ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Happy Father's Day to all the good rocking dads here!!!
Arthur and Ronnie Wood by Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Taylor aint THAT GREAT!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
06-04-02 03:04 PM
Nellcote Once again Cardinal, your words have placed this thread
where it belongs.

On With The Show

Nellcote
06-04-02 03:05 PM
Joey Just imagine people what Taylor could have done on " Blinded By Rainbows " . Man , he could have had a field day with that one . His fluid , life affirming ,ear drum caressing , soul lifting , precision note launching , liquid , magical fingers are greatly missed by all Stones fans , young and old alike .

" Wantagh Me Ronnie "

Club " Clubby " Joey

Bunny

06-04-02 03:20 PM
Maxlugar If anyone has a boot of Taylor noodling for 20 mintues with the Stones I want it!

I have never heard Taylor go off on anything even close to as time wasting as The Dead, Allman Bros., or Frank Zappa.

I think the people who prefer Ronnie are caught in a time warp of their own. Ronnie has not come close to the player he was in '75-'76 or '78 in years.

And that to me was when The Stones were at their best.

Now, Ronnie is just a faded image of himself. Have you ever seen when a cartoon character takes off real quick and leaves a dusty dotted line image of himself behind?

That is Ronnie now.

I pray for his return to the old form. But the last few tours he gave us crap.

Maxy Von Noodler, C9.2311
06-04-02 03:21 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Joey wrote:
Just imagine people what Taylor could have done on " Blinded By Rainbows " . Man , he could have had a field day with that one . His fluid , life affirming ,ear drum caressing , soul lifting , precision note launching , liquid , magical fingers are greatly missed by all Stones fans , young and old alike .

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, didn't, Joey. Ronnie's what we've got, and, all things considered, he ain't half bad. I lurrve Ronnie, especially on the "Anybody Seen My Baby" music video. That's priceless. He's a Stone, through & through. I agree, though, Taylor'dve made a dent in that song. But he wasn't there. So he didn't. Fin. And Ronnie was. And the song's still rockin'.

Face the musik - Ronnie's what we've got, and, to be honest, would you have it any other way? No, he's not the best. But neither was Brian, and, to be honest, neither's Keith, in terms of pure technichal skill rather than what they do with it. The best techichal player of their instrument in the band's history? Charlie.

I agree wholeheartedly with Our Resident Scholar from the Vatican - it is between the camps of musical styles, and I'll give you that Taylor really had some great numbers.

But in the end, Ronnie is it. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
06-04-02 03:27 PM
Maxlugar It's always funny when Joey cuts and pastes something of mine and gets yelled at by someone who thinks its his.

Sometimes the world is right.

06-04-02 03:33 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
It's always funny when Joey cuts and pastes something of mine and gets yelled at by someone who thinks its his.

Sometimes the world is right.

Now who would possibly-

*Xyzzy looks nervously over the posts.*
*Xyzzy notes the quoted piece o' Joey.*
*Xyzzy hides under a coffee table for the next several years.*
06-04-02 03:36 PM
Joey "But in the end, Ronnie is it. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Don't you agree though that Ronnie doesn't even know what he is playing anymore ??????

His downward spiral continues steadily and unceasing ....

Ronnie is a sad and pathetic shadow of a once promising guitar player............

His creative cupboard is a stark , lonely void threatening to swallow him whole ...........

Agree ???? Disagree ???? Analysis ....Please discuss !!!

-- Thank you

Joey

06-04-02 09:18 PM
Scot Rocks
quote:
"But in the end, Ronnie is it. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Don't you agree though that Ronnie doesn't even know what he is playing anymore ??????

Ronnie is a sad and pathetic shadow of a once promising guitar player............

His creative cupboard is a stark , lonely void threatening to swallow him whole ...........

