ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What Stones song means the most to you and why? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
May 3rd, 2004 09:32 AM
scratched
quote:
beer wrote:
another topic that draws some good opinions is, who exactly played the main guitar part on 'Let It Loose'.

as a guitar player, i think it was Taylor that played it. To me, it is very unlike anything Keith would have ever played. But i could easily be wrong.
And Ventilator Blues. Taylor got his lone songwriting credit for that song. BUT, i don't think it's him playing the main rythm slide riff that the whole song is based on. I think it's Keith playin the simple slide riff on the album and when it was played live in '72. because if you listen to the live version from '72, the slide riff continues, while an obvious Mick T solo happens. But since Taylor got the partial songwriting credit, he probably showed the slide riff to Keith.

just my opinion.

what was the topic again?

I always thought this was Keith on guitar. Its a similar part to stuff like I Got The Blues and Love In Vain (i.e. arpeggios with the hammering on licks).
May 3rd, 2004 11:08 AM
glencar I've got one foot each firmly planted in the JJF & Tumbling Dice camps. If forced at gunpoint, TD wins.
May 3rd, 2004 11:23 AM
Zeeta Brown Sugar no question.

It grooves, rocks, rolls, shuffles, shakes, twists, jigs, and is the filthiest piece of meat ever recorded.

If any of you know me when I die please ensure it is played at my funeral and that everybody is dancing and celebrating my life as a Stones fan!

M
May 3rd, 2004 12:57 PM
Noonan McKane 'Gimme Shelter'. Greil Marcus called it: "The greatest rock and roll recording ever made", and although I'm no fan of Greil's (or anyone with ANYTHING to do with Rolling Stone magazine) I have to agree with him on this. It is probably not the best song Jagger and Richards ever wrote, but the way the recording captures building/releasing tension is masterful; The harmonica, imitating a steam whistle, almost but not quite distorting, the claustrophobic mix swelling all over the place, threatening to corrupt and split open any second, Merry Clayton's voice giving out, it's got the fucking lot. It's been said that most of the time Jimmy Miller spent as The Stones' producer, he was so wasted he didn't really know what he was doing. I think you did OK, Jimmy, son, god rest you.
Further, I believe 'Jumping Jack Flash' (yes, with a 'g'; We're British, for goodness sake!) is the greatest 45 ever issued with 'Brown Sugar' running very close behind. The lyrics of 'Brown Sugar' are the filthiest song words to ever to grace daytime radio.
Beautiful.
May 3rd, 2004 02:15 PM
Noonan McKane Me again. Hope you guys don't object to double posts, but I tend to to ramble.
Another one that's always been special to me is "I Just Want To See His Face"
I can't really say for sure what it is about this, but when I first heard 'Exile", that was the one I went back to, about 15 times, after playing the album right through. It's frustratingly short, yet just about the right length. Spooky, unnerving, obscure and secret. I know it often gets compared to the kind of thing Dr John Mac Rebennack (is that his name?) does, but to these ears it's unique...
"Stand up and be counted, yeah! Get out your mind...."
May 3rd, 2004 02:42 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I doubt any of you would have guessed this one of me, but it's Ruby Tuesday.

Here's why:

The very first time I saw the Stones live, Pittsburgh 1989, I had my Rolling stones epiphany during Ruby Tuesday. Up until that time I was just a casual "Hot Rocks" type fan. I mean, I was a punk rocker. But as the Stones were doing Ruby Tuesday that night, I found myself with tears streaming down my face. Tears of uncontrollable joy.

The very next day, I went out and bought most all of the Stones catalogue. I was a true devotee, to the point of a mania even, from then on.

OMG.....
May 3rd, 2004 02:46 PM
Joey " ..and even though I didn't have a concept of 'sexy' at that age "

Gotta go with " Gimme Shelter " ....................those opening arpeggios of Keith's ALWAYS bring back vivid and haunting memories of the ' Nam .

Jacky Cong !
May 3rd, 2004 02:48 PM
jb
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Brown Sugar no question.

It grooves, rocks, rolls, shuffles, shakes, twists, jigs, and is the filthiest piece of meat ever recorded.

