ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 50 worst songs-(NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
May 14th, 2004 12:37 PM
chris girard Blender mag has compiled its list of the 50 Worst Songs Ever. Entry was based on "unintentionally poor songwriting."
So do you agree with the list? Is there anyone who needs to be included or deleted?

1. We Built This City Starship ... 1985
2. Achy Breaky Heart Billy Ray Cyrus ... 1992
3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight Wang Chung ... 1986
4. Rollin' Limp Bizkit ... 2000
5. Ice Ice Baby Vanilla Ice ... 1990
6. The Heart of Rock & Roll Huey Lewis and the News ... 1984
7. Don't Worry, Be Happy Bobby McFerrin ... 1988
8. Party All the Time Eddie Murphy ... 1985
9. American Life Madonna ... 2003
10. Ebony and Ivory Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder ... 1982
11. Invisible Clay Aiken ... 2003
12. Kokomo The Beach Boys ... 1988
13. Illegal Alien Genesis ... 1983
14. From a Distance Bette Midler ... 1990
15. I'll Be There for You The Rembrandts ... 1995
16. What's Up? 4 Non Blondes ... 1993
17. Pumps and a Bump Hammer ... 1994
18. You're The Inspiration Chicago ... 1984
19. Broken Wings Mr. Mister ... 1985
20. Dancing on the Ceiling Lionel Richie ... 1986
21. Two Princes Spin Doctors ... 1992
22. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) Toby Keith ... 2002
23. Sunglasses at Night Corey Hart ... 1984
24. Five for Fighting Superman ... 2000
25. I'll Be Missing You Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112 ... 1997
26. The End The Doors ... 1967
27. The Final Countdown Europe ... 1987
28. Your Body Is a Wonderland John Mayer ... 2001
29. Breakfast at Tiffany's Deep Blue Something ... 1995
30. Greatest Love of All Whitney Houston ... 1986
31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Crash Test Dummies ... 1994
32. Will 2K Will Smith ... 1999
33. Barbie Girl Aqua ... 1997
34. Longer Dan Fogelberg ... 1979
35. Shiny Happy People R.E.M. ... 1991
36. Make Em Say Uhh! Master P featuring Silkk, Fiend, Mia-X and Mystikal ... 1998
37. Rico Suave Gerardo ... 1991
38. Cotton Eyed Joe Rednex ... 1995
39. She Bangs Ricky Martin ... 2000
40. I Wanna Sex You Up Color Me Badd ... 1991
41. We Didn't Start the Fire Billy Joel ... 1989
42. The Sounds of Silence Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965
43. Follow Me Uncle Kracker ... 2000
44. I'll Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) Meat Loaf ... 1993
45. Mesmerize Ja Rule featuring Ashanti ... 2002
46. Hangin' Tough New Kids on the Block ... 1989
47. The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You Bryan Adams ... 1996
48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da The Beatles ... 1968
49. I'm Too Sexy Right Said Fred ... 1992
50. My Heart Will Go On Celine Dion ... 1998
May 14th, 2004 12:44 PM
LadyJane Just looking at that list makes me shiver!!

Frightening!!

LJ.
May 14th, 2004 12:46 PM
telecaster Mamba # 9 or whatever the fuck that was called

God that was repulsive

Diddo "Macarena"
May 14th, 2004 12:50 PM
caro
quote:
chris girard wrote:
Blender mag has compiled its list of the 50 Worst Songs Ever. Entry was based on "unintentionally poor songwriting."

25. I'll Be Missing You Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112 ... 1997

This one doesn't fit in... The ruining of this song was completely intentional, since it consisted in an attempt to erase anything even remotely delicate & versatile in it.
May 14th, 2004 12:51 PM
telecaster Nothing could be worse than this album. Andy Griffith singing "House of The Rising Sun?"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000032C1/qid=1084553254/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-7437722-2709726

1. Proud Mary - Leonard Nimoy
2. It Ain't Me Babe - Sebastian Cabot
3. Blowin' in the Wind - Eddie Albert
4. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
5. Whiter Shade of Pale - Noel Harrison
6. I Can See for Miles - Frankie Randall
7. Try a Little Tenderness - Jack Webb
8. Twist and Shout - Mae West
9. House of the Rising Sun - Andy Griffith
10. Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
11. You Are the Sunshine of My Life - Jim Nabors
12. Like a Rolling Stone - Sebastian Cabot
13. White Room - Joel Grey
14. If I Had a Hammer - Leonard Nimoy
May 14th, 2004 12:52 PM
LadyJane Okay..I'll admit it.."My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic makes me cry EVERYTIME I hear it.

I know..I'm a geek!

LJ.
May 14th, 2004 12:56 PM
telecaster
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Okay..I'll admit it.."My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic makes me cry EVERYTIME I hear it.

I know..I'm a geek!

LJ.

joey tears up at "Careless Whispers" by WHAM!
May 14th, 2004 02:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Blender had a good idea here...but they mistitled the list.

They should have called it the 50 Worst Songs That Were Popular. I think that's what they did with this list...they only considered popular sings. There are literally thousands of songs worse than say...Obla Di Obla Da. But I think Blender just didn't quantify the compilation of the list.

