ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
NFA
Photo sessions with DJ Jimmy and His Rolls Royce - July, 1964
© 1964 © NFA [Not Fade Aeay]
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: so who's bought a $450 ticket?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 14th, 2005 09:35 AM
corgi37 I paid $700 for 2 x tickets at Licks, and i was 8 rows from the stage on the floor (Ronnie's side). I would have paid double. We got to the 4th row during the encore.

But, thats here in Oz. If i was a Yank (heaven forbid!) or a Pom (Lord, no!) and had seen them 15 times, i wouldnt pay anything like $350 per ticket.

But....

The Eagles top tickets during their tour last year were in the vicinity of $500.

Would i pay that for the Stones. If they come? And, 100% its the last time they tour Oz?

Yep.

And, i would probably pay it twice, cause is wanna see 'em twice. Once "on-stage", once near the front.

Sort term debt for long term memories.

Mind you, when i get dementia, it will all be...

...what was i talking about?
May 14th, 2005 09:43 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
OK this is the second thread I have read that talsk about the elusisve $100 ticket up at the front. WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM ANY ONE GOT A LINK? I Post on three major boards, write fans from all over, and no one I know has seen this, and certainly none of us has gotten such a ticket!

It's the truth. I've been experimenting when the pre-sales and one example I can give you is Chicago Soldier's Field where I was offered field seats in the first 10 rows for $99. I didn't buy them because I'm waiting for shows in other venues.

For the record... I am not the Mr Jimmy on some of those other boards.
May 14th, 2005 10:03 AM
Dan
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Wow, printing the tickets, taking our money and mailing them to us must cost, like, less than a dollar each ticket, especially since the customer pays for any shipping other than U.S. Postal Service. So the rest, presumably, is Ticketmaster's profit and they haven't done anything worth a damn as far as I'm concerned.

Making sure whatever ticket printed out is the only ticket printed out for that seat, including a bar code system so someone with a laser printer cant stick themselves in your seat. I can actually go on and on in depth exactly what Ticketmaster does but I don't think it would make any difference to you since you would rather just set your own prices.

quote:

Right, a virtual monopoly, like I said. Anyway, monopolies don't have to be for vital commodities, which are typically considered utilities, such as fuel, water, phone service, etc. As vital commodities, utilities are generally regulated, since the government doesn't want one company screwing consumers for something they must have. And, yes seeing the Stones isn't a matter of life and death, but to some people it's pretty damn important. I guess if I didn't want to deal with Ticketmaster for Stones tickets, well, I guess I could go see another band at another venue.

Nobody not directly involved really cares how important it is, least of all me. And the choice is yours whether or not you want to get the tickets from Ticketmaster or not.

quote:

Hey, call me up anytime, give me your money, and I'll be glad to send you a piece of pretty colored paper in an envelope.

If there is any sort of value in the paper, or if its at least really really important than you shouldn't have any problems finding buyers for that.
May 14th, 2005 10:26 AM
StonesChick

I don't feel like I'm being ripped off by the Stones. I'm ecstatic to be going! Yes, the prices are very expensive, but to me it's worth it. I think food, Starbucks coffee, clothes, sporting events, etc are expensive so it's all relative to me. The Stones are charging what they know they can get and are worth (they wouldn't be getting these prices if they weren't worth it). I don't blame them. It stinks for a lot of people, and it is crazy to think how much you could spend if you want to take the family. These prices aren't new. The last few concerts have been close to this.
May 14th, 2005 10:40 AM
Mr Jimmy SOLDIER FIELD

Reserved FIELD Seating
US $99.00 - US $450.00

400 Level Seating (4th Level Above Field)
US $99.00 - US $302.77

300 Level Seating (3rd Level Above Field)
US $60.00 - US $302.77

200 Level Seating (2nd Level Above Field)
US $99.00 - US $302.77

100 Level Seating (1st Level Above Field)
US $60.00 - US $302.77

This pricing chart is a pretty good example of the many lower priced tickets that are available in every section of the stadium... please look at it. Of course, the lower priced seatss are far from the stage but available at every 'altitude' for under $100. The floor seats are the exception because the LOWEST priced seats are a actually the CLOSEST to the stage. Considering that we're talking about The Rolling Stones, I think they've done a pretty good job of offering fans a seat within the first few rows for an outright bargain.

