ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other Favorite Bands Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
06-14-03 12:16 AM
Gimme Shelter I'm bored at work again so here is a list of my other favorite bands. Of course the Stones are #1.

The Beatles
The Who
Pink Floyd
The Doors
U2
The Kinks
Jimi Hendrix
Tool
Eric Clapton
AC/DC
David Bowie
Smashing Pumpkins
Lenny Kravitz
Velvet Underground
Dead Kennedys
Led Zeppelin
R.E.M.
Foo Fighters
Aerosmith
Scorpions
Tom Petty
Oasis
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Depeche Mode
The White Stripes
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
The Black Crowes
CCR
Neil Young
CSN
The Grateful Dead
The Sex Pistols
Van Halen
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Marilyn Manson
The Animals
Cream
Henry Rollins
Primus
I could go on and on, but that is enough for now.
06-14-03 08:55 AM
Beastie Bry I like most of the bands you mention, but have you ever heard Audioslave's album? Woooo, boy, that rocks!!!!

"And underneath the arch, it turned into a march, and then he found the spark to set that fucker off!!"
06-14-03 09:32 AM
steel driving hammer Black Crowes,
The Faces,
Lightning Hopkins,
Hooker/Waters
The list is endless w/ good low down raw country blues.
06-14-03 09:46 AM
stewed & Keefed Your right there Beastie, the Audioslave cd is great
06-14-03 09:54 AM
Mr T no particular order

Black Crowes
Van Halen
Beatles
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Dream Theater
Aerosmith
Gov't Mule
Tool
Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Jeff Beck
Soundgarden/Chris Cornell
Rage Against The Machine
King's X
Alice In Chains
Guns N Roses
Cream/anything Clapton
Rush
Stray Cats/Setzer
Steely Dan
Queen
Collective Soul
Black Sabbath
Santana
The Who
Pink Floyd
06-14-03 10:50 AM
Gimme Shelter Audioslave is great. They are playing Loppapluza this summer. I may go check them out.
06-14-03 12:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot Audioslave.

Just what we need, another band that wants to be Led Zepplin.

It reminds me of the radio station that is playing at the beginning of Queens Of The Stoneage "Songs For The Deaf" album...."The Klone, we play more music that sounds like everyone else, than anyone else. All repeats, all the time..."
06-14-03 12:36 PM
Mr T yes - more Sex Pistols rip offs would really do the music world some good
06-14-03 12:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot No. Rip Off bands don't do anyone any good.

That was my whole point.

My favorite artists don't really sound like anyone except themselves.

Stones, Dylan, Clash, Bob Marley, David Bowie, XTC, Tom Waits, Robbie Fulks, The White Stripes, Nick Cave, Muddy Waters, The Beatles, The Specials, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, The Who, Prince, Johnny Cash...and the Sex Pistols. There is lots of stuff that I like...but if it ain't original I'll not be calling it a "favorite", you know what I mean?
06-14-03 01:16 PM
steel driving hammer I'm honestly confused here. A rip off band?

I look at it like their not ripping anyone off. Thats where inspiration comes in. They are inspired by what they hear which inturn, is really just an influence.

I would love to hear some new Stones rip off bands!

That why I love The Black Crowes and anyone who tries to be like my boys.

I say, bring it on, we need music like that today.

The Open G is open and welcome to anyone.
06-14-03 01:18 PM
Mr T I dunno - the Who sound a lot closer to the Stones than Audioslave does to Led Zeppelin

I also find it hard to see how you ignore that Led Zeppelin had one of the most origional sounds ever
06-14-03 02:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot SDH, it is one thing to be "influenced". It is quite another to go beyond influence into the realm of lifting another band's sound or style.

The Stones were certainly influenced heavily by others, but they took those influences and turned them into something different and new. That is the mark of a great band. Simply trying to sound like some other band doesn't take much creativity.

Mr. T...I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I will KEEP ON saying it....Led Zepplin is one of the single biggest over-rated bands ever in the history of music. It is easy to get caught up in the bombast, but when you cut to the quick, there isn't much substance. Original? Is that why they had to pay Muddy Waters a big hunk of cash for "Whole Lotta Love"? Led Zepplin suffered from having too many "lead" players. Each thought that they were the lead player...and they all ended up trying overshadow each other. The end result is a muddled pile of sound that can't make up it's mind as to what it wants to be. And Robert PLant screeching all over everything does not help one bit. Now, lots of people like that. Great for them. Have at it, and enjoy. I'm not buying what they are selling...and I never will.