If any of you know me when I die please ensure it is played at my funeral and that everybody is dancing and celebrating my life as a Stones fan!

M

Thanks for the snake anology...your quite a guy!!!
May 3rd, 2004 02:59 PM
Joey " If any of you know me when I die please ensure it is played at my funeral and that everybody is dancing and celebrating my life as a Stones fan! "

Amen .

God forbid , but If your young Joey should ever turn blue and " kick it " , Everyone .....................Please , PLEASE , PLEASE ensure that the following takes place :

1. ) Tremendous Drinking , Partying , Smoking , Snorting and Sexual Activity .

2. ) ROLLING STONES / WHO Music playing " round the clock "

3. ) Immediate funding and construction of the " Joey Center for Vietnam Studies " to remind all citizens of the United States why we should NEVER get involved in these Damn Civil Wars .

For Stoney : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jersee Joe !
[Edited by Joey]
May 3rd, 2004 03:03 PM
jb I will continue to post on your behalf.
May 3rd, 2004 03:07 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I will continue to post on your behalf.

Seriously ?!?!?!?!

May 3rd, 2004 03:19 PM
jb
May 3rd, 2004 03:21 PM
Joey

I would like to nuzzle you .
May 3rd, 2004 03:24 PM
jb I didn't realize SS only became a fan in 89...very shocking.....
May 3rd, 2004 03:53 PM
Joey " I didn't realize SS only became a fan in 89...very shocking..... "

He is very serious .
May 3rd, 2004 04:04 PM
LadyJane Ahem...could you two PLEASE post on topic just once!!

I really like this thread....what are your respective favorite Stones songs, jb and Joey?

I just gots to know!!

LJ.
May 3rd, 2004 04:14 PM
Joey " what are your respective favorite Stones songs, jb and Joey?

I just gots to know!! "

Hello My Princess ...........................

The Answer : " Gimme Shelter "

..........you are right , that song is just as relevant today as it was back in 1969 ( The height of the Vietnam War ) .

May 3rd, 2004 04:19 PM
Scottfree
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
It is a very hard choice but Gimme Shelter IMO is the most prolific song EVER written. It is as relevent today, if not more so, than it was 35 years ago.

And the intro still sends a chill down my spine.

LJ.

I concur, and the beauty of Shelter are all the amazing variations of it Live, they can be vastly different but usually take you to the same place.

For instance 72 versus the Stripped Comp version, versus St' Louis 97 ,and a multitude of others.....
May 3rd, 2004 04:29 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Noonan McKane wrote:
Me again. Hope you guys don't object to double posts, but I tend to to ramble.
Another one that's always been special to me is "I Just Want To See His Face"
I can't really say for sure what it is about this, but when I first heard 'Exile", that was the one I went back to, about 15 times, after playing the album right through. It's frustratingly short, yet just about the right length. Spooky, unnerving, obscure and secret. I know it often gets compared to the kind of thing Dr John Mac Rebennack (is that his name?) does, but to these ears it's unique...
"Stand up and be counted, yeah! Get out your mind...."

You can't be wrong on this thread.....Post all you want they'll make more....
May 3rd, 2004 04:30 PM
Joey " I concur, and the beauty of Shelter are all the amazing variations of it Live, they can be vastly different but usually take you to the same place. "

Yes Scottfree ..........You raise a very interesting point coupled with a lucid analysis . Because of your immense posting skills , Bismarck's sardonic crack that making music, like making sausages, should never be looked at too closely, is triumphantly refuted.

I salute you .

J.

May 3rd, 2004 05:26 PM
Noonan McKane I can dig that.
Now, I don't want to start a fight, what with me being new and all, but I have to say I can't really agree with you, Joey, about 'Gimme Shelter' live. I feel The Stones have never done it justice live. It's too intricate; Purely a creation of the studio. (Having said that, I saw 'The Counterfeit Stones' in '99. Note for note. Perfect. Is this blasphemy? I'm sorry!)
I've seen The Stones 3 times now, (the last three tours. In Sheffield, Edinburgh and Glasgow respectively) and only on the "Licks" tour, at Glasgow SECC last September did I hear them play a set which did NOT include it.
It caused a lot of debate in the car park afterwards, but I think they did the right thing.
Can I cause further fury by suggesting "Sympathy For The Devil" be permanently retired from the live set, on the same grounds?........

