ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Can Jimmy Page substitute for Keith? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
4th May 2006 01:26 PM
Factory Girl glencar, check PM baby!!

Pagey is awesome, but not in the Stones!!

4th May 2006 01:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

SO IS BUCKWHEAT

4th May 2006 01:44 PM
Quarter Tone Okay, on a serious note, there was a incident in which a Keith replacement was concidered: there was a report in the LA Times (I think) just prior to the 1973 earthquake benefit concert that Keith was having visa issues getting back into the US on short notice to play that LA benefit show. The report said that Eric Clapton was being courted as a one-time replacement so the show could go on. Clapton, of course, not not needed because Keith's visa issue was resolved. I read about this in the weeks before the concert and never read about it again.
4th May 2006 01:56 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Quarter Tone wrote:
Okay, on a serious note, there was a incident in which a Keith replacement was concidered: there was a report in the LA Times (I think) just prior to the 1973 earthquake benefit concert that Keith was having visa issues getting back into the US on short notice to play that LA benefit show. The report said that Eric Clapton was being courted as a one-time replacement so the show could go on. Clapton, of course, not not needed because Keith's visa issue was resolved. I read about this in the weeks before the concert and never read about it again.

replacing Keith would be the end of the stones and I will not associate with anyone who believes he could/should be replaced!
4th May 2006 03:11 PM
Spru
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

replacing Keith would be the end of the stones and I will not associate with anyone who believes he could/should be replaced!

I agree 100%.
4th May 2006 03:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Spru wrote:

I agree 100%.

your love of Pearl Jam and ability to see the truth has earned my respect:

this will be you if we cross paths this tour:

4th May 2006 07:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Quarter Tone wrote:
Okay, on a serious note, there was a incident in which a Keith replacement was concidered: there was a report in the LA Times (I think) just prior to the 1973 earthquake benefit concert that Keith was having visa issues getting back into the US on short notice to play that LA benefit show. The report said that Eric Clapton was being courted as a one-time replacement so the show could go on. Clapton, of course, not not needed because Keith's visa issue was resolved. I read about this in the weeks before the concert and never read about it again.

Keith wanted to replace Mick with Roger Daltry on '86.

4th May 2006 08:08 PM
MrPleasant Get Plant to replace Jagger!! (*Goes into spastic convulsions*)
4th May 2006 08:11 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Turd OnThe Run wrote:
Page is a shadow of his former self.

If Page is a shadow of his former self - Keith is an entirley different person
4th May 2006 08:40 PM
Riffhard Page is not only a shadow of his former self,he never,and I mean never,was as good as the highschool Zep Heads made him out to be. It's common knowledge that of three guitar players that fronted the Yardbirds ol' Pagey was the weakest of the bunch. That's not a matter of opinion either. That's a matter of fact. If people liked Page more than that is their personal opinion,but the FACT is that he was never in the same league as Clapton or Beck for sheer guitar talent.

Tell ya what anchorman go put on Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow",and follow it up with any Cream album and then tell me with a straight face that Page was as good as either of those guys! Not even close. However,he was a genius in the studio.

Any thought of Page replacing Keef boarders on treason as far as I'm concerned. For one Page would catch total hell from the Stones fans. He would have all kinds of shit thrown at him if he even stepped foot on stage with thoughts of replacing Keith. I'll give Jimmy Page enough credit to say that he knows it would go over like a well,.....a led zeppelin. He is smart enough to know that it would huge mistake to even contemplate such an insane move.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
4th May 2006 09:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Keith wanted to replace Mick with Roger Daltry on '86.

Yes, I seem to remember reading that somewhere back around then. I suppose it was because the boys were in one of their fight modes.
4th May 2006 09:37 PM
CraigP Morocco, are you serious?
The words SUBSTITUTE and KEITH, as in Keith Richards (in the same sentence) are unable to be processsed in my head...
Throw in a Jimmy Page and Ich werde spinnen!
4th May 2006 09:42 PM
Twostoned This thread should be deleted.
4th May 2006 09:50 PM
CraigP Agreed.
4th May 2006 09:52 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Page is not only a shadow of his former self,he never,and I mean never,was as good as the highschool Zep Heads made him out to be. It's common knowledge that of three guitar players that fronted the Yardbirds ol' Pagey was the weakest of the bunch. That's not a matter of opinion either. That's a matter of fact. If people liked Page more than that is their personal opinion,but the FACT is that he was never in the same league as Clapton or Beck for sheer guitar talent.

Tell ya what anchorman go put on Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow",and follow it up with any Cream album and then tell me with a straight face that Page was as good as either of those guys! Not even close. However,he was a genius in the studio.

Any thought of Page replacing Keef boarders on treason as far as I'm concerned. For one Page would catch total hell from the Stones fans. He would have all kinds of shit thrown at him if he even stepped foot on stage with thoughts of replacing Keith. I'll give Jimmy Page enough credit to say that he knows it would go over like a well,.....a led zeppelin. He is smart enough to know that it would huge mistake to even contemplate such an insane move.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]

1st off...no one could replace Keith. The Stones will die with him when he goes...

In regard to your hard on for Page...
I'm not sure Clapton or Beck could come close to Page's songwriting prowess. Could Clapton or Beck come up with The Rain Song or In The Light? I think not. And in terms of his live playing - I don't think you've ever heard Page live before 77...at least the way you talk. It's obvious you hate Page. Just don't let your hatred cloud you judgement. Meatball.

Of the 3 - I'd probably take Clapton for pure blues wailing...

Whne you think of Hendrix - you think that he was heads and shoulders about these other guys - but if you listen to Clapton's stuff from back then (the live cream stuff) - he was playing his ass off just as bad as Hendrix...
[Edited by theanchorman]
4th May 2006 10:36 PM
Riffhard
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

1st off...no one could replace Keith. The Stones will die with him when he goes...

In regard to your hard on for Page...
I'm not sure Clapton or Beck could come close to Page's songwriting prowess. Could Clapton or Beck come up with The Rain Song or In The Light? I think not. And in terms of his live playing - I don't think you've ever heard Page live before 77...at least the way you talk. It's obvious you hate Page. Just don't let your hatred cloud you judgement. Meatball.

I don't hate Page! Not at all. In fact I quite like him. I just am not going to pretend that he is,or ever was,the greatest guitar player that ever lived. I guess what I'm saying here is that I don't hate(way too strong a word btw)Jimmy Page,but hard core Zeppelin fans drive me a little batty with their constant rants about Page's brilliance! I think the guy is brilliant in the studio,and yes,he is a very capable song writer. However,as a player he is not what many Zep Heads always hold him up as. I could name at least ten players right off the top of my head that better actual players than Page is,or ever has been.

That's my beef. I mean I actually like much of what he has done over the years. Admittedly I have grown out of my younger days of getting stoned and playing air guitar along with Kashmir. I still love to throw on Presence on rare occassions and crank Achilles Last Stand though.

Like for example,I don't hate cats,but I hate alot of cat lovers. A cat lover will tell you that cat's are the smartest,wisest,most indivualistic of all domesticated animals and that proves that they are smarter than dogs! Well that is just utter bullshit! You can't tell that to a cat lover though! I consider many Zepellin fans to be very much like cat lovers. They refuse to look beyond their own biased view of the band.

I hope that explains where I'm coming from. Plus I was ribbing you a little because you are posting on a Stones message board that Page is basically a better player now than Keith is. I wholeheartedly dissagree with that assesment.

Riffy
4th May 2006 11:05 PM
Taptrick
I heard Keith is actually going to join THE FIRM.

He's radioactive.

Remember those guys?

4th May 2006 11:23 PM
GotToRollMe This thread is driving me to hard drugs.
5th May 2006 12:09 AM
PeerQueer To the starter of this thread - to dare mention the idea of replacing Keith with ANYONE...

------------may you shall burn in hell-----------
5th May 2006 01:55 AM
glencar jimmy page was all the rage / i could not see the reason why...
5th May 2006 02:13 AM
Altamont
quote:
glencar wrote:
jimmy page was all the rage / i could not see the reason why...

That wraps up this topic. Well done Glencar!
5th May 2006 02:29 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
To the starter of this thread - to dare mention the idea of replacing Keith with ANYONE...

------------may you shall burn in hell-----------

Well done.
5th May 2006 09:36 AM
Jumping Jack If anyone is capable of a 30 minute Miss You it would be Page. It would give you time for a couple drinks, shop for t-shirts and take a dump and not miss a thing!
5th May 2006 10:40 AM
Zack
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
If anyone is capable of a 30 minute Miss You it would be Page. It would give you time for a couple drinks, shop for t-shirts and take a dump and not miss a thing!

Now THAT's funny! A 30 minute Miss You!

Riffy, how can it be a "fact" that one guitar player is better than another? Facts are objective. Guitar prowess is subjective. (This is not intended to prolong the Page debate).
5th May 2006 10:51 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Zack wrote:

Riffy, how can it be a "fact" that one guitar player is better than another? Facts are objective. Guitar prowess is subjective. (This is not intended to prolong the Page debate).

when comparing Page to the other legends of his era (Clapton, Hendrix, Richards, Beck, Taylor, etc) it becomes Subjective.
5th May 2006 10:58 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Zack wrote:

No facts are facts period. Opinions are subjective. 2 plus 2 equals 4. That's a fact. There is no "objectivness" to it. It just is what it is.

For example. Rembrandt was better painter than Mrs. Green's second grade finger painting class. However,in your opinion you may like finger painting better than a Rembrandt painting. Opinions are subjective. Facts are not.

Fact-Jimmy Page is a finger painting artist compared to many of his contemporaries that were Rembrandts.

Riffy
5th May 2006 01:36 PM
Turd OnThe Run
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Fact-Jimmy Page is a finger painting artist compared to many of his contemporaries that were Rembrandts.

Riffy

Thats your opinion. Very subjective, and not a fact!

5th May 2006 01:42 PM
Spru
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

your love of Pearl Jam and ability to see the truth has earned my respect

Thanks buddy. Right back at you.
5th May 2006 09:16 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

No facts are facts period. Opinions are subjective. 2 plus 2 equals 4. That's a fact. There is no "objectivness" to it. It just is what it is.

For example. Rembrandt was better painter than Mrs. Green's second grade finger painting class. However,in your opinion you may like finger painting better than a Rembrandt painting. Opinions are subjective. Facts are not.

Riffy

Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. That is fact. No Offense - I LOVE the Stones. I LOVE Keith. But he's basically just a chord player...all be it a great one. He wrote some cool stuff. But he's in such a different category from page, clapton, hendrix, etc because he can't fucking solo...thats a hard cold fact - but it's a fact. Keith is more image than anything - lets face it - Keith is a known for being a junkie...

I don't mean to be negative about Keith 'cause I love what he's done - but he's not on the same level of guitar playing as the other greats...

That being said - after Goats Head, Keith basically was finished (although I love all About You) - but he really suprised me with his songwriting from 88 - 97...

Slipping Away, Thru & Thru & Thief In The Night are otherworldy IMO...

It's great the way Keith matured...

5th May 2006 09:32 PM
pdog Keith can't solo? WTF? The playing on Sympathy alone is better than anything any other guitar player has ever done. Not for style, or difiiculty. His timing is why. No one plays like Keith... They try to be virtuoso to make up for their lack of timing, but they all fall short. Page resorted to props like a fucking bow... And Page is known for his drug use, that also didn't help his playing. While Keith excelled in the early 70's despite all the heroin.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)