ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Midnight ramblin' babies!!
© Christopher Simon Sykes with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dave Grohl disses Mick Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
June 5th, 2005 05:43 PM
telecaster
quote:
Blind Dog McGhee wrote:

Not the same thing. BB, Muddy, JLH, or Willie are not rock stars. With the exception of maybe Willie the dirty hippie, all aged gracefully unlike you know who.

You guys need to make up your mind

Are you mad that:

1. The Stones are still around and selling out shows
despite the fact they have the higest ticket prices in history
2. Charging too little or too much
3. Have more gold records than any act in history

What is it you guys are mad about?

June 5th, 2005 06:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tele...who are you talking to?

I'm not mad about anything.

I love that the Stones are still out and about. But that's because I'm a fan.

I just think we fans need to recognize that when people who are NOT fans cut on the Stones...it's nothing to get hung about. In fact, it's to be expected. The Stones have made themselves easy targets for it. It's just the way it is.

Hey, if you wanna close your eyes and pretend that it's still 1972...go ahead. Makes no diff to me. But if yer gonna point the finger at Dave Grohl, you gotta point the finger at the Stones for putting themselves into a position that people like Dave Grohl can cut on them in the first place.
June 5th, 2005 07:15 PM
Blind Dog McGhee I'm not mad at anyone either. Dave was just pointing out the Stones are pretty ridiculous these days. Hell, they have been for a long time now. So what they still sell out concerts. Good for them and good for those who enjoy the show. Doesn't make them any less ridiculous.
June 5th, 2005 08:47 PM
telecaster "I just think we fans need to recognize that when people who are NOT fans cut on the Stones...it's nothing to get hung about. In fact, it's to be expected. The Stones have made themselves easy targets for it. It's just the way it is."

SS as usual you are 100% correct. The Stones are targets because they have taken it further than any rock band in history. By far. Mick did said that and he is right

This summer these Dave Grohl fans should check out

The Beatles
Elvis
Doors
Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Buddy Holly

And Nirvana!

The Stones are a target
Michael Jordan is a target
As is that soccer English dude Beckham
And Tiger Woods
And Michael Shumacker

When you are the best you are a target

"Hey, if you wanna close your eyes and pretend that it's still 1972...go ahead. Makes no diff to me. But if yer gonna point the finger at Dave Grohl, you gotta point the finger at the Stones for putting themselves into a position that people like Dave Grohl can cut on them in the first place."

"point the finger at the Stones for putting themselves into a position that people like Dave Grohl can cut on them in the first place."

SS, the entire grunge phony facade was to blame everything and everyone and offer nothing. I present to you as evidence...Dave Grohl....

You take Dave Grohl's word

I will take what Clapton, Townsend, Billy Gibbons, Buddy Guy, BB King, Daltrey, Page, Plant, Hubert, AC/DC, Chrissy Hynde, Bono, John Lee Hooker, Eddie Vedder, George Jones, Jimmy Cliff, etc say about The Stones

Bet I win

You guys must really like this Dave Grohl guy

[Edited by telecaster]
June 5th, 2005 09:30 PM
Dan
quote:
telecaster wrote:
SS, the entire grunge phony facade was to blame everything and everyone and offer nothing.

The term "grunge" was an MTV invention. Nothing more. In other words, a phony facade, therefore I have no clue what music you are really talking about with your sweeping generalization.

quote:

I present to you as evidence...Dave Grohl....

"Nothing to offer...?" I am sure his fans would disagree.

quote:

You take Dave Grohl's word

I don't take his word for anything, I just don't have any problem with what he said, and I don't see any evidence of envy whatsoever.

quote:

I will take what Clapton, Townsend, Billy Gibbons, Buddy Guy, BB King, Daltrey, Page, Plant, Hubert, AC/DC, Chrissy Hynde, Bono, John Lee Hooker, Eddie Vedder, George Jones, Jimmy Cliff, etc say about The Stones

I don't really care what anyone says about the Stones. My musical tastes need no second party validation.

