ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What Stones song means the most to you and why? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
May 4th, 2004 12:17 AM
gypsy This has been a fun thread. It's interesting to see who chose what song and why. I also find it interesting that so many chose "Gimme Shelter." I love that song too...gives me goosebumps. And, knowing the story behind it makes it even more meaningful.

LJ, I do agree with you...I wish jb and joey would quit highjacking the threads w/ quotes, emoticons, and other inane stuff.

I love it when someone starts an interesting thread like this. SS does quite a few...then it gets taken over by joey and jb.

And, I like jb and joey, but it has gone overboard.
May 4th, 2004 07:26 AM
caro Gimme Shelter for me too. Like LJ said :
quote:
And the intro still sends a chill down my spine.

Each time I hear it, I have this image in my head of standing in the desert with a storm coming on. And Merry Clayton's voice is so haunting...

I wish I could hear it live just once without that stupid plastic synthesizer intro they used when I saw them last year...
May 4th, 2004 07:51 AM
Factory Girl Let It Loose is my favorite Stones song...it is a great raw emotional ballad unlike many sappy drippy ballads that they're fond of writing (like the dreadful Angie).

Btw, Let It Looose has never been played live.
May 4th, 2004 08:10 AM
LadyJane I agree with you gypsy. This is a very interesting thread. I'm a tad surprised with the overwhelming feelings for Gimme Shelter. It's almost like a hymn for me.

Got to give props to Brown Sugar also. I have always said that it is the one song that makes me dance. It is impossible not to.

Keep the posts coming.

LJ.
May 4th, 2004 09:35 AM
Joey " This has been a fun thread. It's interesting to see who chose what song and why. I also find it interesting that so many chose "Gimme Shelter." I love that song too...gives me goosebumps. And, knowing the story behind it makes it even more meaningful. "

" LJ, I do agree with you...I wish jb and joey would quit highjacking the threads w/ quotes, emoticons, and other inane stuff. "

" I love it when someone starts an interesting thread like this. SS does quite a few...then it gets taken over by joey and jb. "

" And, I like jb and joey, but it has gone overboard. "

Joeykins !
May 4th, 2004 09:52 AM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
This has been a fun thread. It's interesting to see who chose what song and why. I also find it interesting that so many chose "Gimme Shelter." I love that song too...gives me goosebumps. And, knowing the story behind it makes it even more meaningful.

LJ, I do agree with you...I wish jb and joey would quit highjacking the threads w/ quotes, emoticons, and other inane stuff.

I love it when someone starts an interesting thread like this. SS does quite a few...then it gets taken over by joey and jb.

And, I like jb and joey, but it has gone overboard.

We like you too.....please understand, however, that the emoticons and song lyrics are not intended to "hijack" any particular thread. Rather, the use of these items are solely intended to enhance the already existing thread. Joey and I have promised each other that during the "down" times (non-touring periods) we would keep the board fresh by coming up with "new" ways to entertain our fellow posters while maintaining the integrity of the board. Consequently, during a very slow period 4 months ago, Joey and I spoke via e-mails and decided that the emoticons and song lyrics were the perfect foil to some of the more serious posters....The only problem at the time was that I did not know how to cut and paste. Thankfully, through much hard work, Joey taught me how to cut and paste and for that, I am forever indebted to him. I hope this clears up any confusion or misunderstanding regarding what we are attempting to do....we do it out of love for this board and for our fellow "Rocks-off" members.

May 4th, 2004 09:57 AM
Joey " And, I like jb and joey, but it has gone overboard. "

Zoot suit, white jacket with side vents
Five inches long.
I'm out on the street again
And I'm leaping along.
I'm dressed right for a beach fight,
But I just can't explain
Why that uncertain feeling is still
Here in my brain.

May 4th, 2004 09:59 AM
Joey " Thankfully, through much hard work, Joey taught me how to cut and paste and for that, I am forever indebted to him. I hope this clears up any confusion or misunderstanding regarding what we are attempting to do....we do it out of love for this board and for our fellow "Rocks-off" members."

May 4th, 2004 10:08 AM
LadyJane No matter howe much you two annoy me at times, I can't be mad at you. I guess it's love!!

jb..YOUR favorite Stones song and Why..I'm waiting..

LJ.
May 4th, 2004 10:12 AM
Joey " No matter howe much you two annoy me at times, I can't be mad at you. I guess it's love!! "

www.HoweMilitary.com

May 4th, 2004 10:13 AM
Some Guy Shes so cold- The first time I heard it on the radio I loved it. 1980, damn good times!
May 4th, 2004 10:14 AM
beer For Jb and Joey....

Flash's Theme [Brian May]:

Flash - Ah - Saviour of the universe
Flash - Ah - He'll save every one of us
Seemingly there is no reason for these
Extraordinary intergalactical upsets
What's happening Flash?
Only Dr Hans Zarkov formerly at NASA
Has provided any explanation
Flash - Ah - He's a miracle
This mornings unprecedented solar eclipse Is no cause for alarm
Flash - Ah - King of the impossible
He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He'll save with a mighty hand
Every man every woman every child
He's a mighty
Flash
General Kaka
Flash Gordon approaching
What do you mean
Flash Gordon approaching?
Open fire all weapons
Dispatch war rocket
Ajax to bring back his body
Flash - Ah Gordon's alive
Flash - Ah - He'll save every one of us
Just a man with a man's courage
He knows nothing but a man
But he can never fail
No-one but the pure in heart
May find the golden grail oh oh oh oh
Flash Flash I love you
But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth

-------------------------------

"General Kaka
Flash Gordon approaching"

WTF?
May 4th, 2004 10:23 AM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
No matter howe much you two annoy me at times, I can't be mad at you. I guess it's love!!

jb..YOUR favorite Stones song and Why..I'm waiting..

LJ.

My favorite live Stones song probably is the version of Gimme Shelter as performed on the bootleg "Philadelhia Special", first show. This masterpiece was provided to me by our fellow board member "Throbby"(a very generous guy) and I do not let one day go by without listening to it...Mick Taylor simply is beyond reproach , KR was unquestionably the greatest rhythm guitar player at the time, Mick's vocals are literally "threatening", Charlie timing is perfect, Bill adds those bass loops which we have to quickly forgotten, and Nicky Hopkins thoughtful, sparing piano chops give it that haunted feel.
As far as studio recordings, I would have to go with "Sway"...absolutely all the ingredients of what makes the Stones the Stones....also reminds me of my college days getting wasted, having corpulent sex, and taking long naps between classes....
[Edited by jb]
May 4th, 2004 02:16 PM
gypsy I luv them too, LJ. It's a luv/hate kinda thing. Joey will always have a special place in my...

...heart.
May 4th, 2004 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I luv them too, LJ. It's a luv/hate kinda thing. Joey will always have a special place in my...

...heart.

Come to Joey ....................
May 4th, 2004 05:25 PM
UGot2Rollme I've been hesitating to post on this topic (as if anyone cares), but after a few beers, I deliberated a bit before reading any of the posts and came up with the following 3:

1. for me performing: Dead Flowers cause it's a great tune and I think I do it damn good.

2. for listening: GIMME SHELTER... because it's a Stones love song to the world and the most moving song they've recorded in studio...so surprised to see so many similar responses!

3. for seeing live: there are so many, but When the Whip Comes Down circa '78 is one of the best.... something about Jagger on guitar.
May 4th, 2004 05:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
Rocks Off

Because

"
"
"
"
"
V
May 4th, 2004 05:37 PM
gypsy We should've know, Voodoo. Why, I can even picture you dancing around the house in you Omega costume to "Rocks Off."
May 4th, 2004 06:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl what's the matter with you boy?
May 5th, 2004 04:55 AM
luxury1 I have a few. I cant just pick one. Shine a Light, Let it Loose, Winter, Moonlight Mile, Wild Horses on No Security--hey they are all ballads. I dont know why, damn it. I need to wake up before I post.
May 5th, 2004 05:47 AM
Jumacfly Under my Thumb...it was my fav when i discovered the Stones via "hot rocks" in 1989..love this intro, the vocals, the accoustic guitar and the small licks on electric , the rythm was insane: Charlie is my fav musician since this magic moment...
then Gimme Shelter, SIA did a great post about this one!!

more recent, i love faraway eyes for those great fu..ing lyrics and hilarious jagger voice! amazing on Handsome Girls!!

voodoo: when I heard RO last summer in Bercy, it was a pure delirium in my head, one of my all time fav from my fav board !!
May 5th, 2004 05:56 AM
F505 Let it loose
May 5th, 2004 12:20 PM
glencar LadyJane wrote:
It is a very hard choice but Gimme Shelter IMO is the most prolific song EVER written. It is as relevent today, if not more so, than it was 35 years ago.

And the intro still sends a chill down my spine.

LJ.

Prolific? I'm not sure I understand it in this context.
May 5th, 2004 12:38 PM
LadyJane Intellectually productive...

LJ.
May 5th, 2004 02:13 PM
Joey " Prolific? I'm not sure I understand it in this context. "

May 5th, 2004 06:09 PM
West 8 Good topic. I'll have to say ER and She's So Cold. These are the 1st two videos I've ever seen from the Stones. It was on Solid Gold with Wolfman Jack as host. It was truely a moment in time that changed my life. I was mesmerized by Mick and Keith taught me you can look tough & wear eye makeup. It was at that moment that the Stones became my favorite band(before that they were 2nd to Pink Floyd. Hey I was a pothead) The Mick fix was in. I started doing my Mick impression when a Stones song would come on the radio. It's kind of strange when I think of my 14 year old friends asking me to do my "Mick thing" back then & now years later walking into a karaoke bar and people asking the same thing. My God what would be my local claim to fame if it was not for the Stones,LOL.
May 5th, 2004 07:58 PM
Steel Wheels Hello all. I'm relaxing reading all of these great posts. I figure I should add to the thread I started.

For me, the song that means the most, the song that hits on all the right emotions, and that the lyrics hit home, would have to be Loving Cup. 1972. Exile on Main Street. I've lived it and I look forward to living it again.

I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun, I'm the man who brings you roses when you ain't got none. Well I can run and jump and fish, but I won't fight with you if you want to push and pull with me all night..."

"I feel so humble with you tonight, just sitting in front of the fire, see your face catching in the flame, thinking about kissing me again, what a beautiful buzz."

"I am nitty gritty and my shirt's all torn, but I would love to spill the beans with you till dawn."

This is music at it's most intense. Full of evocative imagery, heart-fealt sentimentality, and humbleness in the presence of true romantic love.
May 6th, 2004 09:36 AM
jb
May 6th, 2004 09:41 AM
Joey

Home Again !!!!!
May 6th, 2004 09:45 AM
jb This is a temporary situation ...I am using another lap top and I don't know how long I can hold out.
Page: 1 2 3 4