ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Van Halen off the Wagon (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
7th July 2004 11:45 AM
Joey

David Lee Roth is DEFINITELY gay ..................

..............as Gay as the Day is Long ( see : Roy ) !
7th July 2004 11:50 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

C/mon Joey gimme a break.
7th July 2004 11:59 AM
jb Dave is the son of a successful jewish doctor....he made the mistake like Mike, of thinking he was bigger than the band....sadly, he has never recovered....some of the early Van halen was truly kick ass rock-n-roll...but once haggar joined, it was over...
7th July 2004 12:16 PM
Martha Who is opening for VH?

Anyone?

By the way, my "taste in music" is not open for your judgment or condemnation. Please keep your opinions of this nature, to yourself. Thank you.

Have a nice day!

Peace,
Martha
7th July 2004 12:25 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Dave is the son of a successful jewish doctor....he made the mistake like Mike, of thinking he was bigger than the band....sadly, he has never recovered....some of the early Van halen was truly kick ass rock-n-roll...but once haggar joined, it was over...

I've seen VH with Diamond Dave back in the day and with Gary C in 1998. Eddie and crew still kicked my ass in 1998 with Gary in the band. Eddie showed no signs of being intoxicated on that hot night in July. He was literally on fire. I've never seen anyone sweat so much, but it was a really hot evening. The sweat literally poured off Eddie's shirtless body down onto his guitar.

Eddie had his chops then and I hope he still does tonight.

I don't give a crap about Sammy. I'll be watching Eddie.....like a hawk.

Alcoholism tears family's apart. Bands are structured much like extended "families" and accordingly the people within it take the brunt of the alcoholism when any member has this disease. Sad, sad, sad.
7th July 2004 12:38 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
Dave is the son of a successful jewish doctor....he made the mistake like Mike, of thinking he was bigger than the band....sadly, he has never recovered....some of the early Van halen was truly kick ass rock-n-roll...but once haggar joined, it was over...

You are truly wise beyond your years, kimosabe.
8th July 2004 01:22 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Joey wrote:

Joey, I hadn't heard him in years, but a while back I heard Dave on some morning radio show promoting a new album or some shit, and I was amazed at how funny he was.
Not necessarily funny HaHa! more like funny HoHo! & sometimes he was just funny HeHe! but it was amazing what a funny guy he was nonetheless, can u dig it ?
8th July 2004 03:43 AM
UGot2Rollme Martha,
Please post concert report when you get a chance. Hope Eddie backed off the booze and blew everyone away.

Thanks
8th July 2004 02:14 PM
Joey
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Joey, I hadn't heard him in years, but a while back I heard Dave on some morning radio show promoting a new album or some shit, and I was amazed at how funny he was.
Not necessarily funny HaHa! more like funny HoHo! & sometimes he was just funny HeHe! but it was amazing what a funny guy he was nonetheless, can u dig it ?

********* BLANK FRIGGIN STARE ***************
8th July 2004 02:50 PM
Martha I need the set-list..can anyone help me out?
Thanks!

I'm writing my review right now. Will post soon!
8th July 2004 02:53 PM
Martha David Lee Roth is the perfect blend of a crazy, campy rock and roll front man and singer especially in his heyday. VH needs to tour with Diamond Dave so we can hear Eddie play THOSE blistering leads again! Oh yes.
8th July 2004 02:55 PM
jb David Lee Roth and Stan Lynch are two very popular Jewish rock stars...
8th July 2004 03:40 PM
Some Guy Dave is being awfully quiet lately... maybe too quiet.
8th July 2004 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
David Lee Roth and Stan Lynch are two very popular Jewish rock stars...

So be Barbra Streisand and that " Bonzo " guy ( or Whatever .............. )

8th July 2004 03:50 PM
Some Guy U2 is supposed to put out a great album in November. There last album was damn good. I like Bonzo
8th July 2004 04:02 PM
Joey Ninea Abs Shae Monkee !
[Edited by Joey]
8th July 2004 04:05 PM
Martha Ninea abs whatever....I need a SET LIST PEOPLE!
8th July 2004 04:06 PM
Bloozehound

"Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go...."
8th July 2004 04:10 PM
Snappy McJack Probably something like this, Martha.

Jump
Runaround
Humans Being
Up for Breakfast
Bass Solo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Poundcake
It's About Time
Drum Solo
Top of the World
Unchained
Why Can't This Be Love
Eagles Fly (Sammy Hagar Only)
Deeper Kind of Love (Sammy Hagar Only)
Learning to See
Best of Both Worlds
Eddie Van Halen Solo
Dreams
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Right Now

You Really Got Me
Panama
When It's Love
8th July 2004 04:39 PM
Martha Hey that was snappy! Thanks!!! Sounds right to me!
8th July 2004 04:46 PM
Nellcote Hey MAAAAARTHA!
You need a set list?
You were not there writing down each song?
This disturbs me.
I always get "the stare" at any show I go to with my pen and paper writing down songs.
I usually tell those interested that I am a clothier noting fashion trends in foundation wear for a third world country designer who's designs show up in National Geographic pictorials, you know the round disc fashions which protrude from the lower lip? Dig?
People generally walk, most run away from me and leave me to my set list notes alone.
So you'll know whom I am if you ever run into me at a gig.