Tele already mentioned two glaring omissions...that Lou Bega Mambo #9 thingy, and the Macarena. Here's another one..."Heat Of The Moment"-Asia. Or how about "Sister Christian"-Night Ranger? Pretty much ANYTHING from a Peter Frampton album...or the Beegee's desecration of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? "Bicycle"-Queen...it's RUBBISH!

To Blender's credit though...the songs on that list are definately crap. It's also hard to argue against "We Built This City"...truly terrible.
May 14th, 2004 03:33 PM
F505 So do you agree with the list?

I've never heard these songs in my entire life!
May 14th, 2004 03:34 PM
LadyJane
quote:
F505 wrote:

I've never heard these songs in my entire life!

Consider yourself lucky!!!

LJ.
May 14th, 2004 03:39 PM
marko what about the las kecthup?yikes.....
May 14th, 2004 04:18 PM
gimmekeef I can't believe they missed:

Tie A Yellow Ribbon..Tony Orlando
Muskrat Love...Captain Tenille
I've Got a Brand New Pair of Rollerskates....Melanie
Uncle Albert...Macca
Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog...Three Dog Night
BaD Bad Leroy Brown.....geez thats enough already spoiling my weekend.Must rush home and put on Exile!
May 14th, 2004 05:24 PM
UGot2Rollme Re:
7. Don't Worry, Be Happy Bobby McFerrin ... 1988

come on - have a sense of humor or smoke a joint, this song should NOT be on this list at all.

12. Kokomo The Beach Boys ... 1988

for me, it's a tie between Kokomo and Shiny Happy People as the worst songs ever written.. I would trample my grandmother if she were in the way of the radio to turn it off when either of these songs are played.

16. What's Up? 4 Non Blondes ... 1993

what's up with this choice? very powerful song, though the video is kind of nauseating...

21. Two Princes Spin Doctors ... 1992

come on, we all liked this tune when it came out, didn't we?.. saw the SD warm up for the Stones at Joe Robbie in Miami and they sucked, but the studio version is still good IMO

26. The End The Doors ... 1967

should be on the Top 50, IMO

27. The Final Countdown Europe ... 1987

disagree, this song rocks - one of the best from the hair spray generation..

35. Shiny Happy People R.E.M. ... 1991

tied for 1 IMO - this song is poison to my ears... I would rather hear an hour of Poison than this one song...

41. We Didn't Start the Fire Billy Joel ... 1989

Billy Joel should have many more songs on this list

42. The Sounds of Silence Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

One of the best songs ever written.

Also, I think the list is under-representative of Paul McCartney tunes.
[Edited by UGot2Rollme]
May 14th, 2004 06:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot >7. Don't Worry, Be Happy Bobby McFerrin ... 1988

come on - have a sense of humor or smoke a joint, this song should NOT be on this list at all.<

As far as I'm concerned it's anti-music. Should have been in the top 5! I hate this song with passion and gusto. I'm not even sure it's music.

>16. What's Up? 4 Non Blondes ... 1993

what's up with this choice? very powerful song, though the video is kind of nauseating...<

Very powerful indeed...powerful at making me get a headache. Insipid drivel. I wanted to stuff dirty socks in Linda's oversized maw everytime she started in on the hey hey hey part. Annoying and repetitious. Crap.

>21. Two Princes Spin Doctors ... 1992

come on, we all liked this tune when it came out, didn't we?.. <

Ummmm....NO! I liked to make fun of it, but I don't think that's the same thing.

"Well if you, want to smell my asshole, just go ahead now...and if you, want to eat my shorts, well go ahead now..."

>26. The End The Doors ... 1967

should be on the Top 50, IMO<

It's stupid hippy jazz noodling. But, I can think of many more deserving songs to be on the list in front of it.

>27. The Final Countdown Europe ... 1987

disagree, this song rocks - one of the best from the hair spray generation..<

That's a joke right? I mean just the phrase "one of the best from the hairspray generation" is like, the mother of all oxymorons.

I can't believe that this wasn't higher on the list.

>41. We Didn't Start the Fire Billy Joel ... 1989

Billy Joel should have many more songs on this list<

I couldn't agree more. It could be argued that the entire list could be entirely made up of Billy Joel songs.

>42. The Sounds of Silence Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

One of the best songs ever written.<

Oh good lord. Again, that's a joke...right??? It's not even good enough to be considered poor man's Peter, Paul & Mary! Could they be any farther up their own asses? It's boring, obvious, trite, hackneyed, drivel. And considering that most people think it's one of S&G's best...what's that say about the rest of their repetoire?

What about, that stupid "Ironic" song from Alannis Morissette? You know, the one were she confused the word ironic with sucks? And what about that awful song by Paul Simon's ex...the one about "throw me into the shallow water before I get to deep." That one really blows. Throw her in the deep part with cement shoes so she'll shut the fuck up! Or that gawdawful Red Rubber Ball song by the Cyrkle. Or MacArthur Park...anyone's version! Someone left his cake out in the rain!!! He'll never get the recipe again!! Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Yeah, wet cake, what a fuckin' tragedy.

