear. And believe me I am still proud to be a Stones fans because they once made the best music ever made on this planet. But since Tattoo You they have gone a long way down.

Agreed..Of course they are my favorite all time band, and their work still justifies them being called the Greatest....but the reality is, they have been long washed up, at least as far as song writing is concerned..
July 25th, 2005 03:10 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jb wrote:

Agreed..Of course they are my favorite all time band, and their work still justifies them being called the Greatest....but the reality is, they have been long washed up, at least as far as song writing is concerned..

I have the feeling we are repeating each other...

July 25th, 2005 03:12 PM
jb
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

I have the feeling we are repeating each other...

Brilliant minds think alike!!!
[Edited by jb]
July 25th, 2005 03:16 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jb wrote:

Brilliant minds think alike!!!
[Edited by jb]

once again you take the words out of my mouth!
July 25th, 2005 03:23 PM
pdog Jb, you will eat your words. The Stones are going to blow up this year, despite your campaign to have them fail so you can stand around and point and say, "I was right"!
July 25th, 2005 03:24 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
Jb, you will eat your words. The Stones are going to blow up this year, despite your campaign to have them fail so you can stand around and point and say, "I was right"!

Please define blow up(i.e. ticket sales, album sales, ???)
July 25th, 2005 03:30 PM
gimmekeef Hey guys lets not let facts get involved here....That would mean waiting until the album is released and tour at least partially completed...
July 25th, 2005 03:33 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Hey guys lets not let facts get involved here....That would mean waiting until the album is released and tour at least partially completed...

O.K.-I'll give you that..but early indications are not necessarily suggesting great things, are they?
July 25th, 2005 03:35 PM
ListenToTheLion Maybe miracles still happen!!!
July 25th, 2005 03:37 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

O.K.-I'll give you that..but early indications are not necessarily suggesting great things, are they?

Early indications are that we got another " Dirty Work / It's Hard " on our hands ...........................ss"

Developing .....................................

Shiver ........................................

Flacky Joe !

[ Edited by Steelie ]
[Edited by Joey]
July 25th, 2005 03:39 PM
jb Dirty Work is probably their worst album...B2B and SW's come pretty close as well...
July 25th, 2005 03:43 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jb wrote:
Dirty Work is probably their worst album...B2B and SW's come pretty close as well...

Worst albums:

1.Dirty Work (including worst cover art ever)
2.Undercover
3.Bridges to babylon
4.Voodoo Lounge
5.Steel Wheels
July 25th, 2005 03:44 PM
jb That sounds about right..VL highly overrated b/c it actually is listenable....
July 25th, 2005 03:45 PM
throbby For the record I'd like to say that all this negativity is starting to sound quite ridiculous to me. I dig the new tunes I've heard, I couldn't give two fucks if others don't.

The Stones rocked when I saw them live at the PC, and I'm quite fucking certain they're gonna rock when I see them in Boston 27 days from now.

Don't worry, be happy. You just might live longer.
July 25th, 2005 03:46 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Dirty Work is probably their worst album...B2B and SW's come pretty close as well...

I'm curious .....................................

Do You Like Sweaters ?

July 25th, 2005 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
throbby wrote:
For the record I'd like to say that all this negativity is starting to sound quite ridiculous to me. .

Do You Like Sweaters ?

July 25th, 2005 03:50 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
throbby wrote:
For the record I'd like to say that all this negativity is starting to sound quite ridiculous to me. I dig the new tunes I've heard, I couldn't give two fucks if others don't.

The Stones rocked when I saw them live at the PC, and I'm quite fucking certain they're gonna rock when I see them in Boston 27 days from now.

Don't worry, be happy. You just might live longer.

Well said throbby....sometimes people have the glass half full thing other times the glass is half empty.Lately there seems to be some folks with no glass at all...
July 25th, 2005 03:54 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

I don't talk in terms of money, like you.
When the album drops, it'll blow up!
July 25th, 2005 03:58 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
pdog wrote:

I don't talk in terms of money, like you.
When the album drops, it'll blow up!

