ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other Favorite Bands Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
06-14-03 07:32 PM
Mr T and for the record

Audioslave: Good
Rage Against the Machine(first album in particular): Great
Soundgarden: Superb

I think its gonna take another album or two for me to consider Audioslave a real band, but I do like them
06-14-03 07:36 PM
FM Some boring facts no-one cares about -

I like :

David Bowie
Led Zep
Pink Floyd
The Who
Beatles
Cream
Clapton
Blur
Radiohead
Suede
Pulp

Damn England has produced some fine music and as
a Scot that ain't easy to say ;-)

Bob Dylan
Velvet Underground
Lou Reed
John Cale
White Stripes

I am 27 and neither of my friends understand this.

Fraser

"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
06-14-03 08:12 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Mr T wrote:
I think anyone who thinks there's a huge gap between the styles of the Who and the Stones would SERIOUSLY do well to broaden their horizons. anyone here ever listen to a record not in 4/4 time? anyone listen to classical?

Listening to all the 500 hundred year old nazi elevator music in the world isn't going to make the Who into a Stones clone. You are whacked for your daddyio on that one, dude.
06-14-03 08:20 PM
Mr T I'm not sure I even know what that means

but if it means you think that Whiskey in the Jar is a classical - then I don't think I'm the one who doesn't know what their talking about

but maybe its just me - I mean - thinking all songs that use 99% nothing but major chords & R&B rhythm follow the same level of simplicity. your right, I must be a fucking idiot
06-14-03 08:33 PM
FM >Whiskey in the Jar

Love the Metallica version.

Fraser

"I drink from the cup of denial"
06-14-03 08:42 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Mr T wrote:

but maybe its just me - I mean - thinking all songs that use 99% nothing but major chords & R&B rhythm follow the same level of simplicity. your right, I must be a fucking idiot

Except you weren't saying all rock and roll is the same as a general proposition. Within rock, you were saying the Who were Stones clones, which is just not true. I mean its just way off. They followed widely different paths. Ultimately, when their sound coalesced, the Who were unclonable and/or unclonavistic.
06-14-03 08:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I also find it hard to see how you ignore that Led Zeppelin had one of the most origional sounds ever<

Right on. Just don't tell that to John Mayall, Paul Butterfield, or Mike Bloomfield(well you can't tell him cause he died.). They probably would disagree with you.

Now, I'd also like to know what reading music, or for that matter, master musicianship has to do with anything. It is my considered opinion, and I think we've butted heads on this before, that virtuosity sucks the very life out of rock music. Virtuoso musicians, especially in rock music, get so concerned over playing the proper notes, that they forget that it's supposed to be FUN. In my opinion, rock n roll should not be pretty, or to overly thought out.

Now, to answer your question, do I listen to anyone besides the Stones who actually read music...I honestly don't know.
I imagine Bob Dylan reads music, Bowie probably does. But I never really bothered to find out. It doesn't matter. I don't care if they read music or not. Here is what I care about...does the music move me. Period. Led Zepplin does not move me. Queen does not move me. Audioslave does not move me. If those bands do something for you, great, I'm glad you like it...and you are certainly not alone. But that shit puts me to sleep. I'm sorry if that pisses you off, but that is just how it is.

BTW, Nirvana was 10 times better than Soundgarden ever was.
06-14-03 09:28 PM
Mr T well - you'd make a great air guitarist then

keeping yourself infatuated entirely with the genre or rock n roll is what takes all the life out of music. If anything - ROCK is about playing, and being limited to, the proper notes - you find a lot more key changes and versatility outside of the shit you listen to, and yet, you decide to call that the result of musical freedom, not lack of ability

but whatever dude - I've stopped caring right now. If you've gotten to the age you have with such a stubborn opinion, I'll just leave you be. Afterall, arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win - your still retarded
06-14-03 09:31 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mr T wrote:
and for the record

Audioslave: Good
Rage Against the Machine(first album in particular): Great
Soundgarden: Superb

I think its gonna take another album or two for me to consider Audioslave a real band, but I do like them