Speaking of Tragedy...shouldn't THAT song be on the list? What about Disco Duck? Ricky Don't Lose That Number? Convoy? The Laverne & Shirley theme..I think it was called Make All Our Dreams Come True(remember when that song was actually on the pop charts?). What about that songs from the Miami Vice guys...Don Johnson's Heartbeat, and the other guy, wuzizname, his song was equally as shitty. Or that one that goes "I am so into you I can't think of nothing else", and it has that other part "me into you you into me me into you!". Icky-poo. Does the Barney song "I Love You, You Love Me" count? I mean, that shit is just creepy...

You could argue that the list could be made up of enirely Toby Keith songs.

Or that stupid Don Henley Boys of Summer song...I mean EGAD! Pretty much any song by the Eagles, or any member of the Eagles could be on that list.

The fact of the matter is, that for every great song released, there are thousands that flat out suck.

Now that I have all this crap music flowing around in my skull, I gotta clean it out. I think I'll put on the new Loretta Lynn album...it's so good that it hurts.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
May 14th, 2004 06:34 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Blender had a good idea here...but they mistitled the list.

They should have called it the 50 Worst Songs That Were Popular. I think that's what they did with this list...they only considered popular sings. There are literally thousands of songs worse than say...Obla Di Obla Da. But I think Blender just didn't quantify the compilation of the list.

Sir Stonesalot has a point here. They say that entry was based on "unintentionally poor songwriting", but then lots of awful songs would have been on it.

Though you notice something? No Rolling Stones song! Not even "Sing This Together", proof that it's a list of famous bad songs!
May 14th, 2004 11:34 PM
BILL PERKS THAT LIST IS ON THE MONEY EXCEPT THE END-DOORS..IT'S AN INCREDIBLE SONG USED PERFECTLY IN APOCALYPSE NOW.
May 14th, 2004 11:42 PM
Egbert She Bangs needs to be on that list twice...
May 14th, 2004 11:51 PM
Prodigal Son Sir Stonesalot mentions Ricky Don't Lose That Number.
Since he hasn't replied yet, let me say it for him.
You make Joey cry.
I must say that the Dan NEVER, ever had a song worthy of top 50 worst. That song is maniacal genius, baby!!! The guitar solo break just puts the emphasis on it. Maybe not their best, but certainly one of the top 50 songs of the 70s. The rest, I agree with.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
May 14th, 2004 11:59 PM
Egbert There are worse tunes on Pretzel Logic than Ricky.
May 15th, 2004 12:13 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
chris girard wrote:

37. Rico Suave Gerardo ... 1991

It ain't me babies
May 15th, 2004 04:51 AM
Zeeta Good posts - LOL I am American understanding what irony is?!?!?!? wow! Alanis fucked up and not many people noticed!
May 15th, 2004 04:57 AM
egon i like crap songs....
May 15th, 2004 09:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I seem to recall a bad song list a few years back with that Having My Baby Paul Anka song that jb posted on the top of the list. And then there was that awful song "Honey" by Bobby something.
May 15th, 2004 11:16 AM
Sir Stonesalot It could be argued that the entire list could be made up of Steely Dan songs.

It's fuckin' Muzak.

Blech!!!

I have over 5000 CDs in my collection....not one is by Steely Dan. Never had one, never will.

Steely Dan is the Coors Light rock n roll.

Steely Dan is the Charmin of rock n roll.

Steely Dan is the fat-free ranch dressing of rock n roll.

Steely Dan is the Eggbeaters of rock n roll.

Steely Dan is the caffiene free Diet Coke of rock n roll.

Steely Dan is the cornerstone of Soft Rock radio programming. Need more be said? Yes? OK then....

Steely Dan SUCKS, and sucks HARD. Like a Kirby Cleaner!!
May 15th, 2004 12:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
It could be argued that the entire list could be made up of Steely Dan songs.
It's fuckin' Muzak.

You make Joey take a long look in the mirror and do some very serious introspection. It may hurt for awhile but once the LIGHT shines in and true repentence enters our hearts, we become clean and free once again. And we can look our peers, wives and children directly in the eye and admit "Steely Dan Sux."
May 15th, 2004 01:21 PM
gypsy Great list. I hated all of those songs...and could never understand why they were so popular at the time.
So the list proves I'm normal?
May 15th, 2004 01:25 PM
Bloozehound steelie dan had class

these stupid lists are for pinheads

music is music is music
May 15th, 2004 01:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
steelie dan had class

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
May 15th, 2004 01:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot Steely Dan has class.

Well, maybe so, but what does class have to do with rock n roll?

My favorite kinds of rock n roll have very little, to no class what-so-ever. I say the sleazier, uglier, dirtier, noisier, louder, nastier, odder...the better. Real By-God rock n roll has no class...nor should it.
May 15th, 2004 01:48 PM
Bloozehound SS I don't think steelie dan ever made any pretensions of being a "rock n roll" band

i certainly don't think of them as one
Page: 1 2 3 4 5