PS. The centrepiece of the set at the SECC (which would be the 'arena show' on "Four Flicks") was unquestionably an absolutely staggering "Midnight Rambler". Any band with material like this in it's back catalogue can quite comfortably trim a number or two from it's rep.!

PPS. Am I banned now?
May 3rd, 2004 05:43 PM
Joey " Now, I don't want to start a fight, what with me being new and all, but I have to say I can't really agree with you, Joey, about 'Gimme Shelter' live. I feel The Stones have never done it justice live. It's too intricate; Purely a creation of the studio. "

Actually , I agree with you .

1995's " Amsterdam Paradiso " version of G. S. is superb though ..............................others here would know a lot more about other live versions .
May 3rd, 2004 05:45 PM
Bloozehound sounds serious

May 3rd, 2004 05:51 PM
Noonan McKane The Paradiso version is pretty excellent, Joey, I'll gladly give you that.
Your avatar is fucking fantastic, by the way!
May 3rd, 2004 06:55 PM
ChrisEditor Saint of Me just grabs me and won't let me go.
May 3rd, 2004 07:05 PM
Flairville I've seen the following response before somewhere and think it's really relevant; 'Your favourite Stones song? It's like choosing your favourite child!'
May 3rd, 2004 07:40 PM
Mr Jimmy Whenever a friend asks, "What's your favourite Stones song?" I always say I don't have a favourite. It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to boil down a few hundred songs and that's probably the reason why I love them so much... for me, no other band comes close. My favourite can change week by week, month by month, but to keep with the spirit of the thread, I'm right there with SIA's reasons for Tumbing Dice (hence my signature) Gimme Shelter for all of its eerie, pulsating sexuality, and the perennial 'I just have to get up and dance to this' Brown Sugar. I know I just listed three instead of one!

Then again, SW didn't ask for our favourite song, instead he asked what song "MEANS" the most to us and "WHY" and that would have to be ( for studio) Brown Sugar. I don't know about the rest of you but it's always been my experience that Brown Sugar is a Stones song that's guaranteed to get people up and dancing even if they're not Stones fans. The room oozes with a fun vibe and I feel the buzz of everyone loving the music that I've loved for so long. I get a warm rush running through my head as I watch all the people moving to the music and I'm thinking ' Yeah. You get it. You're feeling it.' and I don't want the song to stop I just want to keep on grooving. I want to keep sharing the rhythm. So what the hell, I think it's the ability of Brown Sugar to move so many other people along with me, that makes it (almost) mean the most to me, even if it isn't my favourite. Sorry for the longwindedness but I tried.
May 3rd, 2004 09:31 PM
*ginda Gimme Shelter. From the first time I heard it I was moved by it in a way no other song had done before or has done since.

When THAT song came on people would stop talking, close their eyes and listen. When at long last I saw the Stones perform it (from my usual nosebleed view)it was like a volt of electricity shot through me. Had I not been so close to the rafters already I would have levitated.
May 3rd, 2004 09:50 PM
TracyGene Gimme Shelter is the first Stones tune that I heard.It still is as haunting as it was back in the 70's for me.That was back when I was in Jr. high.Before that I didn't even know who the Stones were."Bad on me!"
May 3rd, 2004 10:06 PM
Noonan McKane Mr Jimmy-Absolutely. You got it.
"Brown Sugar" is a record built for the dancefloor par excellance.
Considering how dance tunes these days are built upon rhythms set and controlled by computer, is it not remarkable how BS is dictated, from start to finish (you can hear him in yer left speaker, unshakeable, relentless) by Keith's guitar? This was a highly intoxicated man back then, don't forget.
But a man who knew, nonetheless when it had to count (2 3 4 5 6 7 8) and by christ, did he make it count!
Page: 1 2 3 4