May 14th, 2005 10:47 AM
billy When the Stones were at their top in the sixties and seventies prices were relative a lot cheaper and the shows a lot better.
May 14th, 2005 10:55 AM
Mr Jimmy Well Billy... I know you're just having fun, but for some reason I actually tried to help you (and others) with some info, but now you're just boring.

You know what I mean?
May 14th, 2005 11:51 AM
billy
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
Well Billy... I know you're just having fun, but for some reason I actually tried to help you (and others) with some info, but now you're just boring.

You know what I mean?

No, please explain. I am listening.
May 14th, 2005 03:24 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
billy wrote:

No, please explain. I am listening.

but everone else stopped...quit slagging the boys and either buy a ticket or quit your bitchin'

buy the ticket
take the ride
eternal wisdom

OK now

Cazart!!!
May 14th, 2005 04:19 PM
starchildkiss41 Hi all,
I'm your 'average' concert fan that used to wait until Sunday mornings at 10am when general public tickets would go on sale, two phones in hand, hitting redial over and over. You can imagine what cr*p I would end up with. On the No Security tour, we were literally at the top row of the Anaheim Pond - where all the smoke and various bodily emissions would end up in a big cloud.

I checked out the fan membership option, but for me, it was easier to just get the tickets on ebay. I bought 2 tickets for Anaheim Stadium, section F128, for $398 (for both). I'm assuming the face value for those seats are between $60-99, but for me it was worth it to pay the money and not have to worry about it anymore. I don't have 'connections' to get good tickets, or the time to be frantically trying to get through on the phone to Ticketmaster. Even if I joined the fan membership, the price would have probably been about the same.

Anyone else going through Ebay?
May 14th, 2005 04:44 PM
Dan I use Ebay - to get seats way below face value as showtime approaches. I got a $90 front floor ticket for Anaheim 02 several weeks after the onsale date.
50,000+ tickets for Anaheim Stadium have yet to be sold to anyone. But damn, if I thought there would be people willing to spend that kind of money for a ticket to a stadium show that hasnt gone on sale yet I would have bought the stupid fan club membership, sold the tickets and have more money put away for when the tour rolls around and I decide what the hell I want to do. Oh well, live and learn, if I dont have money to spend on a ticket, then I dont have gambling money either.
May 15th, 2005 02:01 PM
flexy633
quote:
crb69 wrote:
You can't justify $450 for a ticket I'm sorry, you can't. Maybe scalping front row at a club but not a stadium show ticket sold by the band...it's just nauseating!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~puke

I seriously thought the scalpers would be charging $450 a ticket in the first few rows. But, not the Stones themselves. I've loved them since I was 11 years old and have never ever been able to get a close seat because of the prices. Yes, I work hard, yes I have money, but I still cannot afford $450 a ticket.

It saddens me that my favorite band has let greed take over.

Does anyone remember back in 1994 when the Eagles got back together and were charging $300 a ticket? The Stones tickets went on sale the following week. Guess what? They charged about $50 a ticket. Everyone I knew was so impressed that the Stones didn't stoop to the level of the Eagles and succumb to greed. Guess we can't say the same thing now.
May 15th, 2005 02:10 PM
flexy633
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

It's the truth. I've been experimenting when the pre-sales and one example I can give you is Chicago Soldier's Field where I was offered field seats in the first 10 rows for $99. I didn't buy them because I'm waiting for shows in other venues.

For the record... I am not the Mr Jimmy on some of those other boards.

Yes, but are you talking about Section A1 and A6? I think the people who have gotten tickets in the first few rows in those 2 sections are going to be disappointed BIG TIME. I believe that these people who got $99 tickets in those sections are going to be sitting behind huge speakers and won't be able to see a thing. They are way off to the side.

I'm in Section 141, Row 10. Paid $160 a ticket. I totally believe that I will be more pleased with my seats than the people in A1 or A6, 4th row.
May 15th, 2005 02:48 PM
Dan
quote:
flexy633 wrote:

Does anyone remember back in 1994 when the Eagles got back together and were charging $300 a ticket? The Stones tickets went on sale the following week. Guess what? They charged about $50 a ticket. Everyone I knew was so impressed that the Stones didn't stoop to the level of the Eagles and succumb to greed. Guess we can't say the same thing now.