Unfortunately the Stones act in terms of money all the time these days
July 25th, 2005 04:04 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:

Like Maxy in Mecca!
July 25th, 2005 04:08 PM
texile actually lion - i think undercover is UNderrated....
to me - its the last album with that stones sound - that dirty, loose sound.............that was the END of the band as an entity.
July 25th, 2005 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Like Maxy in Mecca!

Somewhere in New York a Clown cries ..............
|
|
|
|
V

July 25th, 2005 04:15 PM
pdog
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Unfortunately the Stones act in terms of money all the time these days

I stay in the spiritual zone with rock and roll. I don't bitch about the prices, I just enjoy what I listen to and the shows I go to.
When I go to shows I usually get great deals and bargains and most the shows I attend are at least good.
It's pretty obvious to me that at least in Jb's case, he always talks about himslef and his money, so when he talks about The Stones failing financially, it's coming from that perspective.
I'm of the belief if you live life, enjoy the music and focus on the fun, none of that shit matters.
I'm not the least bit upset for what I've spent. Not even close, I could also give a rats ass if anyone else is in the show... Except my friends!
I heard the new Stones BUT!!! I also listened to it.
If you focus on the negativity, sales and just shit that ain't rock and roll, how the hell are you going to enjoy rock and roll?
It's not possible, it's polar opposites.

The Rolling Stones are filthy fucking rich and old.

YES!!! BUT!!! They still rock with passion, it's there, I feel it pouring out!
If it wasn't they wouldn't be doing this. I know it when I see it.
I'm not a fair weathered fan, and I'm also not a Stones blind faither. I've been around rock and roll my entire life. The Stones rock. The new album is going to be very good, I can feel it.
If you can't that is just sad. It's not too late to change your perspective, however. I don't give a shit if you do.
You can stand around arms folded across your chest feeling bitter. That's what I picure at least!
Depsite the RIAA and mega million dollar industry, Rock and Roll is about a group of people who make something from a feeling inside of them, they then take that and make god awful noise and give it to the world.
That's it! If you miss that, then you've missed one of the best parts of life.
Most bands would still be playing whether or not there was money to be made.
You don't start a band to get rich, you start a band to get drunk and laid. Seems a few morons around these parts never knew that, so they think about rock as a job. Pitiful, pathetic and makes me laugh.
It's not like many around these parts haven't tried to help save their souls.
Music is spiritual not financial.
[Edited by pdog]
July 25th, 2005 09:57 PM
T&A
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Yep, this is the conclusion I made years ago. Of course one is still hoping a miracle will happen. But we have to be honest. The Stones are a memory. Once they ruled the world and made records that couldn't be touched. Now it is just mediocracy that rules. They haven't got IT anymore. The 3 new songs make it painfully clear. And believe me I am still proud to be a Stones fans because they once made the best music ever made on this planet. But since Tattoo You they have gone a long way down.

It pains me to have to agree with Lion and JB on this one. The evidence emerging from the new album is pretty damning.
July 25th, 2005 11:02 PM
exile For Christs sake!
If anyone here thinks that the Stones are going to pull out another EXILE or STICKY FINGERS is delusional. They wont even pull out another Tattoo You.

That was a long time ago.....wake up

The best anyone will get is another Voodoo lounge hopefully.... and not another B2B

Lets all be realistic. That’s it

Think of Beatle fans who will never hear another new Beatles tune.

Let’s all get over the SOL debate ...and just chill out and enjoy the new album without picking it to pieces

And count ourselves lucky the STONES are still releasing new Albums.
July 25th, 2005 11:13 PM
T&A who's expecting another TY, textile? I'm just hoping for some songs I can dig - so far 0-for-3...but I'm hoping there's still something decent on the album. Reserving final judgment....
July 26th, 2005 01:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot My expectations were very LOW for this new material. Like T&A, I just wanted to like it. I don't like SOL...not even a little. ONNYA is completely forgettable...in fact I've heard it about 10 times within the last few days but I can't even think of how the song goes anymore. And RJ is just kinda there...I don't dislike it, but I don't see myself with a hankerin' to slap ol' RJ on that newfangled CD spinner a year from now either.