I would also love to hear how The Who sound like the Stones. The Who's two guitar attack is legendary. I love how Pete does that "weave" with himself. Charlie Watts is a Keith Moon clone. And of course the Ox is just a Wyman wanna-be. And the corallation between Jagger and Roger is unmistakable. Yeah, I can really see where you are coming from.

Influence is a dangerous thing my friends. If you are influenced by shit, you will be shit as well.
06-14-03 02:33 PM
steel driving hammer Correct, the Stones were influenced by others IE Waters/Berry when they started, just like any band, but they didn't just stick w/ that style like other bands do when they copy. Thats all it seems these copy bands (Audioslave) are doing. Nothing original and they don't have a sound/talent of thier own.

The Stones though, they Metamorphsisissised into something great.

Sometimes the road less travelled, is less travelled for a reason...
06-14-03 02:48 PM
Mr T "The Stones were certainly influenced heavily by others, but they took those influences and turned them into something different and new. That is the mark of a great band. Simply trying to sound like some other band doesn't take much creativity."

uhmmm - that's exaclty what Led Zeppelin did - just a greater improvement in musicianship. If there were too many leads for you, well, then that's your prerogative of holding rock n roll attitude to a higher esteem than the use of instruments. Personally, I think any real music afficionado shouldn't waste their time taking rock n roll so seriously anyway. The differences between Tom Petty & the Ramones are completely inconsequential if you compare them to Gerswhin or Ravel

and there's no point breaking it down member by member(half the members of the Stones, particularly Wtts & Wyman were never that into the Stones thing anyway) - overall, the Who is almost a clone of the Stones, they took the exact same R&B roots, and turned it into the same thing - at least until midway through the 70's. Now, if you wanna say the Stones could never write Baba O Riley and the Who could never write Waiting on a Friend - I'll agree, but the Who sure as shit wrote their share of Its Only Rock N Rolls

also - having your own sound and having talent are two different things. Nirvana had their own sound - look how much I care
06-14-03 02:51 PM
Factory Girl Iggy Pop solo and with the Stooges
Led Zep
Frank Sinatra
Alice In Chains
Mad Season (Layne on vocals!!)
Patti Smith
06-14-03 03:00 PM
Pattie
AC/DC
Dylan
Pink Floyd
The Who
Queen
Bad Company ( well, atleast that song "feel like making love")
Jefferson Airplane
Metallica
Hellacopters
Miles Davis
Rush (live stuff)
so many bands, too many to list, but I really like Audioslave too
06-14-03 03:01 PM
Pattie
I forgot Led Zep!
and Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen
06-14-03 03:06 PM
steel driving hammer Zeppelin were like a bunch of virgins in high school.

Just a bunch of flash waiting to get fucked.

First they're here, then they're gone...

They were good though, but I can't listen to them anymore.

The Stones are the real deal.

Even if the Stones broke up in the 70's, they'd still be the real deal.
06-14-03 03:10 PM
Pattie
Stones rule
06-14-03 03:45 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No. Rip Off bands don't do anyone any good.

That was my whole point.

Rip Off Records Rules!

06-14-03 05:02 PM
Soul Survivor AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Green Day
Mick Jagger (Solo)
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Who
KISS
White Stripes
The Beatles

And on a side note, about the whole Led Zeppelin rip off thing............

Led Zeppelin did a bit more ripping off than the casual listener would know. Listen to "You Need Love" by Willie Dixon, and then listen to "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin, it's almost the exact same song!!! I believe when every band is formed, they are the most creative and original band out there....it all depends what they do with their creativity. It's like a life....everyone has one, it just depends on what happens along the way that makes you what you are...