Gosh!
06-14-03 10:35 PM
Phog Husker Du
White Stripes
AC/DC
Dylan
Foo Fighters
Clash
Warren Zevon
Minutemen
Rage Against The Machine
Ramones
Neil Young
Frank Black
Mike Watt
Soundgarden
Circle Jerks
Public Enemy
Little Richard
Squeeze
Black Flag
Hendrix
Howlin' Wolf
Metallica
Fishbone
Fugazi
Donnas
Cramps
Eddie Cochrane
Muddy Waters
Pixies
Elvis Presley
Elvis Costello
Black Sabbath
Replacements
Hound Dog Taylor
Meat Puppets
Chuck Berry
Toots and the Maytals
Otis Redding
Dead Kennedys
Bo Diddley
Little Walter
Sex Pistols
Jerry Lee Lewis
Hank Williams
Bob Marley
Led Zeppelin
and my personal favorites.....

BACKSTREET BOYS!!!!
06-14-03 10:39 PM
Sir Stonesalot So then really what you are saying then Mr T, is that we all have to like whatever you like, for the reasons you like, or we are retarded?

Why am I being any more stubborn than you?

Why are you getting your panties all in a twist?

If Soundgarden was superb, then Mudhoney was immaculate.

I said it before, good music is whatever moves you. We are different people, what moves you differs from what moves me. I don't understand why that pisses you off so much. Is it that someone who isn't even a musician rejects your music theory as piffle?

Chill out. I don't care what you subject your ears to. But I know what won't be going in mine!
06-14-03 10:55 PM
Beastie Bry Anybody here like the Beastie Boys? I mean, it's not just all rap, the guys can play punk, rock, and funk!!!
06-14-03 11:17 PM
Mr T
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So then really what you are saying then Mr T, is that we all have to like whatever you like, for the reasons you like, or we are retarded?

uhhh - way off....
06-14-03 11:20 PM
Soul Survivor SS, I think Mr T is trying to say that theres more out there besides Stones. He's trying to tell you to listen to more stuff

But T, SS likes what he likes so leave it at that....its a pretty stupid argument

I dont take sides, I have my own side
06-14-03 11:40 PM
sammy davis jr. Off the top of me head.......
The Beatles
Radiohead
White Srripes
Bob Marley
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Jason Faulkner
Rory Gallagher
Twilight Singers
Al Green
Coldplay

06-14-03 11:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot >keeping yourself infatuated entirely with the genre or rock n roll is what takes all the life out of music. If anything - ROCK is about playing, and being limited to, the proper notes - you find a lot more key changes and versatility outside of the shit you listen to, and yet, you decide to call that the result of musical freedom, not lack of ability<

>your still retarded<

Way off huh? Those were your words, not mine.

Thanks for the music lesson Mr. Professor. I'm throwing out all my Clash albums and buying up every Styx album I can find. How could I have been so stupid. Imagine, listening to music that I enjoy...and all this time I should have been listening to all that great, souless drivel that bores the life out of me....just because the musicians can read music and play arpeggios(or whatever the hell they are called.).

You crack me up dude. My focus is just SO NARROW!!! LOL!

I have about 3000 or so CDs in my collection. It ranges from Rock to Pop to Reggae to Jazz to Funk to Blues to Country to Punk to Do-wop. You have no fucking clue as to what I listen to. But I can guarantee you one thing pal, I only listen to what I like. And it ain't up to you to decide what that is. And I thank God for that.

You are just like those stupid assed music critics at Rolling Stone...clueless and dazzled by bullshit.
06-15-03 12:14 AM
Soul Survivor Perfectly said!
06-15-03 12:18 AM
Dan
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Mr. T...I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I will KEEP ON saying it....Led Zepplin is one of the single biggest over-rated bands ever in the history of music.

