ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: US Tour announcement Tuesday Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
25th July 2006 10:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I understand your point of view Gazza, and I wish I had the same determination but...

I had similar feelings for my favourite Greek band. I followed them round most of their gigs for years - open-air, stadiums, club gigs, you name it. I must have seen them over 70-80 times. From a certain point onwards, I knew exactly not only their disgustingly repeating setlist (boy, if there was a similar board for them, now THAT would be some setlist whining!) but also all the stupid little comments they'd made about every silly song, all the little stories that would accompany each tune, even the way they'd frown or pick up their guitars or something. So damn predictable. I knew all there was to now. It had become boring, predictable and dull.

At the same time, thousands of people around me were cheering them up, singing, dancing, having a ball and talking about what "a great gig" it was. And I'm talking about fans as well, not just the casual passerby - perhaps not as hardcore as catching every gig. So I'm wondering, is it the fact that this particular band was getting worse and worse by the month or was it just the fact I had seen TOO much of them? Perhaps a combination.

But I guess it's almost like a wedding You spend so many years following a band, intimacy grows. You know all the little details. And sometimes this is beautiful and great, other times it's boring and worthless.

I haven't felt this way with the Stones. A mere 3 gigs can't do it just yet. But you know what, I'd rather have seen them as many times as the Greek band I grew so accustomed with. Even if it mean feeling bored - there'd be so many great memories to come back to.

Conclusion: as bad and sloppy, ruthless, money-oriented and bastards as they may get sometimes, they're still really damn great up there and I don't think we should overlook that. I don't want you quitting the live gigs Gazza! Just sounds sad. Give it another try. Perhaps a short detox, just to feel the high again?

LOL..the shows are still fine...I always enjoy them to varying degrees, because the songs are great and its my favourite band. The 'sloppy bit doesnt bother me. I dont get too worked up by any musical shortcomings.

However, stadium shows are more of a grind than a pleasure and always have been and personally speaking its become just a case of "been there done that".

Easy for me to be blase I know after about 40 shows when other fans havent been so lucky, but if I'm being honest with myself the whole 'event' just doesnt grab me like it used to (and part of that IS down to how the band's attitude has changed in the last few years), so when you reach THAT stage, it makes it easier to distance yourself emotionally.

I certainly didnt feel this way on the Licks tour. On average I ended up paying more for a ticket on that tour than on this one (only because I'm now wiser to their tricks at getting their fans to panic buy the mnost expensive tickets) and in the space of 3 weeks in August-September 2003 I saw 9 out of 11 shows (would have been ten only for a cancellation) and DIDNT get bored with the shows AT ALL.

Something however has definitely snapped this time around. The shows are less interesting, the band and their management have reached a new low in cynical and exploitative behaviour and its just left a sour taste. Ive enjoyed the 3 shows Ive seen and will enjoy the four I have left, but theres definitely a 'spark' thats missing. Meeting other fans and travelling around is a bigger part of the fun now, if I'm being honest.

Its great that others have still the same passion and good for them, but while I'll always love the music its just NOT the same band I've grown up with and followed for 30 years. And if I dont believe in it any more, I'll spend my money elsewhere.
25th July 2006 10:40 AM
F505 Gazza you are finally getting old and wiser!
25th July 2006 10:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
What really is "reasonable" for this tuype of entertainment. For miost of us, the Stones are still a very important part of our lives. Off course the thrill of seeing them is not the same, as they have been constantly on tour the past 15 yrs....but howe can one really put a price on something we derive so much pleasure from???....even if for only 1hr57 minutes.

when it can cost up to a weeks wage for some people for a ticket thats so crappy you can only see the band on a video screen, I can do so quite easily! LOL
25th July 2006 10:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:
Gazza you are finally getting old and wiser!

LOL..I resent the "finally" bit more than being called "old" !!!
25th July 2006 10:53 AM
Gazza Tour announcement now official!!

see here :

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/229093-1.html

Good luck to all of you who are going!
25th July 2006 10:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
and the tour looks to end at dodger stadium!!!

There'll be more dates added and hawaii will be after LA
25th July 2006 10:55 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

There'll be more dates added and hawaii will be after LA

bummer. still dodger stadium could be sweet...

25th July 2006 11:01 AM
Gazza For the sake of comparison and to enable folks to fill in the probable gaps in the schedule , heres the provisional list posted by Stonesdoug a few days ago, thanks to Glimmercat

9/20 - Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA

9/27 - Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, NJ

9/30 - Churchill Downs Race Track, Louisville, KY

10/2 - Cessna Stadium, Wichita, KS

10/6 - Grizzly Stadium, Missoula, Montana

10/8 - Taylor Field, Regina, Saskatchewan

10/11 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

10/17 - Qwest Field, Seattle, WA

10/20 - Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX

10/22 - City Park, Austin, TX

10/27 - Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ

10/29 - Beacon Theatre, NYC

10/31 - Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB

11/3 - BC Place, Vancouver, BC

11/5 - McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, CA

11/8 - Cardinals Stadium, Glendale, AZ

11/11 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV

11/14 - Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho

11/18 - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA

11/20 - TBA, arena show

11/23 - Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI

and heres the official list as announced today :

