ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
"On the Road" World Tour 2002-2003

Still we're gonna miss you.
Good Times Magazine Nr. 2 April/Mai/Juni 2002
Danke Bendix!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Opening Acts Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
05-04-02 10:45 AM
Riffhard I would not be at all surprised to see Ryan Adams doing alot of shows on this tour.Keith seems to like him quite a bit,and lord knows Ryan loves The Stones.
The only opening acts I've ever seen get any respect from a Stones crowd was The Stray Cats at The Fox Theater in Atlanta in '81 and,beleive it or not,The Coors in Philly for the No Security tour.The Coors actully got a very strong ovation.They were very poppy,but the talent was there no doubt about it.It didn't hurt that they are drop dead gorgeous.
Riffhard
05-04-02 11:59 AM
Stonesthrow Riffhard said the only opening acts he saw that got respect from a Stones crowd were the Stray Cats and the Corrs. The Ike & Tina Turner review got more than respect. They practically stole the show when I saw them in 1969.
05-04-02 12:10 PM
Dan
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:

Just bring on the Stones.

I would definitely enjoy a longer Stones set, yet seeing how Mick is totally propped up by the backing singers the last quarter of the show I don't think this will happen.

I did hear a rumor on the Metal-Sludge gossip board that GNR minus Axl may open the LA dates. They just played a brief set at the Randy Castillo tribute at the Key Club with Josh of Buckcherry on vox and Steven Tyler on Mama Kin.

Of course if the prices for the stadium shows I am seeing are correct they will probably have to get Aerosmith or even The Who to open. (My favorite joke when someone overbooks a venue is "Who you gonna get to open, The Rolling Stones?"
05-04-02 01:24 PM
AlexanderHic It seems so logical to have both GNR and/or Aerosmith since both are the second (and even third) rate Stones poseurs. The Who should have Mick Jagger's solo stuff as opening act for a farewell concert. Sorry...
05-04-02 09:07 PM
sly With ticket prices at an all time high most likely, and with all the publicity the tour is gonna get we should expect no less than a 3 hour show with a 20 minute intermission and no opening act. Just the ROLLING FRICKIN' STONES !!!!
05-05-02 09:11 AM
gypsymofo60 In my perfect Stones World, 2003 by the time they hit OZ, The guest list would be wide and varied,(at least some cred.) They would as I have said before take a more active role throughout the gig. As for support, as I say this is fantasy land here, THE BLACK CROWES please!..... Rip This Joint!
05-05-02 09:46 AM
Cardinal Ximinez The BCs are defunct. Officially, they no longer exist.
05-05-02 10:03 AM
gypsymofo60 Card, the word was fantasy!
05-05-02 10:18 AM
The Worst
quote:
Ruskafarian wrote:
I don't want any one-hit
wonders opening (Nickleback <- Canadian band, eh?)

I don't know them, I don't listen to the charts since years.
05-05-02 10:20 AM
The Worst
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I've heard Glenn "Smuggler's Blues" Frey...I heard it from KeepRigid, so it can't just be a rumor...

I don't know him.
05-05-02 10:23 AM
The Worst
quote:
Dan wrote:
Rammstein (full stage show and all)

They used to be my favourite band five years ago (one of my parents was shocked and couldn't stand the music ). Now, I wouldn't pay money for a show of Rammstein alone, but they would be a great addition to a Stones show. Maybe the Stones should use similiar pyrotechnics (e.g. fire for "Sympathy For The Devil")?
05-05-02 10:26 AM
The Worst
quote:
Dan wrote:
Melanie C (Sporty Spice solo - she rocks)

Oooh nooo, pleeeasssse noooottttt ! The tickets will be expensive enough, I would hate having to buy earplugs *g*!
05-05-02 10:33 AM
The Worst
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
It was interesting. Fucking Blues Traveler, The Corrs,

I don't think, that I would very much like the Corrs as an opening act, but even though they are not the music I listen to, I must admit, that they are talented (and the girls look good ), and they could play with Ronnie (if there will be a Ronnie on this tour), as they already did. After all, the Corrs ARE real musicians (unlike for example Mel C. *g*).
05-05-02 10:42 AM
The Worst
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
Followed closely by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and their amazing lightbulb heads.

Now I think that time has come for an alternative to alternative rock . Take "Otherside" as an example, perhaps the monotonous song I've ever heard- what a sleeping pill! One of the most overrated bands ever IMO.
05-05-02 10:48 AM
The Worst
quote:
AlexanderHic wrote:
It seems so logical to have both GNR and/or Aerosmith since both are the second (and even third) rate Stones poseurs. The Who should have Mick Jagger's solo stuff as opening act for a farewell concert. Sorry...