Now that honor belongs to either U2, Pearl Jam or the Doors but then again I hardly ever listen to Led Zeppelin any more except to occassionally throw on the (vinyl) Presence which is actually one of their most under-rated albums.
06-15-03 12:30 AM
Dan Throwrag
Ramones
Cheap Trick
David Bowie
Therapy? (nearly shot a wad when I saw they were opening for the Stones in Belgium)
Faith No More
Supergrass
Spice Girls (you think I am kidding...?)
Melanie C
Iron Maiden
New York Dolls
Stooges
Breeders/Kelley Deal 6000/Amps/Pixies/Josephine Wiggs Experience and any other side projects I may or may not have heard of
Rammstein
Lush
David Bowie
Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction
The Humpers
Suicide Kings (Long Beach early 80s version)
Belly
Mudhoney
NY Loose
Pretenders
Faster Pussycat
Grotus
AC/DC
Mr Bungle
Melvins
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Pixies
Geraldine Fibbers
Ethyl Meatplow
Nine Inch Nails
Misfits/Samhain/Danzig (1st 4 albums only)
Alice Cooper
Cypress Hill
Public Enemy
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Dickies
Motorhead

06-15-03 05:44 AM
stonedinaustralia well for mine SS and Mr.T are just giving the same old argument another run through

and "rock and roll" is only a small part of the argument - it applies to all music...indeed,it apples to all the arts and is a question how much you let science take control of the primal urge to simply express something

the romantic and the classical dichotomy

form over substance - but isn't the media the message??

ultimately i'm on ss's side on this one - i want to feel the fire - not admire the brushwork

and as he says, what ever moves you is right for you - so i guess i'm resigned to the fact that not everybody in the world loves hank williams and there's nothing i can do about it

06-15-03 06:09 AM
luxury1 Prince fan thru and thru---although you cant get much wierder than him, but what a fucking talent.
Jamiroqui--where they been anyway??
Sade
Al Green
Stevie Ray Vaughn--damn.
Chili Peppers
Jimmy Cliff and Toots are are my fave Jamaicians!!
06-15-03 08:07 AM
Sir Stonesalot Wha?

You mean to tell me that there are actually people who exist who DO NOT love Hank Williams. That's just crazy. Everyone loves Hank Williams....don't they?

Funny thing about those Williams'...talent seems to skip a generation. Hank Jr. is a twat, but Hank III is fantastic. I just got a Johnny Cash tribute album that Hank III does "Wreck of the Ol' 97"...and you'd SWEAR that it was his Grandpappy singing it.

And as for the form over substance debate...and for me that is all it is...a debate...it's one of those rare things that I am absolutely passionate about. I have my opinion on the matter, and I can & will defend it to the death. The thing that pissed me off with Mr T was that he assumed that he knew what I listen to....and he has no clue. I guess he doesn't understand that I just LISTEN to things differently than he does. He listens for players to play things a certain way, if they play perfectly, and if they play within a certain structure. I listen for the emotion expressed in the music.

He also assumes that the people that I listen to can't play, and can't read music. Of course that is just plain stupid. Firstly, he doesn't know who I listen to. I guess it never occurred to him that many of these artists CHOOSE to play with substance over form ON PURPOSE because the style helps them express the emotions and ideas that they wish to get across. To me music is much much more than mere musicianship. Able musicians are a dime a dozen.
Musicians that can transfer ideas into emotion and energy, and then find the will to let it flow from them...well, those cats are a rare breed.

So there ya go.
06-15-03 08:27 AM
Nellcote J.Geils Band
Peter Wolf
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Foghat
Led Zeppelin
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Solomon Burke
Lucinda Williams
Elvis Costello
Rory Gallagher
The Who
Aerosmith
Rod Stewart
Faces
Bob Marley
Ziggy Marley
Dave Edmunds
Zachary Richard
Bruce Springsteen
George Thorogood
Bon Jovi
James Earl Hendrix
Ian McGlagan
Johnny Winter
Rodney Crowell
Beausoleil
Los Lobos
Clifton Chenier
Chuck Berry
Boston
Howlin Wolf
John Hiatt
John Mellencamp
Neil Young
U2
Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Terry Reid
Chris Jagger
David Bowie
The Offspring (why don't YOU get a job?)
Lit
Eric Clapton

Yeah, that's it, in no particular order. Cycle any of these in and out, at any time, how much better can life get?