Sep 20, 2006 Boston MA US Gillette Stadium
Sep 23, 2006 Halifax NS CA Halifax Commons
Sep 27, 2006 East Rutherford NJ US Giants Stadium
Oct 02, 2006 Wichita KS US Cessna Stadium Wichita University
Oct 06, 2006 Missoula MT US Grizzly Stadium
Oct 08, 2006 Regina SK CA Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field
Oct 11, 2006 Chicago IL US Soldier Field
Oct 17, 2006 Seattle WA US Qwest Field
Oct 20, 2006 El Paso TX US Sun Bowl
Oct 22, 2006 Austin TX US Zilker Park
Oct 27, 2006 Atlantic City NJ US Boardwalk Hall
Nov 03, 2006 Vancouver British Columbia CA BC Place Stadium
Nov 05, 2006 Oakland CA US McAfee Coliseum
Nov 08, 2006 Phoenix AZ US Cardinals Stadium
Nov 11, 2006 Las Vegas NV US MGM Grand
Nov 14, 2006 Boise ID US Idaho Center
Nov 18, 2006 Los Angeles CA US Dodger Stadium

[Edited by Gazza]
25th July 2006 11:07 AM
GotToRollMe Thank you for all the info, Gazza. You're a prince among men.
25th July 2006 11:09 AM
Some Guy geographically unfavorable at this juncture.
25th July 2006 11:10 AM
jb Very reasonable prices!!! $60 dollars!!! Lets see if the kids come !!!
25th July 2006 11:16 AM
Gazza The tour is being renamed the "we're doing it for the kids" tour

I'm amazed that they didnt add that remark to the rest of the idiotic cliches they came out with in that press release
25th July 2006 11:19 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The tour is being renamed the "we're doing it for the kids" tour

I'm amazed that they didnt add that remark to the rest of the idiotic cliches they came out with in that press release

Funny!!! We do do it for the kids!!! Yes, ther press release was so full of shit, that it even made Joey jealous.
25th July 2006 11:32 AM
nankerphelge CHICAGO II

See ya there....
25th July 2006 11:34 AM
jb
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
CHICAGO II

See ya there....

Enjoy!!!! This will be a huge show..starting at 6!!! Must be big opening acts!!!
25th July 2006 11:35 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The tour is being renamed the "we're doing it for the kids" tour

Priceless!!
25th July 2006 11:51 AM
Phog I cannot believe they are finally playing in Kansas. Wichita may be destined to be Omaha'd on Oct. 2, but there's no way in fucking hell I would miss this show. Besides, I was at the Omaha show and it kicked mucho ass.
25th July 2006 11:56 AM
jb
quote:
Phog wrote:
I cannot believe they are finally playing in Kansas. Wichita may be destined to be Omaha'd on Oct. 2, but there's no way in fucking hell I would miss this show. Besides, I was at the Omaha show and it kicked mucho ass.

Only $99!!!(DIFTK)
25th July 2006 12:06 PM
Madafaka December = South America!
25th July 2006 12:14 PM
Rolling1 Where is in rumoured louisville show...... If its taking place end of sept ticket sales should have been in 1st group.
25th July 2006 12:18 PM
Gazza only a matter of time I guess.

I guess thats not your traditional stadium show, so maybe there'll be more $99 range tickets for that one
25th July 2006 12:39 PM
keefjunkie i remember when this fall tour was originally announced pittsburgh being one of the rumoured citys but i guess not..Do you think these will be the only dates? Is this it?
25th July 2006 12:48 PM
Rolling1 A week between shows is way to much time for keith and ronnie to raise hell. Something must be in the works.
25th July 2006 12:55 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
i remember when this fall tour was originally announced pittsburgh being one of the rumoured citys but i guess not..Do you think these will be the only dates? Is this it?

The official announcement today was missing
a few shows that we had previously heard about:

Louisville 9/30
Beacon, NYC 10/29
Edmonton 10/31
Area Show TBA 11/20
Honolulu 11/23

Even with those there is a little space here and
there in the schedule.

Guess we'll see!

SV

25th July 2006 02:05 PM
Egbert
quote:
F505 wrote:

only interested in Lisa's tits

I plead guilty as charged.
25th July 2006 02:15 PM
jb
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
i remember when this fall tour was originally announced pittsburgh being one of the rumoured citys but i guess not..Do you think these will be the only dates? Is this it?

Pitt sold very slow even with PJ!!!!
25th July 2006 02:29 PM
Lpollitt Very dissapointed in not having the Louisville show announced today. Oh well. Wife and I will go to the Chicago again!

25th July 2006 02:45 PM
Gazza Give it a few days. Louisville will happen Im sure
25th July 2006 02:58 PM
jb Any small shows, I imagine, will be contingent on all higher priced tickets selling out. Consequently, it would be in our interests to only buy the most expensive seats to ensure a club/theater show. Save the cheap seats for the young people(DIFTKT).............................with some luck, we get the Beacon if Giants sells out.........................
25th July 2006 03:12 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Any small shows, I imagine, will be contingent on all higher priced tickets selling out. Consequently, it would be in our interests to only buy the most expensive seats to ensure a club/theater show. Save the cheap seats for the young people(DIFTKT).............................with some luck, we get the Beacon if Giants sells out.........................

Can I borrow a few bucks?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)