I remember the Eagles. I dont think it was quite $300, more like $125-150. The thing that got me was $40 for lawn! I remember because I waited in line all night at Music Plus for NIN club show tix that were going on Saturday. The night before they stuck a sign in a window with the ticket prices. I couldnt believe it. Most Eagles fans showing up in the morning and just sorta shrugged. Those are the morons responsible for high ticket prices!

Anyway the worst part about it is they told me they couldnt sell me a NIN ticket until all the Eagles fans were taken care of. Sent my cousin on recon to the mall across the street and he found a Robinsons or Sears outlet that specifically wasnt handling the Eagles sale so I ran like hell over there to get the NIN tickets and was able to get them. Most of my friends were shut out because of the Eagles onsale.

Now the Eagles are doing 8 arena shows in Southern California and there prices are about average. $25-175 with seats available in all prices ranges (not like what the Stones do and just put 20 tix on sale at the lowest price).

ANd I dont necessarily think the Stones are any more greedy now than they were on say the 75 or 81 tour, they just know how much more they can squeeze out of you.
May 15th, 2005 02:50 PM
Dan
quote:
flexy633 wrote:

Yes, but are you talking about Section A1 and A6? I think the people who have gotten tickets in the first few rows in those 2 sections are going to be disappointed BIG TIME. I believe that these people who got $99 tickets in those sections are going to be sitting behind huge speakers and won't be able to see a thing. They are way off to the side.

One of the few seats worth a hundred to me would be up front facing the speakers. Unfortunately at stadium shows the speakers are so far away from everything that its really tough to find an optimal spot for good sound, especially the way baseball stadiums are configured.
May 15th, 2005 03:03 PM
Flairville Wouldn't it have to say 'Restricted view' if that was the case for the 1st 5 rows?
May 15th, 2005 03:14 PM
Dan
quote:
Flairville wrote:
Wouldn't it have to say 'Restricted view' if that was the case for the 1st 5 rows?

I dont think there is any rule about putting restricted view on a ticket whether the view is restricted or not. Also until the stage is actually built, no one really has any idea which views will be restricted. The sections directly to the side could already be restricted, or if after they build the stage, they could find that there is plenty of view directly to the side and open up more sections.
May 15th, 2005 03:31 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
flexy633 wrote:

You could be right about the A1 & A6 seats but I had similar seats at a similar venue for Licks and they were fantastic.

And check this out... What about $100 for FLD 3 ROW 2 for San Francisco? They look pretty good to me.

May 16th, 2005 03:57 AM
kahoosier posted this somewhere else and forget where. Chicago Licks Comsiky Park, paid a fortune for two tickets trhat on paper looked good half way between main and B stage, but very lateral. What a mistake, sight lines sucked, sound was horrible. I would have been better off 10-20 rows futher back toward the center.
May 16th, 2005 10:44 AM
Saint Sway the results of this thread are interesting and SAD.

doesnt seem like many of us hard-core fans are willing to shell $500 for a ticket.

I dont think that a band should set a ticket price so high that even their most rabid fans wont bite at it.

I think your biggest fans should have access to the best seats. It makes for a better show.

I really dont think the band gets that.
May 16th, 2005 10:47 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
flexy633 wrote:

I seriously thought the scalpers would be charging $450 a ticket in the first few rows. But, not the Stones themselves.

Why not? If the scalpers were charging that, than that is clearly the market figure. What is wrong with the Stones themselves controlling more of the ticket market as opposed to scalpers? Indeed, doing such was a stated motivation of the higher prices starting with 'No Security'.
May 16th, 2005 11:08 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the results of this thread are interesting and SAD.

doesnt seem like many of us hard-core fans are willing to shell $500 for a ticket.

I dont think that a band should set a ticket price so high that even their most rabid fans wont bite at it.

I think your biggest fans should have access to the best seats. It makes for a better show.

