ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
"On the Road" World Tour 2002-2003

Still we're gonna miss you.
Good Times Magazine Nr. 2 April/Mai/Juni 2002
Danke Bendix!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Opening Acts Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
05-02-02 07:36 PM
Ruskafarian Anyone know anything about Opening Acts?

If anyone here is from Canada, (Lazy Bones, I think you'll agree)
is there any word on Big Sugar opening for the Stones when they're
around the Toronto area?

I just hope they pick their opening acts carefully - a shitty
opening act can ruin the fun. Until, of course, the Stones come out.

And - what would be REALLY cool is if they alternated the opening
acts frequently. Kinda like they did for No Security.

Oh yeah - GOOD opening acts PLEASE! I don't want any one-hit
wonders opening (Nickleback <- Canadian band, eh?) I want someone
who's earned a reputation, just like the Stones.
05-02-02 08:05 PM
gypsy I've heard Glenn "Smuggler's Blues" Frey...I heard it from KeepRigid, so it can't just be a rumor...
05-03-02 01:03 AM
Dan >>I've heard Glenn "Smuggler's Blues" Frey...I heard it from KeepRigid, so it can't just be a rumor...

With any luck it will stay a rumor. I am not holding any high hopes so I am going to assume I have more party time and time in the parking lot to find an appropriate ticket.

Who I WOULD like to see:

Cheap Trick (another favorite who I see all the time, all original members; would be worth it to hear all my friends bitch about how much they hate paying $300 just to see CT play 45 mins)

Ramainz (Marky and Dee Dee)
Rammstein (full stage show and all)
Melanie C (Sporty Spice solo - she rocks)
Supergrass
Therapy?
Faster Pussycat
Candy Snatchers (killer cover of "Rip This Joint)
Blue Oyster Cult
Breeders (Kim & Kelley together again!)
Cypress Hill (would love to see the reaction of anyone else who ventures in early)
Dickies
Melvins (ditto above)
Mr Bungle
Billy Idol (was never a fan until I scored a recent bootleg for a friend and I have been listening to it constantly)
the resurrected Hanoi Rocks
Mudhoney
Ted Nugent
Slayer (but only if Dave Lombardo stays in the band)
Ten Years After
Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction

in other words bands I would like to see anyway but would make whatever I pay to see the Stones more worth it.

My guess of course is either Sheryl Crow, Bryan Adams or something a lot like it.
05-03-02 08:12 AM
Scot Rocks Mel C...agghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

what about the Srokes or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
05-03-02 09:13 AM
Honky Tonker I'm with Dan, Cheap Trick would be a great opener. They're my second favorite band, too. Other choices - Lynyrd Skynyrd (they've done it before), the Kinks, Ziggy Marley, or better yet, no opener, just more Stones! I rarely see the opener anyway.
05-03-02 10:19 AM
Cardinal Ximinez I don't need no stinkin' opener.

If we gotta have some form of opener, how about something like Keef's rasta buddies doing rasta chants...or some South African harmony group..something odd, that you wouldn't see otherwise...I say this because the best opening act I ever saw at a Stones show was the Voodoo Drummers at the tour opener in DC '94. It was interesting. Fucking Blues Traveler, The Corrs, Living Color, Counting Crows, SSSnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooorrrrrrrrre!
05-03-02 11:13 AM
Maxmeister [quote]Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
I don't need no stinkin' opener.

Agreed. But you just know what we're going to get. Same old, same old.
The only glimmer of hope is it's the anniversary tour. Maybe they'll pull somethng interesting out of the hat.

Rick

05-03-02 01:05 PM
gypsy Geez, Dan, those are just awful choices...I was only kidding about Frey...But, Blue "more cow bell" Oyster Cult? Cypress "Insane in the Membrane" Hill? A "Spice Girl?" Please tell me you're kidding.
05-03-02 01:21 PM
padre Hell, they could use the same line-up as their first UK tour in -63: Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Everly Brothers. Maybe not much of a musical odyssey, but amazing that all those guys still live today, innit?
05-03-02 01:37 PM
KeepRigid "I don't need no stinkin' opener."

Speak for yourself, Cardinal.

