ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 50 worst songs-(NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
May 15th, 2004 02:03 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Steely Dan has class.
Real By-God rock n roll has no class...nor should it.

So your're saying the Stones have no class ?

Very interesting!

Interesting indeed, sir
May 15th, 2004 02:33 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I have over 5000 CDs in my collection....not one is by Steely Dan. Never had one, never will.

Then how do you even know what you're talking about? Are you basing it on radio hits?

Sorry, SS, but you're engaging in the same kind of close eared reactionary chest puffery you occasionally feel the need to deflate people over, so I have to side in this case with the Dan -- at least the Skunk Baxter having, Man To It Sticking, end of the world predicting, that horrible Don Palmer out of the band kicking, amoral, narcissistic, sarcastic and most of all occasionally fast tempo'd Steely Dan of the early mid 70s.

Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, and Katie Lied are outstanding records - far from easy listening, actually having plenty of crackle, buzz, rock, and roll. I would even go so far as to say that Countdown to Ecstasy borders on tasteless and having no class on a number of occasions. It certainly has that same kind of weird apocalyptic energy and cynicism that informs the heavy Stones records.

That said, by the time Gaucho rolls around they are virtually everything that you claim for them, and their last two records make me quease. But becoming too slick and lifeless in a band's old age should not ever invalidate a quality back catalog.

Bring back the Boston Rag!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
May 15th, 2004 02:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot >SS I don't think steelie dan ever made any pretensions of being a "rock n roll" band

i certainly don't think of them as one<

Well then we agree. I don't consider them as a rock and roll band either. I have no time for anything other than rock n roll. If you do, that's nice for you. Perhaps music is music to you...but to me music begins and ends at rock n roll.

As individuals only Charlie could be considered as having any class. Mick, treats his women like shit, no class. Keith, c'mon, OBVIOUSLY no class. Ron, pretty much the same as Keith. Charlie has class in spades....but I can forgive that of Charlie because he's Charlie. The Rolling Stones as a rock n roll unit...no class at all. That's why I love 'em.

You seem to speak of having "class" as a good thing. I think having "class" is a bad thing. If someone would refer to me as a "class act" to my face...I'd probably hit them. I try not to have any class. I'm too cool to have class. And that is the way I like my rock n roll bands...too cool for class.
May 15th, 2004 03:44 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You seem to speak of having "class" as a good thing. I think having "class" is a bad thing. If someone would refer to me as a "class act" to my face...I'd probably hit them.

maybe you should SERIOUSLY look into attending some anger management CLASSES
May 15th, 2004 04:17 PM
gypsy Leave SS alone. The man's a witty mother fucker who can make CD's like no man's business.
I LUV SS!
May 16th, 2004 02:58 AM
Child of the Moon I'd just like to nominate Hotel California as the worst song ever written. It's the one song that seriously makes me want to die every time I hear it.

Anything by Creed is up there, too. And Who Let the Dogs Out. Or anything by Nickelback.

There are others, but they keep escaping me. That's probably a good thing.
May 16th, 2004 02:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nasty, WTF??

Do you really think I'd diss something without having listened to it??? I said I never owned it, and never will...I never said that I've never HEARD it. I know lots of people who have Steely Dan records...and who have played me Steely Dan records. You know, I'll lend you this if you lend me that. I simply do NOT like it at all...even a little. This is not chest puffing. I don't fucking like it. And I really don't care how much you try to belittle me...I'm still not going to like it.

Is there some sort of Nasty Habits rule that I'm breaking??? Like...not liking things that he likes??? Sorry for that. I have my own ears, my own brain, my own opinions. And I really don't care who likes or dislikes them.

I don't like, and have never liked, Skunk Baxter. I don't care for his sound, and I don't care for his style. So I guess you best hoist me up on the crucifix now babe!

"Blooze"hound...yer handle...it's terribly caucasian. And not in a good way. But you anger management crack did make me laugh, so thanks for that.

May 16th, 2004 04:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels ROTFLMAO
"chest puffing"????
You guys are too much!!!

May 16th, 2004 05:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bad songs?
Can't forget these.

Silly Love Songs-Macca
Tip Toe Through The Tulips-Tiny Tim
Leader of the Pack-The Shangralas, I think.
I Think I Love You-David Cassidy
Indian Reservation-Paul Revere & The Raiders
Fire-Arthur Brown
I Don't Want To Play House-Tammy Wynette
Okie From Muscokee-Merle Haggard
Angie-The Rolling Stones
Hey Hey We're the Monkees-The Monkees

May 16th, 2004 11:14 PM
corgi37 Wannabe by Spice Girls (hell, anything by them), that would have to be close. By the way, 666 posts for me. I'm a widdle devil!
May 17th, 2004 12:30 AM
JaggaRichards 'Honey' and 'Watching Scotty Grow' by Bobby Goldsboro.
P-U!!!!!!

BTW, Phyllis Diller covered 'Satisfaction'.
May 17th, 2004 12:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot After reading Nasty's nastygram this morning, I found myself trying to remember who it was that was always playing Steely Dan records...and then I remembered...it was my parents. My Dad loved Pretzel Logic. Had it on 8-track...played the fuckin' thing all the damn time. Aja and Gouch too. I hated them all with a passion. I think my Dad knew it too. Whenever I misbehaved and the TV got shut off(this was in the days when most everyone only had one TV in the house...)Dad would always turn on the stereo. Some things he played, I liked...I remember really liking Sly & The Family Stone and Steppenwolf...and some things I really hated, like Three Dog Night and Steely Dan. Ol' Dad would NEVER play stuff that I liked when I got in trouble. It was usually Steely Dan, and I would sit in the damn time out chair and fume. I would try to cover my ears with the chair cushion to blot it out, but Dad just turned it up louder...and would sing along.