Try it, you'll like it!

This "break towards 10K posts" has been a community service annoucement. We now return you to regular programming.
[Edited by Nellcote]
8th July 2004 04:51 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

"Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go...."

thats cool!
8th July 2004 05:18 PM
Martha Van Halen
Value City Arena JSC (Jerome Schottenstein Center)
Columbus OH
Wednesday July 7th 2004
7:30pm

Show Opener: Silvertide

This is a band of young kids that are 70's sounding wanna be's, but they prolly weren't even born yet. LOL They do however possess some decent musical chops. There are five members of this band. Bassist, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, drummer and a long tall drink of water lead singer, who reminded me of Chris Robinson in terms of his stature and voice, but not his looks. This guy is blond, cute chick magnet deal. All of the band members are very skinny and quite possibly speed freaks.....especially the lead singer. He was borderline emaciated looking. The lead guitar player constantly throws his head of gorgeous hair about as he plays intensely blistering leads on his coveted black Gibson Les Paul. He did not change guitars during their 30-40 minute set. He was covered in tattoos. One was at his belly button forming a semi-circle in all CAPS that read: HIGH VOLTAGE. Cool huh?! There was another tattoo right below his heart of Les Paul's signature. Then a bunch of other nondescript tattoos adorned many parts of his body. He was shirtless. They kept my interest and no not due to their shirtlessness. LOL But being as old as I am I've seen his thing come and go before. Many times. LOL I do remember one of their songs was called: "MaryJane". You do the math, Ronnie.

VH Observations:

Eddie came out onto the side of the stage BEFORE the lights went down and since we were seated on that side in the 200 level we saw him right away. Some people spied him and screamed which drew our attention to him immediately. Whatever we had been talking about right before we heard those screams well, I've never been able to recall that. LOL I went into my "Eddie; Long Live the King" mode right then and there.

He acknowledged us by looking up smiling big time and waving etc., while we immediately stood and waved back.....I blew him lots of kisses. He saw us since we were close enough even though we were in the 200 level seats He was wearing light orange colored cropped parachute type baggy pants with the waistband of his underwear showing and otherwise was shirtless. He had his signature red high top tennies on. He was buff lookin' quite just like always, his hair long and flowing with a hint of grey in it. Oh, and his front teeth are still weird looking.

I so am glad Eddie is alive and well, now that he's been through the cancer scare. There are no visible surgical scars around his neck, by the way. I had been waiting to see him since the last show I caught back in 1998. My Husband and our friend Vic, who met us at the gig, had never seen VH before and they were primed.

Then the lights went down and the show starts!

JUMP! Opening song. Sammy is wearing ALL bright yellow clothing... Gypsy might have liked the color. He did not appear to be intoxicated and his voice was perfect. Eddie on the other hand may have been drinking booze, I really could not tell for sure. He had a what appeared to be grape juice that he kept drinking from sitting on the drum riser.

Second song...Round and Round Eddie keeps Jumping all over the stage in semi-circles.

Third song, Humans Being. Eddie is jumping all over the stage throughout the show like an energizer Bunny on extra voltage strength batteries. I didn't know if he was gonna be able to pull off being so physical since he's had TWO hip replacements in the last couple of years, but I'd have never known this by watching him last night. He was very energetic and into it. He's smiling and interacting with the audience all the time. He did a nice lead during this song. I think he's trying to musically emulate a tornado by the way he plays his lead on Humans. His playing is somewhat "sloppy" or "rough" sounding during this song, but I believe this is intentional. He's also bouncing about in circles while he's playing this lead. I watched him closely. He was not stumbling about and if he was really blitzed (he wasn't) he would have bounced right off the friggin' stage! He came perilously close to the edge though, more than once. LOL

4th song....I forget. Lots of Sammy songs were played and I am not familiar with many of those unless they were "hits". Sorry. I know they did "Pound Cake".

At some point into the show mid-way or more...Eddie comes back out. I watched him do up his hair with that hair tie (like the rehearsal photos) and make it look like Pebbles. He then commences to play a segment of long intricate leads standing all alone in the center of the stage. He stops and starts during these leads to interact or stare/smile/gesture at the audience. His playing is excellent, by the way.

However, this is when I might have wondered if he'd been drinking, had I not already read the blurb about this. Not that he never did this sort of thing on stage before, but in that he let too much time go by between those scripted stops. They felt a bit too long, in my humble opinion..you know like Eddie might have been on Puerto Rican time. Hum...............

Eddie also began a song at the wrong time right as he was wrapping his lead segment and the band had returned to the stage to start into their next song. Sammy immediately mouths to him..."It's alright, it's ok!" which I saw him say as I watched closely through my trusty, tried and true binoculars. Ooooops! No biggie, but possibly info that lends itself to the " Eddie is drinking" deal.

Another observation hits me about now at this point into the show I realized that Sammy's VH "songs" and David Lee Roth's VH "songs" are NOT the same deal. Not at all. Since Sammy was the lead singer naturally they played most of his songs and only three/four (I think) of Dave's songs were performed. Sammy's songs are not near as intense nor do they include those blistering lead breaks in between like DLR songs do. Sammy's songs are more POP and ballad oriented while DLR songs are more hard rock mixed with camp and craziness. I need to see them with Diamond Dave if I want to have Eddie tear off my head. He just doesn't throw down in the same way as Sammy's songs are not as power driven. Thus my conclusion; Eddie does not have to work as hard when Sammy's in the house. Sigh.......my head is still attached.

Alex played a long drum solo rather early in the show. It was almost exactly the same solo he did in 1998. He has three bass drums. Evidently he is to be reckoned with! LOL Oh and his son was there and looks just like him. No sightings of Wolfgang, Eddie's son. No chicks hangin' around off the side of the stage either.

Michael Anthony still plays his solo lead deal on that Jack Daniel's bass. He also bounces all over the place, yet he's not quite as bouncy as Eddie. Eddie bounces as though the stage is a trampoline. He was on all night...no messin' up. Michael did ceremoniously open an airport size mini-bottle of Jack D and drank it while he strutted his shit about.

Sammy did a solo piece and played (I think) A song called Where Eagles Fly? I may not have this correct. Sorry about that. He played an electric guitar during his piece. I spaced out though and almost forgot this part of the show since I am no big Sammy follower or fan. I did dig him during the Montrose days. I watched Eddie off stage interacting with his guitar tech all the while Sammy was going on solo. Eddie was chatting it up and laughing with him and even rubbed his balding head while the tech hugged him back. Eddie was obviously happy.

Here's the complete set-list that Snappy McJack posted for me. Thanks!

Jump
Runaround
Humans Being
Up for Breakfast
Bass Solo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Poundcake
It's About Time
Drum Solo
Top of the World
Unchained
Why Can't This Be Love
Eagles Fly (Sammy Hagar Only)
Deeper Kind of Love (Sammy Hagar Only)
Learning to See
Best of Both Worlds
Eddie Van Halen Solo
Dreams
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Right Now

You Really Got Me
Panama
When It's Love
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panama was one of my highlights.

They did 2 separate encores.

The show was not a sell-out but was well-attended. Prolly around 12,000.

The show ran 2 hours 10 minutes approximately.

Peace out!

Next show...Eric Clapton! on the 12th.

And yes, the drooling has commenced!

8th July 2004 05:28 PM
Martha Nellcote, I absolutely MUSTgo see a show with YOU! Peter Wolf sounds like a winner. Next gig he plans at your house....please give me a heads up! I'll bring dessert.

You know, I used to take my pen and tablet with me to the show like a good Stonesian-raised rock and roller that I am. But, like you, I've experienced that people stare, gawk, gaze and try to talk to me during the show wanting to learn.... whatever AM I Doing???? ..and that is a no no for Martha. No talking to Martha during the show please.

And so I gave it up. Besides I wouldn't have known many of last nights titles anyway. But your way of handling this age-old dilemma has me thinking anew! I am now regrouping!

Love Ian McC. Finally got it on the changer! :-) Superb!

Big hugs goin' out to you my Baaaaaaaaaaaaahstonian friend,
Maaaaaaaartha!
8th July 2004 05:34 PM
Larry Dallas I saw them in Louisville on Tuesday. It was great to see Eddie having such a ball.
8th July 2004 05:38 PM
Some Guy Did the new songs sound good?
8th July 2004 05:44 PM
doo doo doo Dude Hope you had fun Martha. It's sad to see the once mighty Van Halen reduced to a Sammy Hagar cover band. I hear Michael Anthony sings Dave's Somebody Get Me A Doctor. How was that?
8th July 2004 06:04 PM
Martha
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Hope you had fun Martha. It's sad to see the once mighty Van Halen reduced to a Sammy Hagar cover band. I hear Michael Anthony sings Dave's Somebody Get Me A Doctor. How was that?

Ehy doodoodoodude,

Not quite as almighty as they could be. Michael can sing as can Eddie, but they didn't kick ASS as hard as they would have if David had been singing lead. At least this is my opinion.

But I did enJoy myself very much and don't regret going. It was good to see Eddie out there performing again. That made my day. Long live the King.

BTW Can DLR still reach and hold those high notes? Sammy's voice is perfect, but he has none of the high energy that DLR has. Not even close.

Larry D...did you get us a pass on Dylan's tour bus yet?! Tickets on sale this Saturday! hehehehe!
8th July 2004 10:42 PM
glencar Is this tour a sell-out?
8th July 2004 10:57 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is this tour a sell-out?

NO..NOT EVEN CLOSE
Page: 1 2 3