Personally, I happen to like the downtime that the opening acts provide...the chance to walk around and visit the various merchants peddling Stones merchandise...to peruse the tour catalogue...the time-honored tradition of "Christ, are they STILL playing in there?"...etc...
05-03-02 01:39 PM
KeepRigid And gypsy, don't knock Blue Oyster Cult...I'm tellin' you, you're gonna WANT that cowbell.
05-03-02 02:14 PM
gypsy71 I know, Keep, that's why I get mad at BOC-they just don't give me ENOUGH cowbell...they leave me begging for more...more cowbell, that is...
05-03-02 02:56 PM
Cardinal Ximinez KeepRigid wrote: Speak for yourself, Cardinal.
Cardinal Ximinez wrote: I don't need no stinkin' opener.

I don't see any "we", or anything else, to suggest that I was speaking for anybody else...so, in fact, I was speaking for myself.

Helpful hint. If you wait until after the show to hit the merch vendors, you can get better deals. At one show, (Pitt '94, I think) I got a shirt that was selling for $27.00 before the show, for 2 for $30.00, or $15.00 per shirt. This also allows for more pre-show parking lot party time.
05-03-02 03:08 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! I thought Blues Traveler was pretty damn good on the 97' run. They where a great band. As for some on the others, not to much there. It don't matter to me, most of the time I never make it in anyway for the opener.
05-03-02 04:05 PM
KeepRigid "I don't see any "we", or anything else, to suggest that I was speaking for anybody else...so, in fact, I was speaking for myself."

As I tell my friends who like to nitpick whatever bad movie we're watching...'an hour into this, and you find a discrepancy?'

"If you wait until after the show to hit the merch vendors, you can get better deals. I got a shirt that was selling for $27.00 before the show, for $15.00."

Thanks for the tip though. I also wouldn't have to keep up with all that junk during the show...but oh, how that sweet, sweet catalogue tempts me! I must buy now!!
05-03-02 06:17 PM
Dan
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Geez, Dan, those are just awful choices...I was only kidding about Frey...But, Blue "more cow bell" Oyster Cult? Cypress "Insane in the Membrane" Hill? A "Spice Girl?" Please tell me you're kidding.

Not at all.
BOC still rocks.
I dont care for Cypress Hill's studio stuff but they ended up being my favorite out of the whole 2 days of Woodstock 94 PPV.
Melanie C is my all-time favorite female singer and there is little resemblence between her solo stuff and the Spice Girls anyway (her Roxy show last year was one of my top 3 anyway).
Besides I like to think of the Spice Girls as the Rolling Stones of the 90's!

Another thing I would enjoy seeing is my favorite male singer, Mike Patton of Faith No More but instead of singing, clearing his throat into the microphone along with goofy jazz music. While everyone else is crowding around the concessions or booing, I would be genuinly enjoying myself.
05-03-02 06:41 PM
Scot Rocks "Melanie C is my all-time favorite female singer and there is little resemblence between her solo stuff and the Spice Girls anyway (her Roxy show last year was one of my top 3 anyway)."

Eh this is sarcasm...right?!?

05-03-02 07:11 PM
Dan
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
"Melanie C is my all-time favorite female singer and there is little resemblence between her solo stuff and the Spice Girls anyway (her Roxy show last year was one of my top 3 anyway)."

Eh this is sarcasm...right?!?

I meant top 3 of the year (along with Nick Cave and Faster Pussycat), not all time.

here is my CD list. Scroll down a bit.

http://www.geocities.com/ijwthstd/cdr2.html

Or you can look at a lovely picture here.

http://www.geocities.com/ijwthstd/m4501a.jpg

Some people think I am crazy but I think she looks even better now that she has put a little meat on her bones.
05-03-02 07:54 PM
Maxlugar I will except nothing but a dragon running through the audience while a steel drum band plays like their underwear is filled with fire ants.

Sorry, that's just he way I am.
05-03-02 07:58 PM
gypsy Dan, you want Mel C. to open for the Stones? Is that what you want? What you really, really want?
05-03-02 08:38 PM
MRD8 I have a novel idea...how about NO opening act? For the price we are going to have to pay for these shows we should get nothing but long setlists of Stones music...not some crappy opening act that nobody wants to see! We were lucky enough to get Santana in Orlando in '97 but they only played for forty minutes...then on the No Security tour we got the Fly's...a bunch of Ozzy wannabe's...wonder what happened to them? )) The Stones contemporaries that have toured in the last couple of years, i.e. McCartney, CSN&Y, Springsteen, Paul Simon, Billy Joel/Elton John all play alone and play LONG setlists! The Stones used to be trendsetters but they aren't anymore...they need currently popular bands to draw younger fans because they can't sell out all by themselves!
05-03-02 08:52 PM
Dan
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I have a novel idea...how about NO opening act? For the price we are going to have to pay for these shows we should get nothing but long setlists of Stones music