-- Thank you

Joey

Haha lol Joey your analysis of Ronnie sounds a bit like a description of your rocks off posting career as I think Maxy has said before!!!!!! lol

Mark
06-04-02 10:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Joey wrote:
"But in the end, Ronnie is it. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Aww... yes, now, for the last tour, whose bootlegs &c. I have been pursuing, Ronnie got trashed. Whacked. But, you must remember, during 1974, so did Taylor...

quote:
Joey continued to wrote:

Yes, if he had come straight from the last tour to this one, I'd agree with you. But you must remember: Ronnie's been through detox. And, listening to his interviews, it sounds like he's fixed, like Charlie got fixed from heroin, not Keith's fifty billion attempts. Plus, I think Mick probably roughed him up a bit and said "Now you look here, get fixed and get playin' or I'll toss you out like a towel we used to clean up Bill Wyman's messes with". I think Ronnie really loves this band and wants to stay in it - who wouldn't? He'll have plenty of time to clean the rust off his strings in the studio (although that might tarnish those new tracks a bit... *sigh*... to quote some crazy band, you can't always get what you want...) and in rehearsals up in Toronto. I've got high hopes for Ronnie this time around.

Plus, he's just a likeable guy in general. Taylor was great, but man, watch him in "Gimme Shelter" or any of the concert clips from his era. For the three seconds he's on camera in "Gimme Shelter" he does nothin'. Nothin'. The film centers round Mick, granted, but Taylor (and Bill Wyman, too, but that's a different battle) just stands there, rippin' out the music. You can tell he knows what he's doing, he's just not as emotionally vested in it. Ronnie may take his hands off the guitar and wave and screw a chord or two and so forth, but he's really into it, loves what he's doing. Taylor I think is very happy now playing the blues, a style he loves, plays like a madman, and tried with great success to play the Stones with that style. Ronnie's a choppy old-school rock'n'roller born and bred under the impression that the guitar was a rhythm section instrument, and he plays very well with Keith.

So, here's hoping to a detoxed and happy-fied Ronnie for this tour! I know he's got some life left to suck from the black holed cabinet of creativity...
06-05-02 10:00 AM
Joey 'Haha lol Joey your analysis of Ronnie sounds a bit like a description of your rocks off posting career as I think Maxy has said before!!!!!! '

You make Joey say , Huh ???????

06-05-02 10:15 AM
mattb Taylor's SFTD solo on ya-ya's was done in the studio.
06-05-02 10:55 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl If that's the case it was because of technical (sound) improvement not for performance.
06-05-02 08:02 PM
Duane in Houston Mick Taylor IS God. Ron Wood's idea of a good solo is a martini in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. (A lot less sour notes that way) Oh yeah, Ronnies guitar on Shine a Light (Stripped) and Love in Vain (Stripped) are bloody awful.
06-05-02 08:44 PM
Joey 'Mick Taylor IS God. Ron Wood's idea of a good solo is a martini in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. (A lot less sour notes that way) Oh yeah, Ronnies guitar on Shine a Light (Stripped) and Love in Vain (Stripped) are bloody awful. '

I would like to bite and kiss you for being so smart .

Indeed , I am recalling distant memories ;
Remembering other names .
Traveling down cold metal ,
I am just a tear in a little baby's eye .

Let me get back to the Ocean ...
Let me get back to the Sea .
Let me be stormy , let me be calm .....
Let the tide in .....and RUSH !!!!! ......over me .

I wanna drown in your sweet sweet sweet sweet love Mick Taylor .

Bunny

06-05-02 10:46 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Joey wrote:

I wanna drown in your sweet sweet sweet sweet love Mick Taylor .

You gonna aspyxiate in his sweet sweet sweet sweet paunch Rabbit.

Again, no offense, Micky T, you and I together, we can break any scale! Hell, if we jumped up and down together, we could break the Richter scale!

No, I love Taylor's music, but I love Ronnie, Rolling Stone. No matter how effing bad he is. Well, yes, I do care if he gets Reeeeeeally effing bad. But now he's a tolerable guitarist and a great guy. Big deal. If you had Keith on lead (somehow), would you kick him for Taylor?
06-06-02 02:06 AM
marko How come that all you don�t remember guy called Jimmy Miller!He produced their greatest albums,not Mick taylor.
Credit goes to miller,and for the whole band,who was their
to catch the right sounds at right time.
06-06-02 09:30 AM
Joey "Credit goes to Miller,and for the whole band,who was their
to catch the right sounds at right time. "

Amen , my Brother !

Enjoy the Aragon show in Chicago . I decided to pass on the one thousand dollar ticket price the brokers want .