I would prefer acts that play music different from the Stones to open. Nobody can copy the Rolling Stones better than the Rolling Stones themselves can ...
05-05-02 10:56 AM
The Worst
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
We were lucky enough to get Santana in Orlando in '97 but they only played for forty minutes...

Somebody asked me, whether I would be interested in the forthcoming Santana concert in Vienna- no, definitely not! I love the Stones, but don't like or buy sixties music in general (unlike what some believe, I have nothing to do with hippies and would prefer to let them rest in peace- including their music).
05-05-02 11:08 AM
The Worst BTW, nice to see you here, Maxmeister!
After all the criticism on the acts I know, I can tell you, what I would want as an opening act:
Theatre Of Tragedy
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Those are the bands from which I'm currently buying CDs apart from the Stones. I think, that the Stones belong to the first predecessors of metal, as an example the Beggars Banquet album. I saw Theatre Of Tragedy in Vienna on Friday, and they were better than the Stones concert I saw in 1998-clearly no playback (although many instruments: 2 guitars, bass, synthesizer, keyboard, 2 vocalists). Sorry to say this, it simply rocked more than anything I have seen or heard from the Stones in 98 and 99. It would be interesting, if the Stones would also play completely different versions of their old stuff on stage. "Heaven" was a great synth-song by the Stones, although they would not play it on stage without Bill, its lead musician. If you want to, you can hate me and put me down for my messages *lol*...
05-05-02 11:20 AM
Mr T GOV'T MULE!!!!!!!!!!

It'd be cool if Mick Taylor opened for the Stones too
05-05-02 12:34 PM
Dan
quote:
The Worst wrote:
BTW, nice to see you here, Maxmeister!
After all the criticism on the acts I know, I can tell you, what I would want as an opening act:
Theatre Of Tragedy
Helloween
Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden/Queenryche/Halford was my favorite show of 2000!
Rammstein was the best show of 1998. I didnt even know who they were but I was passing by the Palace where they were playing and someone just gave me a ticket so I walked in. It was totally mindblowing to say the least.
I would also enjoy more pyrotechnics by the Stones, in an arena too.
I am back to hoping for a lousy opening act though. I have no plans to attempt for tickets for any of the bigger shows until the day of the show anyway.
05-05-02 01:32 PM
The Worst
quote:
Dan wrote:

Iron Maiden/Queenryche/Halford was my favorite show of 2000!
Rammstein was the best show of 1998. I didnt even know who they were but I was passing by the Palace where they were playing and someone just gave me a ticket so I walked in. It was totally mindblowing to say the least.
I would also enjoy more pyrotechnics by the Stones, in an arena too.
I am back to hoping for a lousy opening act though. I have no plans to attempt for tickets for any of the bigger shows until the day of the show anyway.

So you did get the ticket for free? That's interesting and very cool! I wish, that I would have passed by that right place and at the right time, too .
Dan, where do you come from? I come from Austria. Here, everybody seems to know Rammstein since 1997, but they started their international career later and are meanwhile the German band, that is the most succesful outside Germany, if I remember correctly, what I have read once. I first got to know Rammstein, when I was in hospital because of a skiing accident at the end of 96 or the beginning of 97. On the TV in my room, I saw a Rammstein video. Funny too- thanks to the accident, I got to know the band earlier than most others did!
When I saw the Stones in Austria in 1998, the two opening acts were really crappy Austrian bands, that nobody knows. It's right, that bad opening acts would help me to save money...
05-05-02 01:52 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Worst wrote: I love the Stones, but don't like or buy sixties music in general (unlike what some believe, I have nothing to do with hippies and would prefer to let them rest in peace- including their music).

Here is a reality check. It's odd that you would say that, since The Stones are from that era. The 60's brought us the the best rock bands, musicians and social values then any other decade. As for "resting in Peace", you can fucking forget about that! Some of the best music out these days comes directly from the 60's descendants. Take Phil Lesh and Friends for example, here is a guy 62 years old and tours Spring, Summer and Fall. He plays for three and a half hours at every show. Every show is different, the song selection and the way it's played. It's about the most refreshing music out on the scene. If you ask me, The Stones could take a few pointers from this guy. Who wants to go and see The Stones 10 times and have them to do every show excactly the same? They need to mix it up and keep it refreshing this time around. Anyway back to what I was saying, The Worst, I have no idea what kind of music that you listen to and I really don't care. But, the music of the 60's generation is not going anywhere, it will be around for years to come in one form or another. When all the great 60's bands are gone, the music will live on in younger bands that have learned a lession or two from performers that cared about the music, not just the money. I hate to disapoint you, but this Motherfuck'n Hippie ain't going nowhere right along with the music. Maybe you need a lession in Rock History!

