ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: so who's bought a $450 ticket?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 12th, 2005 11:30 PM
Mr Jimmy no typo
May 13th, 2005 01:02 AM
Brainbell Jangler $99 seats in the first ten rows? That's what I wanted to hear! For Licks, I got a pair of third row floor seats right in front of Keith for $95 each. It would be tough to pay $450 for worse seats this time, especially since I'm taking my two daughters.
May 13th, 2005 04:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
Were floor seats for the Licks tour $350? The most I have ever paid for a ticket was around $150 during No Security, yet I remember having nice floor seats on Licks for around $120.

Or have I just imagined all of this to make myself feel better?

I think on NS they kept the first 10 rows at $90 and the seats around the b-stage were $350. Most floor seats for about $110 and $125 or so as well, I think.
May 13th, 2005 12:38 PM
StonesChick
I think the prices are very high and I didn't buy them without blinking an eye. I can't think of any other artist I would pay more than $100 to see. But, I have been completely obsessed with the Stones forever and to me it's worth it. Being upfront at a concert is a different experience from sitting elsewhere! The Stones are going to rock and I will die much happier! I am sooo happy to have gotten these tickets!!
May 13th, 2005 01:01 PM
billy That's the saddest part of it: people forget how they get cheated!

[Edited by billy]
May 13th, 2005 05:33 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
billy wrote:
That's the saddest part of it: people forget who they get cheated!

as Keith would say 'this ain't no charity show'....filling the stadiums has not and does not appear to be a problem....you don't want to pay it, fine, but enough others do wish to pay those sums that your statement about 'cheated' is made manifestly absurd....

OK now

Cazart!!!!!!!
May 13th, 2005 06:49 PM
billy
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

as Keith would say 'this ain't no charity show'....filling the stadiums has not and does not appear to be a problem....you don't want to pay it, fine, but enough others do wish to pay those sums that your statement about 'cheated' is made manifestly absurd....

OK now

Cazart!!!!!!!

I don't think they WISH to pay such sums but they are more or less forced to if they want to see their favorite band. So they actually don't have much choice do they?
I think it smells!
May 13th, 2005 06:59 PM
Dan
quote:
billy wrote:

I don't think they WISH to pay such sums but they are more or less forced to if they want to see their favorite band. So they actually don't have much choice do they?
I think it smells!

But nobody is forcing anyone to buy a ticket and attend. If you look at people are coming thru the gates compared to the STeel Wheels tour, a lot more people are choosing the option of staying home. And its definitely a choice. I have been to around 500 concerts, and I also missed quite a few that I really really really wanted to go to, but lo and behold I was still alive and healthy the next morning.

Personally since I know someone with an eye toward "archiving" will be attending almost every single show this tour, I am not worried about missing anything and the whole experience of obtaining tickets and attending every possible show has a whole lot less urgency to me than in the past.
May 13th, 2005 07:04 PM
billy But in your theory they can ask what they want. So if the Stones ask let's say 800 dollar you still maintain they are entitled to do so? What's the limit?
May 13th, 2005 07:12 PM
Dan
quote:
billy wrote:
But in your theory they can ask what they want. So if the Stones ask let's say 800 dollar you still maintain they are entitled to do so? What's the limit?

The limit is whatever people are willing to pay. For me, at the moment, that limit is less than the cheapest nosebleed ticket. If they can get $800 or $1000 or $10,000 for a ticket, then by all means, they should do it. I am sure $8.50 1969 tour ticket was too much money for somebody. It seems every tour they surpass someone's pain threshold. I believe they should charge whatever the market can bear and once all those seats are snapped up, whoever is holding a ticket should also be entitled to get whatever they can for that ticket as well. Its just an entertainment event, we are not talking about milk prices during a natural disaster here.
May 13th, 2005 07:14 PM
crb69 I would like to know just how many close to the stage floor seats are priced at $100. On the last tour I bought a $100 floor seat for Giants Stadium on e-bay. I ended up selling it for face value ($100) to a guitar player in the band I was in at the time. The band went to the show and I got 1st level seating on the 50 yard line with my wife. After the show we met at the van and he told me he was in the 7th row. I'm still kicking myself!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by crb69]