{quote]
Bet I win [/quote]

????

quote:

You guys must really like this Dave Grohl guy

I saw Foo Fighters open for Mike Watt once in 1995. It was okay, nothing memorable. Its kinda fun seeing everybody get all defensive whenever anyone makes a comment about the STones that is anything other than mindless nutswinging. And I don't really see anything wrong with what he said.
June 5th, 2005 09:48 PM
Blind Dog McGhee Hey man, Jordan is a target because he's a tool. He presented one image which was complete bullshit and made lots of $$$ off it so yeah, he's a target all right. There's a book that came out not too long ago about it. As for Grohl, I wish he'd go back to playing drums, I really don't care for his current band.
June 5th, 2005 10:23 PM
corgi37 SIA - Didnt you say goodbye a couple of months ago?

I aint saying no more. I have a splitting headache.
June 7th, 2005 12:12 PM
Saint Sway Fuck this Grohl Fudge Fighter guy!!

Back when the Footards were opening for the Stones on the Bridges tour, Grohl made an appearance on the Daily Show - because, I guess, its hip for the REALLY COOL rock stars to appear on comedy talk shows... yeah, I'm sure Cobain would of done that. Anyway... so he goes on The Daily Show and starts making cracks about Mick. Does anyone remember this? I cant recall what he said, but it was more of the same crap.

WTF???

here's a suggestion for Grohl. The next time you want to talk shit about Mick, make sure you first give a good hard listen to the cheesy poppy alt-rock crap you consistenly churn out. Because anyone who puts out wussy, radio-friendly, cookie-cutter soda pop songs like yours has NO RIGHT to EVER mock the man that gave us Midnight Rambler and Sympathy For the Devil. You got that Hoss?

that ASS CLOWN Grohl's music has more in common with Creed and Nicklecrap and Limp Bizcrap than it ever will with true rock legends like The Stones or Zep. So just SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I do agree with the guy on one thing...
DG: "I hope that at some point I'll either break my legs and not be able to crawl to the stage or lose my love of music."

yes I definately hope you break your legs and are no longer able to crawl on stage. THE SOONER THE BETTER.

and if your gonna talk any more shit about the Stones than please do us all a favor and take one in the head like your buddy Kurt did.
June 7th, 2005 12:22 PM
FPM C10 What HE said!
June 7th, 2005 12:40 PM
Candace Youngblood Shit, man. I like Dave Grohl and the Stones.

And anyone can say whatever the fuck they want about the Stones. Who fucking cares what his opinion is? I just think it's a little harsh to say: "if you can't say anything nice then shoot yourself in the fucking head."

Did the person bashing Dave Grohl for making cheesy pop music ever listen to his band 'Probot'?

June 7th, 2005 12:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Candace Youngblood wrote:

Did the person bashing Dave Grohl for making cheesy pop music ever listen to his band 'Probot'?

seriously? Probot is horrendous. Thats not music its just noise. Really bad noise.
June 7th, 2005 12:51 PM
Candace Youngblood Hey, I didn't say I liked it. I've only heard one song. It was okay. I just meant that he doesn't always put out commercial friendly lukewarm pop music.

I heard the one with Lemmy from Motorhead and I thought it was okay.
June 7th, 2005 01:00 PM
Dan Dave Grohl the peacemaker:

According to Megastar.co.uk, FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl recently managed to patch things up between Justin Hawkins of THE DARKNESS and MOTÖRHEAD's Lemmy.

"Justin told me that the band had a beef with Lemmy. So I called Lemmy on the cell. He lives a block away," Grohl told CMU Daily.

"Lemmy had said he didn't like Justin's voice and Justin had said something back. You know… playground crap. Probably journalists stoking it all up and making work for Uncle Dave.

"But I sat them down with a couple of drinks and — hey presto! — you got a monsters of rock summit."
June 7th, 2005 01:05 PM
Candace Youngblood Okay, I take back what I said. If Dave Grohl things Justin Hawkins is a "monster of rock" then he's fucking retarded.
June 7th, 2005 01:08 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Candace Youngblood wrote:
Hey, I didn't say I liked it. I've only heard one song. It was okay. I just meant that he doesn't always put out commercial friendly lukewarm pop music.

you're absolutely right. When he's not busy getting rich off of commercial friendly bubblegum music, he somehow manages to find the time to put out awful and unbearable to listen to mosh metal.

Good for him

my point is that he would sell his soul if he could write Jumpin Jack Flash. So until he does, he can keep his pie hole shut about Jagger.

Grohl's just a shit stain on the musical landscape. Jagger is a legend.
[Edited by Saint Sway]
June 7th, 2005 01:23 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
my point is that he would sell his soul if he could write Jumpin Jack Flash.

WOW thats quite an assumption to make.

And hey tough guy - are you the type of person who would kill someone just for talking smack about the Stones or just wish they would do it to themselves? You are taking this WAYYYY too seriously but I am sure Mick really appreciates your feelings on his behalf.
June 7th, 2005 01:29 PM
Candace Youngblood word.
June 7th, 2005 02:51 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

WOW thats quite an assumption to make.

not really. I've heard the Foo music. So I can call it an educated guess. You can't honestly listen to the cheese he's put out and tell me differently.

quote:
Dan wrote:
And hey tough guy - are you the type of person who would kill someone just for talking smack about the Stones or just wish they would do it to themselves?

Great question! And the answer, of course, is yes.
In fact, I just put a hit out on Grohl.

quote:
Dan wrote:
You are taking this WAYYYY too seriously but I am sure Mick really appreciates your feelings on his behalf.

Um, yeah, OK. I'm not the only one, friend.

peace
June 7th, 2005 04:20 PM
FPM C10 I understand Saint Sway's opinion completely. If Grohl (or anyone else) wants to diss the Stones for their ticket prices or their odious "fan club", I'll stand back and let them have their say. If a middle aged "rock star" who will never surpass the work he did when he was in his 20s wants to go on TV and join the chorus of tired assholes telling jokes about the Stones being too old, then fuck him and his tired wimpy band. I saw the Foo Fighters open for the Stones at the Meadowlands, and it was embarrassing. They were obviously completely out of their league, they got schooled, and Grohl still hasn't gotten over it.

I thought Grohl was a good-to-great drummer with Nirvana. I saw the Foo Fighters on Letterman when they debutted and thought it was pretty good, but then the album came out and I was like "WTF? Where'd their balls go?" Now I think Grohl is an ass, and nothing he does is as good as his drumming was in the early 90s. He annoys me with his pedestrian guitar playing, tepid songwriting, bland singing and incessant breathing.

As far as Mick being a diva throwing a fit about his socks - I hope he IS! He's earned it. Dave Grohl hasn't. If he's what passes for a "rock star" these days, then the music biz is just about done.
June 7th, 2005 10:16 PM
corgi37 See how we are all linked?

Grohl lives a block away from Lemmy.

Lemmy and his Motorhead guys are touring Oz soon, supporting Motley Crue.

I live in Oz.

Small world, eh?

And, another point. Ok, the Stones are in it for the money (again, i say, do YOU work for free?). So what? As Keith has said often, what else is he supposed to do? I would like to think they consider themselves musicians.

Grohl is just a pop star.

Anyway, i look forward to Grohl quitting music soon, and opening a florist shop or something. He wont want to be a success for much longer, surely. I mean, he's been around for 15 years or so.

And, after 5 years of anonyimity, he might do a reality show ala what Inxs is doing, to find a new singer for NIRVANA 2!!
June 7th, 2005 10:31 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Dan wrote:

I saw Foo Fighters open for Mike Watt once in 1995. It was okay, nothing memorable.

I think you just proved the Grohl naysayers point of why he and his opinions mean less than jack shit

Dave Grohl sucks

end of story
June 7th, 2005 10:42 PM
Dan
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I think you just proved the Grohl naysayers point of why he and his opinions mean less than jack shit

Dave Grohl sucks

end of story

Judging from some of the responses here, his opinion seems to mean an awful lot.
June 8th, 2005 12:12 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Dan wrote:

Judging from some of the responses here, his opinion seems to mean an awful lot.

simply a matter of perception
June 8th, 2005 02:27 AM
Taras Dear Friends,

I'm really pissed off with these words I heard from
Grohl... I cannot see the reason why he may kick the shit
to Mick. But who the fuck is Dave Grohl??? Ex-drummer
of Nirvana - great band, but thanks to Kurt Kobain,
nor Grohl either Novoselik haven't been the PERSONS
in the band - they were just a musicians... And there
is nothing to talk about them anymore...
I want to say that I've change my respect to Dave Grohl,
he is dirty faggot, he even doesn't respect the age of
the people, this makes me really thick. I hope Mick
didn't heard the words of this foo-cocksucker.

Long life to The Rolling Stones!!!

Respectfully,
Taras Stanislaus Ljubchik
June 8th, 2005 02:43 AM
beer
quote:
Taras wrote:

I want to say that I've change my respect to Dave Grohl,
he is dirty faggot, he even doesn't respect the age of
the people, this makes me really thick.