Club Joey

06-06-02 05:59 PM
Honky Tonk Man Oh Joey, how can you say Ronnies solo on "Shine A Light" (Stripped Version" is bloody awful!! Whats wrong with you? And so what if Ronnie likes the drink and Ciggies while he plays?, im sure hed rather be like that then OVER WEIGHT like Mick Taylor. Jesus, he was so skinny at Hyde Park, wheres the flab come from.

Dammit Joey, if i see you in New York in September, we may have to have a brawl!!!!! LOL

Alex
06-06-02 06:24 PM
sway Ronnie's attempt at "Shine A light" is noble but feeble in comparison to MT's otherworldy masterpiece.

And maybe they should just put a cutout standup of Ronnie on stage (it would probably give a better performance) since some of you are more interested in the 'look' of the band than the quality of music.

(And who are we really kidding, the Stones all look like shit these days)
06-06-02 06:39 PM
Maxlugar Well said Sway. Weeellllllllll said.

Don't tell the others this, but you are now my favorite poster here.

Great work! Take the rest of the day off.

Your pal,

Mmmmmmmmmmaxy!
06-06-02 06:42 PM
Cant Catch Me I've got reach back a bit in this thread and quote the Cardinal because I love this phrase so much:

"For nostalgia purposes, I'd love to see Taylor play a few songs with the Stones. As long as it's a one off thing."

That makes so much sense I'm gonna borrow it and apply it in some different contexts ...

I'd love for there to be world peace. As long as it ended with worldwide nucleur war the next day.

I'd love for America to catch Bin Laden. As long as they let him go after realizing it's all a big mistake.

I'd love to see Jesus return. As long as he gets shot by an anti-abortion protester his first day back.

I'd love to be served a big juicy steak in a fancy French restarant. As long as the waiter pisses all over it immediately after putting down the plate.

I'd love to be 21 again. As long as my girlfriend's father runs me over in his car right away, like he should have done back then.

Well, I could go on ...
06-06-02 08:59 PM
Joey 'And maybe they should just put a cutout standup of Ronnie on stage (it would probably give a better performance) since some of you are more interested in the 'look' of the band than the quality of music. '

Jesus Sway ..........when did you get so damn good ???

I like the way you think .....and post . Your material is very very fertile ground . I have got my eye on you . Hug Me .

Bunny Joey

06-06-02 09:08 PM
Maxlugar What?!

Joey!

Say you are kidding!

I can still be good.

Copy me.

Maxy
06-06-02 10:24 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Whatever CCM. Whatever.

I think the meaning of my phrase is quite clear. I'm happy with the band the way it is. It would be neat to see Taylor play with the Stones. When the songs are over...so is Taylor's time on stage.

Mick Taylor QUIT. He doesn't want to be in the Stones anymore. I say, fine. Let Lil' Mick go off and play Bluesfests in Europe and Zoos in the States. God bless him, and I wish him all the best. But his time is over.

So I stand by my comment. Just like any other Stones fan, I think it would be interesting to see Taylor play a few songs with the Stones. As a special guest. It would be a nice nostalgia buzz. And then off with Taylor and on with the show.

You know, it's easy for people who have nothing in the decision to say "Get rid of Woody and bring back Taylor." But I got news for ya....we don't decide these things. Jagger/Richards/Watts make that call. So flap your lips all you want. At the end of the day, it doesn't mean shit. Reality is what it is. If you can't deal with it, hop on the Prozac train.
06-06-02 11:18 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
Mick Taylor QUIT. He doesn't want to be in the Stones anymore. I say, fine. Let Lil' Mick go off and play Bluesfests in Europe and Zoos in the States. God bless him, and I wish him all the best. But his time is over.

So I stand by my comment. Just like any other Stones fan, I think it would be interesting to see Taylor play a few songs with the Stones. As a special guest. It would be a nice nostalgia buzz. And then off with Taylor and on with the show.

Ayyyyy-men. And I think Taylor's quite happy that he left when he did, and I think the Stones are better off for it.

And who are we to say what guitarist they use? Ronnie's what they've got, and we can preferalize all we want, saying "Oh, I wish Taylor was on 'Blinded by Anybody Seeing the Saint of Gunface' ", but he wasn't, accept it, move on. The Stones can't live in the past with Taylor - that ship has sailed. As the Cardinal said - he quit. Of his own free will. He ain't in the band no more, and there's nothing to say about it.

Nostalgia's got it's place. If I want to hear Taylor live, I'll get some live bootlegs from the seventies. If I want to see the Rolling Stones continue on as a musical group - I'll take 'em, Ronnie and all.
06-06-02 11:19 PM
littleredrooster Pardon me Your Eminence,
This is supposed to be a 40th Anniversary Event.
If he is a guest at any or all shows it will be a treat!
We will never know why Taylor actually 'quit' the band. Could it have been 'Mr Horse',a lack of musical credits,
or just the someone else spit out by the 'Jagger/Richards Egonaut'? I remember a quote in 'Rolling Stone' at the time of his departure 'He was too pretty' to coexist with Jagger. Yes, he was once the 'young & fragile' Mick Taylor.
Yes, his appearance has deteriorated BUT.................
His skill with the guitar is still evident today, as he plays 'zoos, homecomings and rodeos'.
Did you ever see him perform?? With the band? solo?
It will always be 'Jones era', 'Taylor era','Woody era', ALL of them GREAT in their own way.
Taylor deserves to be on the stage if invited, he has MORE than earned that privilege!! He should stay as long as he wants!!
In the end, WE win!! 40th anniv a' comin'!!
06-07-02 04:12 AM
Cant Catch Me All's I was saying is, what's the point in deciding before something has even started that it has to end quickly?
I dig all the Stones eras, so I'm not really promoting Taylor over Wood, just curious about how they'd play with Taylor guesting for awhile.
Hell, it might be godawful, in which case Taylor could slink offstage after the first song. But if it was great, and they were really groovin', would you stop 'em and say, hey guys, Taylor's 12 minutes and three songs are up, it's time for him to split?
I'm of the opinion that the Stones haven't been challenging themselves musically for a long time, anyway, so it would be exciting to see and hear an interplay between them and anybody who's got even the slightest chance of switching them off of auto-pilot for a short while.
06-07-02 07:54 AM
Maxlugar Unfortunately there are two Woody eras: The early one (75-82) when he cared about being a Stone AND playing his ass off and the post '82 era where its just about being a Stone and playing air guitar.

It is my opinion that '75- '82 produced some of the greatest live guitar performances of all time. Sure, some shows were hit and miss.

Can anyone honestly tell me that '89 - '99 produced anything close to that? Guitar wise I'm talking. The shows as a whole have been fantstic. Give Mick a lot of credit for that. And don't lay the blame all on Keith. Midnight Rambler in '99 was great except for the fact that there was practically no lead guitar.

I know Ronnie can still play and that is the thing that pisses me off about him. Who gives a crap if he looks like a Stone? I'd rather have a bloated, drooling, flaccid Leslie West ripping out audible leads than a poser.

All that said, I have a feeling Ronnie will come out strong this time out. What else does he have to do now? He'll channel all his energy to playing things we can hear.

That is until his liver implodes. Hee hee! I love that one.

06-07-02 09:17 AM
Joey 'But I got news for ya....we don't decide these things. Jagger/Richards/Watts make that call. So flap your lips all you......................'

Actually XIMY , we DO have a say . I secretly believe Jagger and or Richards check into this board from time to time to get a feel for what the " expert diehard fans " are thinking or expressing .

Why do you think we are not getting a CD of new material ???? It is because the band realizes that they need a new shot of musicianship that Ronnie can no longer provide . However , if indeed Mick Taylor is currently in the studio with these boys ,then watch for a magically imbued situation to happen -- Yes , four tracks becomes six , then seven new songs , finally , we have the band clicking on all cylinders ( all fours ) and twelve new tracks prodigiously appear out of the space time continuum ,save these songs will be spaceless and timeless and of such loveliness . A shocking electrical force transmogrifies this orb as word from Paris emanates that Mick Taylor is back in the fold and is again a permanent member of the band .

" I cOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo in your general direction Ronnie "

Club " Clubby Bear " Joey

The Joey , C9.8765 ( Push Me .... come on .....Push Me )

06-07-02 09:26 AM
mattb And peace comes to the middle east and magically the WTC towers rise again from dust.
Page: 1 2 3

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road