So, anyhow, I got to thinking that it's not so much that I hate Steely Dan because of the music...it's because of what hearing their music meant...that I was being punished.

And then I got to thinking...what does that say about Steely Dan? That a parent used their music as a punishment! Oh, you didn't mow the lawn? It's Pretzel Logic for you!!! What you didn't put away the dishes either? Well then you gotta sit through Goucho as well!

This would explain why I get the bitter taste of resentment in my mouth whenever I hear the Dan. And it must show how traumatized I was by this because I really had repressed these memories.

So I guess I apologize to Nasty for being snippy with him. I should probably thank him for getting me to think about it some more...if he hadn't, I probably would have kept carrying around that resentment for years...maybe for the rest of my life.

I feel better having got that out. Still don't like Steely Dan any better, but I feel a lot better understanding why I hate them so much.

May 17th, 2004 01:49 AM
Prodigal Son Well, that explains your dislike. Wow, your dad went easy on you. He coulda played a lot worse records and songs I tell you that. Thank God he didn't like the Osmonds or you'd have been committed to the nuthouse long ago.
May 17th, 2004 06:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
JaggaRichards wrote:
'Watching Scotty Grow' by Bobby Goldsboro.
P-U!!!!!!

Yeah... LOL. that was one I was trying to think of. That one sucked.
May 17th, 2004 08:14 AM
egon The scorpions - winds of change

FAAAAAAAANTASTIC!
May 17th, 2004 11:58 AM
Nasty Habits If two people who share similar tastes can't occasionally say, "Dude, you're effing crazy, these records are great," and explain why, and have the other guy say "dude, eat me, those records suck" and riposte, on a message board about music, then truly stimulating aesthetic debate on this sorry orb has flown the coop and gone to hell.

I have found (from repetitious experience of arguments generally surrounding this particular band) that people generally hate the Dan more for their context than for their content. Or something like that. Whatever. I think that Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic are great, twisted records - I hold them high in my heart. You were trashing them out of bounds, and I responded, because I trust my ears as assuredly as you trust yours. You don't like them, that's fine, but your Coors Light of rock and roll post was bullshit. That's the Doobie Brothers, dude.

Anyway, I am glad that our discussion has relieved you of the burden of a childhood musical trauma, and I think it was bald ass lame of your dad to put Gaucho on as a disciplinary tool. I consider Gaucho fucking torture myself.
May 17th, 2004 12:07 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I'd just like to nominate Hotel California as the worst song ever written. It's the one song that seriously makes me want to die every time I hear it.

So true. I detest that song. I detest it like a sickness.
May 17th, 2004 12:36 PM
Zeeta THE of all THE fuckin repugnant songs of all time and NO-ONE really should disagree is....

Cliff Richard - old langs eyne / the lords prayer / whatever it was called piece of shit!

"OK so I am going to do new a song mmmm - a genius idea - a prayer to the old langs eyne tune!!! Can't fail"

He should not be allowed to make music!

The video...don't get me on to the video! It fuckin sticks with you like torture!

Amen LOL!
May 17th, 2004 12:39 PM
egon my mum will be very upset.

and btw, talking bout terrible songs; anyone watch the eurovion crapfestival?

All of a sudden these 50 songs do not seem so bad after all.

- but of course Holland still should have won -
[Edited by egon]
May 17th, 2004 04:02 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
...Aja and Gouch too...

Whatcha talkin about willis ? Any major dude will tell you it's titled "Gaucho" vato (wasn't there a schoolyard bully called "the gouch" on Different Strokes ?).

Aja was a masterpiece of the smooth groove.

That's 'Retha Franklin
she don't remember
The Queen of Soul

May 17th, 2004 05:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
So true. I detest that song. I detest it like a sickness.

Hotel California!!!!????? That's THE EAGLES man!!! wtf?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
May 17th, 2004 06:18 PM
glencar Why aren't those new Who songs on that list yet?????????????
May 17th, 2004 06:20 PM
glencar And yes, anything by the Egos, er, Eagles, Don Henley or Glenn Frey should find a spot on that list. Hell, "I'm Too Sexy" is three times better than "The Boys of Summer."
May 17th, 2004 07:12 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Hotel California!!!!????? That's THE EAGLES man!!! wtf?

Are you an Eagles fan, Motesie?
May 17th, 2004 07:29 PM
Bloozehound the eagles had class

these lists are for pinheads

music is music is music
May 17th, 2004 07:40 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
the eagles had class

these lists are for pinheads

music is music is music

Are you an Eagles fan, Bloozie?
May 17th, 2004 08:03 PM
corgi37 The Eagles were, and always will be, enemies of rock and roll.
May 17th, 2004 08:54 PM
sirmoonie Yes, Corgi, the Eagles are the Hezbollah of rock and roll and I've heard they all piss sitting down. I've been secretly compiling a list of posters that I suspect have links to the Eagles in their Favorites folder. When the time is appropriate, perhaps when the next Stones tour is announced, I will release that list publicly. You will be shocked at some of the handles that are on it.

Developing......
May 17th, 2004 09:08 PM
wkoetke One of my least favorite "hit" songs of all time: American Pie (as in "bye, bye Miss American Pie". Just makes me want to vomit.
May 17th, 2004 09:39 PM
Bloozehound ok...

Lectures on musical taste by someone with a "Who" picture in their sig ? LMFAO!!!

Won't get fooled again

p.s. i saw mr. daltrey on tv laaaaaaate the other night in an infomercial hawking classic rock cd collections - WHAT A LEGACY !!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5