As you say not the biggest fans but the ones with the most money get rewarded. This tendency is also visible in international soccer games. Not the fans but the ones who have money to burn are filling the stadiums. The companies and sponsors hand out tickets to employees who really don't give a damn where they're going to.
May 16th, 2005 12:54 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the results of this thread are interesting and SAD.

Interesting, not necessarily sad. AT least not to me

quote:

If Cohl reports figures this time around, I guess we will have to wait for those

quote:

Oh, I am sure plenty are biting at it.

quote:

How do you propose making the determination of who is a biggest fan and who sits where? Pop quiz at the ticket booth? I think anybody willing to blow a hundred for fan club access is obviously a bigger fan than me.

quote:

What they get is what has worked and will continue work throughout their touring history.
May 16th, 2005 03:34 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Dan wrote:
How do you propose making the determination of who is a biggest fan and who sits where? Pop quiz at the ticket booth?

Exactly my reaction. Ideally it sounds great, and true, but there's no way to get just the 'biggest fans' into these cheaper front seats. Pop quiz at the ticket booth, lol, that sounds interesting enough! Can you imagine the stress?? Hehehehe
quote:
Dan also wrote:
I think anybody willing to blow a hundred for fan club access is obviously a bigger fan than me.

That's nonsense. Bigger or lesser fans aren't determined by what they're willing to spend on the object of their obsession, like is said many times before in these threads.
May 17th, 2005 01:05 PM
hutz13 To some people, probably older fans with lots of dough, $450.00 is no big deal. For most of us myself included it's way out of my range regardless of my devotion to the group.

Realistically I'd be more willing to shell out for higher ticket prices to see a group in it's prime. (I know this will probably not sit well with some diehards, of which I'm actually one) but that's the way I see it.
May 17th, 2005 01:19 PM
Dan
quote:
hutz13 wrote:
To some people, probably older fans with lots of dough, $450.00 is no big deal. For most of us myself included it's way out of my range regardless of my devotion to the group.

I had a helluva harder time when I was 17 scrounging up $40 so me and my girlfriend could go see Megadeth than I would spending, say, $160 on a single ticket now. Sure doesn't mean the expense would be worth it to me right now.
May 17th, 2005 01:22 PM
hutz13 I think escalation of ticket prices in general has outpaced inflation. It would be interesting to see a study on that maybe it's been analysed somewhere.
May 17th, 2005 01:27 PM
Dan
quote:
hutz13 wrote:
I think escalation of ticket prices in general has outpaced inflation. It would be interesting to see a study on that maybe it's been analysed somewhere.

Inflation rates can easily be found on the internet. Rolling Stones tickets were the most expensive ever in 1969 at $8.50. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out with calculator.

In 1990 I paid $22.50 for 2nd row for Aerosmith and that was one of the biggest tours of the year so they could charge $3-4 more than say KISS or Iron Maiden. In 2001 I was offered 2nd row on TM for $85 plus service charges. Threw em back.
May 17th, 2005 01:31 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
anyone??

I'm curious to see how many die hards here are actually willing to pay the $450 face +plus handling charges +plus the $100 membership fee

by my stoner math estimates, thats around $600 for the FACE VALUE price of a ticket!! I cant imagine what a broker would charge for that same ticket!

has anyone here bought one?

also...
and if you did buy one, where is your seat?

I saw a $450 ticket onsale today and it was in the 35th row of Giants Stadium!!!

I didn't buy a $450.00 ticket (the highest price in Atlanta was $350.00) but apparently a lot of people have. It's all about basic economics and supply & demand. From looking over the Ticketbastard site, the Stones have had no trouble selling these type of tickets so far with the possible exception of Miami. Even in Miami, right now you can only get scattered singles for tickets priced at $400.00.

Stones Rule!!
[Edited by time is on my side]
May 17th, 2005 01:42 PM
Jair Oh Oh Oh! I cant' help myself!

No good songs & no good albuns for decades.

A FLOOD of old albuns been re-re-re-re-released with ragged excuses, all for fool us.

What bunch of stupids are we, huh?

Get out Stones, this is decadence avec indecence!

Retirement NOW!

Go get some rest and leave us with some good memories,
bunch of vultures.

Damn, I'm really piss!

[Edited by Jair]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour