ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© AHannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If you knew there was no God... (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
15th July 2006 11:02 PM
the good
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Humans invented "God" and "Heaven" because they are afraid of death. The mentally weak have to have "Eternal Life" waiting for them after life on earth...if they wouldn't have that to believe in they would be crippled with constant fear.

They just can't cope with knowing that once you die, it's over...lights out, nothing. You die, worms eat you or you get turned into ash, and you get turned into dirt. Eventually, our sun will go supernova, and we'll all be cosmic dust in the vast airless void of space.

I figure that I'm here for a relatively short amount of time. I'm damn well gonna make the best of it. I'm fine with dyin and the big dirt nap.

I think a lot of that is true, but do you really think the whole of human religion can be understood as the creation of a fairly tale hereafter so that no one need fear death? Haven't you ever had a "religious" experience, like simply lying on the beach on a clear night and staring up at sky, and wondering how the fuck it all came to be, that was really unrelated to any type of afterlife wish ful fillment? You never had that "oceanic" feeling, which convinced you the universe was simply too grand and beautiful to be the result of quirky sub atomic rules about attraction and repulsion? In the end, I think a sense of awe at the vastness of creation does more to sustain religious feeling than any child-like conception of life everlasting.
[Edited by the good]
16th July 2006 10:08 AM
StickyFishFingers I'm an athiest & don't feel the need to believe in God. Sometimes I often ponder though if God is real it would be funny if one of the less popular religions was the one true religion. For example imagine if the Jehova's Witnesses religion was the one true religion & at the end of the world (for whatever reason that may be), everyone of all religious and non-religious backgrounds is waiting to see if they can get into heaven only to find out that only the Jehova's will be allowed into the party - I think there would be a lot of people in for a shock...
16th July 2006 05:20 PM
Chuck Lethargy,

'Dumb All Over' is from the album 'You Are What You Is' (1981)

Review
by Steve Huey

You Are What You Is was another of Frank Zappa's periodic post-Over-Nite Sensation efforts that concentrated on tight songwriting supported by satirical lyrics. Originally a two-record set featuring 20 songs, You Are What You Is skewered a variety of targets, from teenagers, punk rock, disco, and country music to the media, yuppies, the beauty-and-fitness industry, upper-class vice, religious hypocrisy, suicide, and the military draft — all the trappings of Reagan-era America. Occasionally, Zappa's satirical points seem ill-thought-out, if not unnecessarily malicious; "Jumbo Go Away" is perhaps the most offensive song in Zappa's huge canon of potentially offensive songs, a tale of a whining, VD-riddled groupie who is portrayed as deserving the punch in the face she gets from an irritated musician. Despite that misstep, though, You Are What You Is is quite ambitious in scope and in general one of Zappa's most accessible later-period efforts; it's a showcase for his songwriting skills and his often acute satirical perspective, with less of the smutty humor that some listeners find off-putting.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47E1CDB4AAB7520C59C3848CCB072E400CD63FB8A1B2C5A5DD5B47F4688196AEB53E68098F2FB39B366AEF931A65A0FD586EB5CFDDB6C3E3B9D8EDB&sql=10:3avsa9ygb23f

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)