$8.50 compared to $450? Good shit; can I have some? No you are right, we are talking about Stones fans who have waited years to be able to see them and would like a shot at getting close to the stage...without having to take out a personal loan to pay for it. You can't justify $450 for a ticket I'm sorry, you can't. Maybe scalping front row at a club but not a stadium show ticket sold by the band...it's just nauseating!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~puke
[Edited by crb69]
[Edited by crb69]
May 13th, 2005 07:25 PM
Dan The cost of tickets are justified by the people spending the money on them. And $8.50 and $450 are the exact same things if you don't have it or don't want to spend it. Thats why it doesnt really make any difference to me if premium seats are $150, 450 or ten million. Personally I can't justify spending $11 just to see a movie but people do it every day and that price is justified by the people spending the money.
May 13th, 2005 07:30 PM
billy quote:
Its just an entertainment event

well just because it is an entertainment event and not a stock market I would suggest to keep prices affordable for the average fan. Don't you think that's reasonable?
May 13th, 2005 08:20 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
billy wrote:
But in your theory they can ask what they want. So if the Stones ask let's say 800 dollar you still maintain they are entitled to do so? What's the limit?

the market's the limit....are you a communist?
May 13th, 2005 08:22 PM
Dan
quote:
billy wrote:
quote:
Its just an entertainment event

well just because it is an entertainment event and not a stock market I would suggest to keep prices affordable for the average fan. Don't you think that's reasonable?

But if they sell tickets at those prices, then its affordable for somebody whether or not that somebody happens to be me or you or Nachoman in the front row.

I don't know what your definition of "average" fan is, but its likely some guy in a trailer listening to KLOS who says "Yeah man, the Stones!" and turns it up every time they play "Satisfaction."
May 13th, 2005 08:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

the market's the limit....are you a communist?

No. Just not a lawyer
May 13th, 2005 08:25 PM
mac_daddy is klos still a radio station around here..?

May 13th, 2005 11:00 PM
Bitch I feel the outrageous $955 for the pair of tickets I bought was because I was so anxious to get my hands on some tickets, during the ticket presale frenzy, I acted impulsively. Afterwards I was thinking, I am nuts, crazy, almost despirate, then again...
The other choice was $160+ bs for TERRABLE SEATS, way up in the nosebleed section. I would have been happy if the $160 seats were decent, but Giants Stadium is already sold out, from what I've heard even before they went on sale to the general public.
May 13th, 2005 11:10 PM
Dan
quote:
Bitch wrote:
I feel the outrageous $955 for the pair of tickets I bought was because I was so anxious to get my hands on some tickets, during the ticket presale frenzy, I acted impulsively. Afterwards I was thinking, I am nuts, crazy, almost despirate, then again...
The other choice was $160+ bs for TERRABLE SEATS, way up in the nosebleed section. I would have been happy if the $160 seats were decent, but Giants Stadium is already sold out, from what I've heard even before they went on sale to the general public.

Venue/Ticketmaster/Promoter contracts usually specify that only 10% or less can be set aside for presale. Therefore there are at least 45 or 50,000 tickets that have yet to be sold to anyone.
May 13th, 2005 11:47 PM
BILL PERKS CAN THE $400 SEATS BE THE ONSTAGE SEATS MICKS TALKIN BOUT?
May 14th, 2005 12:16 AM
Snappy McJack It seems as though the pre-sale ticket allotments are for both good and shitty seats. You'd think it be for the former, but I guess they use some sort of scare tactics with the shitty seats so that people think "Oh no, it's sold out! I guess I'll take 'em!"

They go on the TM site a few weeks after a public sale and find something better. It happens.
May 14th, 2005 12:27 AM
Cant Catch Me Yeah, the Stones are being greedy, which I have mixed feelings about. Mainly a pain in my wallet, and that's not even for anything approaching the most expensive tickets. However, who wouldn't try to get the maximum price if we controlled a valuable commodity with limited availability? Most of us would maximize our profit, probably, except those in the charity business.

What really pisses me off, though, is Ticketmaster. They get their cut without doing a damn thing, and they're a virtual monopoly. Not only that, the way they operate makes buying tickets a total crapshoot, and a major pain in the ass too.
May 14th, 2005 12:52 AM
Poison Dart You people are the reason why they get away with charging $450 a ticket.

Somebody said that they acted on impulse and bought two tickets for $900. No disrespect (I'm sure your a wonderful person) BUT ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?

You paid $900 for two hours of a rock concert. Mick Jagger and his lawyers/accountants are laughing at you as they give each other high fives.

With all we know about Mick and his frugal ways do you think he would spend $900 to see you? You (and many others) are going to blow over $1,000 to see a concert. I can't believe it.

Where have our priorities gone?

It's wacko fans that enable these greedy bastards (I'm not just talking about the Stones here. I mean most big name acts)to sell tickets for $450 each.

Gee, thanks Mick and Michael Kohl for giving me the honor of paying $450 fucking dollars per ticket to see you.

[Edited by Poison Dart]
May 14th, 2005 12:59 AM
Dan
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
Yeah, the Stones are being greedy, which I have mixed feelings about. Mainly a pain in my wallet, and that's not even for anything approaching the most expensive tickets.
However, who wouldn't try to get the maximum price if we controlled a valuable commodity with limited availability? Most of us would maximize our profit, probably, except those in the charity business.