I'm not being negative. Man, no one wants to be positive about these new tunes more than I do. But I'm being honest. Two of the new songs are no better than OK, and one flat out sucks. That is just the way my ears hear it. I wish it was different, but it isn't.

Look at the Stones back catalogue. Listen to these new songs. Do you honestly think these new songs stand up? Even alongside the Stones most mediocre material(and most of that has been since Steel Wheels), these songs sound pretty weak. To me anyway. Your mileage may vary.

I'm hoping the Stones have saved the killer stuff for later.

Now...this:

>I love Rough Justice and feel sorry for the poor cynical bastards who can't find any reason to enjoy life or the Stones any more.

The Stones may be old, but some of their fans act even older by living in the past.<

So what you are telling me is that I MUST like the new Stones songs, just like you, and if I don't I can't enjoy life, and I'm old? Do you realize how fucked up that is?

So dude...what kind of drugs are you on? Or are you just retarded? If you are retarded, then I apologize. If not, then I apologize to retarded people for comparing them to you.
July 26th, 2005 01:59 AM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My expectations were very LOW for this new material. Like T&A, I just wanted to like it. I don't like SOL...not even a little. ONNYA is completely forgettable...in fact I've heard it about 10 times within the last few days but I can't even think of how the song goes anymore. And RJ is just kinda there...I don't dislike it, but I don't see myself with a hankerin' to slap ol' RJ on that newfangled CD spinner a year from now either.

I'm not being negative. Man, no one wants to be positive about these new tunes more than I do. But I'm being honest. Two of the new songs are no better than OK, and one flat out sucks. That is just the way my ears hear it. I wish it was different, but it isn't.

Look at the Stones back catalogue. Listen to these new songs. Do you honestly think these new songs stand up? Even alongside the Stones most mediocre material(and most of that has been since Steel Wheels), these songs sound pretty weak. To me anyway. Your mileage may vary.

I'm hoping the Stones have saved the killer stuff for later.

Now...this:

>I love Rough Justice and feel sorry for the poor cynical bastards who can't find any reason to enjoy life or the Stones any more.

The Stones may be old, but some of their fans act even older by living in the past.<

So what you are telling me is that I MUST like the new Stones songs, just like you, and if I don't I can't enjoy life, and I'm old? Do you realize how fucked up that is?

So dude...what kind of drugs are you on? Or are you just retarded? If you are retarded, then I apologize. If not, then I apologize to retarded people for comparing them to you.

You have great taste in music. I know we like alot of the same bands and would probably have fun hipping each other to bands we've discovered. Damn you're one funny mofo too! It's hard for me to figure out why I like these new tunes so much... Yet, I haven't listened to them since the first day. On that day my starving Stones heart was thirsty. I have hope, however until I really hear thse tunes in quality, I'm not going any deeper than I have. I did listen to alot of Hellacopters and Rainy Day Saints this weekend, Also SF's, LIB and Beggars... I lost my burned copy of Exile so Saturday night working (turning tricks) was w/o my gem of Stones music. This is why the silvers never, ever, ever fucking ever, leave the house.
Users lose drugs!
July 26th, 2005 02:18 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I did listen to alot of Hellacopters<

I like the Hellacopters a bunch. Even slapped one of their stickers on my Epiphone. I too sense that you are a kindred spirit. I'll bet we own a lot of the same stuff. Great minds think alike. The world is lucky to have our children(congrats on your latest!)in it.

I listened to ONNYA, RJ & SOL at least 10 times each over the last few days. I'm trying to force myself into getting into them. Like maybe they will grow on me or I'll hear something that I missed and it will magicly make a mediocre song better....hasn't happened yet. But no harm in trying.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)