------

Hahaha!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

!!!

priceless.

-
June 8th, 2005 03:34 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
SIA - Didnt you say goodbye a couple of months ago?

corgi - i'm confused - what are you talking about??

i didn't say goodbye to anybody or the board or...anything

yours in a state of confusion SIA
June 8th, 2005 05:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I saw the Foo Fighters open for the Stones at the Meadowlands, and it was embarrassing. <

Oh, you mean the first show they did without Pat Smear who quit the band 2 days earlier on live national TV? And they played with a replacement player who had exactly one day to learn the songs, but they went on anyhow to honor their commitment to the Stones? Yeah, I can't believe that wasn't the best show they ever did. I mean, all the indicators for a great show were there....

I didn't care for Probot because I abhor Prog in all it's nasty forms. I did really like his drumming on that Queens of the Stoneage album though. The guy can crash and bash with the best of 'em.

That guy from The Darkness...I hate him. I hate The Darkness period. GACK! But he really digs the Stones...so does that mean that I have to like him? Pfffft! Snowball's chance in hell!

I wish I lived 2 blocks away from Lemmy.

I just got off the phone with Mick....he says he's losing sleep over this whole Grohl thing. The only thing that will make him feel better is to raise the ticket prices some more.

You know what is really retarded? People who wish death on other people simply for making a wisecrack. That is really disturbing.

Corgi...

No, I would not work for free. I expect a fair wage for my efforts. But what Stones Inc is doing is not asking for a fair wage...they are asking for a greedy wage. It's fucking gouging their fanbase. It is completely UN-rock n roll. IMO, anyhow.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
June 8th, 2005 06:53 PM
Saint Sway here's the thing... its not like the guy said, hey what do you think of Jagger? No, the interview asked him : "What's an act you look at and go....Ugh..never let me do that?"

seriously, think about that question for a second. Theres a million acts he could of named and Jagger is who he takes a shot at? C'mon! Thats so fucked up. I mean, I'd understand if he answered "you know the idea of dressing up in clown make up and rapping horrible shit like the Insane Clowne Posse is pretty awful. I hope I never do that!"... or... "Wow! I hope I'm never so talentless that I get busted for lip syncing like Ashley Simpson did" or "Hey, you know that Burger King commercial that Hootie did...." or whatever. But no! The guys 1st thought is let me take a shot at Jagger! C'mon. Sure theres plenty of things you can bust on Mick for, but its pretty weak for the friggin Foo Fighter guy to sit there and single him out.

It would be like if they asked the singer from Matchbox Twenty the same question and he was like "man, that Jimmy Page is a real embarrassment to rock and roll."

that shits just not right. I don't see why some people don't get that.
June 8th, 2005 07:00 PM
Dan Probably ICP or Simpson is just far below the radar for the most people. Also clown makeup is a gimmick, not the sorta thing people evolve into. Excepting Stones 76 that is. And like others have mentioned, its the relentless marketing by Stones Incorporated that places the band first and foremost into people's minds, for good or ill.
June 8th, 2005 07:20 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I saw the Foo Fighters open for the Stones at the Meadowlands, and it was embarrassing. <

Oh, you mean the first show they did without Pat Smear who quit the band 2 days earlier on live national TV? And they played with a replacement player who had exactly one day to learn the songs, but they went on anyhow to honor their commitment to the Stones? Yeah, I can't believe that wasn't the best show they ever did. I mean, all the indicators for a great show were there....

Oh, it's not like Pat Smear pulled a Mick Taylor on them. I remember seeing that on MTV - they did a song with Pat Smear, announced he was quitting, brought the new guy out and did a song with him. Seemed pretty orderly and expected. And was that 2 days before the Meadowlands show? I'll take your word for it. Whatever! Pat Smear wouldn't have made them win over the crowd either.

I like about one Foo Fighters song and I can't even tell you what it is, so make that none. I always put Dave Grohl a few steps up the evolutionary ladder from Jay Leno, but going for a "Mick is so old that...." joke for a cheap laugh puts him right in that same bracket in my book.

Like I said, if he wanted to bitch about ticket prices, I'd be right there with him. But anyone in the rock & roll biz who disses Mick for rocking in his 60s needs to find another line of work. Like maybe talk show sidekick or something.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)