I saw them for free in 2003 for the NDRC show. Havent really figured out what the charity ratio for that show is though. Rather than promote the band or the cause, it just made me less likely to actually want to pay for tickets.

quote:

What really pisses me off, though, is Ticketmaster. They get their cut without doing a damn thing,

What is "not a damn thing" about printing and distributing the tickets for their clients in the most efficient manner technology allows?

quote:

and they're a virtual monopoly.

Other companies sell tickets for other venues but Ticketmaster is contracted to be the sole ticket distributor for most major venues. Not sure what the difference is between a virtual monopoly and an illegal monopoly in the eyes of the law but Ticketmaster isnt exactly distributing a vital commodity.

quote:

Not only that, the way they operate makes buying tickets a total crapshoot, and a major pain in the ass too.

Its not so much the way Ticketmaster operates that makes procuring tickets a total crapshoot but the fact that so many people want to sit exact same spot you do and are trying at the exact same time which makes it a total crapshoot.

Also back when I was paying $3-4 on a $15-20 concert ticket I was kinda peeved with Ticketmaster but now that the Stones and any other band is charging 2, 4, 10, 20 times that for the base price of tickets, I cant really complain about whatever fees Ticketmaster charges for the convenience of printing and mailing them out.
May 14th, 2005 01:01 AM
Dan
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
CAN THE $400 SEATS BE THE ONSTAGE SEATS MICKS TALKIN BOUT?

No, they are back by the B Stage.
May 14th, 2005 03:55 AM
kahoosier OK this is the second thread I have read that talsk about the elusisve $100 ticket up at the front. WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM ANY ONE GOT A LINK? I Post on three major boards, write fans from all over, and no one I know has seen this, and certainly none of us has gotten such a ticket!
May 14th, 2005 05:09 AM
Cant Catch Me [quote]Dan wrote:

What is "not a damn thing" about printing and distributing the tickets for their clients in the most efficient manner technology allows?

Wow, printing the tickets, taking our money and mailing them to us must cost, like, less than a dollar each ticket, especially since the customer pays for any shipping other than U.S. Postal Service. So the rest, presumably, is Ticketmaster's profit and they haven't done anything worth a damn as far as I'm concerned.

[quote]Dan wrote:
Other companies sell tickets for other venues but Ticketmaster is contracted to be the sole ticket distributor for most major venues. Not sure what the difference is between a virtual monopoly and an illegal monopoly in the eyes of the law but Ticketmaster isnt exactly distributing a vital commodity.

Right, a virtual monopoly, like I said. Anyway, monopolies don't have to be for vital commodities, which are typically considered utilities, such as fuel, water, phone service, etc. As vital commodities, utilities are generally regulated, since the government doesn't want one company screwing consumers for something they must have. And, yes seeing the Stones isn't a matter of life and death, but to some people it's pretty damn important. I guess if I didn't want to deal with Ticketmaster for Stones tickets, well, I guess I could go see another band at another venue.

[quote]Dan wrote:
. . . I cant really complain about whatever fees Ticketmaster charges for the convenience of printing and mailing them out.

Hey, call me up anytime, give me your money, and I'll be glad to send you a piece of pretty colored paper in an envelope.
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
May 14th, 2005 06:09 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
Were floor seats for the Licks tour $350? The most I have ever paid for a ticket was around $150 during No Security, yet I remember having nice floor seats on Licks for around $120.

Or have I just imagined all of this to make myself feel better?

Just Your Imagination---$350 tiks have been around since at least 'No Security'
May 14th, 2005 07:12 AM
crb69 Precisely, high enough; why add another $100...because they can. Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's not fair for the average Joe who wants to try for good affordable seats. They should have charged $50-$150 and had a contest or lottery (like they did in 1981) for the "on stage" seats. That would have been cool and exciting. Not watching the ticket agencies buy up all the decent seats at $160 and sell them to the impulsive fan for $500-$1500. You people just don't get it. There are bigger fans like myself who won't (or can't) pay high prices for a 2 hour show...

Sorry boys, if we can't get decent seats for around $100 we ain't goin'!!!

Been there, done that, watch 4 Flix! (4 DVD's = $30)
& be happy ya saved yo money!
[Edited by crb69]
May 14th, 2005 07:19 AM
Bitch Yes, I already know I'm out of my fvcking mind to pay $955 for a pair of tix, and the only way I can justify this is last tour I paid $350 and everything's gone up since then, also living in the NY area everything is more expensive. I'm going to work some extra hours, like Sat & Sun for the next few weeks until my Am Ex bill arrives...

As far as $450/tix it isn't even on the stage, I think you have to win those thru some contest yet to be announced. Anyone know about this?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour