ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What Stones song means the most to you and why? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
May 1st, 2004 10:47 PM
Steel Wheels Just one song. Boil that list down.
May 1st, 2004 10:59 PM
Bloozehound i don't know why but Dead Flowers has always been one of my alltime fav's

its got a fuck it, fuck the world, and fuck you too attitude that appeals to me

not to mention the great laid-back country groove
May 1st, 2004 11:08 PM
M.O.W.A.T. For me its Sympathy for the Devil.

This was world music before the term was even invented. It was fresh-sounding back in the 60s. I have always loved the fact that the Stones were able to weave historical events and social commentary into such a great song. I don't either the Beatles or Dylan could have written a song like SFTD. It is one of 3 to 5 Stones songs that I never get tired of listening to.
May 2nd, 2004 12:49 AM
MarioMendoza
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Just one song. Boil that list down.

That's gonna be tough. "Let it Bleed" possibly.
May 2nd, 2004 01:10 AM
beer well, this is tough cuz it sometimes changes every day. but i guess Jumpin Jack Flash for a very specific reason: Those fucking guitars! when i hear the intro guitar part(the part they don't play live), then when Jagger goes "One, Two" then the main riff kicks in. it blows my mind every time. It is one of the best things i've ever heard.

Same with the first 15 or 20 seconds of "Brown Sugar". INCREDIBLE.

AND, same with the intro to Gimme Shelter. i could go on and on...
May 2nd, 2004 01:17 AM
Madafaka Jumpin' Jack Flash. For a strage reason, that tune freezes my blood. Is EXCELLENT
May 2nd, 2004 06:09 AM
mac_daddy "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

The finest tune ever composed and recorded in modern popular music...

Live - it is a whole different animal... It becomes a rocker, whether Mick T is laying his licks down, or whether Ronnie is making it his own. In fact, it is on this track, above all others, that Ronnie proves his mettle on his very first tour with the band (T.O.T.A. '75)

in all of its incarnations, it is absolutely perfect.

May 2nd, 2004 09:23 AM
egon must be harlem shuffle. i bought the single at the time,
but till this day i can't remeber wether i knew the stones. i just liked the song. it took me another 3 years to become a real fan.
May 2nd, 2004 09:32 AM
Bob Tamp There are so many but i would have to choose Torn and Frayed.
Its autobiographical, and it still touches my me everytime.
May 2nd, 2004 09:39 AM
egon bob, good to see you here! how are you doing?
May 2nd, 2004 09:56 AM
exilestones@netscape TOO TOUGH makes me want to destroy!!!!
May 2nd, 2004 10:25 AM
LadyJane It is a very hard choice but Gimme Shelter IMO is the most prolific song EVER written. It is as relevent today, if not more so, than it was 35 years ago.

And the intro still sends a chill down my spine.

LJ.
May 2nd, 2004 11:25 AM
Main Offender "Torn & Frayed" for sure. It shows the depth of the drug problems at the time and mentions "Joe". I'm thinking that must be Keith's late handler, Joe Seabrook. They might have used his name rather than Keith/the guitar player for travelling reasons. And ,it's so country/bluesy.
May 2nd, 2004 11:30 AM
Bob Tamp Egon, im doing ok...not great
Its been a shitty month for sure. However the gig must go on even if my main partner in crime is gone. "On with the Show"
May 2nd, 2004 12:20 PM
Gimme Shelter I would have to say "Gimme Shelter".
May 2nd, 2004 04:41 PM
JaggaRichards Gimme Shelter.
End of story!
May 2nd, 2004 04:48 PM
stewed & Keefed Stray Cat Blues.
May 2nd, 2004 04:53 PM
Lazy Bones Midnight Rambler.
May 2nd, 2004 05:04 PM
DG81 'Time waits For No One' - a real spine-tingler and Mick Taylor is fucking brilliant on this.
May 2nd, 2004 05:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot I doubt any of you would have guessed this one of me, but it's Ruby Tuesday.

Here's why:

The very first time I saw the Stones live, Pittsburgh 1989, I had my Rolling stones epiphany during Ruby Tuesday. Up until that time I was just a casual "Hot Rocks" type fan. I mean, I was a punk rocker. But as the Stones were doing Ruby Tuesday that night, I found myself with tears streaming down my face. Tears of uncontrollable joy.

The very next day, I went out and bought most all of the Stones catalogue. I was a true devotee, to the point of a mania even, from then on.
May 2nd, 2004 06:38 PM
gypsy God, that is a tough one. It does vary from day to day, and depends upon what type of mood you're in.
Gotta go with "Satisfaction"--because it is the first song I remember ever hearing by them...and even though I didn't have a concept of 'sexy' at that age...that song exudes sex.
May 2nd, 2004 06:42 PM
shakedhandswithkeith Memory Motel - but I don`t tell you her name.....
May 2nd, 2004 07:16 PM
Angiegirl Gimme Shelter for me too. Will always be my favorite for some reason, it gives me the shivers (in a good way), still.
May 3rd, 2004 12:20 AM
Zack It's got to be Monkey Man. The opening, that first chord Keith hits, when the piano comes in on the break, when the slide comes in . . .
May 3rd, 2004 12:32 AM
stonedinaustralia 'Tumbling Dice' - the sum of all their black musical influences the total of which is greater than the parts

charlie's snare sound (if TD doesn't make you want to shake your hips then nothing will) - the backing vocals just so soulful - they send my sprit soaring -

the riff is quintessential stones/keith

and the lines "you got to roll me and call me the tumbling dice" is the best summation of the stones "attitude" in 25 words or less

the whole thing is just a fantastic groooooooove - "there's fever in the funk house now" and, by god, you'd better believe it
May 3rd, 2004 01:11 AM
beer
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
'Tumbling Dice' - the sum of all their black musical influences the total of which is greater than the parts

charlie's snare sound (if TD doesn't make you want to shake your hips then nothing will) - the backing vocals just so soulful - they send my sprit soaring -

the riff is quintessential stones/keith

and the lines "you got to roll me and call me the tumbling dice" is the best summation of the stones "attitude" in 25 words or less

the whole thing is just a fantastic groooooooove - "there's fever in the funk house now" and, by god, you'd better believe it

SIA!!!! Best post i've read in weeks! you speaketh the truth, my brother.

'the sum of all their black musical influences the total of which is greater than the parts'

truer words were never spoken.

Tumblin Dice will put me in a good mood no matter what. it's so care free and loose, and it underlines all the Stones glory so perfectly. The repeated rolling end is just incredible, it could go on for days and i'd still dig it. Not to mention that it's followed by fucking Sweet Virgina, Torn And Frayed AND Sweet Black Angel! The set list for Exile On Main Street is strategic! Indeed, they perfected the groove..
I'm gonna play it right now.
May 3rd, 2004 01:25 AM
beer .........and another thing about Tumblin Dice, Hear that killer loopy bass line? That's Mick Taylor! even from the first time i heard that song, the bass playing during the chorus really impressed me. lo and behold it's Taylor. And i know that Jagger is even credited as playing a guitar part on that track but i will never believe it. Nope.
May 3rd, 2004 02:26 AM
beer another topic that draws some good opinions is, who exactly played the main guitar part on 'Let It Loose'.

as a guitar player, i think it was Taylor that played it. To me, it is very unlike anything Keith would have ever played. But i could easily be wrong.
And Ventilator Blues. Taylor got his lone songwriting credit for that song. BUT, i don't think it's him playing the main rythm slide riff that the whole song is based on. I think it's Keith playin the simple slide riff on the album and when it was played live in '72. because if you listen to the live version from '72, the slide riff continues, while an obvious Mick T solo happens. But since Taylor got the partial songwriting credit, he probably showed the slide riff to Keith.

just my opinion.

what was the topic again?
May 3rd, 2004 06:20 AM
bez85 "Let's Spend The Night Together" 1966.. I was in the 6th grade, couldn't wait to get home from school and repeatedly play the 45 RPM..it's the song that turned me on to the Stones..Oddly it's a piano song and not a guitar song..who played the piano on the single? The piano rocked that song..
May 3rd, 2004 09:12 AM
nankerphelge I'm in the Tumblin' Dice camp too.

Although I almost said Satisfaction for the same reason gypsy said and JJF for the same reason MacDaddio said!

But Tumbling Dice crunches in a way different from them all

and even tho I think it had become a bit too showy live, that damn over-the-head hand clap of Mick's is intoxicating!
Page: 1 2 3 4