I would be happy with the 25 songs they were averaging on the Steel Wheels tour. This would be a longer set this time around since the breaks between the songs are a bit longer now.
05-03-02 09:08 PM
stonedinaustralia i like the cardinal's idea re something different... having just another "rock band" is more than slightly predictable and mundane... not qualities one likes to assocuiate with the stones... cypress hill is not a bad suggestion (htough practical realities would suggesyt it is more than unlikely in keeping with the (it seems now forgotten tradition of championing black american artists by having them open for them)... although, i suppose the hill are already well known enough already and would probably be a little off putting and confrontational for your "tourist class" stones fan ... how about a jamacian dj type doing the sratch/mix/dub/toast thing or (afgain as the cardinal suggested)a wingless angels type ensemble...

BOC?? What was that all about??

all you cats in nyc have a great time on the 7th...i'll be thinking of you and wishing i was there...

05-03-02 09:18 PM
stonedinaustralia apologies for the grammatical nightmare that is my post on this thread... i (obviously) forgot to proof read the thing...

anyway, hope you made some sense out of it
05-03-02 09:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Opening acts are good to avoid getting late, or to take some additional beers, etc

I agree, let's do a two-acts shows with intermission and a big set.
05-03-02 09:43 PM
gypsy Okay, StonedinAustralia, if I had to pick the lesser of the two evils-Blue Oyster Cult or Cypress Hill-it would definitely be BOC. Cypress Hill sucks! Do you really want a bunch of little smart-mouthed wannabe gang bangers at a Stones concert? I choose cowbell over gang bangers!
05-03-02 10:18 PM
stonedinaustralia well each to his own (man)... it's just my opinion i'm expressing here

and yeah if i had my choice i'd take cypress hill (public enemy perhaps would be my ultimate choice - or 2pac if he were still around - if you wanna refer to what is loosely known as "hip - hop" or "rap" or whatever you want to call it) but you coudn't possibly expect it to happen- at least they're contemporary and funky...BOC ( and admittedly i'm not that au fait with there ouvre (i.e. i don't know a lot of there stuff) always stuck me as just another stodgy "rock band" with little sense of rythm...

as i say just my opinion you understand...
05-03-02 11:25 PM
Cardinal Ximinez The point of going to a Stones show is:

A.) The Rolling Fuckin' Stones
B.) Party with The Stones
C.) Buy Stones stuff
D.) Bask in the goodness that is the Stones.
E.) Bum a blimp ride.
F.) Get your cute female internet friends fucked up in the back of a limo, and get them to cruise down 5th Ave with their tits out the moon roof.

Notice that none of the above mentions an opening act.

Oh, and just for the record, Cyprus Hill was nowhere even CLOSE to being the best thing at Woodstock '94. That title goes to "The Attack of the Mud Monsters" by Nine Inch Nails. Followed closely by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and their amazing lightbulb heads.
05-04-02 12:52 AM
Dan
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:

Oh, and just for the record, Cyprus Hill was nowhere even CLOSE to being the best thing at Woodstock '94. That title goes to "The Attack of the Mud Monsters" by Nine Inch Nails. Followed closely by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and their amazing lightbulb heads.

Forgot about NIN - but Cypress seemed like a lot more fun. I saw RHCP open for the Stones at the Rose Bowl a few months later, minus lightbulbs, doing a slightly shorter version. It was just sorta ho-hum except for some memorable quotes from Anthony Keidis - "This portion of the evening's entertainment is sponsored by Old Milwaukee," "Where are the ramps Mick said I could use?" and "Is Mick plucking his butt hairs yet?"
05-04-02 08:45 AM
Cardinal Ximinez See Dan, this is the main problem with opening for the Stones....you are gonna be ho-hum. It just isn't possible to compete with the Stones on stage.

I've seen the Peppers by themselves on several different occasions...and they were anything but ho-hum. But put on the Stones stage, with the PA set at a fraction of what it can do, in the daylight, with no lightshow...playing to a crowd that just isn't interested in seeing you...well, it's not hard to figure out that most bands will just go thru the motions, play their 45 minutes, and collect their paycheck.

So why do it?

Just bring on the Stones.
Page: 1 2 3

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.