Zeppelin did do some copying, but they did play a big part and the creation of Heavy Metal, and I still enjoy listening to them...
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
06-14-03 05:18 PM
Mr T I could list dozens of songs that sound like Whole Lotta Love. Argue against that song all you want - Zep II wasn't that great

now Zep iv - that's one damn fine album. The Ocean & Over The Hills & Far Away are killer songs too
06-14-03 05:20 PM
Mr T I could list dozens of songs that sound like Whole Lotta Love. Argue against that song all you want - Zep II wasn't that great

now Zep iv - that's one damn fine album. The Ocean & Over The Hills & Far Away are killer songs too
06-14-03 05:20 PM
Soul Survivor I like Zep II

Whole Lotta Love gets old, but What Is And What SHould Never Be, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, Bring It On Home are awesome tracks
06-14-03 05:24 PM
Soul Survivor I think Zep IV is overrated

Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Misty Mountain Hop are good

Stairway To Heaven is OK but its the most overrated piece of crap since Macca's yesterday ( as Steelie said)

When The Levee breaks is decent

I dont know, I just dont like it as a whole.

It's like Van Halens "1984" album

Everyone thinks its their best because it has "Panama" "Jump" and "Hot For Teacher". But Jump is one of my least favorite songs of all time, and I kind of get tired of Panama and Hot For Teacher...

There are good songs on 1984 though, Drop Dead Legs, House Of Pain

Check it out
06-14-03 05:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK, well here's the difference in our viewpoints dude....I love Rock N Roll, and I DO take it seriously. It IS a serious artform. Just because there is humor and frivolity in the music doesn't mean that it should just be sloughed off as a lark. There IS a difference between Tom Petty and The Ramones...a HUGE difference. Two completely different approaches.

I think you are WAY off base on the Stones & The Who. The roots may be the same, but they went in 2 completely different directions. One could never mistake one band for the other.

I do accept your premise in that the Stones and Zep attempted to do the same thing...take influences and make them their own. Obviously, I feel the Stones did a MUCH better job of it. I'd travel across the globe to see the Stones...but I wouldn't walk across the street to see Zep. The Stones are still a relevent band...Zep is not.

Soulie...I don't think Zep had much at all to do with the invention of Heavy Metal. That distiction belongs to Black Sabbath and Motorhead. Well, decent Heavy Metal, anyway.

Nothing good has ever been influenced by Led Zepplin.
06-14-03 06:36 PM
Soul Survivor SS, your right. Rock and roll IS an artform, and it is to live for. I adore rock. The term "Rock Music" covers a huge boundry of music. Not ALL rock music is about loud guitars...

As for Zep, your probably right. Now that I think about it, Black Sabbath did probably have the biggest hand in making metal what it is today. Zep was just heavy blues rock. I think the only thing by Zep that could be considered somewhat original and inspiring is Stairway To Heaven. Lots of people have tried to make an epic sounding song like that. Zeppelin had to do it in 8 minutes, the stones did it with Gimme Shelter in about 4.

Fuck that shit about Black Sabbath being spooky sounding....Throw on Gimme Shelter, or Midnight Rambler (Off Let IT Bleed) and then tell me whats scary
06-14-03 06:56 PM
Beastie Bry
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Audioslave.

Just what we need, another band that wants to be Led Zepplin.

It reminds me of the radio station that is playing at the beginning of Queens Of The Stoneage "Songs For The Deaf" album...."The Klone, we play more music that sounds like everyone else, than anyone else. All repeats, all the time..."

Fuck that shit. Audioslave is not trying to be like anyone else. The guys are just from two different bands and they meshed it all together into a brand new thing. I think it's a great band that rocks, very, very loud.
06-14-03 07:00 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Mr T wrote:
overall, the Who is almost a clone of the Stones, they took the exact same R&B roots, and turned it into the same thing

Explain in detail why you believe this to be true.
06-14-03 07:31 PM
Mr T I think anyone who thinks there's a huge gap between the styles of the Who and the Stones would SERIOUSLY do well to broaden their horizons. anyone here ever listen to a record not in 4/4 time? anyone listen to classical? SS, do you listen to any musicians BESIDES the Stones that can actually read music? The Who and the Stones were probably only taht similar for about a 5 year period - but the difference is definitly not night & day

and you gotta hand it to Led Zeppelin - they've done a pretty good job staying relevant for a dead band - yor joking if you think you can take that from them. They were around for just about a decade - and I hear AT LEAST 5 times as much Zep on the radio as I do Stones.

Yeah - your right, no one listens to Led Zeppelin anymore
[Edited by Mr T]
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003