05-05-02 02:09 PM
gypsy So, it's unanimous-GLENN FREY!!!!!
05-05-02 07:19 PM
The Worst Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
The Worst wrote: I love the Stones, but don't like or buy sixties music in general (unlike what some believe, I have nothing to do with hippies and would prefer to let them rest in peace- including their music).
"Here is a reality check. It's odd that you would say that, since The Stones are from that era."
Maybe I should rephrase this: I don't like (or I'm not interested in buying) most of the sixties music. Apart from the Stones, I only burn myself music from the sixties and seventies and buy myself original records from the 80ies, 90ies and 00s.
"The 60's brought us the the best rock bands, musicians and social values then any other decade."
The thing about the social values is surely true. Let's hope, that there will be a revolution of students again!
"As for "resting in Peace", you can fucking forget about that! Some of the best music out these days comes directly from the 60's descendants. Take Phil Lesh and Friends for example, here is a guy 62 years old and tours Spring, Summer and Fall. He plays for three and a half hours at every show."
I don't know him.
"Every show is different, the song selection and the way it's played. It's about the most refreshing music out on the scene. If you ask me, The Stones could take a few pointers from this guy. Who wants to go and see The Stones 10 times and have them to do every show excactly the same? They need to mix it up and keep it refreshing this time around."
I agree, the Stones should change their songs on stage (see one of my messages above, but Theatre Of Tragedy are a gothic-metal-band, quite the opposite of bright flower-power-kids.
"Anyway back to what I was saying, The Worst, I have no idea what kind of music that you listen to and I really don't care."
Sorry, if I have offended you or anybody else. Even if you don't care, I can tell you, that the music I listen to is more and more dark and less and less commercial, so I don't think, that I would belong onto a Santana concert for example. BTW, I think, that meanwhile Carlos also only wants money with all those newcomer stars involved in his recent work. Many hippie people are surely nice, but the music doesn't hit the point to me, I don't buy this talk about an ideal world.

05-05-02 08:10 PM
Scot Rocks Sorry The Worst, Rammnstein are awful my brother got a loan of one of their CDs and every track was the same Shouting and screaming crap, however if you like them its up to you. As for the Corrs, they are pretty pathetic musically...but the girls are nice to look at!!! Moreover, 60s music is definately the best that ever existed and is certainly not just hippy music. In my opinion the 60s and 70s was the golden era of music, with fantastic R&R from bands like the Stones, The Who, Zepplin, Cream and artists like Bowie, Hendrix and Clapton. Today, well who can we use as a comparison...nobody springs to mind, and most of all not Rammnstein!!!!!Would they announce a tour with a Blimp!!!!!!

05-05-02 08:13 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Phil Lesh, former Bass player for the Grateful Dead.
05-05-02 08:22 PM
Dan
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
.nobody springs to mind, and most of all not Rammnstein!!!!!Would they announce a tour with a Blimp!!!!!!

Only if they can re-enact the Hindenburg.
05-05-02 08:33 PM
AlexanderHic The Worst wrote:

"I would prefer acts that play music different from the Stones to open. Nobody can copy the Rolling Stones better than the Rolling Stones themselves can."

Of course. I don't care about those groups, and to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy if there wasn't even an opening act. (Since I'm posting from aztec territory, I believe I'll have to sit through some fancy acts of our own such as El Tri or Man�... brrr...) Anyway, wouldn't it be nice to have some ol' blues guy, a legend or somebody relatively unknown, giving a lesson in humility before some of the predicted bombast, whilst saluting the timeless roots of the band itself? It wouldn't matter if they'd sing an ultra discoish version of "Dance, part 1" since salth would had been scattered through the battlefield before the event.
05-06-02 12:32 AM
Dan
"So you did get the ticket for free?"

Yeah, Two, Rob Halfords band at the time opened which is why I even went in

"Dan, where do you come from?"

Burbank California

05-06-02 01:22 AM
padre Forget about that heavyshit. The warm up band should get the crowd into right mood, not deafen them. And it should be blues or at least based on it. North Misissippi Allstars would do the job nicely, thank you. Young and rising band with the right attitude.
05-06-02 09:27 AM
gypsymofo60 Who in thier right mind would meld The Stones and Rammstienn for Gods' sake! I love the New Lufftewaffe! but with The Stones? Forget it! Where does this shit come from?
Page: 1 2 3

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.