06-15-03 09:44 AM
Mr T retarded to persist in an arguement - not in your opinions. if there are any questions - read it again

"You are just like those stupid assed music critics at Rolling Stone...clueless and dazzled by bullshit."

and your a dick, equally as opinionated with less foundation. I hope it feels good - being so right all the time. trust me, you know even less about me
[Edited by Mr T]
06-15-03 12:30 PM
full moon Stones, Zeppelin, Doors, The Black Crowes, REM, Floyd, Bob Marley, Pumpkins, The Cure, Radiohead, Coldplay, Genesis, Yes, Moody Blues, Dio, Sabbath, Depeche Mode, Tom petty, Mazzy Star, Bauhaus, Siouxsie And The banshees, ELO, The Police, ACDC , Fleetwood mac, BOWIE, Rush, Cheaptrick, Styx................etc..........
06-15-03 12:49 PM
Factory Girl I don't like Chris Cornell voice. However, I do like the song "Spoonman".
06-15-03 12:52 PM
Gimme Shelter I almost forgot:

Bob Marley
Guns & Roses
Bob Dylan
The Cranberries
Counting Crows
Simon & Garfunkel
Social Distortion
Santana
Radiohead
Queen
The Ramones
Nine Inch Nails
Pet Shop Boys
Motley Crue
Moody Blues
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Kid Rock
Elton John
Janis Joplin
Jethro Tull
Billy Joel
Jefferson Airplane
Billy Idol
The Cure
Blind Faith
Traffic
The Clash
Blondie
The Allman Brothers
Bad Company
The Eagles
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Violent Femmes
Stone Temple Pilots
Rod Stewart
Steve Miller

Here's my previous list:

The Beatles
The Who
Pink Floyd
The Doors
U2
The Kinks
Jimi Hendrix
Tool
Eric Clapton
AC/DC
David Bowie
Smashing Pumpkins
Lenny Kravitz
Velvet Underground
Dead Kennedys
Led Zeppelin
R.E.M.
Foo Fighters
Aerosmith
Scorpions
Tom Petty
Oasis
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Depeche Mode
The White Stripes
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
The Black Crowes
CCR
Neil Young
CSN
The Grateful Dead
The Sex Pistols
Van Halen
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Marilyn Manson
The Animals
Cream
Henry Rollins
Primus

06-15-03 09:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, being right all the time can be a bitch...but since someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

I'll bet it REALLY tweeks your nose to have people agree with me too.

Tough shit.
06-15-03 09:23 PM
Prodigal Son Well, let's see, in no order:
The Stones
The Beatles
The Who/Pete Townshend
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Led Zeppelin
Steely Dan
The Kinks
The Yardbirds
Elton John
Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
David Bowie
Allman Bros.
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimi Hendrix
Cream
Joni Mitchell
The Beach Boys-damn was Brian Wilson a genius or what?
The Byrds
Bob Marley
Frank Zappa
The Band
Elvis Costello
CCR
Iggy Pop
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Stevie Ray Vaughn
The Clash
The Ramones
B.B. King
Santana
Ray Charles
Graham Parker
Sly & the Family Stone
James Brown
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
early Rod Stewart
Paul Simon
Iggy Pop
The Animals
Van Morrison
Marvin Gaye
more Motown stuff
Little Richard
Johnny Cash
The Flying Burrito Bros./Gram Parsons
Miles Davis
Aretha Franklin
Otis Redding
Wilson Pickett
Curtis Mayfield/The Impressions
Al Green
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd
Jeff Beck
Sam Cooke
The Lovin' Spoonful
Steve Miller
There's a bunch more I like or have a fleeting interest in, but there's the huge crop.
06-15-03 09:27 PM
Mr T
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Yeah, being right all the time can be a bitch...but since someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

I'll bet it REALLY tweeks your nose to have people agree with me too.

Tough shit.

hate to disappoint you - but your the one taking this personally. like I really care who agrees with you
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003